LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Not as Grown Up as You Think (private for Ishigreensa)

elfowl

I sigh as I complete another "Employee Compatibility" Survey on my laptop.  This one makes number 17, 18?  I've nearly lost count at this point.  I've filled out about 250 applications, sent off around 170 resumes, and taken at lest 50 different online surveys, each one a bigger load of crock than the last.  Only ten of them have resulted in an interview, and not a single one has resulted in a job.  It's been two months since I started looking, and things are getting desperate.  I've shut off the internet, and cable in my apartment, and leave the air conditioner off as much as I can.  The next thing I'll have to do without is the apartment itself.  I've even started being a little bit less than honest on my applications.  Thank God for public libraries.  Free access to wi-fi, air conditioning, and if you're really bored, you can even grab a book.

I look over at the clock and note that it's time for me to try to walk to the one interview I have been able to line up this week.  I close my laptop, and slide it into my courier bag, sliding my purse over my shoulder, I stand up, and smooth out my tight, black skirt, and walk out of the building, my heels *click-clack*ing on the laminate floors.  Thankfully it's less than a mile to the office building I'm supposed to meet the hiring manager in.  I quickly stop in the bathroom to touch up quickly.  despite the heat I haven't sweat through my blouse, I inspect my blonde hair, and see that it's still neatly in a tight bun.  I touch up my lipstick and foundation., then walk back out, and follow the instructions i had been given into the small meeting room I had been instructed to meet the interviewer in.  All I have to do is land a job, work for two or three months, and then I can afford to leave this wretched city behind me, and move back in with my parents until I figure out what I'm actually going to do with my life.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Kholler had tight black curly hair, deep brown eyes, and a smile that could charm and a frown that could make even the president of the United States squirm.  He was highly influential within his company though he was not exactly the top CEO or anything like that.

He pulled up to the office building about thirty minutes before his first interview was scheduled, and walked in with short loud click-clacks from his black dress shoes marching across the tiled floor.

"Good afternoon, Frank," he acknowledged the head desk keeper who checked on who entered the upper floors and who exited for security.

He set up in one of the small offices, making sure that the people he interviewed had hard wooden chairs so as to keep them alert, and he had then sit higher than himself, so that they might under estimate his demeanor.  He knew he made people nervous just in general, so hopefully sitting lower than his targets, they would not be quite as nervous.

He opened his laptop and opened the blank format with questions for him to tick off that he asked, and he waited.

The clock clicked  and the hand moved with effort to the next minute.  He sighed.  Interviews were the most boring, and to date, he had had fifteen interviews with people that he really didn't want for the job.  He hoped that his find for someone that knew data entry and how to use the office's programs would present themselves, and they would be smartly dressed, speak with respect, and actually look like they wanted the job.

After checking in with the security guard behind the desk, I make my way into the small meeting room, knocking on the open door, then cautiously stepping inside.  "Hello?"  I say to the stern looking, well-dressed man inside, sitting behind the desk.  "I'm Rebecca McCalister, here for a three o'clock interview for the data entry position."  I say extending my hand out to the man.  "Am I in the right place?"  I ask nervously.

I stay standing, waiting for the interviewer to indicate that I should sit.  I desperately hope that he can't feel how nervous I am.

Robert looked her over from head to toe for a moment.  She was dressed for the job at least.

"Take a seat," he nodded at the chair.  "Now, you have a hard copy of your resume with you, do you not?"

He reached his hand out expectantly.

"Why don't you tell me a little bit about your experiences first, so I can get a feel of the sort of communicator you are."

He looked on the computer screen he had open and looked to see that he was following the order he had set out to do things in.

I nod, giving a small "Thank you" when the man tells me to sit, retracting my hand and taking a seat, sitting up straight in the hard wooden chair.

"Of course"  I reply, pulling a folder out of my bag, then pulling out my doctored resume.  I had put an extra job under "experience" stating that I had had a data entry position at a company that had recently gone under, and that I had been hired only six months before they closed, so that if they called the number listed, it would make sense why they couldn't get anyone. 

I hand the resume over, and nod.  "Of Course, I've worked in the field for about six months, but I was laid off when the company went under.  The task was fairly simple, I would be given a physical copy of a report, and I would enter the data into an excel spreadsheet, then send it off to my boss to be processed."

