LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Scientific Nappy Comparisons

i am planing on running tests on nappies, since there seems to be a distinct lack of accurate scientific comparisons.

these tests wil have nothing to do with what the look or feel or sound like or how well they fit, it is a simple capacity test.

all tests wil be carried out with 1 nappy, water wil be added in 250ml increments.

the water wil be warm.

the nappy wil be left for 1 minute after each 250ml.

the nappy wil then be lifted up by one side (one back wing and one front wing on the same side) and if any liquid leaks out it wil be considered to have reached capacity.

the result wil be the quantity of water that the nappy holds WITHOUT any leaking out when it is picked up by the side.

other people are welcome to follow this procedure and post the results here

Guest YkDave

how about using a small concentration of salt also, that way you will get an even more accurate measure of its capacity. All diapers will hold gallons of water, but with the slight bit of salt in urine it drastically reduces their capacity.

that is true but the capacity wil fall proportionaly in all nappies with the addition of salt, so altho this test wil not show how much urine they can hold it wil be a good direct comparrison of the capacity of different nappies.

tescos baby essentials super dry size 6 sucessfuly held 1750ml but leaked quite badly after 2000

it may also be interesting to try doing it while wearing the nappy and simply add the warm water at 1 minute intervals

Guest YkDave

that is true but the capacity wil fall proportionaly in all nappies with the addition of salt, so altho this test wil not show how much urine they can hold it wil be a good direct comparrison of the capacity of different nappies.

Actually that is not true. Some diapers use more SAP than others, the salt has a reaction with the SAP, limiting its ability to absorb water/urine. It does not have the same effect on what ever else has been used in the diaper as filler/absorbant.

For example, abenas seem to not use near as much SAP as some of the other diapers, thus, they should technically hold more than a comparable diaper using more SAP when you use water/salt mix to simulate urine.

hmmm you may have a point there, however this is likely to give the advantage to the cheaper nappies with less super absorbent polymer. i may repeat the test again with salt, but for now ill stick to the origonal experiment.

abena x-plus small held 2500 but leaked a little after 2750

abena x-plus medium held 4250 but leaked quite badly after 4500

Guest YkDave

hmmm you may have a point there, however this is likely to give the advantage to the cheaper nappies with less super absorbent polymer.

Yes.... but that would be the 'real world' scenario, we dont pee pure water so testing with pure water really means nothing to anyone looking to compare the absorbancy of diapers.

this is kind of like me testing the fuel economy of my truck while towing, except doing the test with an unloaded trailer and saying that my milage will be the same with 30,000lbs on the deck.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but if your going to 'waste' a bunch of diapers for a 'scientific' test, you may as well do it right!

Also, how about some sort of weight/pressure test?

some times i dont know why i bother.... the test is as it is because i dont have accurate weighing devices or suitable facilities to do a presure test, nor do i have the the amount of salt i would need to put 90 grams per litre (that seems a bit high)

i kept it nice and simple so that it is a test that anyone can do, and i was hopeing others would join in...

sure the results wont be perfectly accurate but it wil be a step up from the opinion and conjecture that seems to litter these pages.

if all im going get is flame i think im not going to bother posting any further results i get.

... the test is as it is because i dont have accurate weighing devices or suitable facilities to do a presure test, nor do i have the the amount of salt i would need to put 90 grams per litre...

if all im going get is flame i think im not going to bother posting any further results i get.

I don't think anybody is flaming you, leafy, they're just giving you recommendations of how to perform a proper scientific test. Look at the title you chose for this topic, then read what you just wrote about "test is as it is because I don't have...". See the disconnect?

I think we all appreciate you sharing the results of the little experiment you've decided to do, but classifying it as "scientific nappy comparisons" whilst disregarding sound recommendations for a scientific study seems ludicrous. Change the title to "My diaper tests" or something.

