LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Talking To Cashiers About Diapers

In medical supply stores if I'm looking for a particular brand of disposable diaper or waterproof pants and have to ask the clerk, I will not come right out and say that they are for me. If the clerk asks about the paitent, the size or anything like that I will tell her that I'm incontinent and I'm the one who uses them. I always refer to them as disposable "briefs" or "Waterproof pants" instead of "diapers" or "plastic pants", terms which I associate with baby products. I myself think of them as diapers and plastic pants but when in a store trying to act as any normal person I will use the "socially acceptible" descriptions that manufacturers print on the packages. I think if questions would be ask of an incontinent person with a medical need they themselves would tend not to use a term like "diaper".

I went to a place here a few days ago - Its called Diaper Depot and all they carry is different kinds of Diapers. Actually, thinking they were probably just a baby store, I had passed it up a few times before but that time I noticed a case of adult diapers in the window. I went in and waited behind another customer... after that customer left, I just plainly asked if they had any plastic backed adult diapers in an XL. It never crossed my mind to ask for anything else. She discussed the different choices with me - I told her I wanted some that wrapped around and had tapes. she went back and found me some slimlines.

I never thought of calling them anything else - I've always called them diapers even when they were 'grandma's diapers'. I'm incontinent. I've never been any more shy about it than about buying panties - the only other name I've called them is 'happy pants'... a term that I use with my partner in public QUIETLY when I need to find a place to go change... as in 'i gotta deal with my happy pants'.

To me being able to have diapers is very liberating, not just because I am also an AB, but because you do not have to deal with the fear of wetting yourself in public - which can be very stressful and used to give me panic attacks and keep me from hardly going out at all. I know if I spend any significant time out and about, I will end up at least wet. If my IBS is acting up bad, it can be a bit messy.

Pads and such never felt secure enough. They did not give me the sense of confidence that a fully wrapped up bottom does - and if you leak out the side then it looks like you maby spillt something on you, sat down on something - or if its a hot and sweaty day...

The shame leads to less acceptance on both sides - of incontinence and ab/dl. I do not recommend it. It should be no more unnatural and embarrassing than buying tampons. In fact, so many stores have products on the shelf because with the growing aging population more and more people NEED them. Its a fact of life.

I would have educated the cashier politely on the spot - explained the difference

"you are right, they are basically diapers but they are for adults and most people do not call them that. They are usually called (whatever you cal the here) and saying diapers for the adult products would be very embarrassing to some people."

Chances are she did not really realize what they were. I can see the mistake with the pictures on the package.

BTW - i do not know if anyone has thought of this - but babies NEED diapers, too. They are incontinent to varring degrees depending on age and development... just a thought.

I have to laugh at you Americans, its all sue for this and law for that....

I just go buy them and it makes no difference what they say... guess thats the difference between Normal Europe and the i'll sue you states of America lol.. :P

I did think of a story should i ever get asked and blow me down the same day the cashier from the firm i always get my disposables from said " we are out of these now shall i re order them / how often will you need them " ?

Nice and cool i said "my brother visits now and again and we like to have some as back up, just incase ...its always weekends that you run out or a public holiday !! we get sent some through the medical system but..better safe than sorry"

"thats why i dont always buy them on a regular basis"

She replied " yes true that is always the case, ok i shall order more for you"

Im off the hook and they will never know ! B)

I used to go to this one medical supply store well the first time I went in I asked were the incontinence products were she turned to the other employe and said "where do we keep the incontinence products" the other lady said " the diapers" I replyed "yeah diapers" I was shocked I had never called them incontinence products and then had them called diapers.

I wasent offended it was just strange that after I went out of the way to call them incontinence products she would know that I was emmbarresed and not call them diapers but I guess thats what they are so I can't complain.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to disagree with the folks who a touting the idea of utilizing the disabilities act when you made it clear you would feel guilty about this and it would, in my opinion as a bedwetter - be taken advantage of those of us in the unfortunate/fortunate position of needing diapers.

On that I get people who obviously figure out that the diapers are for me - Im a woman in her mid-20's, pretty slim build and I am buying Girls Goodnites more often than not. Its like buying panties with faeries all over them - they a re super girly, my size and Im not looking confused or having any questions about this product. But thats ok - I would rather someone envision someone like me in them. Maybe they will open their mind. Maybe they ask a question. Im so damn odd I like to dress up in baby diapers. Thats who I am .

