LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hey everyone, I will be (as long as everything goes ok) getting a Psychiatric Service Dog. The only thing is, I need YOUR help. Yes, YOU!

If you could spare even $5USD (minimum donation), please consider donating to my GoFundMe to help me get the dog.

His name is Hunter and he's an 8 month old Black Lab. I could have him in about 4 months as long as he

That is great. I am glad that you are getting a friend to help you with whatever you go through. Though just a friendly piece of advice, when talking about your new friend and taking your new friend place be sure to remember that it is a "service" dog not Psychiatric service dog. I know that it sounds petty but when reading the ADA Law about service dogs the dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service dogs. Try not to open a door to questions that does not need to be open to make things easier and better for you while out and about.

Again, congratulations on your new friend.

21 minutes ago, SoakedinTexas said:

That is great. I am glad that you are getting a friend to help you with whatever you go through. Though just a friendly piece of advice, when talking about your new friend and taking your new friend place be sure to remember that it is a "service" dog not Psychiatric service dog. I know that it sounds petty but when reading the ADA Law about service dogs the dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service dogs. Try not to open a door to questions that does not need to be open to make things easier and better for you while out and about.

Again, congratulations on your new friend.

No, he will be a Psychiatric Service Dog. :)

I understand what you are saying. I believe you need the help or you would not be looking for and getting a service dog. I also am one of the people that have to enforce this law and the way it is enforced in a lot of areas is by the way you answer the questions. Using the word psychiatric in the title will cause problems. I know it sounds stupid but there are

3 hours ago, Elfy said:

Why does it cost $6,500? Is that the price of the dog?

For the dog, and the intense specialized training. That's actually pretty reasonable for

Agreed in just calling Hunter a "Service Dog". That's enough explanation, and it anybody asks for more it's 'nunya business' or your paperwork proof. It's kind of like letting people presume you're incontinent on discovering you're diapered- all you need to say is there's a need and you don't have to discuss the rest ;)

And $6.5K is a median price for service dogs, There's a lot more to creating service dogs than a single glance shows including re-homing costs for the 90% who aren't suitable. And until they're culled you have to care for them too. It's not a high-profit business at all.

IIRC about 2 years ago a local newscast did a segment on a service dog trained to detect epileptic seizures so the owner could ensure their own safety as well as the safety of others before loss of control during a seizure. The dog even knew to get any family members nearby when alerted but to otherwise stay with the owner. Most dogs are inherently smart- some are amazingly intelligent and highly trainable to do things no human can. My own un-trained doggie knows when I'm depressed and how to act then, Sometimes she's the only thing I feel good about and in that she's priceless to me :wub: As I've said before, it there are no dogs in Heaven then I don't want to go there ;)

Hoping you and Hunter will be a pair real soon Tara :thumbsup:

Bettypooh

What happens if you pay $6,500 for a dog and then for whatever reason the dog is, erm, incapacitated? It gets really sick or chases a ball into the road or something? Do you get a new dog or is that just bad luck?

I'm not making judgement one way or the other, just curious as to the process because I have no idea about this sort of thing.

My friend's seeing-eye dog is insured against full loss, but only partially. No insurer here will cover that much for a dog in a public environment at reasonable rates. Vet care is given him at a discount ( just a nice Vet, not mandatory) but that cost is still out-of-pocket. For an unexpected loss you usually go to the top of the waiting list for the next available animal.

Bettypooh