LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Cloth Diapers

Im sure this has been covered almost infinitely so I apologize for that.

Can someone give me the run down on cloth diapers, I have never used them or wanted to before, but I keep hearing about them and would like to give them a try.

Which is better, rubber pants or plastic pants? Whats the difference?

Where is a good place to buy them? I have not seen them at local retail stores.

What about the diaper itself, I have heard of gauze diapers... ? what is that?

Any tips would be awesome!

Hi Liz,

There are a lot of fabrics that either have been or are being used as washable diapers. Today cotton is the main material for cloth diapers, but sometimes a non-woven synthetic is added as the soaker in pre-folds.

If you can find an infant store handling cloth diapers in the USA, the choice would be 27" square Birdseye weave or pre-folds of either gauze or Birdseye as the outer layers. Gerber uses Kodafil as the synthetic non-woven "sponge" running down the center the long way on the pre-folds.

On-line you can order adult pre-folds made of gauze and flannel. In the UK terry cloth is popular for nappies, their term for diapers. Most on-line suppliers offer a selection of Velcro-fastening contoured flannel diapers.

Over most cloth diapers you need waterproof panties, pants or covers. Prior to 1942 latex or some other form of rubber was the only choice, hence the term "rubber pants" for any waterproof pants. When latex and all rubber was in short supply during WWII vinyl became popular. After 1946 latex or rubber baby pants never regained enough customers to stay in production. PlayTex latex baby pants went out of production in 1954.

Hardly ever will a baby prefold fit on anyone the size of a petite teen. On really short folks the 27" dimension is just barely long enough. Liz, since you can fit well into GoodNites, it would be worth a try. I am one of those incontinent people who buys Gerber Birdseye prefolds that I place where needed as the soaker of my gauze diapers. For practical purposes the gauze and Birdseye today are so similar as to be no nevermind as far as diaper function. I need a slightly larger square gauze diaper, so I buy the 33" from Adult Cloth Diaper Company. They also make a 44", plus adult prefolds.

All cloth diapers arrive coated with a special starch called sizing which needs to be washed out of the diaper prior to first use. Cloth diapers are an investment and they need to be correctly washed soon after use. My family uses a lot of gauze diapers so we do a load every day. Some only wash diapers every 2 or 3 days. Trust me you do not want to store urine soaked diapers as long as 4 days. If the diaper is messed with poop it needs to be rinsed, scraped, pre-soaked right away and washed within a day.

Most suppliers make vinyl pants. Some also make polyester pants and some people like those. Only a few firms make rubber pants. Vinyl pants can be washed in several ways depending on the kind of vinyl. The care of rubber panties is an art.

Good diapering.

Can someone give me the run down on cloth diapers, I have never used them or wanted to before, but I keep hearing about them and would like to give them a try.

Liz,

There are a lot of on-line vendors selling cloth diapers and waterproof panties.

The Kins department of Babykins does not make gauze or Birdseye diapers. They are famous for their flannel contour diapers with Velcro tabs and pull-on diaper panties, some with terry soakers. They make combinations which include a waterproof outer layer.

Kins also makes the soft thin vinyl pull-on panties I wear. They make rubber pants as well as polyester. Although they are in Canada, they charge fair shipping prices, their quality is great and they pave fair prices.

Because I do not like flannel diapers I buy my adult gauze diapers from Adult Cloth Diaper Company. I am not sure who on-line sells Gerber baby prefolds. The last 2 cases of those I bought were Birdseye and from my local Babies-R-Us store. The price then was about US$10.00 per dozen. Normally they sell those in bags of a dozen, but the manager ordered extra for me.

Thanks for the info! Very descriptive and just what I needed.

Is there a good reliable place to buy?

Hi diaperliz,

I also buy gauze diapers and plastic pants from ACD. ACD and their products are really nice. Yes they are discreet and their customer service is wonderful.

Happy diapering!

CDL

I have worn cloth diapers for most of my life at night.

I prefer birdseye or gauze. Flannel winds up on the dryer screen.

I prefer rectangular diapers. They tend to bunch up between ones legs but that is where the absrobancy is needed.

Some people like the velcro fasteners. I use pins because I have experienced trouble with the velcro from washing.

I wear plastic overpants. Rubber pants feel and smell like a pencil eraser. I remember the old Bitners from when I was a kid.

I agree with Angela on everything.

I hope this helps

RDB

Hi Diaperliz !

Try this. Get two yards of fleece in the sewing department of Wal-Mart. Wash. Fold to fit and pin them on.

If you want to wet, you will need plastic pants. Basic, simple. Use real baby prefold diapers as stuffers for

more absorbancy. $25 should cover costs.

HAPPINESS IS WEARING COTTON DIAPERS