LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Tom and Charlotte's Choice

Ishigreensa

Jessica had gotten up that morning, and had put on one of her favorite dresses, a mostly white one that had some purple that went down the arms and at the hem of the dress.  They were going somewhere very special, and now, they were pulling into a lot, not that far, really from home, but far enough that she was in the car long enough to start feeling bored.

Jessica looked to the front where her parents, Tom and Charlotte were talking about why they were there, at around 11:30 in the morning.  She hoped they were getting lunch after this.

The man in his late 30s, with a head full of brown hair that didn't really comb nicely, but laid flat when he didn't take a comb to it, looked over at his wife with a white toothy smile and flashy green eyes.  He had not thought this day would come.  They had been wanting to add to their family for a couple of years now, but it wasn't easy to get vetted for taking in children.  Fostering was a huge committment, and so they were told that they should try fostering first, to see how that went.

Tom sighed.  "Do you have all the papers, honey?"

Jessica was a little excited herself.  Of course, now they were there, she remembered she would be getting a new baby sister!  In her mind, a baby sister was like a three or four year old, someone she could play with, but also baby.

"Mom!  Dad!" she whined from the back.  "When are we going in to get her?"

Tom frowned and looked at Charlotte.

"Jessie, honey, be patient."

Charlotte smiled. She had a short blonde bob with greyish blue eyes. She had wanted to be a mother ever since she was a small child. She was thrilled when she got pregnant with Jessica 10 years ago, and always wanted to give her a sibling. She found it difficult to get pregnant again after Jessica though so they turned to adoption and then foster care.

”I have everything right here.” She confirmed, patting her tote bag with a smile.

“Jessica, I know you’re excited but we need you to be on your best behavior when we go inside. Daddy and I will probably need to talk to the social worker and your new sister so please be good.” She reminded her daughter gently. She was never very good at being strict unless she absolutely had to, but she wanted the meeting of their new foster daughter to go smoothly.

Inside the large building in front of the family was the county’s social services office. It was small and mostly just a few offices, no real place to keep children long term. Leilani sat on a chair in the view of her caseworker, Maria, not being allowed to leave without permission. She was given a piece of paper and a pencil, though she didn’t enjoy having to keep still for so long. 

The small girl was seven years old, set to turn eight in exactly one week. Her dark brown nearly black hair was pulled back into a crude ponytail, clearly still tangled and not well taken care of. She had on some dingy denim overalls and a blue Tshirt, both of which looked old and not quite the right size for her, despite being small for her age and looking more like a six year old. Her medium brown skin was pale and dirty. 

Occasionally glancing up at Maria, Leilani kept her head down and scribbled on the paper in front of her, doing her best to sit still, though she wasn’t very successful and was quite squirmy. She’d been removed from her mother’s care a week ago now and had been bounced around a few foster homes but nobody wanted to keep her once they learned of her file. Supposedly there was another family coming to get her today, but Leilani knew inside that it wouldn’t be different. She worried what these new people would be like. She missed her mother greatly and still didn’t quite understand why she couldn’t go home, having only been told that her mother couldn’t care for her properly. Everyone always phrased it as if it was Leilani’s fault and bad behavior that caused her to get taken away. Her mother did warn her before that how she behaved could get her taken, though she never meant to misbehave. 

She glanced at the digital clock on Maria’s desk, she said the family would be here around 11:30 or so, and that meant they’d be there any minute now. 

Jessica frowned and nodded her blond hair that was just a little wavy when they told her to be on her best behavior.  She didn't correct her mommy because that would be rude, but secretly, she said, in her mind though it came out in less than audible whispers.  "I am always on my best behavior."  Her cool blue eyes looked up at the front as the adults got ready to open the door.

However, Tom turned back to her.

"That means, princess, when mommy and daddy are talking, you be patient and hold your tongue.  When we are getting information from the social worker, you don't interrupt, and you mind your manners around the new child.  She doesn't know how we are yet."