Robert nodded and took the resume.

He eyed the young woman up and down again, thinking about what she said.

"Six months....  That's not exactly much experience.  Where did you go to school again?"

He looked down at the resume.

"Where else did you learn the use of Microsoft Office programs?"

He sighed.

"Well, do you have any experience with data entry concerning various forms and various projects all going at the same time?"

He smiled.

"As you are the most qualified I've interviewed thus far, I think we will take you on trial status.  Can you be back here at this office tomorrow morning for duty?"

I panic a little when the interviewer mentions that six months isn't much experience.

"Glenvale Highschool Sir."  I respond.  

"I've been using Microsoft Office since I was introduced to it in the third grade."

"Yes sir.  I've had to deal with multiple accounts all submitting data, that then had to be submitted to different project heads"  I lie. 

That kind of skill should be easy enough to pick up, I try to convince myself.

I blink as I'm told that I have the job on trial status.  I simply stare at the interviewer for a moment, then jump and blurt out.  "Yes!  Yes of course!  I'll definitely be able to do that Sir."

Robert frowned when she said High School, and he looked down at her resume to see that she had not written anything past high school on it.  That concerned him a bit, but he had already told her she had the job on trial.  If she indeed measure up and do the job, then her formal schooling didn't matter.

"Then, I guess I'll see you tomorrow," he nodded at her.

Robert stood up and shook her head.

"Be ready to do about 100 different forms tomorrow.  We are way behind on data entry because we have not had someone qualified to do it in over a month."

He then nodded her out the door.

I feel a bit put off when the man frowns at me only having a high school degree,  I'm only 19 and looking for a job.  I've only be out of the public school system for a year.

I'm still ecstatic that I got the job, and make sure to shake the interviewer's hand firmly.  "Yes Sir!  I'll definitely be ready for that!"  There's no way that can be too complicated.  The forms are probably mostly similar, and unique to the company.  They'd need to teach them to a new hire no matter how much prior experience they had.  It shouldn't be a problem, I told mysel as I walked out.

I was on cloud 9 for the rest of the day, going to sleep and waking up early, and happily walking to the office, making sure to arrive half an hour early just in case.

(I don't think we named this character of yours yet.  She gave him her resume, but I don't see where her name has come up.)

The next morning, Robert had ten forms of each of ten types ready to go to show her what he expected.  He had those on a desk in a cubical that had been reserved for her.  He also planned to do a bit of an orientation to show her around.

Just before she came in to start the day, he had set up a pin number so she could access the building, the copy machine, and other things.  Her pin number would also allow her access to the bathroom, but he would explain that when he saw her.

Now, he waited in a blue and white stiped tie tucked into a dark blue pinstriped suit coat and slacks, and wearing black loafers.

(I don't believe we did either.  Let's go with Lauren Carey)

I walk in wearing a white, short-sleeved blouse, and black pencil skirt, with some three inch pumps, and hose, and look around for the man who interviewed me.  When I find him I smile, and nod my head in a small bow.  "Here I am sir.  How will we start?"

"Why don't we start with a tour of the building?" he said raising his head from his work.  "You need to know what the rules are, when breaks are, and where the bathrooms and break room is for lunch."

He stood up and started to walk her out into the hall.

"The nearest ladies room is two floors down from here.  Mostly men use these offices up here, so they didn't see a need for a ladies room up here."

He walked her down to the end of the hall, and showed her the lunch room first since it was on the same floor.

"You can buy whatever you want in here for lunch, and they have a coffee pot and tea pot that is always filled and they are free.  You can get some coffee or tea in the morning before you start work, during your breaks, of which you get one ten minute break every ninety minutes of work, and of course, during lunch or after work, you can get more then, too."

He walked her over to the drinking area.

"If you want anything else to drink, you need to pay for it."

He got himself some water.

"You can get something if you want...."

I nod and smile.  "Sure, that seems like a good idea."  I follow the man as he leads me out into the hall. and past the offices, and men's restroom.  "Oh?  I would think two bathrooms is all but enforced in building codes.  That's pretty inconvenient, but I guess I'll just have to make it work."

