LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Ont. Health Minister Prepared To Don Adult Diaper

Ont. health minister prepared to don adult diaper

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0227?hub=Health

Updated Wed. Feb. 27 2008 2:03 PM ET

The Canadian Press

TORONTO -- So serious is he about the welfare of seniors, Ontario's health minister said Wednesday he's prepared to don an adult diaper -- and use it -- to satisfy himself that elderly residents of the province's nursing homes are getting appropriate care.

George Smitherman sent eyebrows skyward when he made the straight-faced suggestion in response to critics who say the standard of care in Ontario nursing homes is so bad, residents are being left to wallow in soiled diapers for hours on end.

Products to help adults deal with incontinence have undergone an "evolution'' in recent years and have become more absorbent, making them an invaluable tool in improving the quality of life for elderly people, Smitherman said.

He said complaints that seniors are wearing soiled diapers for extended periods of time have prompted him to "seriously consider'' trying out one of the adult diapers that are commonly used in Ontario nursing homes.

"I've got one of these incontinence products -- albeit a new one, not the ones that tend to appear at committee -- on my desk and I'm really giving this matter very serious contemplation,'' Smitherman said.

"I want to have the right policy for Ontarians.''

He said some of his staff laughed at him "the first three times'' he talked about the idea, but Smitherman insisted the matter is no joke.

"I said, `How does a guy like me really actually figure out what's right about all this?''' he said. "Is a product that offers greater absorption capability an appropriate product or is that a front for some diminishment of care?''

Smitherman's bizarre test of policy was dismissed by Sid Ryan, president of the Ontario chapter of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, which represents nursing-home workers, who said the minister is completely missing the point.

The problem isn't the products, but residents in long-term care facilities who are forced to wear soiled diapers through the night and sometimes up until noon the next day, he said.

"If the minister wants to play silly games, well then, let him put on a diaper and sleep in it all night long and come into the legislature and wear it up until 12 o'clock,'' Ryan said.

"Let him soil that diaper and lay around in it for the length of time that our seniors have to do in this province.''

Flanked by caregivers who work in Ontario nursing homes, Ryan called on the government to live up to its promises and enact a minimum 3.5 hours of personal care for residents in nursing homes.

Smitherman promised that hands-on care would be established months after new long-term care legislation passed, but the Liberal government has failed to act, he said.

Ontario nursing homes are so short-staffed, residents are forced to wait for hours for meals, are being put to bed too early at night and aren't getting enough exercise, the group charged

That is socialized medicine for you. Watch what happens when they attempt it here in America.

Ont. health minister prepared to don adult diaper

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0227?hub=Health

Updated Wed. Feb. 27 2008 2:03 PM ET

The Canadian Press

TORONTO -- So serious is he about the welfare of seniors, Ontario's health minister said Wednesday he's prepared to don an adult diaper -- and use it -- to satisfy himself that elderly residents of the province's nursing homes are getting appropriate care.

George Smitherman sent eyebrows skyward when he made the straight-faced suggestion in response to critics who say the standard of care in Ontario nursing homes is so bad, residents are being left to wallow in soiled diapers for hours on end.

Products to help adults deal with incontinence have undergone an "evolution'' in recent years and have become more absorbent, making them an invaluable tool in improving the quality of life for elderly people, Smitherman said.

He said complaints that seniors are wearing soiled diapers for extended periods of time have prompted him to "seriously consider'' trying out one of the adult diapers that are commonly used in Ontario nursing homes.

"I've got one of these incontinence products -- albeit a new one, not the ones that tend to appear at committee -- on my desk and I'm really giving this matter very serious contemplation,'' Smitherman said.

"I want to have the right policy for Ontarians.''

He said some of his staff laughed at him "the first three times'' he talked about the idea, but Smitherman insisted the matter is no joke.

"I said, `How does a guy like me really actually figure out what's right about all this?''' he said. "Is a product that offers greater absorption capability an appropriate product or is that a front for some diminishment of care?''

Smitherman's bizarre test of policy was dismissed by Sid Ryan, president of the Ontario chapter of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, which represents nursing-home workers, who said the minister is completely missing the point.