Jessica's lip pouted as her daddy told her what being on her best behavior meant.  She thought that the little girl was supposed to be her little sister, which meant, she should be able to go and talk to her if she wanted.  Still she held her head high and waited for the door to be open.  She couldn't wait to be the big sister.

When Tom got out, and stood his impressive five foot ten over the short about four foot three Jessica with blue eyes, she reached with a needy hand wanting to hold hands.  Of course, for the most part, her parents made her hold their hands when they went into large places, so it wasn't something that she just did on her own, but then, it was.  She loved knowing that her parents always wanted to hold her hand even if she had to pretend to hate it to her friends so that she wouldn't seem weird.  

Her dress came down just above her knees, and her socks, because it was still warm out, just came to her ankles.  She had Mary Jane snap shoes on her feet.  She brushed herself off as they opened the door to go in.

Tom was wearing a nice striped button down and some brown slacks, but had skipped the tie.  His brown dress shoes were buffed to shine, and he smiled down at Jessica who had just finished brushing her dress down to look as eloquently as a girl going into the fifth grade could be.

Jessica's blue eyes lingered here and there at the place, but it didn't seem full of children like she had imagined.  In fact, she didn't see one, which made her frown.  She didn't see one, that is, until they went into Maria's office.

Charlotte climbed out of the car with her bag on her shoulder and smiled. She had worn some navy fitted dress pants and a pale pink blouse with red embroidered flowers on the shoulders.

She held Jessica’s hand while they walked into the office. She was both nervous and extremely excited.

When they stepped into Maria’s office after turning down a few corners, she smiled and shook the woman’s hand.

”Hi, I’m Charlotte, this is my husband Tom, and our daughter Jessica.” She introduced her family, still smiling ear to ear.

Maria smiled and shook the hands of the adults. “It’s nice to meet you, we spoke on the phone. My name is Maria.” She said with a nod.

She gestured to the small girl across from her desk. “That’s Leilani. And just to be absolutely sure, you’ve looked over her file and you definitely want to take her in?” She asked hopefully. “In all honesty, you’re her last hope before she goes to a group home.”

Leilani looked up at the seemingly perfect family that walked in. They all seemed so well dressed and nice. In her mind they looked exactly like the kind of family you’d see on TV. She hung her head when she heard Maria start to talk about her and though she tried not to, she couldn’t help but fidget a bit in her seat.

What if they don’t want me? What if I do something bad? What if one doesn’t like me? Is the girl nice? Her mind was raving with a million questions and fears as she stared silently at her lap.

Charlotte smiled and nodded. “Yes, we definitely want her.” She confirmed quickly. “But she’s awfully tiny. I thought she was eight? Did I misread?” She started to pull Leilani’s file out of her bag before Maria stopped her.

Maria shook her head. “She’ll be eight in one week. She’s small for her age, possible due to malnutrition.” She pointed to the floor next to her and spoke to the small girl. “Leilani come here.” She said in a stern voice.

Leilani was shaken from her trance and she quickly stood up and hurried to stand next to Maria. She looked down at her feet as the adults talked about her. She was trying so hard to stay still. On a good day that was a difficult task for the girl, let alone when she was scared and anxious, plus her sneakers were at least two sizes too small and were hurting her feet. 

Jessica frowned when the lady sounded so stern.  To her, it was almost mean.  Why wouldn't you be nice about calling a younger child over like her fourth grade teacher last year, or even go take her by the hand.  If it were Jessica, left here, in an office with nothing to do, and then someone barking at her, she would have screamed.  As it was, she gripped her mommy and daddy's hands tighter at this strange interaction.

"Malnutrition?" Tom blinked his eyes.  "She's not like, from Africa or something, is she?"  He had never heard of things like that in America.  The media would have you think poverty was nearly eradicated in America.  "Does she need any special treatment or to see a doctor?"

Jessica didn't understand exactly what they meant.  The little girl was big for a four year old!  She thought she was getting a baby sister, after all.   Were the adults just crazy?"

"What do you mean her last hope?" Tom asked frowning.  "She's not dangerous or anything like that, is she?"  He certainly didn't see how a kid so small could be dangerous at all.

