LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Tom and Charlotte's Choice

Ishigreensa

“We can ask her if she knows how.” Charlotte suggested. “Maybe she didn’t have a chance to bathe at the other foster homes.” She thought aloud.

”We should go shopping tomorrow if that’s the case. Even if she does have decent clothes in there, that’s not many. Push comes to shove she can borrow something of Jessica’s for the time being.” She looked at the small girl in the rear view mirror and frowned a bit. The poor girl had seemingly gone through a lot in the past week.

“I don’t know if you’re going to be going to gymnastics tomorrow.” She said when she heard her daughter talking. “We want to spend time together this weekend getting to know Lani and letting her get adjusted to our house. You can go back next time.” 

"Honey, I don't think she would know if she knew how or not, though.  If her mom was neglectful of her, she has probably been trying to do it for a while, but if she was never taught, she's probably missing places."

He sighed.

"Well, you are more knowledgeable about what kids can learn on their own.  Maybe you are right.  I guess I'll let you decide."

He nodded when Charlotte talked about the little one needing some clothes.  "Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to get her something, I suppose.  I mean, she's been accused of stealing in her file, right?  Maybe her stealing has to do with trying to get clothes or food?"

He looked back at the little one, and while he still wasn't sure about keeping her, he did think that she was a cute kid, somehow.

Jessica frowned.  "Daddy!"

"Jessica, your mom is right.  You can go to gymnastics anytime, but right now, we need to make our guest feel comfortable at home.  So, you can miss one day."

Charlotte frowned. “I don’t know. I’m not sure what’s best honestly. I know I’m around kids more than you, but not younger than Jessica.” She explained with a sigh.

“It doesn’t say why or what she’s stolen. But I mean how dangerous can a child so small be?” She said, not entirely convinced the little girl was actually a thief.

”Jessica, you don’t get to just ask Daddy if you don’t like my answer. We’re a team.” She scolded lightly. “I know you’re upset but it’ll be okay. You’ll be back at gymnastics in a few days.”

Lani tried not to pay attention to Jessica getting upset and then scolded. She didn’t want to be accused of being nosy. She felt bad that she just showed up and was already causing problems for the family. 

Tom turned and faced Jessica now realizing exactly what had happened.  It nearly went over his head, because he was so used to just letting things go when Jessica did little things like that.

"Jessica, you mom is right about that, too.  You've done that in reverse in the past, too haven't you?"

Jessica blinked up at him.  "In reverse?"

"When you didn't like an answer I gave, you asked your mom behind my back?"

Jessica nodded.  "I just thought I needed permission from one of you."

"Well, you are a big girl now, honey.  I don't think you should be doing that.  It's wrong, and normally, the one saying no has a good reason.  If anything, you should at least tell the one parent that the other said no before asking again so your mom and I can discuss things.  We both want what is best for you, and sometimes, the best answer is yes in the end, but if one of us says no, the best answer probably is no."

Jessica frowned.

"But you're only saying no now because of her," she pointed at Lani.  "She's the only one messing this up, so how is that best for me."

"If she is staying here, you need to learn to get along with her," Tom told Jessica.  "And this conversation is done.  Eat your food and stop.  You're just whining now."

Jessica frowned and looked down.

"Well, I mean she is only a couple of years younger than Jessica," Tom went on with the conversation before Jessica had to be taken care of.  "I'm sure she's not that different, honey.  I think you are just nervous because we don't know anything about her yet.  I do know, however, if she is stealing, we will have to teach her not to do that if she's going to stay."

He sighed.

"Yeah, you are right.  She's probably not really dangerous.  She's probably just difficult.  She has been in how many families that didn't want her after just a day or so?  I don't know.  I mean, if she just needs love, that is one thing, but the thing is, we do have our own child that also needs our love.  We can't ignore Jessica if this one needs too much, you know?"

He wasn't sure if he was trying to talk Charlotte into not having her, but he did want Charlotte to be thinking realistically about whether they could give this deprived child the love she needed without ignoring their own daughter.