I love that feeling of seeing the check out girl too when buying diapers, babypants, or just girly panties too! I love the idea of them thinking about me wearing them. It's a real rush. I'd love it if sometime one of them would ask. No one ever has-but wow-what a thrill that would be! :-)

Gerber

Hi guys,

I just bought the following items for myself at our Wal-Mart, my wife was along to help:

2-6 packs nylon panties, 4 nicer panties, 1 pk tights, 1 pk pantyhose, 2 girl's PJ outfits, and a sippie-cup.

1 Pk. Depends Maximum diapers, 1 Depends Boost, and 2 pks. Poise Panties (clearance $9 ea.) for my wife to try.

We always visit the cashier for my diaper purchases. The cashier was friendly, did her job in a professional manner, and didn't seem to be affected by these purchases (after all they are for sale.) It was a pleasure to buy the things I NEED from Wal-Mart. It's fun to do it in such a public setting - like announcing to the world that I'm a sissy diaper boy. Glenn :D

• 2 weeks later...

Quite honestly, I usually buy my diapers online and have them sent via fedex or UPS to me so I dont have too much experience buying diapers in the store. I dont really like depends....they're ok in a pinch, but they dont hold alot, and I usually saturate one in a single wetting. The few times I have shopped at a store, I got through no problems. Honestly a scenario like what Curious described really wouldnt have deterred me at all, although it would have been a little embarassing. I would have been more upset if the cashier asked me directly about my purchases, but its still not that bad.

I have to say, calling the store and threatening to sue after a scene like that is the worst thing that you can do. I know that it "makes" people be more sensitive, but as has been said, it hurts awareness on all sides of the coin. Most people dont care anyway....its your own life, live it how you want to. From experience, I can tell you that managers at retail stores (especially in the US) hear threats of lawsuits almost on a daily basis, and nothing ever comes of them. If you were offended, you will probably get a better response out of being reasonable with the manager, and saying that you were dissappointed with the level of service offerred, and that you didnt appreciate being asked personal questions by your salesclerk. In that case you might actually get a sincere apology from the manager as opposed to an empty "Im Sorry" while the manage flicks you off on the other side of the phone.

Besides, once you drop the "sue" bomb, it makes future relations with that store pretty difficult!

Here in the UK it's always been quite difficult to find stores that stock adult diapers. There are a couple of supermarkets that stock them, and Boots (sort of a UK version of your Wallgreen) but only the larger branches. You can also find them in some smaller, local stores.....but not often (usually a case of asking someone in the store if they supply them, only to be told no). In most cases, you have to drive many miles to get some.

In my teen years I used to find it very embarrassing buying diapers, and would be in a cold sweat just standing looking at them. Now I'm older, I don't feel any nervousness, and just compare it to buying some shaving foam or pain killers.

Most stores in the UK don't really take a second look at the diapers you buy, and don't usually say anything (just the price and thanks, lol). I will say this though. Lot's of the smaller stores keep them behind the counter, so you have to ask for them, which is embarrassing if you are nervous and the store is busy. Also, many of the supermarkets keep them in the baby aisle with the baby diapers. This doesn't bother me, but it would if I was nervous, or a teenage kid who wet the bed and was with my mum.

I think all the larger stores should keep them in the section with ladies sanitary towels.

Take care guys

Bethany

I went into a Wal-Greens once to pick up some diapers, and walked right into the isle with the diapers, and saw they didnt have my size in stock out front, so I asked the sales woman there to see if she had them in stock. They had the smaller packs but I wanted to stock up for awhile. She brought them out, and I guess she was making small talk, and asked if they were for me. I said yes, and she got this shocked look like I hit her with a cattle prod. Of course seeing a 22 year old asking for diapers would shock some people.

Priceless.

I've bought from two Walgreens and some other pharmacy store that they don't have in my state. Never had a problem.

If a clerk was advertising what I was buying, I would calmly inform the clerk that they should use their head and think a little more, because someone buying incontinence products might not want that advertised all around. If the clerk weren't apologetic, I would either call to talk to the manager or ask to speak to him/her on the spot. I wouldn't threaten to sue. They never stopped me from buying the product; they didn't discriminate against me; someone was just guilty of a faux pas. Besides, being an ab/dl is not a recognized disability. If there was obvious intent to try and stop me from buying the product, that would be a different story.

Playing it cool, like the initial post, is probably the best way to handle it. It only becomes a big deal if you make it one.

If for some reason I felt the situation was so egregious or that there was no attempt at remedy, I would stop shopping at the problem location.

My guess would be that once the clerk realized that he/she were doing something that could embarrass the customer, he/she would apologize. My guess is, also, that a manager would be apologetic.

