LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Ddavp For Daytime Wetting?

I was on DDAVP in my preteens for bedwetting, when it never worked hardly at all. I went to a neurologist to exclude my history of hydrocephalus as the cause and it was ruled out, however, he is going to recommend I resume DDAVP. My question is: is DDAVP even prescribed for diurnal incontinence?

haven't tried any meds yet, urologist still needs to actually diagnose it. Even then I can probably only get generics because I'd be getting the pills from a free clinic.

I don't really even know what my capacity is because I'll trickle for a bit, then stop, and a half hour later, I'll feel a good-sized rush of urine.

I was on DDAVP in my preteens for bedwetting, when it never worked hardly at all. I went to a neurologist to exclude my history of hydrocephalus as the cause and it was ruled out, however, he is going to recommend I resume DDAVP. My question is: is DDAVP even prescribed for diurnal incontinence?

Having just used the on-line version of the Physician's Desk Reference and Merck's Index, I agree with DailyDi, DDAVP is only approved for nocturnal urinary incontinence. It is a mystery why your neurologist would prescribe DDAVP of diurnal urinary incontinence. Be sure to discuss and fully understand the documented side effects of DDAVP before agreeing to try it.

the neurologist didn't prescribe anything, he dictated his report back to my urologist, where he recommended I be put back on DDAVP. Seeing as his specialty is brains, not bladders, he probably didn't realize DDAVP wasn't approved for daytime use.

either way, after talking to friends I've made in the community, I'm wary of any incontinence medications.

DDAVP being a hormone is more closely to being brain related than bladder related, oddly enough. Being approved for nighttime use and being written for something else is nothing new, as many drugs have scripts written for off-label use. That being said, a doc REALLY has to know what they are doing and must make the patient fully aware of the risks. Based on both past training and personal experience (disclaimer: not a licensed med. professional) you CAN use it during the daytime for short periods if it works for you. Nasal spray is NOT RECOMMENDED for < 25yo. per USFDA With a link to an article on WebMD. It didn't work really well for me and what little it DID do it made me feel bloated and like a blimp from the water retention, so it was AT BEST a wash for me, but of course YMMV. I CAN tell you you should use AS LITTLE as possible to get positive effect because you're messing with electrolyte balancing hormone. Imbalance is serious stuff and can cause seizures, heart arrhythmia and death in extreme cases. Read the package insert and stay well below the LD50 and you'll be fine... bloated, but fine.

• 2 weeks later...

well I thought I might as well update:

I was diagnosed yesterday as having hyperreflexia secondary to a neurogenic bladder after a CMG test which was one of the most painful experiences I've had in recent memory.

my urologist prescribed a month's worth of oxybutynin and I've noticed less spasms in tradeoff for almost doubling over in agony when my bladder hit capacity. I've also gotten blurred vision and drowsiness for a few hours after taking a pill.