I follow into the lunch room, and nod along to his explanation.  Smiling, I say "Thank You"  and grab a mug, then a teabag, and set it inside, and pour hot water over the bag, letting it seep for a bit.  "This should be lovely."  I say as I indicate that I'm ready to continue.

"Yes, well, the building does meet the code on the building level.  It has three bathrooms located around it for women."

He sighed.

They finished getting their drinks, and Robert started to walk her towards the media room.

"We print out hard copies and receive faxes in this room," He explained as they walked into a computer lab with several copiers, computer printers, and fax machines.

He walked her down to the floor where the ladies toilets were.

"You can use the bathroom and then I'll show you where you work.  You are not supposed to leave your station except during breaks for security reasons."

I nod as I'm shown the media room.  "Probably where I'll be going to retrieve most of my work then."

I'm grateful as he shows me the toilets.  I'm usually able to hold my bladder, but I'd much rather actually relax during my short breaks, rather than spend the whole time running up and down the stairs, or waiting on the elevator to use the bathroom."  Yes please, I'll take the opportunity now if I'm going to have to run down here whenever I want to try and go.  Would you hold on to this for me please?"  I ask as i hand him my tea

I duck inside the women's room, and quickly pee, get cleaned up a little, and re-join my new boss outside.  "Thank you again for waiting on me, I'm ready to work."  I say holding my hands out to take back my drink.

"You are more than welcome," Robert smiled.  "Now, we should go and get you a badge made so people know you belong here.  It's on the same floor, so if you'll just come with me?"

He led her down the hall past some more offices, and they arrived in an open seating area.

"You can sit here until they get you.  I'll look in back and tell them you are waiting, then you can go up and peek in on me to tell me you are going to work.  You should have a pile of work at your desk when you get back."

He then disappeared....

It was more than ten minutes before she was called back into a smaller room that had a camera and a wall space designated by being painted on just right for the employee badge.

"If you can sit straight and hold your head up, we'll take three photos," the man behind the camera explained.

I nod as Robert mentions getting my badge, and follow him into a waiting room.  I nod again and sit down.

After waiting for a while, I hear them Call my name, and I follow the man back to the smaller room, sitting down on the chair.  I sit with my back straight, and my head held high, putting on a well-practiced smile.  

Once the pictures are done, I thank the man taking them, wait for my ID, then take it up to Robert's office.

I poke my head in.  "Excuse me, Sorry if I'm interrupting anything, but I've got my Badge.  Would you mind showing me where and how to put the documents, just so I'm sure that I'm doing it right.  I have no idea if you guys do it the same way as my old company.

Robert frowned.  Was she really experienced?  It seemed common sense to him, for her to report to her cubical, and if she had any questions, to ask around first so as to try to put on a good impression of knowing what she was doing, but instead, she was already bothering the boss on a minor thing?

He motioned for her to come in.

"Yeah, I'll show you again where the multi-media room is for copies and such.  The baskets where you put hard copies are in there, too, and as for the digital copies, you are basically just updating the whole system, so you don't need to worry about it going to the right departments or not in that case...."

He started to walk her towards her own cubical again.

He picked up the top page.

"When you have finished this," he put it in her hands.  "You take it down this way...."

He showed her the multimedia room, and the proper place to put it.

"See?  The bins are all marked with the right departments, so you shouldn't have trouble figuring out which paper goes to which bin."

He smiled a little.

"Any more questions?"

I feel a bit apprehensive as my new boss frowns at me for asking basic questions about how to do my job.  Is this really the sort of thing I should be expected to know already without asking?

I walk in, and listen carefully to is explanation, following him around to my cubical and the multimedia room again, making careful notes in my head about where everything is.

I nod as he asks if I have more questions.

"Yes.  For the digital copies, is there a specific software or format I should be using?  My old company used a proprietary spreadsheet software.  Should I simply enter everything into Excel, Google Sheets, or something else?  any particular format I should be using on the sheet itself, or for saving the file, like .xl, or .xls?"

I try to bod him down with enough specific questions that I seem like I'm just worried about making sure I do things right, but actually get him to show me how to do things like he would anyone who was truly new to the industry.

Robert sighed and he sat down at the computer and pulled an extra stool for her to sit right next to him.

"Honestly, for someone that has worked in a company like this before, you are pretty nervous and seem scared of doing anything on your own."