The problem isn't the products, but residents in long-term care facilities who are forced to wear soiled diapers through the night and sometimes up until noon the next day, he said.

"If the minister wants to play silly games, well then, let him put on a diaper and sleep in it all night long and come into the legislature and wear it up until 12 o'clock,'' Ryan said.

"Let him soil that diaper and lay around in it for the length of time that our seniors have to do in this province.''

Flanked by caregivers who work in Ontario nursing homes, Ryan called on the government to live up to its promises and enact a minimum 3.5 hours of personal care for residents in nursing homes.

Smitherman promised that hands-on care would be established months after new long-term care legislation passed, but the Liberal government has failed to act, he said.

Ontario nursing homes are so short-staffed, residents are forced to wait for hours for meals, are being put to bed too early at night and aren't getting enough exercise, the group charged

That is socialized medicine for you. Watch what happens when they attempt it here in America.

These are the privatised senior care homes created by the previous conservative government. They are paid by the government for the care. Prior to this, the homes were run by non profit organizations funded by government. No profit motivation. Now the homes get the same money the non profits did and the companies have to take out a profit. That is why this is happening, its the beginning of the Americanization of our health care system.

Many of us are working hard to reverse this kind of private care. The public funded, public run facilities were much better. Incidentally, the largest private seniors care company in Ontario, runs tens of thousands of private care beds in the USA.

The government that made these changes took they lead from states like Texas, Alabama and Arkansas. Too bad they strayed from "government health care".

Here as well. Good find people!

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_20043.aspx

Health Minister Prepares To Wear Diapers

Wednesday February 27, 2008

CityNews.ca Staff

If it's good enough for Ontario's vulnerable seniors, it's good enough for the government official responsible for their care. Health Minister George Smitherman is prepared to wear an adult diaper, to gain empathy for those in the province's facilities.

At Queen's Park Wednesday, he said that he is aware of the dilemma around his proposal. "I've got to take a look at the clinically appropriate and ethical issues associated with that, but yes. That is a matter of conscience. It's something that I've been seriously considering."

The stunt doesn't sit well with CUPE President Sid Ryan. He had harsh words for Smitherman, and pointed out that wearing the diaper isn't the point. He said that what long-term care residents really need are 3.5 hours of personal nursing care for continence and other issues.

"If the minister wants to play silly games, well, then let him put on a diaper and sleep in it all night long and come into the legislature and wear it up until 12pm and let him soil that diaper and lay around in it for the length of time that our seniors have to do in this province."

Two nurses who work in senior's home were also at Queen's Park. They said that because of understaffing, they are forced to rush through their duties.

I wanted you guys to see the video they were using to talk about this issue ... they finally posted a clip ...

feb2808-diaper.jpg

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_20085.aspx

Question ... they keep talking about the "Great improvements" and they keep exampling this diaper ... can anyone identify it (from the video) as a particular brand or anything they've seen before?

They're pooring quite a bit of water in during their "Demonstration" and it looks like its holding up.

Just thought I'd bring that into the equation :lol:

If that's some new-fangled super-duper diaper, they're not sharing it with the general public! It's hard to find quality diapers in this country without having to search high and low on the internet. ^_^

I'm glad to see he apologized for over-stepping the line. Suggesting that because the product is better and more absorbent that it's okay for these seniors to sit in a wet or soiled diaper for a longer period of time is disgraceful. His publicity stunt clearly back-fired on him.

Looking at the video, the diaper appears to be a Tena, judging by the yellow stripe in the center. The Tena flex's have that color stripe down the center of the diaper.

I wanted you guys to see the video they were using to talk about this issue ... they finally posted a clip ...

feb2808-diaper.jpg

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_20085.aspx

Question ... they keep talking about the "Great improvements" and they keep exampling this diaper ... can anyone identify it (from the video) as a particular brand or anything they've seen before?

They're pooring quite a bit of water in during their "Demonstration" and it looks like its holding up.

Just thought I'd bring that into the equation :lol: