LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Getting A Bad Rap From Psychiatrists ?

What have all of your experiences with psychiatrists or psychologists been like? I would imagine that most would be fairly professional about the whole thing and accept that fetishes and sexual kinks are a normal part of the human mind, right? Have any of you had bad experiences with them?

My girlfriend had a recent conversation with her psychiatrist where she explained my fetish and also explained that she had recently diapered me at my request. She says that her psychiatrist, upon hearing all this, made a face. A concerned/upset sort of face. And she explained to my girlfriend that I have real issues, should seek mental help, and should see a psychiatrist if I'm not already. (I'm not currently seeing one)

So I am sure that most of you on these boards don't see the fetish/lifestyle as a mental disorder but does the psychiatric community, as a whole, see it that way? What have your experiences been? Thanks for the input, guys.

Psychiatrists only make money by convincing people that they are abnormal and need help. I'm pretty damn sure that her psychiatrist was simply trying to drum up more business. If he presses the issue again, have your girlfriend ask for a referal to a sex therapist as an average shrink would not have any expertise on the issue. If I ever go for the BPD, I'm not bringing up this stuff, unless the shrink heads that direction.

• Like 3

Agree with the others. Psychs are like mechanics (no offence to any mechanics here :P) in that if you employ one, you need to be able to stand up to them and say "no, I do not need new brake cylinders and an oil change - I came in here for tyres, leave it at that."

It's the same with shrinks. You need to know what's OK and what's not or they'll try and mould you back into the cookie cutter definition of normal they read about in textbooks.

• Like 2

What have all of your experiences with psychiatrists or psychologists been like? I would imagine that most would be fairly professional about the whole thing and accept that fetishes and sexual kinks are a normal part of the human mind, right? Have any of you had bad experiences with them?

My girlfriend had a recent conversation with her psychiatrist where she explained my fetish and also explained that she had recently diapered me at my request. She says that her psychiatrist, upon hearing all this, made a face. A concerned/upset sort of face. And she explained to my girlfriend that I have real issues, should seek mental help, and should see a psychiatrist if I'm not already. (I'm not currently seeing one)

So I am sure that most of you on these boards don't see the fetish/lifestyle as a mental disorder but does the psychiatric community, as a whole, see it that way? What have your experiences been? Thanks for the input, guys.

It's the old ....Let us fix, what isn't broken syndrome...just because you like to wear diapers is hardly an excuse to see a shrink. You are not hurting yourself, or others, so why do they feel the need to put us on the right path. We would all be robots if the shrinks and the government had their way. Spend thousands on a Dr. over an offbeat article of clothing. No thanks doc, I'm happy being me, diapers and all.

i see a psychiatrist for medication management. The topic of my sex life came up in the initial interview, as it does because its part of the standard questions they ask you. I said yes i'm sexually active, yes with one partner, yes i've always been safe. I made a joke saying "with the activities i engage in, safe means baby powder and swipers" well obviously a half joke. He was like never heard of that combination before, so i said, ohhh diaper fetish age play. He was like well as long as you're happy. And then we moved on.

I think part of it is that those in the mental health field are supposed to be in tune with not just what you say, but how you say it, including tone of voice, facial movements and body language. You make think you are presenting yourself in a confident manner, but your body language may say something else. Actually not just those in the mental health field, but doctors in general pay attention to all this.

at any rate, the mental health field has become more of a 'keep people in therapy as long as possible' professional as opposed to what it should be which, is, get em in, teach em coping skills, and turn em lose.

It could be that your girlfriends psychiatrist has her own hang ups, and perhaps she is NOT the one for your girlfriend to see. Just like doctors, you don't always find a good match with the first one and there is no reason to feel as if you have to stay with a certain practitioner if you don't like them.

• Like 1

And she explained to my girlfriend that I have real issues, should seek mental help,

The Dr. is 100% off base.

For just about every issue, diapers included the DSM specifies that its a problem when the AB/DL etc is caused anxiety by it for a period of 6 mos. In other words unless your bothered by it its not a issue that you need to deal with. (The DSM does not explain how to reconcile this standard with psychosis or sociopathic behavior, however)

I would advise: your girlfriend should get another shrink (He's incompetent and judgemental) You and she should talk about the diaper issue.

Anondl

well and for any psychiatrist to say someone they have never met and only know about through heresay needs help is completely unprofessional, and quite honestly your girlfriend should make a complaint to the certification board

I'm seeing a shrink to deal with social anxiety and have no intentions of bringing this up. It really has nothing to do with the problem, as I leave the diapers at home when I go out, so it's none of their business. And quite frankly, the shrink has no real interest in my home life, as the problem is with my social life (or somewhat lack thereof).

I've had one therapist gasp in horror and freak out and tell me to stop when I told her about this. Then again, she also said that I was pretty poorly educated and that she thought I was going to have a serious obesity problem in the future.

She committed suicide about a year after I stopped seeing her.

