LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Colors of Amulette (Act 1 Complete!)

Hi friends! If you're a fan of either of our work, we have a feeling you're going to enjoy this. It's not a Kimmy story, it's not a Sophie story, it's not a Sophie && Pudding story... it's something entirely new!

It's a Sophie & Kimmy story!

Welcome to Amulette, a land of magic and witches, demons and diapers, faeries and familiars. We've been writing on this one for a while, and we aren't done yet, but we think it's time to share it! Sophie is going to be posting odd-numbered chapters and Kimmy will be posting the even-numbered chapters. We hope you enjoy it and make sure to leave us lots of Likes and Comments!

Also, if Amulette really grabs you, please feel free to write your own stories in this world. ^_^ 

Thanks for reading.

@Sophie ♥ & @bbykimmy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colors of Amulette

Chapter 1: Dust To Dust

Smoke hung heavy in the room; the spell had gone awry and Jade was highly irritated... bordering on livid.  Tapping her finger on the table, she waved the acrid, purple smoke away from her face with the other hand.  Her long violet nails clicked on the dark oak tabletop, as she sneered - she should be able see her reflection in the shine, but it was filthy, it looked like it hadn't been dusted in days.  She swept her eyes across the room, her private workroom was decorated entirely in burgundy and shades of violet, illuminated by faelights and candles in equal measure, her black gown shimmering just so.  It was a dark room with a dark purpose, and it was her pride and joy.

Jade's sanctum was extravagant - not every witch in the Keep got a private sanctum, but being the daughter of a particularly powerful witch definitely had its perks. She was a member of the most powerful bloodline in the realm… though she wasn’t terribly skilled herself.  She had her own quarters as well, no mere dorm like the lesser witches.  No, Jade was used to the finer things in life, and she expected things to go her way.

She scowled at the purple haze descending over the room, soiling her precious belongings, tainting pristine white pages with the violet smoke.  The spell had been a disaster, and the mess was staggering.

She knew the failure was her own fault, deep down... but she was furious at her servant for it regardless.  And she would find some reason to blame her for it.

"Paige!" she roared, hands moving to her hips as a sneer curled her purple-painted lips.  Her natural color was a pale green, but she hated green.  She dyed that pale green hair black regularly, and performed a charm every morning to turn her soft green eyes a brilliant purple.  Lips, however, were tricky - so she resorted to mundane means.  She loathed her mother's choice of name for her, but names had power and to change a given name in her world was to give up a great deal of it.  "Paige!  Get in here now!"

Great, Paige thought, in trouble for something I didn't do, no doubt... She sighed and got up from her desk and fixed her dress.  She wanted robes.  She wanted a cute hat.  Acting as a witch's Apprentice wasn't anything like she thought it would be.  And it didn't help that Miss Jade always called her a servant...

Paige was twenty-eight years old, but like most women in Amulette - the World of Witches - she looked a lot younger.  Large, puffy cheeks.  A button nose.  Bright shimmering yellow eyes.  Her long summer-blonde hair curled over her shoulders and down her back - a very easy spell she had learned ages ago.  Looking nice was important for someone in her position.  She was the niece of a First Circle member - there wasn't room for failure.  And nonetheless, Jade treated her like a common street urchin.  It was so frustrating.

One step into her office and Paige knew she was in trouble.  Her eyes scanned the bookshelves, ensuring everything was properly put away.  The curtains were closed.  The lamps were polished.  What had she done?  What had she forgotten?

"Yes, Miss Jade?" Paige asked quietly, stepping into her office.  The carpet was plush beneath her bare feet.  She felt the energy in the air.  Electric.  Magical.  Paige loved Jade's sanctum...

The scowling witch’s eyes narrowed further at the lazy girl sauntering into the room, as if Jade had invited her for a casual tea.  Paige fancied herself well on the road to being Promoted, despite only having served as a Apprentice for a measly three years.  The girl hadn't even earned the title "Apprentice" in Jade's opinion - she needed to learn humility, servility, silence.

And so she didn't use the title.

The difference in appearance between the two of them was night and day.  Jade Mazzi was sharp lines and harsh angles, pencil thin and severe.  Her skin was milky-pale and clashed horribly with her choice of makeup - her natural shades of green softened those lines, softened her look… but she covered it all up with blacks and violets.  She stood over Paige, sneering, her angular self a stark contrast to soft and inviting Paige, the friendly Apprentice, the kind girl.  It made her sick.

