LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diaper Pictures On Lone

Folks,

Hope this is the correct place to put this....if not feel free to delete or move...

I have to admit, I'm am always subliminally searching newspapers, magazines and ad's for issues related to our interests.

Recently, in the small "services available", ad sections of local papers I've noted an increase in the number of pictures of babies. As in the pitch being, "surely you'll do the best for your baby even in these hard times so come spend your cash with us" type deals....

Curiously, I've noted that most baby pictures show them in cloth diapers and baggy plastic pants....NOT....disposibles (with the exception of ads directed at disposable sales).....

In fact just saw one this morning showing chubby baby in baggy plastic pants crawling on floor...the ad was for carpet cleaning....

This has not been a scientific study mind you...but the percentages of cloth/plastic pants pictures has been running about 75%/25% which in this day of disposables, seems rather high.

There was even an ad from a med supply company showing plastic pants (actually the nasty Salk PUL pants) but discussing disposable diapers for adults...

So...

Any one else notice something like this...

And, why??? Why show cloth and baggy plastic pants and not disposable...

Wetpants

im gona guess it has something to do with profit margins! likley there is beter profit margin on cloth nappies thus the manufacturers have more spare for advertiseing (even if it is not directly aimed at their brand.

the other option is that people concider cloth to be a more healthy and environmentaly friendly nappy (dispite the fact that this is generaly not the case)

the third option (and im just being silly here) is that they have realised that people look cuter with realy large nappies on and doubling up cloth nappies is less obvious than boosting or doubling disposeables!

There are a couple reasons actually. First, disposable diapers are pretty easy to determine brand simply by viewing them. They don't want to advertise another company, so they use very generic cloth diapers and plastic pants. Second, a lot of people have ecological issues with disposable diapers, so to remain politically correct they use washable and reusable cloth diapers and plastic pants.

In this day and age you can't overlook any detail when advertising, because some radical group will inevitably jump on you for any indiscretion.

Cloth diapers are considered more environmentally sound, although I'm not so sure when you factor in water use electricity and the chemicals used in cleaning. Green sells right now companies that appear green are considered more responsible and more worthy of receiving peoples money.

I think it's more the branding issue, rather than some shadowy coven of environmentalists. The likes of KimberlyClake and Procter & Gamble are more likely to give their lawyers a call over this than tree huggers. I know who I'd rather be sued by :P

There also could be non-sinister explanations:

Those pictures of the babies could well be stock photos. Prices for using older stock photos are less than for new photos.

Some of those photos might show the actual owner of the store while an infant. That being the case if the owner is older than 45 cloth diapers were standard.

All possible, my vote is for the environmental reasons, people don't like to see disposables being used... another possibility - as an amateur photographer - cloth diapers photograph considerably better as disposables degrade quickly and look wrinkly and nasty, while a vinyl pant can be smoothed out over and over.

I still stand by my statement about political correctness. I got my degree in marketing and there are so many things going on behind the scenes that most people don't realize...

Examples...

The milk is kept in the back of the grocery store, because it's the most commonly bought item. If you have to walk by everything else in the store to buy milk, it increases the chances you'll buy something else in addition to the milk.

Women's lingerie is almost always placed near men's clothes, because men will buy more expensive designer clothes if they can see the women's lingerie. And women buy more expensive lingerie if they see men watching them shop.

The expensive cereals in the breakfast aisle and eye level to your average child, while the cheaper cereals are on the top and bottom shelves. This gets the kids begging for the expensive cereal with the cartoon on the front.

Toys are usually near children's clothes, so when you go to buy your kid new pants he sees the toys and begs you to buy him one.

And finally... All that stuff you see while standing in line (nail clippers, lighters, etc) is the stuff that normally doesn't sell well, but everyone needs. That small aisle is called Force Feed. :P

DprdJeff,have you ever heard of the beer'n'diapers theory?

lol, I remember that when I worked at a Shop 'n Save - Beer and Diapers, Candy and Cards/magazines (So kids can demand candy while mom looks at Woman's World, lol.)

In the marketing world, images of infants directed towards the aging baby boomers will, more often than not, show the baby clad in cloth diapers and plastic pants. That is because, although pampers were invented in the early 40's, they didn't really become mainstream until the tail end (mid to late 1960's) of the boomer generation. I am aware of this as I was a baby boomer, yet my little sister and brother were not. I wore cloth, they wore disposables. These boomers tend to associate cloth diapers and plastic pants with actual infants.