Jessica let go her parents' hands and walked a little closer.  She wasn't impressed by how casual the girl was dressed, almost dirty, in her opinion.  She looked up and saw the adults still talking though, so she tried to keep her questions to herself, but it was hard for her to do that when she was interested in something.  She whispered more to herself than anyone.  "What is Malnutrition?  What do they mean small?  She's huge for a four year old!  Wait, did mommy say eight?  That can't be right.  She was supposed to be her baby sister!  There must be a mistake!"

Jessica frowned and her lower lip went into a pout.

“No no no.” Maria shook her head. “She’ll be fine with a proper diet and access to food. She was removed from her mother’s care due to neglect. Her mother has been incapable of properly caring for her for an unknown period of time. She also didn’t have much money so Leilani didn’t always have enough to eat.”

She took a deep breath when Tom asked if she was dangerous. “Well, she was removed from her mother’s care about a week ago now. She’s been bounced around between homes and nobody has wanted to keep her. She has some, well, behavioral issues.” She said, starting to trail off. “I haven’t witnessed anything personally but according to her records from school and from the other foster homes, she has a history of stealing, and has gotten in trouble for bullying other kids at school.”

Charlotte shook her head. “We discussed this Tom.” She insisted before turning back to  Maria, smiling. “That’s all okay. We still want her. And we’re happy to keep communication open between her and her mother when the time comes.” She was too focused on the conversation at hand to notice that Jessica had let go.

Leilani took a nervous step backwards from the bigger girl in front of her. She didn’t know why she was so close and she was already scared and on edge. She could tell Jessica was mumbling to herself but couldn’t understand anything specifically.

"She's a thief?" Tom muttered under his breath a little less sure of this.  "Well, I guess we said we'd take her."  

Tom was wondering if it was a mistake though.  But Charlotte had told him it was discussed, though he didn't remember agreeing to take in a thief.  He just shook his head and sighed.  Of course, Charlotte would just take in anyone.   That's how she was, or at least that was what he was thinking.

Jessica frowned at the girl with her pouty lip for a moment, and she finally asked.  "How old are you?"

She wanted some answers for herself.

Tom reached out and put a hand on her shoulder to try to keep Jessica from making a scene.

Charlotte continued talking with Maria for a little longer, confirming and asking questions about Leilani, her school, and her mother. She was too focused to notice Jessica at the moment.

Leilani swallowed hard. The bigger girl was intimidating, but she had to prove she was brave. “None of your business!” She said as confidently as she could muster. She didn’t appreciate how Jessica was hovering over her and demanding answers. She had to show that she wasn’t going to tolerate that. 

Jessica had to prove that she was the elder sister here, and show little sister that when she wanted to know something, that she was in charge, but then a hand on her shoulder made her look up at her daddy.  She frowned.  Glaring at the younger girl, she fought a retort to her rude if brave response.  But with her daddy's hand on her shoulder, she knew better than to say something right now. If Leilani, or whoever wanted her to prove she was the big  sister, then she would have to put her in her place, later.

Jessica clenched her fists at her sides, not liking that this twerp was questioning her position. No one had ever done that, no one that wanted to be in her good graces, that is.  She didn't notice that her birthday was late in the year, and might have been on the small side, in her class in fourth grade, and she might have been a little behind in reading with her peers, not that she didn't understand what was read nor that she couldn't really read if she put her mind to it, but regardless, she never let anyone bully her for that, and this twerp had to understand, that her home was her home before it was the new comer's home.  The new comer was the younger sister, and she was the baby, no matter what.  She would learn her place.

Tom just let Charlotte talk because he had his concerns, but apparently his wife didn't seem to care that he was now really second guessing this.  She had put him in his place, telling him they had already talked about it, but he had not known she was a thief!

Charlotte knelt down in front of Leilani once she finished talking with Maria. “Hi there Leilani, I’m Charlotte, this is my husband Tom, and this is our daughter Jessica. Jessica is ten, so she’s a bit older than you.” Her voice was sweet and kind, happy to finally have another child in the house.