"Yes Miss Jade?" she repeated mockingly.  "Do you see something wrong with my sanctum, Paige?  Hmm?  Anything?  Anything at all?"

The girl was so disgustingly adorable, Jade couldn't stand it.  It was so unfair that she had been saddled with this brat.  But she would bring the girl low - ostensibly to build her back up - but the Mentoring witch wasn’t exactly honest with her own motivations.  Jade had taken her shoes a week ago, just as she had taken the novice robes her servant was not entitled to.  She would continue to strip Paige of her comforts until she learned her place, and if that didn't do it, she would do what some of her Order did and strip her adulthood as well... but there could be consequences.

No.  No matter how Paige screwed up, she was safe from that fate.

Paige was so blasted cute as it was, Jade wondered if she would even notice.  She drummed her fingers irritably on the table as she waited for an answer, glaring through the purple smoke.

Paige wasn't dumb.  She had been practicing magic since she was a little girl.  But, unfortunately, without a witch's blessing, she wasn't going to make anything of herself.  Apprenticeship came first.  In Jade's sanctum, she was careful to polish everything by hand.  One wrong spell and something could break... Paige shivered at the thought.

But she wasn't dumb.  Jade was hot tempered, quick to start placing blame.  So Paige did what was most logical: she examined the contents of the table between them.  A scrying orb.  An advanced text in a language Paige couldn't read.  Lots of purple smoke.  Purple smoke, purple smoke...

"Uh, you used the wrong catalyst?"

The words had slipped out.  She hadn't meant to say them out loud.  It was a thought that reached her mouth before her brain could stop her.  Paige had been working for Jade for nearly three years, and never did anything good come from assuming Jade had made a mistake.

Jade pursed her lips as the girl’s foolish words sent raw, red rage coursing through her.  Why did I have to get a human? she lamented, I could have bought a fae-servant, or a demon.  But no, I needed the prestige of initiating a new witch.

"Excuse me?" she seethed.  "Are you implying that I, your Mentor, your owner," it was technically true, she owned Paige until she received the blessing, "am responsible for this?  Doesn't it seem a little more likely that you FAILED TO CLEAN THE BRAZIER?"

Jade knew the girl was right and that made it even worse.  Green sparks crackled at the fingers of her right hand, magic leaping from fingertip to fingertip as she struggled to keep from hexing her stupid Apprentice right there.

"You will clean up this mess.  Properly.  And then you will report to my quarters for your Demotion, servant."

Demotion?!  Paige's eyes went wide and she shook her head in disbelief.  Over something this stupid?!  Absolutely not!

"No way!  I cleaned that thing yesterday!"

Paige had been meticulous, thorough.  She moved every book on the shelves.  She lifted every artifact and ingredient and placed them back in the exact same spot.  She'd washed all the tubs and the braziers with the stuff Jade had given her.  And Paige hated cleaning!  All month she had been trying so hard.  Frustration bubbled up in her chest.

"This isn't fair!  I've been helping you for years and I should be learning magic by now!  Not cleaning up your sanctum!  When are you going to teach me some real spells?  When do I get to do something fun?!"

"Not fair?" Jade scoffed.  Paige just didn't know when to stop talking!  "Not fair!?  I served as an Apprentice for fifty-two years, you whining whelp!  You've belonged to me for three, and I've been incredibly lenient despite your constant incompetence."  She slid a finger along the worktable, holding it up and showing the non-existent dust mingled with the residue from her failed spell.  "When do you get to do something fun?  When you learn your place."

Jade stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her and returning to her quarters.  Her gorgeous, luxurious quarters, which were hers by virtue of her station.  She was Third Sword in the Order of the Manticore, though she aimed to be Second Scepter before the end of the year.  She strode through her sitting room, past the bedroom, and entered her private study.  She unceremoniously flopped down in the enormous overstuffed recliner and set her communication crystal on the table, tapping it and chanting a few words.

"She's finally done it," she growled to Rosa the moment their crystals linked.  "She's finally pushed me too far, I'm going to Demote her."

"What did she do?" her best friend asked, obviously eating something - which was distressingly poor communication etiquette - but she wasn't going to alienate her oldest friend.

"She's demanding to begin spellwork after three measley years, Rosa!  I am weary of her impertinence."