He brought up the computer and showed her the programs on the computer.

"When you need to type out reports...."

He clicked on the main program for making reports.

"You can looked through this a bit today, and we'll let you put off making data entries until tomorrow.  This is a pretty basic program though.  It is very close to Microsoft's stuff, but it is set up precisely to work on this company's materials."

He showed her where to find the writing documents, spread sheet programs, and other essential stuff, but he still went through it quite quickly thinking she had used similar stuff before.

"Here, now you can sit here for the next two hours and get familiar with our programs.  I'll check on you in a bit."

He set up the tutorial program so that she would be stuck there, working through it and learning about it.  However, the tutorial program didn't take any breaks, so if she had to use the bathroom, she would either have to hold it or miss part of the program.

I blush a little, feeling a bit defensive as Robert points out that I seem nervous and scared to do anything on my own.  "I just want to make sure I do a good job, and don't make any mistakes, that's all.  It's always faster to do things right the first time."  I say as I sit don on the stool he pulled up.

I nod along with his explanation, trying to pay close attention.  I'm silently grateful as he lets me use today for just learning, and put off doing any data entry to tomorrow.  With how specific the program seems to be to the company I'm surprised that he didn't show me all of this in the first place.  Wondering if he simply wanted me to flounder and fail.  The differences in the software are minor, but they certainly wouldn't be directly obvious even to someone with less than a year of experience, like I was supposed to be.

I sit through the tutorial, but it seems to just drag on and on.  I look down at the time and see it's been an hour already.  usually I'd like to get up and walk around a bit to stretch my legs, perhaps grab something to drink, or use the bathroom, but the tutorial seems to just keep droning on.  I shake the mouse, and click around the screen, but there doesn't seem to be any way to pause things.  I try hitting the space bar, or pressing 'P', and 'Esc' but none of that does anything either.

I decide to simply sit through it.  but it still just keeps going, now only going over small minutia that wouldn't be useful to anyone who wasn't already fairly adept at the program.  it reaches the two hour mark, and I'm sitting with my legs crossed, just hoping it will end soon so I can go pee.

Robert came in just as the program was about to pause for a bit, and he noted that her legs were crossed.

"So, did you learn anything about the programs yet?" he asked her as though she were a newer assistant rather than a veteran at this sort of thing.  "The program continues, but I think you might want to stretch your legs."

He walked over and helped her up.

"Let's go get something to drink, and you can ask me about thing you've seen thus far that you have questions about."

I nod.  "Yeah, i defiantley have."  I say with a smile.  Not noting Robert's changed manner of addressing me.  my face falls a bit when he mentions that there's more to the tutorial.  "There's more than that?  It was going over keyboard shortcuts when it ended, does it have even more functionality than it's listed already?"

I stand up, a little unsteady and wiggle a bit from the sudden urge I get to pee as soon as I uncross my legs.  "Sure, walking around a bit sounds nice, as does a drink, but actually I need to use the bathroom if you don't mind.  I've kinda got a small bladder."  I say with an embarrassed smile.

"I don't think I have any questions, but I probably will as I run into things that you guys do differently than my old company.  Is that alright?"

Robert frowned.

"This program is pretty standard across most companies," he said.  "It is specifically designed for each company, but short cut keys and functionality are exactly the same.  So tell me the truth, you have never worked for a company like this before, have you?  You lied on your resume, did you not?"

He looked her in the eye.

He had not yet answered her question about using the bathroom, nor had he continued, to walk, but just stood there, waiting for her to answer his now decisive stern question.

He didn't think anyone that had even used the program for only six months could be as lost as she seemed to be with it.  She might be faking not having questions, but her dead give away, was asking about it have even more functions.  He didn't know any office program that didn't have lots of functions, some even hidden to himself, to be honest.

I balk, stopping dead in my tracks, as Robert accuses me of lying on my resume.  "I... I..."  I gulp, then hang my head in shame, and quielty admit.  "...Yes sir I did... I really need this job sir.  I'm about to lose my apartment.  I only got out of highscool a little while ago, and I've been searching for a job ever since.  I haven't been able to get one until now, not even flipping burgers.  Please don't fire me Sir."  I slowly look up, untill I looking him in the eyes, pleading with every fiber of my being, my hands clasped in front of me.