LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Never Forget

Intrestingly, had astrological based timekeeping/positoning still been in common practice today, there wouldn't be such issues; stellar drift occurs at a much slower rate than modern computer issues do and even at that there's a workaround dating back to ancient India.  Note however that I don't consider astrology a vaild science, only the timekeeping methods that arose with it.

"Vedic (Jyotiṣa) and Western zodiacs differ in the method of measurement. While synchronically, the two systems are identical, Jyotiṣa primarily uses the sidereal zodiac (in which stars are considered to be the fixed background against which the motion of the planets is measured), whereas most Western astrology uses the tropical zodiac (the motion of the planets is measured against the position of the Sun on the spring equinox)."

Conclusion: Computers have made us lazy.

4 hours ago, zzyzx said:

@oznl:  Ah, the second mention in this thread about the Unix Epoch issue.... < GRIN >

And mostly a dead issue by this point from:

• Changing 32 bit SIGNED int on 32 bit systems, to unsigned
  • Changing from a 32 bit int to a 64 bit int on systems now running 64 bit CPUs....

Will there still BE any 32 but systems by 2038? If there are, they will probably be new ones used in low-level applications; i.e. single, specific devices that do not require high-capacity/high-speed/high-precision functions. I do not think any of the current 32 bit units will be around and the new ones will have that "bug" fixed. Is anyone still using the venerable Z-80? By that time, we will have had our first cloud crash or cloud hack: If thant has nothappened already Avoid the "smart house" and "internet of things" unless youREALLY trust Government: Be it the US, Chinese or Russian. Besides the smart person keeps control of his world in his own hands. All things being equal, nobody takes care of you better or more efficiently and steadfastly than you. Remembetr "Big Brother is watching you"?

11 hours ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

Will there still BE any 32 but systems by 2038?

I doubt there would be too many new ones but embedded computers are a dark horse here:  might be a few (by then old) cars and smart refrigerators that behave oddly.  I'd like to think embedded devices in infrastructure would have been evaluated and planned for.

17 hours ago, zzyzx said:

@oznl:  Ah, the second mention in this thread about the Unix Epoch issue.... < GRIN >

Oops.  I should have read the thread more carefully!

• Changing 32 bit SIGNED int on 32 bit systems, to unsigned

That's just kicking the can down the road ?

• Changing from a 32 bit int to a 64 bit int on systems now running 64 bit CPUs....

That's just kicking the can a LONG way down the road ?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, oznl said:

That's just kicking the can a LONG way down the road ?

@oznl I don't think either of us or a few generations after us will be around when the end of the first 64 bit Unix Epoch hits. 

< GRIN >