"Why are you keeping her?" Rosa asked, her voice full of scorn.  "Just kick her out, buy a familiar - my little fae is so precious, you should get one."

"I can't," Jade sighed.  "I'm stuck with her.  She's the great-niece of a First Circle member... if I kicked her out, she'd complain to mother and- "

"That would be bad," she could practically hear the grimace on Rosa's face.  Nobody crossed the High Manticore, not even her own daughter, and certainly not said daughter's best friend.

Jade sighed a weary, put-upon sigh, covering her face with her hand dramatically and taking a very purposeful cleansing breath.

"You keep your fae diapered, right?  Where do you buy the diapers?"

"I'll port you some," Rosa offered, ever the kind friend.  "They should fit, pernicious Paige is on the small side, right?  And worse case, you can enlarge them a bit.  Do you want the normal daytime ones, or the humiliating night-time ones?"

"Oh the night-time ones, for certain.  Those will be her daytime diapers."

Paige continued to clean up Jade's sanctum, muttering to herself.  She really hadn't done anything wrong - there was barely any dust on the desk at all!  But she shouldn't have spoken to Jade like that either.  Paige's impatience was no excuse for her outburst and she knew it.

Demoted... Paige didn't know a lot about demotion, but she knew it was a terrible fate for Apprentices.  It changed all the time - in her father's day, a Demoted would wear an enchanted collar.  Everyone knew.  She shuddered at the thought, rubbing the back of her neck.  She was a great Apprentice!  Jade just never gave her the chance.

Either way, Paige thought, maybe I could make that soup she likes...

She had to get on Jade's good side.

• Like 10
35 minutes ago, brighteyes said:

Ohhhh this looks VERY promising! Awesome to see you two collaborating. Are any chapters gonna be posted early on your Patreon? :D

This is a good question.  I'm a little weary to do so, since the Patreon is exclusively for Pudding and myself and not for Kimmy's writing.  But if she's okay with it, I'm okay with it.  Let me ask...

She says yes!  So I'll put all of Act 1 (10 chapters) up on Patreon later this week. ^_^  

IIIIITTTTTT'SSSSSSSSS

HEEEEEEEEERRRRRREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

This has been a long time coming, but it's finally here! ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Let's see, a hot-headed, incompetent Witch and an impatient (albeit rightly so) Apprentice. Surely this can't possibly go wrong. ?

It's still a bit too early for me to have anything personal to say about this story. But when I do, well, you know how I roll. :D

Chapter 2: Azure to Rust

Amber fished a fresh potion out of her bag and upended it into the small cup.  Her eyes were bright with possibility - red with a hint of gold.  Her flowing auburn hair flitted down her shoulders with a messy finesse.  It was the sort of thing you saw only in drawings - unless you had magic, of course.

"Linnea, darling?” she called to her familiar. “Where are you hiding?"

Amber poked her head out out into the corridor and swirled the little cup in her hand.  Her impossibly red lips were turned up in a smile.  Perpetually, she looked as if she wore perfect lipstick, but that was just one perk of a red witch.

"Ohhhh Linny, precious!  I miss you so!  Come out come out wherever you are."

She’s home!  She’s home!  Linnea finished drying the last dish and put it away quickly-but-carefully and ran, shifting to her smaller form.  Her cropped black hair looked shaggier in this more childlike state and she was certainly less shapely, but Amber could pick her up that way, and she loved that.

She loved Amber.

Of all the familiars in the world, she was the luckiest.  Her pale green dress fluttered as she shifted, a soft compliment to her light blue skin.  She had belonged to Amber for over twenty years now.  As a demon - an Azurite, specifically - she knew from a very early age that her destiny was to be a slave, to be harvested for spell-ingredients, or to serve as a familiar... and Amber had saved her from the first two.  She would walk to the ends of the Earth, climb the tallest tower, and stare down the meanest witch for her beloved owner.

Linnea's diaper crinkled as she skipped around the corner, her heart light in her chest as she laid eyes upon the most beautiful witch in all the worlds.  She leapt those last few feet, flinging herself at her owner.

"Miss Amber," she cheered, laughing.  "I finished the dishes and cleaned the study, and I baked your favorite tarts, Miss Amber."

Amber had never wanted Linny.  When she adopted her years and years ago, it was only so she could harvest her blood for spells.  Familiars were popular.  Everyone had one, and demon blood was an ingredient in so many of her favorite potions.

