LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Three Questions For Candians

Here, the amount you pay is based on your income. If you're working for an employer that provides extra medical coverage (ie. Blue Cross) then your provincial medical premiums are paid by the employer and the extra coverage you get is based on the particular package at your workplace. If you don't have a medical package like that where you work, you pay the basic premium which is $54 a month, unless you are unable to pay that amount and then the government reduces the premium accordingly. As for prescriptions, here in BC (I'm not sure if all the other provinces have the same thing now or not) we have something called Fair Pharmacare. It's based on your income from two years ago and is adjusted annually. Basically it means that government kicks in to help pay your drug costs after a deductible is reached - and again this is based on income. If you make less than $15,000 a year than you're helped immediately with up to 70% of your drug costs (eligible drugs, that is). Over that, it kicks in when you reach a deductible which, if I'm not mistaken, is based on a percentage of your income.

As messyman said, the government won't cover the cost of eyeglasses, dentists, ambulances, although if you have extra insurance from your employer, that usually covers a good portion of those costs.

The Canadian medical system is far from perfect. As it stands though it is pretty darn good. Every experience I have had dealing with medical or emergency services has been just fine. There will always be cases where folks had to wait or didn't get proper treatment in what ever system you are under no matter where you are.

I hesitated to even post but I feel I must interject a bit of reason. Much of what is posted before in this thread is anecdotal.

There are a few facts to remember that we might try to agree upon:

1) The US is 10 times more populated than Canada

2) The US is more geographically dispersed than Canada

3) The population of Canada tends to cluster along the US/Canada border

4) Medical insurance is not medical care

5) Medical care, once rendered, is excellent in both countries

6) Medical insurance is the means to pay or offset the cost of said medical care

7) People with money will always have the best care because they can afford it, be it the US, Canada, communist China, India or North Waziristan (Look at bin Laden and his dialysis machine in his allah-forsaken crap hole of a world)

Now for my anecdotes.

In my small area I have met no less than three Canadian doctors. One of which I had a casual, non-medical conversation with. She moved to the US for economic reasons. She could make more money.

Canada doesn't buy near as many drugs as the US simply because of the 10:1 population scale. The drug makers let Canadian law dictate prices because it is such a small sliver of the pie. If the US did that, the drug makers would revolt and prices would rise for Canada. Always remember the scale difference between the US and Canada.

• 2 years later...

1) have not seen the movie - but thanks I'll check it out!

2) The challenge facing Canadian doctors is the pull between offering all the wonders of medical science and the restriction of "the budget". If you are not dying immeadiatly you may not get testing that would gain you access to more treatment. Your doctor is always choosing weather to open that pandora's box or let you sit with your symptoms untill you need care. So preventative medicine is constantly put at odds with funding and over all patient health is compromised. The compromise presumably ensures security for when you are dying. - If it's something the governement does not have to pay for you can get what you want done (dentistry, cosmetic surgery). These funding policies sometimes come into conflict such as access to GRS (self funded) vs corrective surgery and prescriptions for intersexed persons (gov funded) - though they are sometimes the same procedures and drug treatments. I am satisfied knowing I have access to health care when I am dying but sometimes frusterated when I hear a dr acknowledge that they would have done more testing but do not want to unneccissarily tax the budget.

3) Incontenance products are funded by provincial health care for those recieving social assistance for disability. As far as I know the products are not generous and must be rationed meticulously and are of a lower end medical quality such as you might find in a hospital but are never of a type suited for an active or working person. In order to continue recieving them some provinces may require reporting between your doctor and social services to conferm every three months that you are still incontenant and will discuss just how incontenant you are. You will be incouraged to " make due " and my witness is that you will sometimes be left short on diapers, by trail by ordeal you will have to prove your need. They are of the disposable type - cloth is not an option though it would be more economical and better for the environment. They are reportedly uncomfortable and tend to leak (wet sand diapers). Can't remember what brand the government issue diapers are - they come in a huge box marked incontenance products (not discrete).

Mommy

1- Haven't seen the film.

2- I may be biased, but the Public Health Service works far better than a private system. In a private system, it is possible to deal with several 'experts' and still not find one capable of addressing your specific problem as their core value is to turn over as many patients as possible. In the public sector, this is not a problem. The delay in service exists, but since patients are assigned 'serverity levels' a paitent will get dealt with, by the correct people, and their problems addressed.

Diapers, if a medical need exists, will be provided, but since the core value of a public service system is to cure, a continence advisor and related medical staff will also be provided so that the patient will regain continence.

• Like 1

1- Haven't seen the film.

2- I may be biased, but the Public Health Service works far better than a private system. In a private system, it is possible to deal with several 'experts' and still not find one capable of addressing your specific problem as their core value is to turn over as many patients as possible. In the public sector, this is not a problem. The delay in service exists, but since patients are assigned 'serverity levels' a paitent will get dealt with, by the correct people, and their problems addressed.

Diapers, if a medical need exists, will be provided, but since the core value of a public service system is to cure, a continence advisor and related medical staff will also be provided so that the patient will regain continence.

But, but...You're not Canadian, BK :P

~ moogle

Guest Wetnmessy247

Questions for Candians?

How did you know I live in Candia?

Not many people know Candia even exists!!!

How did you find out about this wonderful land of Candia? Brochure? Newspaper?

Make sure you stop by Ashley's Candiarium. It has the best radishes this part of the Western world!!