Leilani stepped backward from Charlotte just a tad. She was hesitant of this new woman. What was going to stop her from getting rid of her like all the other foster homes?

She fidgeted with her dingy and tattered backpack behind her back, looking between the three new family members. She was scared but she couldn’t let it show. She noticed Jessica’s fists and was preparing for if she got violent.

Charlotte looked up at Tom and nudged him to introduce himself to the child. She grabbed Jessica’s hand and smiled. “We’re ready to go then aren’t we?”

Jessica frowned when her mom told this new kid that she was ten but she still didn't know how old she was.  She was sure that when she heard eight, it was a mistake or she misheard.  The girl was supposed to be her baby sister, and she was way too small to be eight.  She was supposed to be no older than five, but in Jessica's mind, she had set her thoughts on a three or four year old sister, so was set on the idea that the younger girl had to be four!  She was big for a four year old though, so she didn't really like that.

Tom realized they were taking her home one way or another, so he bent down and smiled at the little girl.  He wasn't that keen on taking in a known thief, but he saw how little she was, how little she seemed to weight for an eight year old, and how scared she looked.  She had a dingy and tattered backpack on, and she looked really scared.  Maybe they exaggerated her crimes, or maybe the families that tried to take her in just didn't want to take her in for other reasons that didn't get mentioned.  She looked sickly, to Tom, and he wondered if she was sick, and for some reason this Maria didn't tell them about that because it was the real reason they were her last chance?

"Hey, honey," he wasn't really warming up to her, but he realized it would be emotionally abusive to take out his distrust and his unhappiness that she seemed like such a troubled kid directly on her.  If she was a thief or she had other health issues, it wasn't her fault.  It was the fault of the people that raised her to be like that.  "We'd like to take you home with us, give you a nice bed, and comfortable place to live for a while," he told her.  "Jessica has been wanting a little sister for quite some time, and Charlotte would love to help you do up your hair all the time and help you to have a more normalized childhood."

He stayed squatted as close as he could get to her without her backing up.  He looked at her for several minutes, wanting her to come to them on her own terms.

Jessica looked up at her mom, when her mom took her hand, and she asked her.  "I thought I was getting a baby sister," she started.  "Is she four years old or not, mommy?  She doesn't look little to me."  There was a slight pout on her face.  "And she isn't very nice.  I just ask her her age, and then she gets all snippy at my and says it isn't my business, but it kind of is, if I'm her older sister!"

She folded her arms in a pout.

Leilani looked up at Tom nervously. She hoped deep down this family would be different than her other foster homes, but she kind of doubted it. She had hoped that for the previous seven homes, but they all didn’t want her.

She wasn’t thrilled with him calling her Jessica’s sister, because she wasn’t. She didn’t want to say anything though, being too worried about being sent back. She was fine standing up to Jessica, but adults were a whole different territory.

She nodded and obediently stepped forward to Tom. She put her hand out to shake his hand, mimicking what she’d seen adults do whenever they met, and trying to be well behaved and mature like her mother said. “I’m Lani.” She said nervously. She fidgeted in place and rubbed the strap on her backpack repeatedly, trying to calm herself down.

The small girl was a pitiful sight. Her hair was clearly not brushed despite being forced into a ponytail, her shoes were falling apart, her clothes looked dingy and worn, and if close enough, Lani smelled a bit.

Charlotte turned to Jessica and gently shushed her. “She’s almost eight honey.” She answered before starting to explain. “We said you’d be getting a sister, and we hoped for someone no older than five. But Leilani needs a place to live until her mom gets better. Be nice to her, she’s probably scared and confused.”

Tom smiled when she held out her hand.  He thought she was kind of cute when she did that.  She obviously had seen this behavior and was trying to copy it, but he didn't think it was natural for her.

