LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Doh! A Deer

dennish

Well more of a huge buck. That's costing me huge bucks. Two days ago on the way home from work a very large male deer decided to run full speed into the side of my truck. It hit my passenger rear door and wiped out everything from there back. Whole bed side everything. And when it hit it actually spun me out luckily I'm used to off road driving where your nearly spinning out all he time so I was able to react fast enough to not roll my truck into the hotdog stand I nearly took out. I had to dile 911 for the first time in a long time. And get a police report so my insurance will cover it. And they do cover deer colision. That's the good news. However I have a thousand dollar deductable Boooo. But at least I'm not as dead as the deer. Had I been in a car or even regular truck the outcome would have been bad. For those who don't know me and my truck it's a ram 2500 diesel lifted 8 inches Rollin on 38.5 inch tires. Pretty much the maximum legal in nj

Dennish:

Sounds like a nice truck. Hope the repairs go well. I live near a lot of state land that is heavily hunted and supports a big deer population. If they would only stay there! I've hit my share. In Michigan, you can keep the kill if it is not too mangled. A lot of good venison is procured that way. Just a bit more expensive than a slug or arrow.

Peace,

No wonder you almost rolled the truck. When it's modified that much it's center of gravity is pretty high, no way to make a last minute avoidance manuver. You also should try driving a smaller (carbon friendly) vehicle some time. You would be surprised how safe they can be.

• Like 1

(glad your not dead, it's even scarier on bikes haha) you probably didn't get it bad because of the truck - a smaller car would of been owned no doubt.

ehh i haven't really heard anything about a lifted truck (legally) going over a car from an accident. I own a 03 silverado with 6 inch lift and 38' wheels - There is no way in hell I could get over a car unless it's a smartcar or im just going 60mphs and that car is stationary (sorry but i think you guys have been watching too much monster jam) - illegal lifts then yes.

Please dont pull out the stricter limitations because I could b**** about cars being deadly when i'm on my motorcycle (it's just not fair :drive1:) - but i knew the risk, buy a truck if you feel your gonna actually get "ran over"

oh and i hope you pulled that bucks antlers off - put those SoB's on the front of your truck haha

Actually... the laws I've seen are less about lifts and more about headlight and bumper height. Legally a vehicle's headlights and bumper can only be but so far off the ground, thus is why headlights on trucks and buses are low, and why bumpers on semi-trucks and trailers are extended... so they can meet this requirement.

Nothing worse than having someone in a lifted truck behind you at night with his headlights shining straight into your rear view mirror.

If I drove a lifted vehicle I would be more worried about someone coming from behind and going up under the truck, where the fuel tank is sitting. Puncture that tank with some flying debris and KABOOM. I saw a Camaro destroyed in this exact way a few years ago. If the truck's bumper had been at a reasonable height it wouldn't have happened.

my bad finn - your right on that part, the headlight part is kind-of a bitch (even mine can blind some cars - i try to keep a distance when at a stop light so the people don't get a headlight tan haha) lifted trucks are fun to have tho, it's just like everything though - there is a point that is excessive.

No wonder you almost rolled the truck. When it's modified that much it's center of gravity is pretty high, no way to make a last minute avoidance maneuver. You also should try driving a smaller (carbon friendly) vehicle some time. You would be surprised how safe they can be.

The deer struck the passenger side rear of his vehicle and caused him to loose control, how exactly would an avoidance maneuver prevent that? Also, a lifted vehicle with the proper suspension underneath it (shocks, struts, springs with the right spring rate), though i will have a higher COG, it will have the systems in place to control that weight. By no means will it be race car, but it also wont be any worse than stock.:whistling:

And BTW, diesel engines produce on average 40-60% less greenhouse gasses than a similarly sized conventional engine, all while getting 30-50% better fuel mileage. The dirty soot you see is unburnt fuel, and unburnt fuel isn't what is destroying the environment.:thumbsup:

In my area they lowered the limit on the max height of trucks because there were some nasty accidents were tall trucks rear ended another car then climbed (which is what those trucks are meant to do) on to the roof crushing the people inside the car.

Yep, and all those 16 something girls, facetwitterspacing, applying the cutest shade of lip gloss *evar* and singing along to the newest lady gaga single, all while piloting a 5000 pound deathUV at 75mph on the freeway are harmless.

OP, Glad to hear you're OK. I drive an unreasonably low 25 year old diesel vw, and i ride motorcycles on occasion, but I fear semis and dumbass drivers, not lifted trucks.:thumbsup:

Ouch, deer are dangerous... Good job it got you on the passenger side (assuming you didn't have a passenger!).

Damn nearly hit some last winter. One ran across the road and was gone in a sec when I was about a 100yds from it. Luckily I knew that when one runs at full pelt like that there's often more behind it and slammed on because a few seconds later, right about where I would have been if I hadn't braked, three more ran across. Would've hit me on the driver's side :o.

Still, I've nearly been wiped out dozens more times in my relatively short driving experience by stupid homo-sapiens than I have by stupid deer :bash:.

In nj they actually regulate the hight from the ground to the bottom of the doors. I guess because this is not easily changed. And the tire diameter is regulated by a percentage of increase from stock depending on the weight class of vehicle. As far as driving a small vehicle. Don't try telling me it's safer. Big wins in accidents 99percent of the time. Someone hit my friend head on in a cat. He was in an excursion. He drove home and the car, totaled and both people injured and off to he hospital. Also believe it or not my truck is formits size extreemly efficient. I get like 17 mpg. It's all about the turbo you have on an engine. I'm surprised there not mandated on everything. I replaced my stock turbo with one that gave me 6 mpg better than stock despite the lift and larger tires :) And I was in a roll over once. Learned my lesson. When you go up you go wider! M truck is like 6 inches wider than stock and passed a stability test at the DMV state inspection faclity. I have also upgraded the steering components to a hydroulically assisted system so manuvering is easier than stock and the steering is stabilized at all speeds. Pretty much upgraded everything except the engine it's self 7k dolled trans and the llift is not a cheap dangerous kit with blocks and stuff. Its a 5k doller pure performance 8 inch desert racing long arm coil over suspension system. Excessive? Yeah. But fun as hell to drive and i like doing things once and doing them right. Oh and I didn't keep the deer although I wish I knew someone who wanted it. I hate seeing any animal go to waste. Oh and the headlights no worries I properly readjusted them. Most people neglect this step when raising a truck and I hate it. It even blinds me way up there lol. It's sad really so many people lift things poorly and give us all a bad name.

Actually... the laws I've seen are less about lifts and more about headlight and bumper height. Legally a vehicle's headlights and bumper can only be but so far off the ground, thus is why headlights on trucks and buses are low, and why bumpers on semi-trucks and trailers are extended... so they can meet this requirement.

Nothing worse than having someone in a lifted truck behind you at night with his headlights shining straight into your rear view mirror.

If I drove a lifted vehicle I would be more worried about someone coming from behind and going up under the truck, where the fuel tank is sitting. Puncture that tank with some flying debris and KABOOM. I saw a Camaro destroyed in this exact way a few years ago. If the truck's bumper had been at a reasonable height it wouldn't have happened.

A lot of lifted trucks have skid plates, including one covering the gas tank. My Jeep has gas tank skid plate and considering its a plastic tank I'm glad i put it on!

• 2 weeks later...

quote name='AutieAB' timestamp='1281744289' post='333311']

Ouch, deer are dangerous... Would've hit me on the driver's side :o.

Still, I've nearly been wiped out dozens more times in my relatively short driving experience by stupid homo-sapiens than I have by stupid deer :bash:.