LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Looking for reusable daytime cloth recommendations

5 hours ago, justforfun said:

So, a little update. 

I went out and got a number of the various options mentioned here... Ecoables, some various Amazon pocket diapers and covers, snap diapers... I spent quite a few $$ on options.

One thing that is clear to me is that wearing re-usables consistently during the day is much harder than just using them at night for bedwetting!  At night, bulk doesn't matter, and I'm only changing into the diaper, and then out of it.  Washing is not a big deal with a once-a-day diaper.

During daytime, a lot of the equation changes.  While I've occasionally worn cloth during the day, I don't think I've ever done so consistently for such a long time since I was first out of diapers.

First, comfort becomes a much bigger deal.  Sitting on a lumpy diaper on an office chair all day every day is not that comfortable, even though I'm working from home.  Using thinner diapers for comfort means more changes.  More changes means more wash. 

Second, discretion. I pretty much bailed on going out in reusables that I planned to use at all.  I haven't yet found any solution that I think is both discreet enough and actually usable for any reasonable length of time.  I ended up getting some various training pants and versions of 'washable adult incontinence underwear' that I could wear, but not really use except when I'm almost home and willing to accept a leak. 

Third, schedule.  With the night diaper, the 'on' and 'off' times are easy... bed time, and waking.  During daytime, the changes are based around variable external things, such as needing to run errands (necessitating a thinner diaper), or wanting to hop in the pool, or many other things.  Figuring out what I should be changing into, and when, is much more complicated.  At first I found myself changing out of a barely wet diaper because I needed to be wearing something else.  As time has gone on I eventually adjusted my schedule somewhat so that the changes fit more naturally and were more predictable.

So far, I find myself gravitating to usually using flat pinned diapers around the house.  I found that an 'Angel Wing' fold minimizes the uncomfortable lump on my butt, and I can adjust the absorbancy by adding a stuffer.  Wearing PUL pants over the top keeps things reasonably cool.  It's easy to wash and dry. 

We'll see how things go for the next two weeks, but boy, I definitely have a better understanding of what the folks who wear cloth 24/7 go through...

You think of what you went through with the change to cloth, and you can see what mothers had to go through in the 50's and 60's.  Much more frequent changes, lots more wash, uncomfortable kids in wet cloth diapers and then see how nice everyone has it now with good quality disposables, both for kids and adults.  Is it any wonder kids today are much older and still in diapers than 60 years ago?

I can give you a recommendation for the contour cotton twill diaper with soaker insert from Changing Times Diaper Company. I have one and it is just as good as a disposable. It holds a lot very well and works very well at night. No velcro involved; you'll need fasteners. Not cheap, but will pay for itself soon enough. You may only need one during the day.

4 hours ago, ppdude said:

I can give you a recommendation for the contour cotton twill diaper with soaker insert from Changing Times Diaper Company. I have one and it is just as good as a disposable. It holds a lot very well and works very well at night. No velcro involved; you'll need fasteners. Not cheap, but will pay for itself soon enough. You may only need one during the day.

Unfortunately it looks like those are "Discontinued due to high import fees."   Bummer.

That said... I'm not sure it would solve the problem?  In that, for cloth, bulk = absorbancy.  If I need a certain absorbancy, it's a certain amount of cloth, which has a certain bulk.  I find myself needing more absorbancy than I'm willing to put up with in terms of bulk when in public.  Back to the whole thing about not wanting to let my underwear preferences (or, alternatively, my wife's preferences for my underwear) interfere with my real life and job.  If I'm just hanging out at home, I have plenty of night-weight diapers, stuffers, etc., that are very effective that I would never wear in public.

Anyway, I continue on a quest for a 'magic' re-usable that will hold a bladder+ and also, magically, not be noticeable on a relatively thin guy wearing shorts and a t-shirt...