LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Torn/ripped Plastic Pants

I'd love to here what you people do with torn and ripped plastic pants, other than just throwing them away.

I know there is some liquid glue type of stuff for repairing plastic in general, but I'd love to hear the best approach to this.

My apologies if this has already been addressed.

thanks.

Inky

Up until recently I have not been able to find Plastic pants, so I have been using garbage bags. Once I am done with it, I just pitch it or save it for the next use, depending on weather the holes I made for my legs are too stretched out to hold in any liquids. Once I get some actual plastic or rubber pants , I will tell you.

Use the worst torn to fix the others. Cut patches of plastic from an old pair and use PVC pipe cement to seal it. Get the clear cement from wal-mart. Use a paper weight to hold the patch in place until the cement drys. Put the patch on the inside.

I'd love to here what you people do with torn and ripped plastic pants, other than just throwing them away.

I know there is some liquid glue type of stuff for repairing plastic in general, but I'd love to hear the best approach to this.

thanks.

Inky

I actually use Vinyl cement that I had from a water bed patch kit. I really doubted it was going to work, but it did and very well. I know perhaps Vulcanize might not be the best term, but I do think it does slightly melt the surfaces back together. I haven't used it on a big rip yet. About the biggest was about 2 inches. I just overlapped slightly the two edges and gave them a slight rub together then put a weight down on the seam. In about 5 minutes they were fixed. I might ad that the repair is still just as flexible as the original pant. Haven't noticed anything as yet that shows it isn't going to hold up. I do hand wash though. Best of luck.

EDIT: I deleted your double post, it had no comments, and this one had more views.

Up until recently I have not been able to find Plastic pants, so I have been using garbage bags. Once I am done with it, I just pitch it or save it for the next use, depending on weather the holes I made for my legs are too stretched out to hold in any liquids. Once I get some actual plastic or rubber pants , I will tell you.

Here are some places to look for plastic pants online:

http://www.b4ns.com

http://www.babykins.com/

http://www.fetware.com/

http://www.comcomfg.com/

http://www.shop4pvc.com/

http://www.plastic-pants.com/index.htm

http://www.acmhtedi.com/acms/

http://lj-supply.com/

I'm sure there are others, but check these out.

Interesting post! Most of the rips and tears I've experienced are due to drying and cracking - I guess from baby oil, etc I've used.

I'm not sure what to use to avoid this situation...I read somewhere that Desetin is good to use to prevent rashes (different topic) - does it harm the plastics as well?

I don't know if there is any way of patching enough of a pant to solve this sort of problem, is there? Obviously the best way is to prevent the situation by not using oils or creams, but then how do you prevent rash? (and again, this probably ought to be in a separate post...)

Interesting post! Most of the rips and tears I've experienced are due to drying and cracking - I guess from baby oil, etc I've used.

I'm not sure what to use to avoid this situation...I read somewhere that Destine is good to use to prevent rashes (different topic) - does it harm the plastics as well?

I don't know if there is any way of patching enough of a pant to solve this sort of problem, is there? Obviously the best way is to prevent the situation by not using oils or creams, but then how do you prevent rash? (and again, this probably ought to be in a separate post...)

This kinda fits this posts...

A while back a member posted in the forums about plastic pants cracking and becoming brittle. He mentioned "some" Chemical that is used in the production of vinyl that is deteriorated over time and contact with petroleum products (oils and cremes). While I never had followed up on it, he seemed to know all about the situation as he was in the industry in some way. Basically the chemical can be found in the "new" car smell sprays you find at AutoZone and what have you.

If you have some pants that are starting to get brittle, perhaps this is a way to go. For a few bucks I imagine you could treat quite a few pairs, I guess after wards you just wash off the spray and smell, the chemical is absorbed into the plastic and will remain. Like I said I haven't tried it but what the heck...if it doesn't do anything you can use the rest in your car and dream about what it smelled like when new!! :P:huh:

How about for mood light, use them as lamp shades! :lol:

I'm guessing the chemical Repaid 1 is referring to is Armour All. It's used on dashboards to prevent them from getting brittle.

I'll try it on a pair that is getting brittle, this pair is from b4ns that I bought about 5 years ago. I highly recommend them but they are very expensive. I'll try it on mone and give a report back, wonder if it will be a problem going on the skin?

I highly recommend Fetware's high back polyurethane pants, they are noisy but fun and feel good.

"UltraFlex Clear (Polyurathane) and Tinted Colors

Thin, light, and cooler than any vinyl.

Durable and unharmed by detergents, oils, or lubricants."

Phil

This kinda fits this posts...

A while back a member posted in the forums about plastic pants cracking and becoming brittle. He mentioned "some" Chemical that is used in the production of vinyl that is deteriorated over time and contact with petroleum products (oils and cremes). While I never had followed up on it, he seemed to know all about the situation as he was in the industry in some way. Basically the chemical can be found in the "new" car smell sprays you find at AutoZone and what have you.

