LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Any Computer Nerds Use Opendns?

I just found this service and was wondering if anybody else uses it and how they fare with it? I am not seeing too much of a difference but I have the turbo cable modem from my cable company. So not sure I'll see a big difference. Any thoughts or input would be great.

I use dyndns to provide a text address so i can access my home machine when i'm out on vacation or wherever.

That's not what OpenDNS is, it's simply an alternative DNS server you tap into your network settings to avoid having to use those provided by your ISP (for whatever reason).

My ISP has terrible DNS server for my location. They can be slow, refuse to respond, takes forever to update cached records, etc. So I switched to OpenDNS about 18 months ago (and switched off the OpenDNS domain not found response page). I've never looked back :D

I just found this service and was wondering if anybody else uses it and how they fare with it? I am not seeing too much of a difference but I have the turbo cable modem from my cable company. So not sure I'll see a big difference. Any thoughts or input would be great.

I use it and love it. I also use the free web filtering service to reduce the ads I get and keep the kids somewhat off of sites I don't want them on. Its probably a good thing it wasn't around when I first started surfing. Not that my parents would have had a clue as to how to set it up.

I hate it so I switched to google DNS

I switched to OpenDNS when my new ISP redirected all of it's 404 pages to their own search page (404 hijack/redirection). OpenDNS does the same thing but if you install an application that keeps your IP information up-to-date, it will remove that "feature" - allowing real DNS results without the 404 hijack.

I got annoyed that I needed that application in order to do that, so I searched around for an alternative DNS provider. I found opennicproject and used that for awhile. Keep in mind these are all private DNS servers, and I found that I was getting laggy service on some of these. They also offer some private "TLDs" that regular DNS servers cannot access directly. As the service was laggy, I decided to switch to the Google DNS service when it became available. I've been happy with the level of service from Google, and the addresses are easy to remember: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I realise that some people have issues with Google controlling everything in their internet lives, but I honestly don't care if Google gets some anonymous information in exchange for some excellent free services.

I will not revert back to my ISPs DNS servers (unless they stop hijacking/redirecting).

That's not what OpenDNS is, it's simply an alternative DNS server you tap into your network settings to avoid having to use those provided by your ISP (for whatever reason).

My ISP has terrible DNS server for my location. They can be slow, refuse to respond, takes forever to update cached records, etc. So I switched to OpenDNS about 18 months ago (and switched off the OpenDNS domain not found response page). I've never looked back :D

You didn't pay attention to what I wrote, dyndns does more than just providing a dns name for my IP, they have a free dns server system that allows you to select categories of sites to block from dns searches (like known spam, virus, adware, etc sites).

I've been using the main function for years... the other part I just started using back in November.

Anytime a page tries to load from a site that is blocked in the dyndns "defense plan", I see the following messages:

Hostname ad.yieldmanager.com is blocked in your defense plan.

For information on why this site is blocked and how to change your settings, click here.