LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

when did Grammar and the English Language die?

@Betty I also think that we as a society have come to want and expect "instant gratification " and where time is money" and the attitude is being slow is being dumb. Taking the time to digest, absorb, and read, then think critically about the what you just read. (And actually focusing long enough in a digital environment where everything is "shiny" and constantly asking for your attention.)

It is becoming more and more difficult to contribute in these types of meaningful intellectual debates when the status quo is a "tweet" an terrible autocorrect on a phone, and a society that values quantity rather than quality.

I think the text, the grammar and the language itself is a symptom, not the cause. It shows the values that we as a society hold dear. If language is meant to portray an idea, an emotion or feeling and the evaluation of language is intertwined with technology and the evolution exponentially increasing with the more people who touch, move and are exposed to it, and thus interact with the language, and the language with our culture.

If our culture is influenced on their is a only so much time for each person, and to waste that time is stupid. I think it is a direct reflection of our culture taking shortcuts through language. This efficiency is not a new idea, and in fact the idea of language being standardized is fairly new (20th century). It seems that for the majority of people in the world- "if I'm only going to read this once- I don't need perfection, I just need to be able to convey my thoughts, ideas and emotions effectively". I also believe we are far past that tipping point where it is beyond out control to stop for anything more than academic or published reading.

@Betty it's funny that the auto correct is so invasive in our society yet so terrible. There are also very few global auto correct programs for an operating system, rather than a phone.

In regards to typing. It's all about effort. I have use of one hand, I type with one hand. Though my wpm are upwards of 60-70 if I'm out of practice and around 80-90 if in practice.

I "mastered" the qwerty keyboard over 20 years. Eventually I started looking for shortcuts for sustainability ( being able to type longer at same speeds with no typos)

What I found was a huge backlash of those that would advocate against the use of modified keyboards or keyboard layouts. " if you don't learn what the rest of the world is using, you'll be out in the cold"

Sadly the layout I want doesn't even have a typing program for one hand- it simply doesn't exist. (My home row is different than two)

As for the depression etc. i get that I do. "Anything worth doing is worth doing terribly or even better, failing miserably the first time"

I myself have been suffering from an unknown and as of yet undiagnosed form of debilitating vertigo for the past 18 months. - effecting me both on physical and mental levels.

I think DH Lawrence puts it best in the poem on self pity

I never saw a wild thing

Sorry for itself

A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough

Without ever having felt sorry for itself

I do wonder how language and grammar will be effected by the generation that comes into this world where texting is the normal form of having a conversation and the grammar of txt and IM is what shape that generation from the earliest age.

I also want to comment on the amazing fact of how quickly we as humans adapt to mistakes and are able to read how and what we perceive "what we think" should be there. I believe that individuals that don't polish their replies take advantage of that, and hone in on that skill.

Also on the idea of effective communication. I would say that for me the biggest drawback is the forgetfulness that the vast majority of what we say isn't through words. Taking shortcuts can get a message across though it Mae Noot Alwise bee da write won.

Especially if we really on abbreviated words, auto correct, text to speech etc. a message may get across though a misunderstanding may occur and a lack of emotion or inferring of the wrong emotional state is often an issue.

I could also point to shows like "the Big Bang theory" which makes looking smart appear like it takes so little effort, and keeping up and being at the top of your field shouldn't take time, effort and energy- if in fact your smart.

"Knowledge is NOT power- the utilization of knowledge is"

If someone wants to play the game they also need to realize there is effort involved.

I think in the end- the delivery method needs to fit the medium. Don't come to an intellectual debate without being prepped and likewise don't go to to the DD chat room when full on age play RP is going on looking for intellectual stimulation.

As the OP I would like to thank everyone for their nuanced and well-thought responses. The reason to read threads like this in their entirety is that the topic evolves and intellectually honest people will adapt, concede valid points, and grow so that not only do we acquire knowledge, but the much more valuable virtue of wisdom :)

Thank you all so very much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bettypooh, I've read every post in this thread, but I wanted to comment on this one particular post you made a few days ago.

On another forum I inhabit a very popular thread has reached past 11,150 posts (that's not a typo) and over 550 pages in length. I have read, not just 'scanned', at least 11,100 of those posts; the other's 'scanned' because their content was off-topic. Some posts are several paragraphs long, most at least several sentences, many are quite detailed and technical in nature. In that forum you are expected to read every post before commenting- you get a solid bashing if you don't :o It was only after 10,000 posts that they relaxed the rule but you'd still better not be repeating something already said or asking the same question again or the bashing will begin anew :P

I can understand this type of rule in a forum where there aren't a lot of threads, but there are a lot of posts in a single thread that the average person on the forum can read in a reasonable amount of time. This seems a bit excessive though for forums that aren't striving for posts at an academic level, especially if all of the posts are quite detailed. For most forums I think the most recent five pages and a first post with important details are enough to bring newcomers up to speed, but most forums probably don't have the same quality of posts as the one you frequent. ;)

Wet Knight, filling the middle of a word with asterisks arises from using curse words that are frequently banned, often automatically, like this made-up example: