LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Was: Pricing Poll - Now: Dry 24/7 For Canadians On The Way!

Guest YkDave

wow, it pays to check out this section of the forums every once in a while!

Good to know we are getting some more 'support' on this end of the world!

Being up in yellowknife, edmonton makes a much closer source. but i do have to agree, like mentioned in the other post, it would be great if you could offer up the bambinos or maybe some other exotic diapers like the ABU's (since their are no ABU distributors in canada that i know of)

I currently buy from B4NS (faithfully), and the shipping is free so thats not an issue. i would not mind supporting another 'up and coming' business that is willing to cater to us, but im not too sure about the product at this time. I have yet to try the dry 24/7 and thus i couldnt personally justify paying more for the product plus an extra shipping cost (yes, i am in the NWT LOL), when i can continue to buy something i am comfortable with at a much lower cost and no shipping!

Hey YkDave!

If you're actually in Yellowknife, shipping for free shouldn't be an issue. You're about ~1000 km from me where as Toronto is almost 3000, and that's going out of here without extra cost.

If you were off in some remote inuit hamlet beyond Yellowknife, like up in Tuk or something, well, then we'd have to talk :D

If you keep an eye on this forum and watch when our website goes live you can score yourself some free samples and decide if the product is right for you.

As to the cost, currently b4ns shows a case of large bianco at C$ 94.40 / 48 per case = 1.97 each.

We are aiming to sell Dry 24/7 at C$ 135 a case / 72 per case = 1.88 each.

Both include shipping. Remember the larger cases!

We'll introduce other brands once the Dry 24/7 shipment has arrived. Don't want to get carried away... yet.

Cheers!

Guest YkDave

you might want to just double check on your rates before you go and say free shipping!

I work for a HUGE company and purolator is one of out main couriers (our freight contracts run in the millions, with just puro) and our shipping costs from edmonton up to yellowknife is substantially more than shipping something clear across canada (vancouver to quebec. im not sure what kind of contract your set up with, but we have different rates depending on which 'zone' the package is going to/from, and YK is far from the lowest rate zone!

Our 'purolator' up here is actually farmed out to atco frontec, which farms out the actual freight carrying though several other sources. this all adds up to one hella shipping expense!

But, if your still willing to do the no freight deal, im definitely game :)

What is the expected timeline for having the site up and running? I would definitely like to get in on the samples and see what they are like, they may be something worthwhile of switching to.

I hear ya, and I'm aware. I had to beat a huge deal out of my rep in order to make this fly. Yes it works on regional zones.

36 pound cases do not transport on the cheap. From Edmonton to Toronto the cash rate was $52.

Do you know what Puro zone you are in? Dxx? If you tell me that or send me your postal code I can get a solid answer.

I'm willing to eat anything reasonable. One of the reasons for going with Purolator was the lower residential rates.

The site will go up after I have confirmation the product is packed and shipped and on the way to me.

I do not want any "false starts" as it were. I won't let anyone order anything until I know I have it coming.

It's one thing to get excited about ordering a new toy, it's a whole other story to pay for it and wonder when it's going to show up... and I don't want that situation.

Guest YkDave

X1A-2N7 is the postal code, i dont have my rate sheets handy and i cannot recall the zone we are in!

I hear ya on the waiting, the last thing ya need is a hundred people in soggy diapers screamin at you wondering where their diapers are! LOL

Hopefully this turns out well and you can start supplying various types of diapers. I have been dying to try out some of the ABU products, but once again logistics up to YK has screwed me over. it would be nice to have a canadian distributor *wink* *wink* LOL

Are you only going to ship by Purolator? I ask because I usually get everything mailed to my post office box as I am not always available at home for a shipment to arrive.

That's a good question.

I'm going to send this through my rep because Purolator and Canada Post are in cahoots with each other (one owns a chunk of the other or so I'm told) so they can hand things off.

I should be able to direct a Purolator shipment into the regular mail stream on request.

Since I don't have a volume agreement with Canada Post, they would in turn charge me an outrageous rate to send a parcel (around $46 inter-region), so that wouldn't be feasible.

The sheer size of these Dry Care cases are what is throwing wrenches in the system...

Let me get back to you on that one.

X1A-2N7 is the postal code, i dont have my rate sheets handy and i cannot recall the zone we are in!

I got the quote back from my rep and you should fall almost bang on the included shipping line I've set. It might be out by a dollar but I'm good with that.

You're in zone D14.

So order away! :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Guest YkDave

Thats great!

well, i did just buy a couple cases of bamb's from B4NS last week, so i will be good for this month at least. Hopefully by the time i start runnin low you will have your samples available and i can decide from there what im going to be restocking with next! Like i said, i dont mind helping out a new upcoming supplier, but i want to keep with a decent product too :)

Are they here yet?

Are they here yet?

Are they here yet?

LOL

Oh man, don't go there, I'm already sitting on pins and needles myself. I mean, think about you waiting for one or two cases to arrive by mail.

I'm waiting for 320 cases to arrive by train! :o

I got an update this morning though - the coloring for the large size is now going to be white instead of peach. So both medium and large are now coming in white.

Doesn't make a difference to me but it might to potential buyers, so there it is.

Guest YkDave

that is good to know!

Myself (and probably alot others) definitely care about color. I dont mind the blue or green, though i definitely prefer white, i just cant see myself wearing some of those tacky colors that are out there (pink/peach being the worst!)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

The shipment is on the way with an estimated date of arrival in Montreal port on September 23. There are 297 cases on board, 50 large and the rest medium. As far as I have been made aware, these are all the new style product, and they are all white.

