LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

I Smell

any and all responses, serious and otherwise, appreciated. i throw myself at your collective mercy...

i mostly (moistly?) work from home, thank god. sometimes i have to visit a client site or go into the office... often working in close quarters, meetings with umpteen people crammed into a small room. you can imagine how this makes the logistics more complex, especially when living out of a hotel room (a week's diapers can fill a suitcase...)

rule 1: always wear a onesie, no exceptions; a loose diaper is a leaky diaper... rule 2: always wear plastic pants, actually lost a job when my diaper broke during a presentation (ouch)

the men's room at work is a hellish place to change, so putting a fresh one on every hour is not the answer (also see note about suitcase). sometimes sitting still in a room i get these whiffs of myself which are quite strong (my kidneys have failed 3 times already which might account for some of that)... am wondering if other people smell it too :unsure: and they are just too nice to say anything

i use medline odor eliminator, it works, but it makes me smell like a public toilet and wears off relatively quickly. the so-called 'cloth-like' diapers make the smell even more noticeable, so i stick with plastic ones. needless to say, this gets much worse in the summertime... :badmood: the 'deodorized' briefs don't make much difference and irritate

do any other 24/7's have this issue? any thoughts? failing in that is there anyone out there i can hang out with even if i smell?

also if you know where you will be traveling to you can ship diapers to the hotel just call the hotel and tell them when u are arriving and that you need to ship some things and can they hold the package foe you.... it may allow u to at least have more supplies

Wear tight underwear over your plastic pants to keep the air out. Most likely the time you smell it is when you move allowing air to escape your diaper area. If you can keep air from moving in and out of your plastic pants, they should contain the odor. If you're worried about getting to warm even thin underwear will work for this.

I too sometime have a strong smell to my diaper. The cause of it is often because of the longevity of me wearing it. This is sometimes why I do not like wearing super thick diapers that last all day because I want to "use" them up and get my moneys worth but that may mean me sitting in urine that may be 12hrs old. Not too pleasant nor pleasant smelling. On the flip side, as another mentioned, drinking much, much more water will in effect, dilute the pungent odor smell and it'll be less noticeable but you will require more changes which could bring on other issues. It's a catch 22 if you ask me but you have to pick the lesser of the two evils. I've noticed though too, that diapers tend to absorb more "watery" urine and have a larger capacity then urine that is less watery. It'll gel up better with more watery urine and may last you just as long even though you're wetting more then if you wet less with less watery urine. Following me?

Here's what I figure on:

Thicker diaper, less water, 12 hours between changes, stronger smell

Thicker diaper, more water, 8 hours between changes, lesser smell

Thinner diaper, less water, 3-4 hours between changes, lesser smell

Thinner diaper, more water, 2-3 hours between changes, lesser smell, big leaks

The middle two are the ones I like best.

As another person also said, watch the foods you eat too as that can contribute to the smell of your urine. I know salty foods for me add quite a bit and so does drinking carbonated beverages. Fruits, some veg's (not all like asparagus), water, healthier foods in general are best for not having a super pungent urine smell. Try it for a day or two and just see. You don't have to do it all the time but maybe the night before a meeting and the day of, cut out the "bad" foods and see what happens. Even drinking quite a bit of water and "flushing" your system the night before may help for the following day. You are what you eat as it is said!

• Like 1

I second the suggestion about shipping diapers to the destination hotel. I've done that a lot when we are staying somewhere for a week, works great. I put my name, arrival date and confirmation number (if I have one) on the box and have never had a problem. I've even done it to Canada prior to a cruise out of Vancouver, BC. Also, "Space Bags" are great for reducing the bulk. Used them on a trip a few months ago and got a weeks worth of diapers spread amongst 2 suitcases (my partner always has to put some in his); just have to watch the weight of the bag. Lastly, is drinking plenty of water to dilute, etc. I also use medium weight diapers at work which requires at least 1 change if not 2 in an average work day. I'm with you on the cloth back diapers, I tried them for summer use and they are more comfortable but not good at controlling order. Actually they can feel damp on the outside after a while.

If you need tight undies, use stretchy latex panties over your diapers

Also, try putting some baking soda in the diaper

If you have a strong urine odor, then increase your water intake. Your urine is way to concentrated - it should be very pale yellow. almost clear.

The stronger the urine = the more often you urinate = the smellier the diapers = the more often you need to change.

Between changes, clean well - even after just a wet one - and then apply a thick coat of baby diaper cream. Not only does it protect your skin from rash, it also helps prevent the bacteria attacking your urine = reduced smells.

Take 500+mg capsules of activated charcoal per day, preferably in the morning. This will absorb most odors (by capturing the bacteria responsible within the charcoal).