No, I've never had a cross look or comment. I'm reasonably certain that most people never guessed that I was buying them for myself, and had no reason to unless they were being quite presumptuous.

If anybody had ever made the assumption that I was buying them for myself, I probably wouldn't be too fussed. I'd just ask them what made them think that, and probably leave them hanging with a 'well maybe I am, then again maybe not, what of it?'

Having worked as a cashier though, I have no idea what would compel somebody to be so brainless as to try and pick a fight with a customer. The best thing that could happen is you would just get all riled up over nothing, and complicate your work day. The worst thing that could happen is that you'd get fired, which is probably the more likely of the two as well. I mean I always saw it as a rather simple equation, the idea is to get the person checked out as fast as possible and put on a good face at the same time.

• 1 month later...

I buy from stores fairly regularly, and have never had anything real notable happen. Hell earlier today was probably the most thats ever happened, and it was tame.

I was at the wal-mart, I needed some depend boosts as I was almost out, but had plenty of diapers left. So i picked up 2 bags of the boosts, along with a few other odds and ends I needed and went to checkout. The checkout i was at was missing the separator things, so I just grouped my stuff together to make it obvious it was all mine. Well as the cashier got to the end of the stuff for the people in front of me, she put her hand on the boosts, and asked if it was theirs. When they said no, and I said it was mine, the cashier just looked me up and down with kindof a "oh, and i thought you were hot up until just now" look. was amusing, but thats as far as it went.

Stuff like that will never deter me from buying. I think its amusing, people's reactions and such.

I do agree that seeking legal action over the originally posted incident is silly. And I liked that comment made by raptor, "the i'll sue you states of America". Thats a pretty good summarization of this country... Anywho, to me, it was obvious that the cashier was ignorant about the product, and that they made diapers for adults. There's no reason to get upset over that. The manager seemed like he was trying to tell the cashier what to do without causing embarrassment, which I guess the cashier is at fault for prolonging the situation, but ignorance is hardly a crime.

I'd bet that after the transaction, the boss explained adult diapers, and that probably caused the cashier plenty of embarrassment knowing what what she did. People have to learn somehow, and adult diapers arent something many people have ever had a reason to know about.

Had an interesting chat with the cashier yesterday, when I had to buy some emergency supplies, the nappy was full, i was 100 miles from home and no spare... oops!

Had to make do with some Kendalls, which seem alright so far. i usually use Tena super slips, which are difficult to buy over the counter. My usual pharmacy is in Bristol, but i was in Plymouth.

I asked the lady for some tena slips. She looked at me very blankly and said I would have to explain. So I then said they are like an adult nappy. Oh she said, and then produced a list and samples, which was very useful, as I have never worn kendalls before. She then mentioned that she was recently told off for calling them nappies. i have also been told off for calling them nappies, and they were for me!. You would have thought she would remember that they are supposed to be called slips, if a customer had told her off!

Bearing in mind that I was wearing a very full nappy, which must of had at least a slight odour, she then asked if they were for someone in the family, so I said no, they are for me.

I then asked her for the best way to get out of the town.

In my fairly extensive experience, I nearly always ask for nappies in a pharmacy, all the attendants have been very polite and as helpful as they can.

Ric

I remember my boyfriend and I stopped at a Goodwill store. I found two packages of diapers there and I take them up to the counter. The cashier picks them up and asks me if I am going to have a baby. I get a strange look on my face and the lady realizes what they were and she says "Oh oh oh oh oh oh."

I was at a Goodwill story once and found some Tena fitted briefs (that plays into it) and took them to the counter. They did not have a price marked so the lady looks at them and can't decide on a price. So she gets on the phone, thankfully not the whole store intercom, and asks the head person for a price on fitted briefs.

The person on the other end can't seem to get it and she finally says they are like baby diapers only for adults. I think she was more embarrassed than I was. I thought it was funny. Got them for $5 for the whole bag.

well, I don't have much for you all, but a couple of times I have had a cashier who will give me the "did you find everything okay" or similar small talk. A few have given me a look that said "I think these must be for you", as I still am nervous about buying diapers. i would have to say that Wal-Mart is probably the best and worst place to buy, as there are alot of people (less chance you see someone you know) and there are alot of people (more people to see you, though most don't notice or care).

I went to the chemist once and bought a pack of depends. I was making small talk with the cashier and mentioned I was hung over and she told me to make sure I drank plenty of water, which seems like a weird thing to say to someone buying nappies. I was wearing a tena slip under a thin pair of shorts at the time so she probably could have sussed they were for me.