“I know she’s not that much younger. But I don’t know what’s best for her.” Charlotte sighed. “We’ll definitely have to teach her not to steal and how to behave, but she doesn’t seem bad so far. Maria said she bullies other kids but she seems skittish if anything.”

She shook her head and thought to herself. “I don’t want to send her back so soon, but maybe we’re not the best fit for her after all.” She said to her husband, starting to doubt their decision to foster Lani.

Lani frowned and stared at her lap. She felt like a burden already and wondered how long she’d last here before they sent her back. She did her best to stay still but couldn’t help but fidget in place. 

"Well, I don't know if we should be too quick to judge," Tom said honestly.  "I mean, I just wanted you to be open about it, but I am willing to see what happens, and I do think before we send her back, she at least needs a bath, some food in her, and a few more clothes.  I also don't like the shoes she has on.  It seems to me they've seen better days."

He took her hand.  "How about we see how things are going in a week.  If she hasn't stolen anything, and if the girls' interactions improve a little, then we can talk about this again?"

He smiled at Charlotte.  "We do need to make sure that Jessica doesn't feel like she's being abandoned, though, you know what I mean?"

Jessica frowned as she looked over at Lani.  She didn't know what the girl was up to, but she felt like she was not behaving like a little sister, and she hated that.  How was she supposed to talk to her or even relate to her if she didn't even act like her younger sister at all?  She blew a spitting sigh out, and looked out her side window.

"I don't know what mom and dad expect me to do with her," she whispered to herself not yet having the skill to mentally think or read yet.

Charlotte nodded. “I at least want to have her leave in better shape than when she arrived.” She agreed.

”I think that’s fair. I just hope we can do something right for the poor thing. But you’re right, I don’t want Jessica to be worse off just so we can help Lani.” She agreed. She wasn’t sure what she hoped for at this point. She didn’t know if keeping her or sending her back would be better right now.

With that air cleared, for now, Tom smiled.

"Well, I think we should head back to the house," he said.  "I'm done eating."

He looked around to see who else was done, but Jessica did tend to eat slower than most of her peers, so she still had her fries and her shake.  It wouldn't be the first time she'd be eating on fries in the car after a stop at McDonalds when her parents were done eating.

Jessica looked over to see if the girl was done, or if he was hiding more potatoes, since she didn't see how she could have eaten all that chicken as fast as she appeared to have done.

Charlotte had finished her food and just hoped that things would go as smoothly as possible.

Lani had finished the rest of her food quite quickly and had been long finished by the time Tom started driving again. She still had the few nuggets in her pocket just in case, but she knew that nobody saw her hide them.

When they got home, Charlotte took a deep breath. She went around and got Jessica out of the car. “Why don’t you go play? Daddy and I are going to show Lani around the house a little bit. Or you can join us.” She said as they headed inside.

Lani stayed still and silent when they arrived at the house. She was still holding onto her dirty backpack in her lap. She didn’t want to get in trouble by trying to get out of the car without permission, plus it’s not like she could do it anyway. 

Jessica frowned when mommy seemed to be more concerned about entertaining the intruder rather than herself.  First, she's not a baby, like--at all, then she's rude to her when Jessica felt she had a right to know how old her younger sister was, and yet, she wasn't really pushy about it, she just asked an the twerp said... None of her business?  Then Jessica told her what she thought of the kid being a little brat, and then she accused her of calling her names to her mother to get her in trouble!  There is no way a four year old would be this rude, and now, the intruder was going to take both her parent's attention away?  Not if Jessica had a say about it!

Jessica nodded, as if to be obedient.  She didn't blame her mommy at all.  It was Lani's fault, and Lani was going to learn that Jessica lived here, and was here first.  If she didn't want to be her little sister, then she would have to go back where she came from.

Jessica went to her room to figure out how she could get even with the little intruder.