Avoid artificial sugars - they tend to dehydrate you = stronger urine.

Try using a belted garment like the Tena Flex rather than a full mat diaper. They are easier to change while standing and more compact than a full mat diaper. Plastic pants over these are also needed. If these can't give you the absorbency that you need, use a baby diaper as an insert. The best insert that I have found is the Pampers Cruisers #4 (for your Americans) or Pampers Active Fit #5 (for the rest of us). The larger size the baby diaper, the less SAP in the diaper = slower absorbency

To make this into a booster pad needs a bit of surgery -

1- Remove the cloth backing - this is done by opening the diaper, and start to peel off the velcro pad on the back of the diaper. As you are doing this, the cloth backing will come away leaving the plastic behind it. Once you see a bit of plastic, place your thumb on that to hold it and force the cloth backing to tear towards the top edge of the diaper. This will get you the full width of the diaper cloth backing, which you can rip off right down the diaper.

2- To remove the leg gathers, tear the diaper (lengthways from the end of the diaper) at the first glue marks / perforated holes. Do this for both sides of the diaper.

3 - To remove the inside leg gathers, (usually one of them is falling off at this time) grab one with each hand and tear off.

4- The diaper should now lay flat. From the back of it, there is some tearing in the plastic backing. This is required. Find the one that is in the middle, and continue the plastic tear up about an inch from the front. If you tear past this, there is a possibility of the sap, when wet, bursting out the top of the diaper.

Since this is so flat and small, it is easy to fold up and place in your pocket (dry). I suggest that you place one in a diaper sack. The second, you use as an insert. When the insert gets wet (it will swell to 6-8 times its thickness) go to a bathroom, take the wet insert out and swap it with the dry one in your pocket. Since you have also a diaper bag, you have a convenient way of dropping this into a bathroom bin.

• Like 1

thanks for all the great posts, its nice to have friends

Anoter thought: You could ask your local surgical supply house to set you up with an external cath abd leg bag....you just empty this when it's full. For ladies, look up "stadium gal", a female equivalent..

You wrote:

(my kidneys have failed 3 times already which might account for some of that)

I'm curious... Does that mean you've had kidney transplants, or can a failed kidney

be healed some way? Is there a medicine or some kind of therapy to revive a bad

kidney? I always thought that when a kidney goes bad, that's it....

(But then again, my medical knowledge isn't much!)

You wrote:

I'm curious... Does that mean you've had kidney transplants, or can a failed kidney

Kidneys work by high speed filtering of the blood. There is currently, not a small enough mechanical device to replace kidneys. Most people can, with care, handle having only one kidney, however, the usual problem when a kidney fails it is from disease or deformation, and it is only when the second kidney is beginning to fail / reduce capacity that medical science notices this. This problem is due to the patient not taking due care of his/her health, and only seeking medical intervention to cure a resultant symptom rather than addressing the root problem before it became critical 6-12 months previous.

Common ideas-

- don't bother to get it checked

- it is only a small pain/inconvenience

- the pain killers will stop it

- it will go away

- I'm too busy at the moment - I will do it at the week-end...'

EVERYBODY : If you, in anyway, feel unwell etc, get it checked out. The check-up will take about thirty minutes out of your life, and early detection of a problem increases the chances of a cure being available.

Example: A otherwise healthy 35 year-old male for 6 months was noticing a reduction in libido and urine flow. By the time he visited a doctor, all the doctor could offer was palliative care. Five months ago, the cancer that attacked his prostate could have been eliminated by radio-therapy. By the time he got checked out, the cancer had spread to his liver and kidneys = 2 months max left to live.

• Like 1

You wrote:

i got a really nasty infection in a california county hospital... when it took over my whole bod in the connective tissues they threw every antibiotic they had against it so's i wouldn't die (105+ fever for several days)... in particular gantomycin is a notorious kidney killer, pumped quarts thru meh... spent a couple weeks getting hemodialysis (v. yucky) + epoecrit... creatinine spiked at 9 (1.5 is considered high-normal), that's failure in both kidneys for me... finally got out after a month, but hard to feed and take care of myself as i had been gutted like an animal, huge deep scar from tit to penis...spiked to 8 then stabilized a second time... then weeks later back in another hospital for a couple more days, more dialysis... felt better for a couple of weeks but spiked hard at about 10... so back to yet another hospital for another week...

each time my kidneys bounced back harder. my nephrologist said i was very lucky, it's like the proverbial 9 lives of a cat... he said i might eventually expect ESRD because sonograms show considerable hard scar tissue within mah kidneys... in any case that's what i meant by failing 3 times, i drink all the water i can but my pee still stinks to high heaven *beaming with pride to be alive and in a wet smelly diaper* :)

Aren't you glad you asked?