If you have some pants that are starting to get brittle, perhaps this is a way to go. For a few bucks I imagine you could treat quite a few pairs, I guess after wards you just wash off the spray and smell, the chemical is absorbed into the plastic and will remain. Like I said I haven't tried it but what the heck...if it doesn't do anything you can use the rest in your car and dream about what it smelled like when new!! :P:huh:

I've saved some plastic and rubber panties that tore, but only the ones that seemed to be decently repairable, which I haven't tried to do yet. If there is enough material left or it's an elastic issue, a repair shouldn't be too hard to do. Duct tape(the handyman's best friend ;) )or cloth medical adhesive tape makes for a usable temporary fix that will remain waterproof as long as it stays stuck, but it won't last forever and it isn't pretty :(

I'm no chemist but many of them say that once the chemicals in plastic have leached out there is no way of putting them back. The only known way to put them in is during the manufacturing process. These same people said that stuff like "Armor All" really doesn't add to the life of plastics except in the case of helping block the sun's UV rays which is the worst-case scenario for plastic leaching(YMMV). One of them(also a pilot)recommended using an expensive de-icing boot preservative made by a company which is no longer in business. Maybe there are similar products out there but I never looked beyond the one I heard about. If it really worked there, you'd think it would work about anywhere. And as little sunlight as my plastic panties see :o I wonder if anything would be worth the cost and bother.

Now back to housework for me ;)

Bettypooh

thanks.

Inky

There's a vinyl repair adhesive called "Blue Magic" that _al-Mart use to sell. I haven't seen it in some of the stores that I frequent these days, but it's in the bedding department. It's for waterbed repair. Give that a try if you can find it. It or something similar may be other places too.

No the chemical I was referring to wasn't Armor-All, that's water soluble, so wouldn't do much other than to make your pant's slide all over the place. The chemical is only in the "New Car spray scent" deodorizers spray thingee's. And it was reported to reverse the cracking and brittleness in plastic pants. Like I said, I never got around to trying it, but I guess I have a few pair I could experiment on soon.

Gotcha on the product differences Repaid ;)

I don't think I want to be wearing a new car, only driving one :lol: And 'Armor-all' has it's uses such as on motorcycle seats and tires :huh: It's loads of fun watching an idiot falling off the seat or dropping the bike that they just spent SO much time on getting it shiny. You'd be surprised how many non-thinkers try it on their bikes and learn the lesson the hard way :blush:

Not having known anyone who tried it, the 'new car smell' stuff might work, yet it goes against what little I know of plastic engineering. Plastics are long-chain polymers where electrons combine, share, and link during manufacturing becoming new solids. This is mainly a mechanical bonding produced by heating and mixing. The loss of pliability and softness is due to those electrons escaping into the surrounding enviroment which is what you smell with new plastics. Once they escape, they can't be put back without going through the heating and mixing process all over again. At least that is what I heard from folks who should know. That's why I never dug any deeper on the subject :(

I'd love to be proven wrong on this :) It would be awesome to save the various plastic stuff all of us have from it's relatively short lifespan. Maybe somebody here will give it a try and share their results with us. You'll know who it is when you walk past someone with a suspiciously thick bottom and suddenly get an uncontrollable urge to go car shopping :roflmao:

Bettypooh

• 4 weeks later...

Use the 33 Gallon trash bags and pin them on like a diaper, then you can always pull on some pants over top.

I have been searching for real noisy plastic pants, do you know of any?

thanks.

Inky

An update on this experience ;)

I have saved several plastic panties with physical damage like torn sides and rips at the elastic by sewing them on my machine. For tears, overlap the plastic as little as possible then use a close straight stitch. Where leg elastics have ripped from the main body I cut both sides off as close as possible to keep them even and resewed them. To seal the repairs I use Shoe Goo, a popular clear glue used by hikers and campers. It can be messy so be careful, and it doesn't stretch much so it's no good to reseal elastics but after a dozen wearings the rest of my repairs are just as good as when I did them :) For elastics I use a medium or wide zig-zag stitch. I had a couple pairs where the elastiscs were too loose from new(which is stupid, why can't sellers learn to read a measuring tape?)so with a stitch-ripper I removed these and sewed them back a bit smaller B) Rubber panties are not as easy to work with and you might have to ease off the presser foot to keep from chewing the rubber up as you sew. These repairs have held but don't seem like they'll hold up long and the glue peels unless the rubber is slightly stretched when you apply it. Shoe Goo will dry just like you leave it so you might have to smooth it out to keep it from being scratchy. Put a bit of Vaseline on threads where the cap goes on the glue tube or the cap may become glued to the tube and require pliers the remove it the next time you need it :o When I can find the time I am going to try making some plastic panties from scratch.

Now that I have a little experience sewing I will never think that everything is overpriced again. It's harder to do a good job than you'd think and it takes longer than you'd think too. It is fun when you do good but quite frustrating when things don't go right. Make sure the bobbin had plenty of thread before you sew your best stitch ever only to have it fall apart when you remove it from the machine. Please don't ask how I know this :roflmao:

Bettypooh