By the time they arrive, customs clears them, and they ship to Edmonton, then to us, I cannot imagine them being here before the 1st of October.

I had hoped to have them ready for September 1st, but first time importations, first time orders, lots of first time contracts to sign, etc. ...

We'll aim to order another shipment as soon as the first 1/3 of this shipment is gone. I want to avoid a back order situation as much as possible.

Now that I know the order is on the way I can concentrate on a web site. Weee!

Will continue to keep everyone up to date.

Will continue to keep everyone up to date.

EEEEEEEEExxxxxxxcccceeeeellllent

I am in Edmonton; I am interested in buying and trying; whether you prefer to deliver or have me pop by (at your convenience, both as to time and place.) However I am interested in starting with less than a full case; what is the smallest quantity you deal in beyond samples, which I assume are singles? I assume a case is subdivided into two bags from the manufacturer; is this so in this case?

As to marketing... Are you open to hosting a vendor party, hypothetically? Much like a tupperware party, where a group takes advantage of bulk pricing but for individually smaller orders? I would like to try out the product...

I think it might be cool to merge a regular Calgary/Edmonton meet with the above described vendor party; what say you?

what is the smallest quantity you deal in beyond samples, which I assume are singles? I assume a case is subdivided into two bags from the manufacturer; is this so in this case?

As stated a few posts back, the cases are actually four bags of 18 for a case of 72. We'll sell by the bag, but you know the case price is going to be much more attractive.

There is going to be a free sample run when the goods arrive, and after that I'll most likely dish samples out in twos for a small cost.

As to marketing... Are you open to hosting a vendor party, hypothetically? Much like a tupperware party, where a group takes advantage of bulk pricing but for individually smaller orders? I would like to try out the product...

I think it might be cool to merge a regular Calgary/Edmonton meet with the above described vendor party; what say you?

Right now it's too early to start making plans of this type for the customer level. I'm not against it, I'm just realistic on the time commitment and I expect I'll be busy in the office shipping the first container out while organizing another one to come in. I also have to wait on a final tally of costs once it lands. I might be totally out to lunch on my projected costs and lose my shirt. I certainly won't see a profit of any kind on a 20 foot container, but ordering a 40 foot container from the start was not an acceptable risk.

I appreciate the ideas but for the next few weeks there is going to be a lot of hurry up and wait going on.

Received a tracking e-mail this afternoon stating the container has landed mid-port and is changing ships and is due in Montreal on the 5th of September. So it's looking like the original date of the 23rd was meant for it to arrive in Edmonton.

Keeping all sorts of body parts crossed for a nice early delivery.

You do have a great advantage being able to pick up cases locally, that's a chunk of shipping saved. As to the quality, you're welcome to take advantage of the free samples and make an informed decision. :thumbsup:

Received another update today that the boat is moving again and expected in Montreal "on or about the 8th of September" .. as they word it.

Glad to hear things are on track, and logistics permitting, we may soon see you set up in your warehouse, unloaded, sorted, and ready to deliver/ship; I know you will be tremendously busy meeting with volume buyers, and getting things set up at their end, and making sure all aspects of their business go smoothly: orders, payment, customer feedback and system modifications, and all things to do with the courier: timely delivery, accurate orders, handling in-transit damage, and all the many et ceteras.

Might I suggest that as to store-front sales you start with one day a week for customer pickup: Sundays? Then you can get away with one or at most two staff... and local abdl's can organize their own transport to and from your site, not only to buy but to meet you. I like the idea of making a day of ferrying locals to and from your warehouse, giving the non-drivers an alternative to taking the bus home... which would otherwise limit their purchasing...

Not to mention generating immediate cash flow, whereas accounts receivable from big buyers can take a month to come in.

You say you'll sell by the pack (bag) ? same pack size for large and medium? Have you settled on a per pack price as well as per case? I expect many of we low-volume, occasional buyers don't balk so much at the case price as such, but are leery to buy a full case until they've bought and tried a pack.

May I point out that one important reason to cater to us is that in your early game customer reviews of the product and your service are critical ; since both are unknown quantities, getting the word out and getting good reviews (and customer feedback to uncover and help you solve any issues that arise early in the game) are crucial to establish your customer awareness and reputation. In your cost-driven situation, word of mouth is your most cost-effective marketing tool, but second is web-based commentary. DD has the best review setup I know of; and the more people who review your business/your product the greater weight such reviews will get ie the more statistically valid they will be. Also you want any bad reviews as coming soon as possible to reveal any problems with the product or the system.

Unrelated question:

When you eventually turn your attention to sample giveaways/selling, do you have a packaging idea in mind, suitable for mail distribution? I expect the manufacturer can supply prepackaged presealed samples designed for mailing, in an attractive plastic pouch. Much better than your having to repackage: more hygienic, less time-consuming, better product branding, and cheaper overall.

You might consider ways to strongly encourage sample recipients to make reviews, and for you to amass meaningful statistics to wave under the noses of volume buyers. You might distribute samples in waves, holding off each wave until people have given feedback from the previous wave to encourage the volume of responses without colouring what those responses are. By having those responses on DD they will show themselves to be genuine; quoted reviews on a business website might suspected to be concocted.

Guest YkDave

Well, thats good news. looks like things are rolling along nicely.

I will definitely keep my eye on this thread, i want to get in on the action and see what these things are all about!

• 2 weeks later...