LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

CATHETER USE

HAVE TRYED A 14 FR AND A 16 FRENCH AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW A COUPLE OF THINGS.

1. WITCH SIZE WORKS BEST FOR YOU'S?

2. DO ERECTIONS ACCURE WHEN INSERTING THE CATHETER?

3. WHAT LUBE DO YOU USE?

4. DOES HEAD GET SENSITIVE/ SORE WHEN USING A CATHETER?

5. HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE CATHETERS?

6. WHEN HAVING A CATHETER IN IS IT DRAINING INTO A LEG BAG, BED SIDE BAG, OR A DIAPER?

7. IF DRAINING INTO A DIAPER WHAT DIAPER DO YOU WEAR AND DOES IT LAST LONGER?

8. IF WEARING A LEG BAG HOW OFTEN DO YOU DRAIN IT?

NEW TO USING CATHETERS AND JUST LOOKING TO SEE WHAT EVERYONE IS DOING AND WHAT WORKS.

Normal adult catheter is 16-18 FR the 12-14 FR are pediatric catheters . I myself use a 18 FR Coloplast flex Coude . Anytime I am being changed as soon as my diaper is open my aide inserts a 18 FR catheter and takes control manually draining my bladder it stays in until personal care is done or I am rediapered , I drain into a 2000 ML overnight drain bag .that hangs under my bed or wheelchair.

my current catheter is hydrophilic and requires no additional lube from package to placement in my urethra . It has a dry grippable retractable sheat so my aide never contacts or contaminates the actual catheter as it’s being inserted and manipulated the sheat retracts ,when it’s being removed the sheath re extends itself .

I rarely get erections especially from routine care . Unless your inserting a indwelling catheter you shouldn’t have much soreness , if inserting a foley you want to liberally coat the urethral meatus / tip of your penis frequently with A& D or Vaseline to keep the irritation down .

I get cathetered 5 X’s a day and  a new catheter is used each time . You can drain into a diaper for short periods but for longer term and avoiding UTIs your better of draining into a closed sterile bag . I can free drain all day into an overnight bag with room to spare , if you are using a smaller leg or body bag your going to need to empty it into the toilet several times a day .

My answer to your questions:

1. I prefer 14FR

2. No

3. A steralized lube from a small sachet.

4. After a day or so this may happen. A little vaseline can be worked in.

5. As I understand, there basically are 2 types of Foley catheters; short term and long term. Short term are limited to a week whilst long term may be OK for several months. Check with the manufacturer. The longest I have had one in is 6 weeks. 

6. Leg bag or belly bag during the day. Two litre night bag when in bed. I enclose mine in a hot water bottle cover which makes quite a nice bed companion. 

7. Draining into a diaper is not recommended due increased risk of UTI but some do it. 

8. Leg bags are usually 750ml. More than half full becomes a little uncomfortable. Drain when convenient. I always rinse bags several times after each use. They seem to last well.   

UTIs will happen. After my last occurrance several years ago, I asked my Doc for a script for the appropriate antibiotic to avoid waiting for an appointment next time. When that script was about to expire I collected the antibiotics which have a shelf life of several years..  

Best of luck.