"Would you mind coming over here, sweetheart?" he asked her even though they now touched hands.  He wanted to take it slow so as not to scare her, but he was a bit worried about her shoes that looked as though they were falling apart.  She smelled a little bit, but his first thought was just that she had not had a bath in a few days.  If people were getting rid of her nearly as soon as they got her, then maybe they had decided not to have her long before they even decided she was dirty.  He wasn't sure about keeping her, to be honest, but to leave her like this?  That seemed inhumane.  She needed her hair washed, she needed fresh clothes on, and she probably needed something to eat.

He glanced at Charlotte.

"Well, I think we should get the girls some lunch," he tried to show Charlotte that he still wasn't sold on her, but realized that not only Jessica would be hungry for lunch, but that he did think that the little one should at least eat something at the very least before they decided if she was going to be kept or not.

Jessica looked up at her mommy, and frowned.  "I didn't sign up for this though.  I said I wanted a baby sister, not a brat that gets mad just because I asked her age."  Jessica frowned.  "I'll be nice, but it doesn't mean I like her," she told mommy as an offered compromise.

Lani nodded and obediently followed Tom. She didn’t say much but did whatever he told her to. He was being so nice to her and it made her kind of happy. She wasn’t used to someone wanting to take care of her. She of course heard him say he wasn’t completely on board, but his actions gave her hope.

She tried to tune out Jessica calling her a brat, but she just couldn’t. “Don’t call me that!” She protested with a scowl. She didn’t like this bigger girl one bit. She was nosy and now calling her names!

Charlotte smiled. “Are we thinking McDonald’s or somewhere a little nicer?” She asked her husband.

She frowned and shook her head when she heard her daughter. “Jessica! That’s not kind. You know better than to call people names.” She scolded. 

Jessica folded her arms.  "I'm not calling her names.  Saying brat doesn't mean anything other than someone did something that was mean to you!"

Jessica stomped her foot in protest.  "Why are you on her side?  I'm your own daughter!" her face started to get red with anger.  "Leave me alone!"

She started to pull at her mom's hand to get away and walk out to the car ahead of them not wanting to be around this at all.  She was the bad guy, and all she did, was ask the age of a new sister that wasn't even a baby sister, and even someone she signed up for.  It wasn't her fault everyone changed the rules on her, and then the girl just snips at her, when she tried to start a conversation.  It was all the brat's turn, and she was not backing down, but rather doubling down in her mind that the girl was a brat, now she got her mom to yell at her, too.  She was going to be trouble!

Tom sighed.  He wanted to say that they probably needed a nice meal, but seeing how Jessica was behaving at the moment, he wasn't even sure they could eat in McDonalds, let alone a nicer place without some drama.

"I think maybe we just get take out for now?" he suggested.

“You still need to be nice.” Charlotte said. “Take a deep breath and try to calm down.” She walked Jessica back out to the car and tried to help her calm down. “I know it’s hard, but you have to be the big sister. She’s not used to any of us or our rules.”

Maria handed a car seat off to Tom for the small girl and waved as they walked out. She hoped this family would work, but had doubts already.

Lani looked down at her feet when Jessica got scolded. She felt bad about that and wondered how much trouble the older girl would be in later. She didn’t move an inch until Tom directed her towards the car. 

Jessica frowned up at her mom.  "I am still trying to be nice.  But I didn't call her names.  I just said she was being a brat because she is snippy and now telling you I am calling her names when she started it, and she's not even four like I was promised!  I was promised a baby sister!  She's not even a baby!  I can understand a baby not knowing better, but she is being mean, and she gets away with it, and I get in trouble just because I said she was being mean!"

She started to cry.

Tom took the seat, and looked back at Maria at the design.  The girl was a bit small, but does she really need a carseat like this?  That can't be normal!  He shook his head and taking Lani's hand again, started to walk her out.  He saw Jessica crying next to the car, so he stopped and paused to talk to Lana while Charlotte got Jessica under control.

"Honey, do you like chicken, cheese burgers, or anything else?" he asked her.  "How about ice cream?"

He didn't think it was good for Lani to see Jessica acting up so soon to getting Lani.