Tom went to the side of the car that Lani was in, and opened the door.  It looked a little hard for her to reach the seatbelt buckle, so he unfastened it for her, and then he helped her out and put her bag on her shoulders for her.  She was kind of cute, he had to admit.  He smiled, and trying to show a little kindness, he picked her her up and walked over to open the door to the house, then he gestured for everyone to come in.  He noticed that Jessica was kind of pouty and she gave Lani a couple of ill-willed glances.

"We'll talk about how we will help out Lani for the next few days after dinner," he put a hand on Jessica's shoulder to let her know that she was included, and that he wanted her to feel a part of it.  "But as you already know where things are, you can just go play for now while we get Lani situated and accustomed to where everything is."

Jessica could only nod, but now, it was war.  Now, even daddy was going to ignore Jessica, and she was used to being a daddy's girl!

Lani didn’t protest or even say anything for that matter when Tom got her out of the car. She was surprised that he was carrying her, she couldn’t remember the last time her mother carried her back at home.

She felt guilty that Jessica didn’t want her in her home. She didn’t want to cause trouble in the new house, even if she didn’t think they’d keep her.

Charlotte sighed and looked at Tom when she saw Jessica pouting. She put on a smile though, not wanting to upset Lani.

“So, where should we start?” She asked her husband. 

Tom frowned when he saw Jessica had drawn Charlotte's attention, and he was kind of afraid that Lani might have picked up the way Jessica was looking at her, too.  He wasn't really sure what to do about Jessica, though, and he smiled at both Charlotte and then back to Lani.

"Well, I think we should show here where she'd be spending most of her time first, so maybe the downstairs and then her bedroom?" Tom offered.  "After that, maybe the bathroom in case she wants to use it, and then we can take her outside in the back for a moment or two?"

Jessica ran up the stairs, and in her room, she dived on to her bed and putting both her hands on her chin and resting her elbows on the pillow, she started thinking about how to get her parents' attention.

Tom just carried Lani towards the living room, and showed her they had a television there, a little space for playing that was cleaned up at the moment, and the bookcase, where the children's books were on the lower shelves and the more adult books were on the higher shelves.  
"Do you like to read?" Tom asked Lani as he squatted down so she could see the Kid shelves.

Jessica knew she couldn't do anything directly to Lani, though she really wanted to.  Hurting Lani wasn't nice, and her parents would be even more upset at her than they were now.  She just had to do something to get their attention away from Lani, but what?  She continued thinking....

Charlotte nodded. “That sounds like a good idea.”

Lani was a bit surprised by how big and nice their house seemed. Her own house was much smaller and rundown, and the foster homes she went to were much more crowded. She looked around in awe, trying to take everything in.

She nodded quickly and seemed excited by the large selection of books on the shelf. “I read all the time!” She said sounding cheerful for the first time since meeting them.

Charlotte smiled and squatted down next to Lani and Tom. “What kind of books do you like to read?” She asked cheerfully, hoping to make conversation with the little girl.

Lani however, didn’t respond to Charlotte. She stared at her feet and shrugged, fidgeting in place a bit. “I dunno.” She mumbled, not wanting to be disrespectful and not answer, but clearly not wanting to talk to Charlotte.

Charlotte frowned and looked over at her husband, having not expected this whatsoever. 

Tom pulled out the story book about the Wolf and the three Pigs, but in reality, it was so simple, that a first or second grader could read it.  He didn't want to overwhelm her.  He knew that Jessica didn't like hard books, and so, it seemed better to him to show her an easier book first.

"Do you know this story?" he asked Lani.  The book was very easy!  Even a struggling first grader, could probably stumble through it.

He glanced at the way she was non-responsive to Charlotte, not sure if Charlotte just asked the wrong question, or if somehow, she wasn't comfortable with her.  If anything, though, he figured she wasn't comfortable with him.  He was a man.  He was the one that didn't really buy into having her yet, and Charlotte was a natural, as she had already taken care of Jessica for the last ten years.