On the other side of life (old age) it's similar. Does anyone else find it interesting that, as the baby boomers age and become incontinent, they aren't being sold on cloth? Non-abdl boomers hate to have their incontinence issues associated with infant diapers. That's why cloth diapers and plastic pants aren't so successful as marketed toward these very same adults. Depends and others all started out as disposable briefs but boomers complain about these also as being used only by (modern day) infants. So we are seeing hybrid "absorbent underwear" marketed towards everyday incontinence, instead.

My hope is that the general public attitude about not only incontinence issues but more importantly the "inconvenience of having to hold it for a toilet" will eventually change. Hopefully we'll see the mainstreaming of disposable diapers as newer generations of aging adults find the true usefulness of great diapers such as Bambinos, Molicare and Abena x-plus. Perhaps the world will one day use disposable diapers for entire lives - or perhaps its just a pipe dream. Meanwhile, we should just wear want we want to wear.

Of course, eventually the world will convert over to the "eco" diapers that biodegrade - but personally I "need" and use the thick and thirsty, babyish, crinkly, adjustable and comfy Bambino adult baby diaper for my lifestyle so I won't hold my breath (or urine or feces for that matter.)

That is because, although pampers were invented in the early 40's...

Actually, Pampers weren't introduced until 1961. While the first disposable diaper was technically invented in 1942, it wouldn't be recognizable as a diaper today--it was only the square absorbent layer and was still intended to be used inside waterproof panties.

Regards,

ultrapampers

Disposable Diaper Historian & Diaper Collector Extraordinaire :D

DprdJeff,have you ever heard of the beer'n'diapers theory?

I have, but it was proven inaccurate. Now you will find the beer and chips together. Why? Because salty potato chips make you thirstier, so you buy more beer. And when people buy beer, they tend to buy chips if they're prominently displayed.

Following current fads is also a big thing in the marketing world. Just recently this whole anti-transfat campaign started, so now every other food product has a label stating "NOW 0g TRANS FAT!" even if they never had trans fat beforehand.

I used to work for an ad agency / photographer, and the reason is:

You try to avoid anything that might cheapen the shot, anything disposable, temporary, or cheap.

When shooting a kitchen, get rid of the garbage can... bathroom, toilet paper dispenser/plunger, etc.

It would be like selling cabinetry and photographing a drawer with plastic forks inside it.

When we'd do baby shoots, the baby usually was in a disposable, with with a cover over it.

I have, but it was proven inaccurate. Now you will find the beer and chips together. Why? Because salty potato chips make you thirstier, so you buy more beer. And when people buy beer, they tend to buy chips if they're prominently displayed.

Actually to me that proves the exact thing, it just got updated. Putting beer and chips together as you say makes no sense. Why because? If you don't buy them at the same time, then after the fact buying chips that are salty and beer is irrelevant. If your gonna party then Chips and beer are a given. But If the Chips at the party make you thirstier then where does that leave you. You bought chips and beer at the same time, therefore if the two didn't balance out you go back and buy more beer. I live in a town where we are one of the three original test markets, never have I seen both located in the same isle..well less a quickie mart or something but that has to do with space not advertising. But for the mainstream store (Krogers..Ect.) it isn't happening..just my view. :huh:

Actually to me that proves the exact thing, it just got updated. Putting beer and chips together as you say makes no sense. Why because? If you don't buy them at the same time, then after the fact buying chips that are salty and beer is irrelevant. If your gonna party then Chips and beer are a given. But If the Chips at the party make you thirstier then where does that leave you. You bought chips and beer at the same time, therefore if the two didn't balance out you go back and buy more beer. I live in a town where we are one of the three original test markets, never have I seen both located in the same isle..well less a quickie mart or something but that has to do with space not advertising. But for the mainstream store (Krogers..Ect.) it isn't happening..just my view. :huh:

People tend to buy beer by the case or half case to save money. Then they take it home and drink one or three and save the rest for later. Potato chips are an impulse item. You didn't go the store to buy chips, but when you see them you are tempted to buy them. Once you get home, you eat some chips and instead of drinking one or three beers, you finish the case. Then next time you want a beer, you have to go back to the store and start the cycle over again.

Also, some stores don't follow marketing theories and arrange their stores based on what's best for restocking. This is especially true of 24 hour stores that need an efficient restocking method. Overall though, most stores use some or all of these marketing strategies.

I used to work for an ad agency / photographer, and the reason is:

You try to avoid anything that might cheapen the shot, anything disposable, temporary, or cheap.

When shooting a kitchen, get rid of the garbage can... bathroom, toilet paper dispenser/plunger, etc.

It would be like selling cabinetry and photographing a drawer with plastic forks inside it.

When we'd do baby shoots, the baby usually was in a disposable, with with a cover over it.

Now this makes sense to me......

Psychology is such an interesting thing....too bad it involves people...they are sooooo messy