LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Computer Geek Needed

I am considering buying a second hand wireless card or USB device to be able to download pics and videos. I have a dial-up connection. It is cheap ($9.95/Mo.) and works well enough for e-mail and text based sites but I can't download videos and pictures are slow. I used to be able to download videos and they would get stored so I could watch them as a replay but this no longer seems to work. I would like to do Google Earth but on dial-up it takes longer than an actuary would give me. If I had a job I would get DSL because the rates are getting low enough for me to fit a crowbar into my wallet.

Security wise, does the host computer have any access to my internet wanderings assuming they're not a computer tech. Why not? I am not callous. I wouldn't want the host to receive mature content that they didn't want.

I would not do e-mail via the piggyback but if I am on a site that requires a log-in would my surfing be traceable? Whose ISP would I be using? How would I direct my computer which connection to use? Dial-up or WiFi?

I know this is a lot of detailed questions but I am hoping someone can help someone who knows how to drive a car and where the gas goes but nothing about internal combustion engines.

Anondl

ok, well first you have to understand the host computer would be a router and not the actual computer owned by the person you are piggy backing with. routers have very limited memory so it can't store much. So there isn't a trail of sites, email and such you have been to on there . Unless the people actually took measures to record your internet traffic via wireshark or something similar then the ISP or Provider of the host and your browser are essentially the only people with records. And you would be using his ISP. You would need to disable the dialup modem in network properties and it would default to the wifi. You may not have to do that actually it may do it be default. I'm not sure.

Basically, what Tenderheart said.

The logging capabilities of a consumer WiFi router are minuscule, and this feature may not even be enabled by default. I don't even think a program like Wireshark would do much good, because the WiFi router would connect directly to the owner's DSL modem, cable modem, etc. and not to any actual computer. I suppose there are ways around this, but the average user isn't going to be interested.

Logging may vary a bit among devices, but I would think every time you click a link or visit a new web site, that URL stands a chance of being logged. This likely would not apply to the URL's of objects on that page (pictures, script files, CSS files, multimedia, etc.), nor to the actual pictures (etc.) themselves. If you use webmail of practically any sort, or can configure your email client to make a secure connection, there's really no reason to not use the WiFi for email, too. Check with your ISP if you're not sure. Just like with pictures, the router would never log actual email content, but I suppose it could record sender, recipient, date, subject, length, or stuff like that. A secure connection would prevent logging everything but the actual server, ie. pop.foo.com.

Assuming you're using a recent version of Windows, it will always default to the faster connection when more than one is available. It would depend on the client whether you could steer it to use a specific connection. Years ago I used to know a half dozen different email clients, but I'm gotten out of touch. I'm betting against this, but you never know. If you can't do a secure email connection or steer it to dialup, just disable the WiFi when you check your mail.

Hope that helps!

I hope you got that, cause I hadn't a clue as to what the heck you were asking. But I do know how a engine works and have built a few. So while your figuring out all the computer techie stuff. Here's some homework:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

B) The engine thing was just a metaphore. I know that chipmunks run inside a wheel and that's what makes the car go.

Electrons and their attendent devices sometimes mistify me. :D

When I traveled across the country, I took my laptop so I could keep in contact with family via email. As I was camping in Walmart parking lots (in the back of my p/u truck, no less), we did not have a reliable source of WiFi. Usually parking my truck in the parking lot next to a hotel that says 'Free Wifi Internet' or 'Wireless Internet' almost guaranteed a stable connection. Some hotels use a security key (WEP or WPA - essentially a code or password to access the internet), but most don't, as it is rather complicated for some people to understand - and what hotel attendant wants to act as a computer technical support person.) Most people have gotten smart - especially around where I live - and now also apply security keys to their personal WiFi network. So - you may see lots and lots of access points around you, but you may only be able to access a couple of them.

As far as your questions concerning your security, I would ensure a few things before I connected to an unfamiliar network.

1. Enable your firewall on that connection. Windows XP makes this easy, and almost always does it by default.

2. On your network connection, remove 'File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks', from the properties of your WiFi network connection. You don't want to unwittingly open your files and folders to people, do you? (Even though the possibility is low.)

3. For your email, I know that Outlook Express (if you're using that for you email client) allows you to assign an internet connection to use specifically for each email account. For example, if you are paying for ISP A, but are surfing on Wireless Lan B, than you could set your Email Account to only use ISP A. Other email clients may have these options, but I don't remember how to do it.

Remember, though - be kind. With download caps and the likes, you could be pushing peoples broadband connections past their limits if you're downloading like crazy and the likes. There are moral and legal concerns with doing this as well, and I believe that they have been debated on the board before - so I won't go into that. But I will say this: If people aren't smart enough to protect their Broadband connection, then they (don't deserve, but) open themselves up to this type of situation. It's as if they're almost asking for it.

Happy surfing.

Edit: Link to WiFi Piggybacking / Morality debate thread - http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.ph...597&hl=wifi

WEP is secure? :bash:

WEP and secure should never be used in the same sentence. This was the eleventh commandment, wouldn't fit on the stone tablets and so got dropped. This is why Mosses used a staff because of his bad foot from the fallen stone. All well known scientific facts.

WEP is secure? :bash:

WEP and secure should never be used in the same sentence. This was the eleventh commandment, wouldn't fit on the stone tablets and so got dropped. This is why Mosses used a staff because of his bad foot from the fallen stone. All well known scientific facts.