Jessica sighed.  "Something that won't hurt that brat, but will get daddy's attention...," Jessica was thinking.  "I could cry out like I got hurt?  But then mommy will fuss all over me, and Lani will still get daddy!  Maybe... I could accidentally leave the water on, but that will probably just make them mad.... I don't know.  Did daddy see my latest bead bracelet?  He probably wouldn't really care though...."

Jessica kicked her feet on her bed in frustration.  Why couldn't she find an easy way to get Lani away from her daddy?

Lani looked the book over and nodded. “I read it at school before.” She recalled. She couldn’t remember her mother reading it to her, but she couldn’t remember her mother reading much to her in the first place.

She didn’t know if Tom was expecting her to read the book to him or what. It was a very simple and easy book, so she didn’t really find it entertaining. She wanted to tell Tom that she read chapter books and didn’t really read books with pictures anymore, but she didn’t want to be rude and her mother would’ve told her she was being arrogant. She didn’t want to be bad around these nice people.

Tom smiled and took the book quietly from her relaxed hand as it looked as though she was unsure of what to do with it.

"We do have other books," he picked her up again, and jostled her playfully a moment, and then looking into her little eyes, he went on.  "Is that book easy for you?" he asked her, "...or maybe it's too hard?  I think we have easier ones put in storage somewhere.... I just don't know what you'd like?"

He rubbed her back.
"What's the last book you've read?" he asked.

Jessica drug her blanket from her bed over to her table, and she put a finger to her mouth.  She decided to put a stack of books and blocks on one of the three chairs around the table, and she pulled the chair back until it fell making a very loud sound that was if something really dangerous had fallen.  Then she waited to see if daddy came to check on her.  The blanket was tossed over the chair, and Jessica was under the blanket, but to the side of the chair, hiding.

"What in the world?" Tom suddenly lifted Lani up and looked at Charlotte.  "Where's Jessica?"

Lani looked up when Tom took the book out of her hands. She tried not to frown. Even if it was easy, she really enjoyed books.

She let out a surprised giggle when he jostled her, she was relaxing around him more and more.

She nodded, forgetting to be humble for a moment. “It’s easy.” She confirmed, looking up at Tom, though she avoided eye contact.

“Bridge to Terrebithia.” She answered quickly and excitedly. “The school librarian let me borrow it to read during the summer!” She said happily.

Her happiness turned to a frown though. She got worried. “It’s at home with mommy. I didn’t grab it…” She said anxiously. “I’m ‘sposed to return it when school starts.” She continued, starting to ramble as her mind raced. “If I don’t return it I won’t be allowed to check any more out! I was ‘sposed to be careful with library books.”

Her rambling was cut short when she visibly jumped and covered her ears, absolutely hating the loud sound. She looked around anxiously, trying to find the source.

“I think she’s in her room.” Charlotte said as she stood up. “I’m going to go check on her.”

She hurried upstairs and into Jessica’s room, looking around. “Jessica? Are you okay? We heard a loud crash.”

Tom noticed that she jumped far more than he expected, because he was still holding little Lani.  

"Wow, you were reading Bridge to Terabithia?  Isn't that for a sixth grader or something?" he asked her.

The jump happened, and he pulled the scared child towards him protectively.  He whispered to her.  "It's okay, sweetheart."

Tom nodded.  "I'll see if we can get someone to get the book to the library for you at least," he told her not wanting her to worry about something like that.  He doubted the library was that strict, especially, if they found out about her situation, but he didn't want to try to convince her of it right now.

When Charlotte said she would go up, he looked up on the shelf, looking for something a little better, and he found The Magician's Nephew.  "I don't know if you can read this, but maybe you can."  It wasn't a Narnia tale, but one from a different series.  "Why don't you hold this book for a minute, while we look around some more?  If you decide you don't want to read that one, there is a full case for you to explore later, okay?"

He started to take her to the kitchen.

Jessica was under the blanket that covered the knocked over chair, and a few blocks were seen beyond the blanket where it covered the chair, splattered in the direction of her bedroom door.  She peeked out and then frowned.

