LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Any Pro Gun / Gun Owners Here?

I'm pro gun. I have a mossberg combat shotgun to prove it. It's not as portable as a pistol but I want it to defend my home not carry with me.

Most home invasion shootings happen at a distance of 7 feet. While a shot gun is big and will do the damage needed, it is easier for an intruder to grab and deflect at close range, I would suggest a large caliber pistol for home protection.

so... I made a trip to the gun shop today....

I picked up a Remington 700 in .308 with some bushnell glass on it.... and my 10 day wait begins....

I consider it an early B-Day gift... so I won't pick it up until the 17th.

My favorite is my Colt 1911 Combat Commander. Just racking the slide is enough to scare most people away that might be "in the wrong place" but it would just be for show because the round is already chambered. I have a few splatter guns and some long rifles, too but the .45 just feels better in the small of my back.

Here in the US, regardless of what the government says or the supreme court does, the citizens have the right to arms that the government cannot take away. "Reasonable Gun Control" is not. Innocent until proven guilty is the phrase I like to quote back to them. You don't know someone is a drunk driver until they are caught. Cars don't cause drunk driving any more than guns cause crime.

Doctors kill more people each year than guns. In 2006, 30,896 were killed with firearms for ALL reasons, homicide, accident, etc. That's about what the flu kills each year. Doctors, on the other hand, killed 106,000 with drug accidents in 2000 alone. They killed another 129,000 from all other reasons including unnecessary surgery and hospital infections like MRSA.

Did you know MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus)is a strain of staph infection that is almost exclusively found in hospitals? Think about that the next time the nurse is tightening the halo pins in your skull.

Rerfernces:

http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html

http://www.joyfulaging.com/iatrogenic.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735

• Like 1

What do you think of the Mossberg? I have a Mossberg 500 but I have never shot it. I bought it new. I had a situation where my wife's ex-husband wanted to drive his pickup truck through my living room wall. The asshole changed his mind when he saw the shotgun.

I like it. For what I use it for, it is perfect.

I have a Gew. 98. It's a bolt action 30-06, helluva kick to it. It's my first rifle =D Planning on getting a shotty next, and a pistol in a couple months (gotta turn 21.) I think I'll get a AR-15 sometime too.

The prices on AR-15s are getting back to normal. The panic buying that started on November 5, 2008 is starting to let up a little bit. Ammo is still crazy expensive. The .223 is at about 45 cents a round.

In Florida, I can walk into a gun store and walk out in 15 minutes with a rifle or shotgun. Handguns, you have to wait three days.

it is stronger but still to a bear its nothing but a bit of pain, it might be enough to scare off a loner bear or buy you enough time to make an escape, but in your instance of a sow with four cubs it is highly unlikely it would save you, no bear is more viscous than one protecting its cubs if you used the mace in that scenario i think you'd still be eaten

Incorrect. There has never been a person killed by a bear in my town in Southeast Alaska, and there are more grizzlies in Southeast Alaska than the rest of the U.S.A. This summer there have been two bear attacks, in both cases the sow knocked down the lone hiker and nothing more.

I have a few friends that work out at hatcheries, two of them have used bear mace and have gotten away safely.

I think we come from two different mindsets.

owning guns is an american right, and everyone should express it, i am a big advocate of firearms, and a card carying member of the NRA(national Rifle Association) and own 10 firearms,

Shotguns

Mossberg 500 12 GA

Winchester 1300 12 GA

New England Firearms 20 GA

Rifles

WASR-10 (ak-47 clone) 7.62x39

Yugo SKS 7.62x39

Ruger 10/22 .22

WWII Nagant (Russian Infantry Rifle) 7.62x54R

WWII Arisaka (Japanese Infantry Rifle) Dont Know, Never Shot This One

Pistols

Ruger P90D .45 ACP

1851 Confederate Navy Revolver .44 (Black Powder Pistol)

I'm willing to bet you that its only a matter of whoever had been killed in your town by a bear didn't live to tell someone a bear did it.

For one the two people you spoke of were very lucky, and for another maybe your town avoids attacks so well because that town is better educated how to react around a bear, since as you say you have a high population of them.

And as far as assuming that bear mace will always work because it worked for two of your friends I think that's near sighted, I could pull up lots of examples of people being killed by bears with a sole defense of bear mace, but what's the point I'll just agree to disagree.

Hmmmm, interesting. I'll concede when you bring up some examples. But I will give a little; bears that wake up from their turpor during the winter are bad news, and have been shot on occasion.

• Like 1

Yes, I have a gun. A very trustworthy rifle know as the Ruger 10/.22. Mostly, she's for target shooting/plinking with family members. But, she's been useful win varment control and hopefully won't ever actually need to be used for home defense. Besides the standard 10-shot clip that came with her, I've also got a 50 shot clip.

Ruger1022.jpg

But Ruger's just one of my many home defense options. There's more than what's in this picture, too. For scale reference, those are 18" Colman machetes, available at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods/camping section.

HomeProtectionKit.jpg

I got some nifty steak knives from the dollar store. I once accidentally cut myself with one and didn't notice I was cut until I noticed my finger was bleeding. I don't do much blade sharpening, as I'm more fond of the idea of causing an intruder to suffer, rather than just cutting them up. I've also got a nice collection of pocket knives, including a nice, hefty 3" bladed Old Timer that can be used as a descent blunt weapon when folded up. I've also got a Daisy BB pistol. But that's more for keeping the neighbor dogs out of the yard, or scaring off birds without disturbing the neighbors. Still, it could put an eye out...

I found a link what this proves is that bear spray is very effective BUT I only set out to state guns are more effective, it shows that 2% of attacks were the bear is sprayed with mace still result in injury, so after the bear is sprayed he still attacks, who knows for how long, but that bear won't be attacking if he's been shot. Unless you miss. The study brought up another good point, what good is bear spray in strong wind.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.2193/2006-452

"comprehensive look at a sample of bear spray incidents that occurred in Alaska, USA, from 1985 to 2006. We analyzed 83 bear spray incidents involving brown bears ( Ursus arctos; 61 cases, 74%), black bears( Ursus americanus; 20 cases, 24%), and polar bears( Ursus maritimus; 2 cases, 2%). Of the 72 cases where persons sprayed bears to defend themselves, 50 (69% involved brown bears, 20 (28%) black bears, and 2 (3% polar bears. Red pepper spray stopped bears undesirable behavior 92% of the time when used on brown bears, 90% for black bears, and 100% for polar bears. Of all persons carrying sprays, 98% were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters. All bear- inflicted injuries ( n = 3) associated with defensive spraying involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization required). In 7% (5 of 71 of bear spray incidents, wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in all cases. In 14% (10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation (11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71). "

Well, yea you proved your point. I suppose if you wanted to take down an aggressive bear, you are better off with a gun. However, my choice not to shoot a bear isn't grounded in the fact that bear spray is better, but there isn't a need to debate said groundings.

Point well proved, good sir.

Well, just because a bear still attacked after a mace spray, doesn't mean he wouldn't of still attacked after a gun shot wound.

Bear Mace is equivalent in my mind to any standard hand gun caliber...

Bears have a very low heart rate, and most non-magnum calibers won't drop a bear. There is a video on youtube of a hunt where a sow charges a few hunters, takes a 7mm Rem mag to the face, and still runs away for another 150 yards, where she wallows... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc

Even shooting a bear, if it's intent is to maul you... you're going to get mauled most likely. Best option is to stay clear, stay aware of your surroundings, and make LOTS of noise.

Geez.... does any of this feel like we could be talking hypotheticals about zombies? anyways... just saying.

B