No, of course WEP is not secure, it can be broken very quickly by anyone who knows what he/she is doing. However, it does keep out the technically less literate, and keeps people like the OP from stealing your bandwidth. I use WPA2-PSK because it is much more secure.

And as someone else mentioned, for the OP, keep in mind that you are stealing your neighbors bandwidth. If this is morally ok to you, so be it.

No, of course WEP is not secure, it can be broken very quickly by anyone who knows what he/she is doing. However, it does keep out the technically less literate, and keeps people like the OP from stealing your bandwidth. I use WPA2-PSK because it is much more secure.

And as someone else mentioned, for the OP, keep in mind that you are stealing your neighbors bandwidth. If this is morally ok to you, so be it.

I hate to break it to you but WPA is as useless as wep if you know what your are doing. Wifi isn't secure period I know if done some testing with it. Also, if it isn't secured I wouldn't call that stealing I intentionally leave my wifi open so people can use it. Anyway, he may have worked out a deal with him you don't know.

here's links to the whole wpa cracking if you care

http://www.mirrors.wiretapped.net/security...rcrack-wpa.html

http://www.itworld.com/security/57285/once...ryption-cracked

http://www.renderlab.net/projects/WPA-tables/

WPA2 is fairly safe. Just don't use a password in a dictionary. Or make sure its longer than 20 characters.

just thought I would let you know

My apologies on the 'secure' comment, I didn't wish to create another debate. ;)

...but... putting a padlock on your door is considered securing it (in the eyes of the law.) Intentionally breaking that security measure and entering the premises, however easy, is still considered 'breaking and entering' (once again, in the eyes of the law.)

That being said. Yes, wep is not overly secure. wpa is better, but still not secure to those that want in. If someone is going to go through all that trouble to rob me of my bandwidth, they can have it. The security measure is just there to keep the honest thieves out. I wouldn't leave my wireless access point / router on the safe side of my network - but that's another story again.

I hate to break it to you but WPA is as useless as wep if you know what your are doing. Wifi isn't secure period I know if done some testing with it.

Hey, thanks for the links! I never had much use for WiFi until recently, and so never had any incentive to dig into issues like this. Looks like fun! :)

:)

Thanks for all the replies. Now my brain hurts. :huh:

I have saved this thread as text and will read it over and over until I understand it all.

:D

My neighbour wants to give me a wi-fi card and help me install it. I am sure he is not AB/DL.

I do have my "hobby" bookmarks segregated :thumbsup: "Danger Will Robinson!"

I am treading close to the edge here. I also have a package that should arrive from XP Medical in the next day or so.

"I'm so confused" :lol:

Anondl

I got's a question. Do you have a laptop or a Home system. Either way I was thinking something...perhaps this neighbor with the WiFi card has wireless DSL or Cable or has idea's where you could get access it close to you. If someone is using the newer "G" series they might be within your range. Perhaps you could have a talk with a neighbor and give them the $10 bucks that you are using for dialup, to share their network...might be worth a shot. I sell access to mine to a neighbor for $15 a month. But I got a blazing fast network for our area (15 Mbs). So I don't notice most times, that and he works a different shift than I do. That way it really wouldn't be "stealing" as he is paying for what is getting used anyway.

A simple directional antenna (Somewhat cheap) can help as well to give you a better connection. Hope it all works out for you as I can't even stand to type "Diap-up" much more it gives me the creeps.

BTW I wouldn't worry about your browser and the like of what you have on it for the neighbor..Once the Internet is connected just go to a free webspeed address and verify your speed..once that's done there is no need to be mussing around your system on his part. Best of luck.

I got's a question. Do you have a laptop or a Home system. Either way I was thinking something...perhaps this neighbor with the WiFi card has wireless DSL or Cable or has idea's where you could get access it close to you. If someone is using the newer "G" series they might be within your range. Perhaps you could have a talk with a neighbor and give them the $10 bucks that you are using for dialup, to share their network...might be worth a shot. I sell access to mine to a neighbor for $15 a month. But I got a blazing fast network for our area (15 Mbs). So I don't notice most times, that and he works a different shift than I do. That way it really wouldn't be "stealing" as he is paying for what is getting used anyway.

A simple directional antenna (Somewhat cheap) can help as well to give you a better connection. Hope it all works out for you as I can't even stand to type "Diap-up" much more it gives me the creeps.

BTW I wouldn't worry about your browser and the like of what you have on it for the neighbor..Once the Internet is connected just go to a free webspeed address and verify your speed..once that's done there is no need to be mussing around your system on his part. Best of luck.

Thanks Repaid,

I have a desktop. I prefer to keep my dial-up because I seldom need anything faster and I don't want to change my e-mail address. I would rather not use one of the many free e-mail services because having a dedicated e-mail seems more professional when I communicate with potential employers. DD Board& Chat is basically text and fast enough. I do read a lot of news (Yahoo News being my favorite) and it too is basically text. I have an an add on that blocks pics when I am on news sites. My neighbor has no problem with me piggy-backing on to his (I only recently found this out) system.

My purpose for WiFi is to be able to see video or other byte intensive material and on rare occasions be able to use the phone and Internet at the same time. Sometimes its a pain in the ass. I worked on a music video in the 80's that I only saw 4 months ago.

I've been checking Craigslist for WiFi adaptors.

Anondl