Charlotte sighed. “We never promised you a baby sister. We tried to get someone younger but Leilani needed a place to stay.” She corrected gently.

“Take a deep breath for me please.” She requested gently. “It’s not nice to call someone a brat. She might not know any better. Some people don’t teach their children manners the same way.” She started taking deep breaths to model to Jessica in hopes she’d calm down.

Lani was surprised when they stopped but didn’t question it. She figured she was going to get in trouble for upsetting the other girl. That happened at a different foster home and they sent her back.

She looked up at Tom and nodded. “I’ll eat anything.” She said truthfully. She was so used to not having consistent and reliable access to food that even foods she hated she’d still eat. She’d rather eat disgusting food than not eat anything at all. She also knew that if she didn’t make a fuss about food it made grown ups happier. 

Jessica mimicked her mom until she calmed down, and looking down, she frowned.  "It's still not fair if she can be mean to me, and I have to put up with it," finally said a little calmer.  "I'll try not to call her a brat no more, but she shouldn't be able to be mean to me for now reason, either."

She sighed.

"I thought I was getting a baby sister though.  that's not fair either.  I was looking forward to showing off a baby sister, but right now, I don't even think that girl likes me."

Tom reached out and rubbed her back.

"It's okay, sweetheart.  I think Jessica just got a little surprised.  Don't worry.  I don't think she's trying to be mean.  I know it's a little scary because she's a bit bigger than you, and you don't even know what is going to happen here."

He frowned when she said she'd eat anything.

"I'm glad that you are not that picky, sweetheart, but what I'm trying to do, is find out what you like.  We are going to McDonalds, just the drive up, probably, and we'd like to get you something that you'd be happier eating.  So cheeseburger?  hamburger, or chicken?" he asked.  "And we'll get you some ice cream too, if you want."

When it looked like Jessica was calmed down a little bit, he took Leilani's hand and walked her back to the car and started to work on her car seat.

“We will work on it. I promise.” Charlotte assured Jessica. “I’m sure it’ll get better after she’s been here for a while.” She said gently.

She shook her head. “Showing her off isn’t why she’s here.” She explained with a sigh. “Her mom is having trouble taking care of her so she needs a safe place to stay.” She hoped that her words would get her daughter to be a little empathetic.

Lani was surprised by Tom’s comfort and kindness. She didn’t know how he knew she was scared and anxious about Jessica, but he clearly did. In addition to noticing, he also tried to comfort and make her feel better. She wasn’t used to that.

”Oh.” She said quietly, thinking she said the wrong thing. She panicked internally for a moment when faced with a choice. She didn’t want to say something wrong and get in trouble. “Um, chicken please.” She said after a moment. She made sure to be as polite as she could when responding to him.

Her car seat went in without issue. It was one that used the normal belt to buckle the child in. She got into the car independently, but was struggling to buckle herself in, fighting with the seatbelt. 

Tom smiled and rubbed her back for a moment and then took her hand to bring her to the car when he started to put her seat in.  He figured she was scared because she at a new house with different rules, probably, than she grew up in, and it seemed, she had been to many homes that didn't want her.

He saw her struggle with the seatbelt, so he just did that up for her.

"Now, don't be scared if you need something to let us know, okay?  We will help you as soon as we can if we are on the road and need something."

He reached over and patted Jessica on the lap.

"Honey, this is Lani.  That's what her file says she likes to be called.  Try to be a big girl and let us know if she looks like she needs help and forgets to ask us, okay?"

Jessica nodded.  "Okay."

Tom ducked out of putting Lani in the car, and walked around to the driver's side.

"I don't know what happened, but I think we better just go through the drive up and eat in the car," he told Charlotte.  "We don't need a public scene on top of any difficulty the children are having at the moment."

He hoped Charlotte agreed with him.

Jessica sat back in her seat, glancing over at Lani from time to time, wondering what to say or if anything.  She wasn't happy that Lani wasn't four years old.  She wasn't happy that she got her scolded by her mom, and she wasn't happy that she was acting like she wasn't important.  She had her daddy and mommy first, and Lani wasn't going to steal them from her.