"Where's daddy?" she asked, her eyes misty because he had not come up to see if she was hurt.

Lani carefully took her hands off her ears as Tom spoke to her. She was relieved when it seemed there wouldn’t be more loud noises.

She nodded. “I liked it a lot.” She said with a smile. She wasn’t really sure what Tom meant by it being for sixth graders, she was going into third grade.

She seemed satisfied by the response he gave about the library and it eased her mind for now.

Her eyes lit up when he handed her the book. She smiled and held it close to her chest after reading the back. She’d never seen or heard of the book before but was always excited for new series.

She looked up at him as they headed into the kitchen. She held the book close and seemed to be considerably more relaxed compared to when she first got to the house.

Charlotte kneeled down in front of her daughter. “He’s downstairs. I ran up here because we were worried you were hurt.” She frowned. “Are you okay? What caused that loud sound?”

“You know we don’t mind you playing and making noise.” She reminded gently. “But you need to be safe and if something loud crashes you need to tell us you’re okay. We worry about you and care about your safety.”

"I see.  Well, you might like this one then, but I'm not sure.  It's not quite the same.  It is more fantasy," and he took her to the table.

"This is where we eat, and you are allowed to get into the fridge here," he told her as he opened it.  "Jessica knows that you are allowed to get food from this shelf, and this shelf from the door for drinks, but you are only allowed one sugar drink a day.  Make sense?" he asked her.

He showed her an apple from the shelf he showed her.  

"All the other places, might have something you'd like, but you ask for those things, okay?"

He then took her to the pantry where they kept other snacks that didn't need to be cold.
We have peanut butter in here, and some crackers and other things.  You can get some food from here, but just a little at a time.  You're a big girl, you know what means, right?"

He waited though to make sure she understood.

Jessica frowned up at her mother.

"Daddy didn't even come to check on me?" she asked with a frown.  "But the chair could have fallen on me!"  It was obvious she wanted them to come and check on her though she didn't say it outright.  "Alright, I'll be more careful.  I was just making a fort and pulled the blanket too hard and the chair fell," she made up.

It was rare for her to lie to her parents because they normally didn't get mad at her, but somehow, she felt like telling her mom that she just did it to get daddy's attention would not be something she'd want to hear.

Lani nodded intently when Tom explained the fridge rules to her. She was surprised they had it so well stocked and she was supposedly allowed to eat whenever she wanted. She didn’t trust it though, she wanted to be sure she was good so she decided she wouldn’t be grabbing food unless it was offered to her, or she really needed it.

She tried not to frown when he asked if she knew what he meant. She nodded quickly, not wanting to look stupid. She really didn’t know what he meant at all, but didn’t want to say that out loud.

Charlotte frowned. “Honey, we can’t both always come do something.” She said with a sigh. She could tell that Jessica wasn’t quite telling the truth.

She looked at her daughter in the eyes and continued. “Jessica, did you make everything fall and crash on purpose? Just so we’d come up here?” She asked in a somewhat stern tone. 

Jessica frowned and looked in her mom's eyes.

"I was making a fort," she stamped her foot.  "And just cause I wanted daddy to come and see if I was okay doesn't mean I did it on purpose."  She had tears in her eyes.  "That brat tells you I called her names just because I got mad she was rude to me, and said it was being a brat.  That's what brats do, and I just said it cause she said it wasn't my business how old my going to be sister's age was, and she was mean about it.  Then daddy keeps just talking to her, and now I have an accident, and daddy doesn't even care!  I hate this room!"

She stormed over to her closet and got in as far as she could.

"Go back to your new baby!  I don't matter!" she yelled.

Tom wasn't sure if she did understand, but for now, she nodded, so he decided not to push her.

"Do you want me to put you down?" he asked her realizing that carrying her around might make her feel like he thought she was a baby or something.  "Why don't we go see your bedroom, next, if you like?"

Charlotte sighed. She sat down outside of Jessica’s closet.