You wrote:

i got a really nasty infection in a california county hospital... when it took over my whole bod in the connective tissues they threw every antibiotic they had against it so's i wouldn't die (105+ fever for several days)... in particular gantomycin is a notorious kidney killer, pumped quarts thru meh... spent a couple weeks getting hemodialysis (v. yucky) + epoecrit... creatinine spiked at 9 (1.5 is considered high-normal), that's failure in both kidneys for me... finally got out after a month, but hard to feed and take care of myself as i had been gutted like an animal, huge deep scar from tit to penis...spiked to 8 then stabilized a second time... then weeks later back in another hospital for a couple more days, more dialysis... felt better for a couple of weeks but spiked hard at about 10... so back to yet another hospital for another week...

Aren't you glad you asked?

Yup, That's EXACTLY what I thought it was!! :D

Buy some washing mousse (doesn't need water or drying). And smells great like soap.

The Tena or Abena wash mousse is the ones I use.

https://www.tenadirect.co.uk/Support-Skincare-Products/TENA-Was-Mousse/

http://www.allaboutincontinence.co.uk/catalogue/detail.php?product_ID=276

There's something called Nodor which neutralises odours for up to 24 hours(apprently if so), but as I don't wear in public and seem to love the pee smell, I don't use it.

http://www.miltonstaydry.co.uk/incontinence_products_nodor.htm

The milton products seem a bit pricy

True, but if you only need 1 drop per 24 hours, it would last a long time.... Otherwise it would be a big rip off.

However the cleaning mousse really works to stop smell, prevent rashes and clean the skin though.

My apartment typically reeks of stale urine (since I'm always wetting diapers), and I find scented candles do okay for odor elimination. Also, baths take the odor off the body, and if you have floor venting system drop little scented droplets like Apple or cinnamon into the vents and turn on the heat (it activates the scent and makes yor Whoooole place smell like Apples or whatever scent you used. When I used to live with my parents, I would remove the cover of a vent and place a fresh diaper inside the duct and turn on the heat. It would heat up the diaper and blow the scent into their home making the whooooole place smell like fresh baby diapers. It was heaven and it works!

• Like 1

My apartment typically reeks of stale urine (since I'm always wetting diapers), and I find scented candles do okay for odor elimination. Also, baths take the odor off the body, and if you have floor venting system drop little scented droplets like Apple or cinnamon into the vents and turn on the heat (it activates the scent and makes yor Whoooole place smell like Apples or whatever scent you used. When I used to live with my parents, I would remove the cover of a vent and place a fresh diaper inside the duct and turn on the heat. It would heat up the diaper and blow the scent into their home making the whooooole place smell like fresh baby diapers. It was heaven and it works!

Unless you are storing up to a week or twos worth of diapers in your apartment, you should not have that smell. Even a small one bedroom apartment with twins under 3 months old does not get that bad once diaper bags / diaper genie or similar is used. Do you not think that you are acting a little immature. Yes, I know that question is a little mute since you are an AB, but part of being an AB is the first part, the adult side, and the knowledge that with an apartment that reeks of stale urine is also home to other more lethal pests that are feeding on that urine!!! All air freshners etc do is hide the smell and the associated bacteria, not get rid of it.

For your own health, and for that of your neighbours, I strongly suggest that you clean up your act before YOU are a news item that we all here on DD and other ABDL sites cringe about.

• Like 1

Unless you are storing up to a week or twos worth of diapers in your apartment, you should not have that smell. Even a small one bedroom apartment with twins under 3 months old does not get that bad once diaper bags / diaper genie or similar is used. Do you not think that you are acting a little immature. Yes, I know that question is a little mute since you are an AB, but part of being an AB is the first part, the adult side, and the knowledge that with an apartment that reeks of stale urine is also home to other more lethal pests that are feeding on that urine!!! All air freshners etc do is hide the smell and the associated bacteria, not get rid of it.

For your own health, and for that of your neighbours, I strongly suggest that you clean up your act before YOU are a news item that we all here on DD and other ABDL sites cringe about.

Lol I don't store diapers, that's gross. But sometimes I do forget to bag and tie off a bag containing wet/soiled diapers and it sits in my clothes laundry room for a while before I remember to tie it up and take it to the trash bin. I don't necessarily have the best memory, so it's not uncommon for me to forgtet I have a used diaper just sitting there odoring up the place. It's not that my apartment "constantly reeks" of stale urine, but that it always seems that used diaper odors are present.