LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Upcoming Surgery... Medical Questions

I'm scheduled to have a circumsicion next week. I was in for my pre-op clinic today to discuss my medical history and medications etc. I'm incontinent post incomplete spinal cord injury. I am ambulatory, but get fatigued easily. I'm also insulin dependent diabetic, which can wreak havoc on my bladder at times.

I'm concerned about infections post surgery, wearing diapers 24/7, especially given the sensitivity of that area. i know i will be using polysporin for healing, but i also use critic-aid clear as a barrier cream to prevent diaper rashes.

Has anyone reading this had a circumsicion as an adult? how was your recovery? were there any complications? If you are incontinent, were there complications as a result of this?

I will be in the hospital overnight for observation after surgery. I asked the nurses about what to do regarding diapers. They suggested that although they have them there, that the abena L4's I use will be much better. Also, do you think it would be wrong to ask for help changing during recovery?? i may very will need it with the painkillers i'll be on.

any advice or comments would be wonderfully appreciated. Thanks!

canadianbaby

All I can offer is that I've heard this hurts like he-double toothpicks, and that the nursing staff are there to help if you need help. Them and everyone else would rather you not injure what the surgeons have done, so if you have any doubts ask for help. If any of them treat you with less than complete dignity, ask for the head nurse and report what happened.

Best of luck to you!

Bettypooh

I agree in regards to asking the nurses for help. You are clearly conscientious and not just thinking of 'using' the nurses for your own private gain. And you have told them ahead of time about needing diapers and asking advice. If you needed help with ANY self care needs it is very important to let the nursing staff know so they can properly assist you in your needs. You could also ask the dr on your post op visit about any additional care needs given your incontinence, they may recommend a different bandage/padding, changing immediately after wetting, and may some additional creams/soaps for cleaning.

I wish you well in your surgery!

Bettypooh, thanks for the heads up about the pain... they already mentioned morphine.

Sarah_ab your advice was accurate, as they had mentioned changing immediately after wetting. I will ask about any other additional recommendations when i see the doc. thanks!

All,

i have a spinal cord injury as mentioned above.. it is in the L3 L2 region. The anestheisiologist has suggested usning a spinal injection for this procedure, due to concerns regarding sedation due to sleep apnea. I really don't know which would be better though. A spinal means I'm still concious, where with a general I am out completely. I'm freaked a bit about the risks with the spinal procedure but have some good reasons to be leary of anything being put into my spine. Any suggestions, or experiences would be appreciated.

cndbby

Bettypooh, thanks for the heads up about the pain... they already mentioned morphine.

Sarah_ab your advice was accurate, as they had mentioned changing immediately after wetting. I will ask about any other additional recommendations when i see the doc. thanks!

All,

i have a spinal cord injury as mentioned above.. it is in the L3 L2 region. The anestheisiologist has suggested usning a spinal injection for this procedure, due to concerns regarding sedation due to sleep apnea. I really don't know which would be better though. A spinal means I'm still concious, where with a general I am out completely. I'm freaked a bit about the risks with the spinal procedure but have some good reasons to be leary of anything being put into my spine. Any suggestions, or experiences would be appreciated.

cndbby

I wouldn't be worried about a Spinal, They give it to women in labor all the time, so it must be safe.

I had a spinal block when they urologist took care of my kidney stone. While I may have been conscious, I don't remember anything from a short time after the shot in the back until I was coming to in the recovery room. I suspect that I was probably given Demerol, too, or something like it. I was thoroughly disappointed that I didn't remember what happened and seeing the procedure on the monitors.

There weren't any side effects. When I woke up, my legs were heavy and I couldn't move them without a lot of effort. However, that wore off fairly quickly (within 30 minutes) and I was able to walk without any difficulty after that.

Guest jeff142

Considering that most kids have this done i don't think diapers affect it much, if you vary worried about it, or you doctor is catheters are a way to control that.

Hope the pain is not to bad, but it sounds like it would hurt.

Since all infants are incontinent when they are circumcised, I would think what ever salve or cream they use must be pretty effective.. When you consider that with a baby, poopy diapers are involved too.

But did you hear about the doctor who only did circumcisions??? His pay wasn't very high, but he got alot of tips..... (groan)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had the surgery last Tuesday. The pain is manageable, and i'm getting through it. It was less painfull than I thought it would be! Stiches should be out by this time next week. Can't wait until I'm completely healed!!

cndbby