The other two that I have told about it were pretty much like, 'Whatever, I encounter a lot of people with that fetish, people have different sexual tastes. Unless you think it's a problem it isn't one.'

Word to the wise though, a lot of therapists are crooks who just tell people what they want to hear. One person could come in and say that they are offended by their partner's sexual fetish, and the shrink would tell them they are right to be. Another person comes in and tells them that their partner won't accept their sexual fetish, so they tell them to back them up. Same shrink, two different opinions on the same issue.

well and for any psychiatrist to say someone they have never met and only know about through heresay needs help is completely unprofessional, and quite honestly your girlfriend should make a complaint to the certification board

Bear in mind psychiatrists are people too. Sometimes they wear their psychiatrist hat and sometimes they don't. Give them a break, and bear mind that after 4 years of university, 4 years of medical school, 1 year of internship and often 5 years of residency, plus time in the field... they know more than you. It's not an easy job and if you think you can do better... well, go through what they have, and let me know how it works out. Try seeing things from the other side of the couch.

Nothing personal, but people seem all too quick to beat up on those who have gone through a lot of sacrifice for an altruistic profession. Tell me all about your 13 years of schooling, going into debt, 18 hour days of intensity to get into the health profession and the good you've done and the mistakes you've made and perhaps dialog is possible.

Presenting the other side of the equation,

--Lex

• Like 2

...psychiatrists are helpful whe you have a mental problem you KNOW needs to be solved, but just because you're a DL doesn't mean you need to chalk up a thousand dollars. It means the psychiatrist wants a new car.

I concluded mine had boat payments... I fired him when he started comparing me to Hitler's mother. Yes, you read that right! I thought the guy was on crack for a minute... then I realised that the thoughts of the new boat must have been making him delusional. Being on a boat can do that. (search youtube for "I'm on a boat" and you'll see what I mean)

Most of my old therapists went "Uhhhhhhhhhh...Wha?" in a confused way when I mentioned my lilness. That reaction was even after post-explanation, so I always dropped it.

My last therapist had the same reaction initially, but then tried to make me grow up. After numerous sessions explaining what my lilness is to me, she stopped that.

~ moogle

I concluded mine had boat payments... I fired him when he started comparing me to Hitler's mother. Yes, you read that right! I thought the guy was on crack for a minute... then I realised that the thoughts of the new boat must have been making him delusional. Being on a boat can do that. (search youtube for "I'm on a boat" and you'll see what I mean)

He must of had his swim trunks and his flippy floppies!

~ moogle

Well I'm pretty sure a "therapist" doesn't need that much schooling, I think you are talking about a "psychiatrist."

In fact just read several places using Google and you can become state licensed as a therapist with just a masters degree in family and marriage counseling or several other masters degrees that are specific for therapy and you don't need to go to medical school for that.

you really only need the medical school to prescribe drugs. I used to work in behavioral health and there are far too many 'fake' doctors out there. the egos and aover all sense of 'godness' on some of these blokes was laughable. Yeah you are a therapist and I'm just a temp, but all I have to do is click denied and you don't get paid!!!! Who's a 'god' now?! LOL

a therpist i.e. a lcsw or lcc MUST had a masters degree in either social work or counseling and must do so many hours of internship, along with so many hours of supervision... plus they must have so many continuing education credits a year to maintain their license.

a psychiatrist must go to medical school and obtain their MD.

A psychologist must have a PhD in psychology.

so if you are seeing any therapist they have at least a masters.....

but this isn't to say they aren't a quakc.

and yes therapists are 'only human' however they go through all that schooling to be trained how to bite thier tongue, how to keep their own biases out of hte room, and if a therapist was as outspoked as the op's girlfriends was, then the therapist needs to back to undergrad school where they teach basic interviewing techniques. Its one thing for a therapist to register surprise, quite another to insist someone they have never met and only heard about from one person needs imediate mental health counseling.

I have come to notice on here and other "fetish" or "alternate lifestyle" forums that a simple question, query or information request always degrades to bashing whatever profession or service is being asked about. I've been to Therapists twice in my adult life and found it worth both the time and money involved. It had nothing to do with my diaper thing so that never came up but I certainly would have talked about it if it looked like that was part of my issues. All professions have good, average and mediocre practioners. I have certainly fired a doctor or 2 in my life and at least one attorney.

I guess what I am asking is since the subject wasn't: "Tell about your bad therapy experiences", Which is more reprehensible; psychiatrists, psychologists or therapists?" what is the point of slamming an entire professional group that has helped 10's of thousands of people?

If you don't get along with your therapist find another one or discuss the problem with the one you got.

Anyway, just something to think about.

Guest Wetnmessy247

Therapists are of many shapes and colors.

I've had good experiecnes, and bad ones.

One therapit totally understood my love for incontinencein diapers and helped me ya know, live the lifestyle as best she could.

While another ridiculed me and called me....things. Not nice words. I wanted to sure her but.....I didn't. I prefer to keep my pampered tushy out of sticky situations like that.

Pun NOT intended.