Lani nodded at Tom when he told her to tell them if she needed anything. She didn’t plan on doing that, but she wasn’t about to say that to him. She didn’t need help. She was used to doing everything on her own.

Charlotte had climbed into the passenger seat and sighed. She was starting worry about the girls. She tried to push the negative thoughts out of her mind though. “That sounds like a good idea. The sooner we get back home the better.”

Lani occasionally glanced over at Jessica in the car but she didn’t say anything. Her mind was racing and she was worried. She held her beat up backpack on her lap and stared out the window for most of the drive. At least she’d be getting to eat something. The small girl hadn’t been given breakfast so she was starving. 

• Like 1

Tom sighed as the car seemed to be quiet for the moment.  The girls weren't fighting, and Charlotte seemed to be on the same page, so he drove to McDonalds, and started to figure out what to get everyone.  He of course, got the girls a happy meal, and remembered that Lani wanted chicken, so got her chicken nuggets.  Jessica got a cheese burger meal.  He swapped their sodas for vanilla shakes so that he wouldn't have to force Lani to talk by just getting them both the same, and he also got them an apple pie, but held that back until they finished their regular food.

Once he had the girls happily fed, he turned to Charlotte and talked in a lower voice so as not to offend Lani or make her feel uneasy.

"The little one needs a bath.  Her hair is wild, she smells, and her clothes, well, you can see.  I'm not sure it is good for me to do it, and I'm not sure if she has been taught, so if you wouldn't mind?" he asked her.  "You don't need to do it right away, of course, just thinking and talking is all."

• Like 1

Lani happily started eating her food as soon as it seemed like she was allowed. She paused after eating most of her chicken and when it seemed like nobody was looking, she put a few of them into a pocket in her overalls. She was scared she wouldn’t get anything to eat later so she wanted to have something just in case. She scarfed down her fries and her shake as well. She grimaced at the texture of her apple pie, she didn’t like the taste either, but she wasn’t going to complain and pass up the opportunity to eat something. After all, she had no idea the next time she’d have food available.

Charlotte nodded with a frown. “I noticed that too.” She said in the same low tone as Tom. “I’ll give her a day or two to hopefully get used to us before I try. Obviously I’d prefer sooner rather than later, but I don’t want to scare the poor thing.”

"I guess you're right," Tom agreed.  "We don't want to scare her.  However, we could send Jessica to take a bath tonight and see if that at least gets her curious to try herself, maybe?"  He just really didn't want her going around dirty for too long.

"She didn't have any suitcases or bags, just the one backpack.  I'm afraid she might not have any real clothes to wear."

Jessica ate her cheeseburger and frowned at Alice because she seemed to have five nuggets at one moment, and then she only had two the next.  She wondered how the new kid could have gotten rid of three of them so fast.  Yeah, Jessica did eat a little slow sometimes.  Her friends said she did, but she knew she wasn't that slow.   

Minding her own business though, Jessica decided to just look out at the cars and started counting the number of pink or purple marked cars she could find.  It was a secret game, and sometimes, daddy knew she was doing it, and he was doing it, and they would see who won, and sometimes, she was doing it, and he wasn't, so she won by default.  She had never found out if he counted when she didn't though.  

Jessica leaned up after she finished her apple pie.

"Mommy, I have gymnastics tomorrow," she reminded her.  "Are you going tomorrow with me, or is daddy taking me?"

She was used to being taken by one of her parents, though she thought she was old enough to walk it, her parents didn't want her walking that far alone.  It was probably a twenty to thirty minute walk, and honestly, some of her friends did walk, but Jessica knew better than to throw a fit.  Daddy and mommy had their reasons for not letting her, and though she didn't understand their reasons, she knew they cared about her.

"I need my gymnastics leotard cleaned, too," she said.  Of course, she was only doing all this to take their attention.  The new kid didn't want to be nice to her, so she could play mean back, and just ignore her unless she needed help, and right now, it didn't look like she did.