LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Update and how to move forward?

Hi there,

I have been posting periodically but I wanted to get advice because things have changed. I began wearing pull-ups about six months ago to deal with “functional incontinence”. However, over the past two/three months, I have experienced “natural incontinence” for lack of better word. Apparently the small involuntary movements in my arms/legs have traveled to my excretory muscles. Originally I thought I was too young but other adults with CP began having these symptoms in their mid-20’s. All of my doctors have told me this is “normal”.

I have a couple questions. When you go swimming, how do you cope with inadvertently telling everyone you are somewhat incontinent? (I was recommended swim pull-ups). How do you cope with when you go to the bathroom and you get mad/upset that you realized your muscles spasmed? Finally, how did you accept the reality that you lost some continence sooner than you thought?

Thanks for any information  you can provide me!

First, relax about your IC. It is what it is, and that is all it is. Each of us has had to come to terms with IC and the time needed varies for each of us. In my case, IC happened when I was the father of several young children. They were barely out of diapers, and I was going back into them. I ranted a bit, and eventually came to terms. Now I'm far more relaxed about it.

Having said that, swim diapers are only used to deal with bowel incontinence. They are made to contain only that stuff, so if you are only worried about urinary incontinence, these will not fit the bill. If UI is your only concern, just go in the restroom before you get in the pool. Then don't worry about the occasional release. The therapy you get from being in the pool will help you. Unless you make a fuss about peeing in the pool, nobody will know. Your secret is safe with us. Verify this with your physical therapist, I bet s/he will concur.

• Like 1

@WetDadUnfortunatly, it is affecting both my bladder and bowels. I’m in a wheelchair so people will probably expect me to be wearing protection but don’t want to be too infantalized by other people. I love swimming and haven’t gone in the pool since COVID hit so I’m kind of psychologically at a loss. The one positive thing is that it is only spasms so I probably won’t smell but I’m still getting used to this.

Don't worry about the wheelchair being part of any infantilization thing. I spent a year in a wheelchair waiting for knee surgery, and nobody every made a connection between me being in a wheelchair and wearing diapers. People just don't connect the dots. If you have had your vaccine shots, go enjoy the pool and don't be worried about other people.