Guest YkDave

Not trying to flame you at all. You just say you want to do a 'scientific test', but you dont want to perform it in a 'real world' scenario, its kind of pointless. Not very scientific at all really!

Salt in the urine has a HUGE impact on how much the SAP can absorb, urine has salt in it so to be an accurate test you should be using salt water.

Just seems like a big waste of diapers and time to do it with water and get inaccurate results.

Actually, since testing a diaper using tap water instead of saline results in meaningless data, by definition that does render the test non-scientific.

Carlos Richer, the pioneer of disposable diaper manufacturing in Mexico and Latin America runs a consulting service. On The Richter website there is information about the scientific testing of disposables so that students can do that as science fair projects. There you can find the formula for making your own saline. The good news is that does not need to be sterile as would be the case for injectable saline solution. Previously on my posts I have provided the URL for Richer's site and even the science fair page.

just because its not perfect does not make it non scientific.

I still say it's a scientific test for the drinkers out there...I put this in another post. But I'm sure I don't have much of anything other than mostly water coming out on those nights...so my vote is let the guy run the darn test :P

I still say it's a scientific test for the drinkers out there...I put this in another post. But I'm sure I don't have much of anything other than mostly water coming out on those nights...so my vote is let the guy run the darn test :P

thank you, i wasnt going to mention that but since i get through at least 6 litres of water a day with alcohol on top of that i personally dont notice very much difference in the absorbency when using my own urine or warm tap water.

and since there does seem to be some interest i wil continue the tests.

i would like to politely ask those of you who are not interested in this test to refrain from posting here in future.

i would also like to invite any one else who wants to add to this test to conduct the test (as described in the first post) and post your results here.

I like my version better, as posted before. My study is how many beers you can drink, and still not leak down your leg. I post my documents and diapers in a beer/time chart. My first is Molicares vs. Abena Xplus..in a small. First Molicares..takes me about 3 to 4 beers to conduct this test..subsequent beers increase the flow. Fact finding, Molicares can take 6 voidings but only just barely..you don't want to set down..Xpluses about the same..except you can set down about 3 minutes earlier.. You still need to change..just gives ya about 3 minutes..(thread Highjack) anyway..yeah I was drinking..so carry on :P

• 3 weeks later...

abena abri form x-plus small held 2500 but leaked a little after 2750

abena abri form x-plus medium held 4250 but leaked quite badly after 4500

tescos baby essentials super dry size 6 held 1750ml but leaked quite badly after 2000

sainsbury's comfort dry white coton like feel discreet pants (medium size) held 1000 but leaked a litle after 1250

pampers baby dry size 6 held 2000 but leaked a little after 2250

note. the super absorbent polymer was not at its limit but the shape of the nappy was restricting it from further expansion along the mid section of the nappy, had this not been the case i think it would have been able to hold 2250 but 2500 was definitely out of the question.

contisure contifit plus all in ones test stil to be conducted

kendall lille supreme fit all in one medium plus (large size) test stil to be conducted

Hey perhaps you could tell that pesky neighbor this was a "hands on" scientific test you were conducting and kill two birds with one stone??? :P

Hey perhaps you could tell that pesky neighbor this was a "hands on" scientific test you were conducting and kill two birds with one stone??? :P

lol its not the neighbour that is the problem, he has been remarkably cool about it, it is dimitris (my flatmate) that is the problem, i was wanting to bring one of my babies over to mine for the second time but when i told him that i was about to book a ticket for him he completly flew off the handle and threatned to break stuff and not pay the rent (which i would have to sort out if he then ran off back to greece) if i braught him over again.....

any how this is miles off topic!

• 5 months later...

i have been away for ages but i have a bit of free time today, makes a change! so im going to conduct a few more tests, and i now have some bambinos imported from ammerica at great expence :P so they wil be tested today. stand by for the results here soon.

the bambinos medium held 4250 but leaked quite badly after 4500

i wil hopefuly be recieving some cuddles soon so they wil get tested too