”Jessica, Lani hasn’t spoken a single word to me. She didn’t tell me anything. You called her a brat to me. Calling someone a brat is calling them a name. You’d be very upset if she called you a brat wouldn’t you?” She explained, not liking that she’s so willing to blame Lani.

“Lani probably didn’t have anyone teaching her manners like me and Daddy taught you. We’re going to teach her to talk nicer to you.” She continued, hoping that she’d understand. “But you know that sometimes when you’re scared or upset, you get snappy and don’t always talk very nicely. Lani just met us and you got very close to her face and she’s scared and confused.”

“You are extremely important to us sweetie. Daddy and I love and adore you. Lani isn’t a replacement. We want you two to get along and like each other. It takes time though.” She sighed and shook her head.

“You’re still a big sister. And as a big sister it’s your job to show her our rules and be a good example. I know you like showing people all the things you can do. So we need you to show her how we act in this house.” She hoped that this would incentivize Jessica to get along better with Lani.

Lani shrugged. “I don’t mind.” She responded. Truthfully speaking, she kind of enjoyed it. She couldn’t remember the last time someone held her like Tom was.

“My bedroom?” She asked in surprise. At home of course she had her own room, but at the other foster homes she was sharing with at least one or two other kids. She didn’t expect to get her own bedroom by any means. 

"I wanted a baby sister," Jessica said in a lone tone.  "Lani is not a baby, and she's rude.  And I have to be nice.  I don't know I have to be nice.  I tried to be nice, and she got snippy with me.  You'd be made if I got snippy to you and all you did, was ask me something nice."

She was not in a listening mood at first.  But as her mom continued to talk, she peeked her head out.

"I'm still the big sister?" Jessica asked.  "For real?" 

She crawled out of the closet.

"Okay.  But to me, she's a baby until she stops being a tattletale and stops trying to hurt my feelings just because I am trying to act like her big sister should to her."

She climbed out.

"And... as the big sister, I will try to make up with her later, when she calms down."

Jessica looked up at her mom.

"And yeah, I wanted to know if you really did care, or actually, if daddy cared, to check on me, so I put the blocks on the chair on purpose to make the sound as loud as possible.  I was afraid he was too into Lani to notice me.  He didn't even get me out of the car, so you did."

Jessica looked down.

"You don't?" Tom hugged her playfully closer.  "Well, would you minded if I tickled you?" he asked playfully, though he didn't.  He didn't want to scare her, and if he started tickling her suddenly, she might get a little worried.  He didn't know why he thought so, other than that he was still practically a stranger to her.

"Of course, your bedroom," Tom smiled at her.  "What, you didn't think we'd have a bed for you?  I wouldn't have invited you to come with us, if we didn't have a decent place for you to sleep.  Jessica can be a little sensitive about her space, so of course we can't put you in her room, sweetheart.  And you need a room just as anyone else would."

He hugged her and put her down to take her hand and lead her up the stairs.

Charlotte sighed.

“You are still the big sister.” She agreed. “But she’s not a baby. She’s seven not three. She did not tattle on you. You called her a brat to me. I heard you say it before she said anything.” She repeated, not wanting Jessica to keep those ideas. “Do you understand?”

She sighed. “I get you out of the car all the time. I just got our first because I wanted to get you. Daddy doesn’t like Lani more than you, we’re just trying to get her settled. The sooner she gets comfortable the sooner things get more normal.”

”If you want attention you need to tell us. You’re ten years old. You’re too big to be acting out just to get attention. You know how to talk to us. Okay?” She explained in a slightly stern tone. “Whenever possible we will give you attention, but you have to ask and not pretend to get hurt.”

Lani smiled a little when Tom hugged her. Her face fell when he mentioned tickling her though. She didn’t like that idea, but didn’t say anything. She was relieved when he didn’t follow through.

“The other foster homes had me share with other kids.” She explained logically. “I didn’t know I got my own room like at home.”

She held Tom’s hand and walked up the stairs, looking up at him when they reached the top, unsure where to go.