LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Discussion concerning "on the spectrum"

@oznl

I figured since I wanted to reply further that I needed to move this to it's own thread, and since this isn't specifically concerning incontinence, I've started it here....

13 hours ago, oznl said:

It would probably be a thread hijack but to keep it short, I’ve never been formally diagnosed as “on the spectrum” but my kids have (were not diagnosed as children, I thought they were normal!) and my beloved and them have been telling me for years that it comes from me.  I *did* do an online test or two (I know, they are rubbish but I was as honest as I could be) and the signal was very strong.

I don’t mind.  I’ve known I think differently from most people from a very young age and I really think it’s been a benefit to me.  I’m not sure about how to get a formal diagnosis or even why I should. 

I see you have concerns about the available "online" test also....  I view them more along the lines of personality tests....  I don't think they are completely rubbish, but I do think all of them lack "precession" in that you are forced to choose between two (or more) answers.

As to getting a formal diagnosis, I have no plans to at this time as (a) I'm close enough to retirement that it doesn't matter and (b) what's the point at this stage.....  The only reason I could see getting a formal diagnosis would be if there was a study to see if there are some techniques that could be used with the more sever cases (i.e. what I would have previously called "on the spectrum" prior to the redefinition in the last decade or two) to help get folks better integrated / able to work with "normal" society.  But then you become a lab rat.  I felt like I had that opportunity years ago on another medical issue and didn't pursue it....  (Different subject, would have cost me time and money, but for what use for me when I already had my answer and didn't really have a solution that took care of the issue.)

I will agree that after reading through more information about being "on the spectrum", it unifies more things about me that I would have previously just considered my individual quirks.

And yes, I've know since a young age that I was different from the "normal" or "average" -- but still considered within the range of "expected" society....

And for completeness of the thread, I should probably add the following quote out of the other thread, which kicked this off...

On 7/6/2023 at 6:00 AM, oznl said:

I guess I'm a data-driven kind of guy although many others would say "on the spectrum" 🤣

16 hours ago, zzyzx said:

@oznl

Maybe I should have started a new thread for this.....

Have you taken any of the online tests available to validate being "on the spectrum"?

A few months ago I would have denied if asked if I was "on the spectrum".  However, a blood relative (next generation) recently received as an adult a diagnosis of being (high functioning) on the spectrum, and there is some evidence of this characteristic having a genetic component....  With that I went and dug out some of the available "online" tests....

I will admit that every online test I took recommended "further evaluation"....  <grin>  And the one test that has a max score of 240 claims I scored high enough that I was NOT neurotypical.  I keep thinking the "scientists" who make the statistical claims need more engineers to take the test to offset current "expected" / "base" numbers.  A counselor I've seen instead comments that engineers are more likely to be on the spectrum (even though they are fully functional, living "normal" lives).  Both the counselor and I drop the "D" from "ASD"....

Those that define Autism spectrum have definitely redefined what being on the spectrum is in the last decade or two -- making it cover a broader range of neurodivergent people.

Why is this in the Lifestyle/Diaper Lovers section?

3 hours ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

Why is this in the Lifestyle/Diaper Lovers section?

It might be better placed in the "rest of your life" sub-forum if a mod cares to move it?