Early on, Amber took a page out of human Demotion and sealed Linnea in the form of a cat.  Transfiguration seals were big in that day.  It was a different time, when familiars were cats, toads, dogs, ravens; fae and demons were hardly seen.  But a witch with a cat, that had become the standard.

Soon after, witches began taking on more than one familiar - which was strictly against the law.  No one could keep track anymore.  Demoted humans were shuffled in with the array of transfigured demons and fae.  They started to disappear.  Big families with big names started to complain.

So Demotion changed.  Transfiguration seals on humans were banned altogether.  No longer were humans turned into pets: instead, they were turned into children.  It was always easy to tell the difference between a human child and a demon one. 

By that point, Amber’s cat had been with her for seven years and Linnea loved the attention.  She would sit on her lap while Amber studied her texts.  She would nuzzle her in bed at night.  She would jingle the bell on her collar whenever Amber came home, so they could easily find one another.  She loved Amber...

When Demotion changed, Amber had a choice to make.  There was no law against transfiguration seals on demons like Linnea.  She could have kept her that way for the rest of her life.  After all, Amber barely knew Linny's true form.  But on days like this, when she picked up her small blue-skinned charge in her arms and hugged her close to her chest, Amber knew she had made the right decision.

"Look at you, Little Linny!  You're all small for me!" Amber was surprised to find how adept Linny was at transforming when she had spent so long sealed as a cat.  But demons always had a penchant for transfiguration. "I brought you a surprise, but it's for Big Linny only."

"A surprise!?" Linny lit up like the sun had just risen over the mountains.  She practically vibrated in Amber's arms, the small bell on her collar jingling rapidly.  She clapped her hands and hugged the witch before hopping down and focusing her energies to transform again - it was hard to do it twice in such a short amount of time, and a few beads of sweat were on her adult-sized brow when she was done.  Her smile was pained for a moment before she recovered, pushing the discomfort away.

Surprises were rare.  Gifts to a familiar were somewhat of a faux pas - they were property, they couldn't own property - so gifts tended to be things like new diapers or a collar, or something to wear to please their owner.  But Linnea had a small box of treasures in her room, such as it was: pretty stones, a few small, empty colored bottles, a simple picture book - she couldn't read, but she liked to look at the pictures - and her most treasured possession, a small lock of Amber's hair.  The witch didn't even know she had snatched it from the floor one day after it had been trimmed.  The auburn strands would shimmer in the noonday sun.  If Linny were alone for the lunchtime meal, she would eat in the small room that was hers and look at her treasures.  She never slept in her room, it was much too small to spread out in - being confined to it was saved for the worst punishments.

No, Linnea had the extreme pleasure of sleeping in Miss Amber's bed, curled at her feet.

She hoped the surprise would be something to add to her box... or something sweet to eat, that would be great too.  Some of Amber’s friends’ familiars didn't like her because she was "spoiled", but she didn't mind.  Amber's love was all she needed.

She stood, looking up with bright eyes at her owner, the central person of her life, the kindest soul she had ever known.  Most witches took a utilitarian view of familiars, some were downright cruel... but not Amber.

"May I please have the surprise, Miss Amber?" she beamed.  She was careful not to say my surprise.  Amber might be lenient, but manners and etiquette were still crucial... if she slipped up in front of one of her superiors, Amber would have to punish her.  It was better just to stay in the habit of perfect manners.

Amber ran her fingers through Linny's black hair and smiled warmly down at the blue-skinned girl.  Linny's adult form had always been pleasant to Amber.  Short, thin stature.  Small, perky breasts.  Tight, shiny clothes.  And the constant, pervasive telltale crinkle of a diaper.  Yes, Amber had certainly made the right decision in allowing Linny a demon form again.

Though her "demon" appearance was mostly human, the skin color was always a dead giveaway.  Humans had many different colors of skin but blue, purple, and grey were not among them.  And you would never find pointed incisors in a human mouth like the ones that decorated the ends of Linny's smile.  Her ears were tall and sharp, poking out of her hair, and she kept her thin tail curled up around her leg as she was taught.  Most demons had horns, but Linny had dodged that proverbial bullet.  If she hadn't, Amber would have had her horns filed down.

Amber pressed her lips to Linny's forehead and relished the smell of powder that permeated every inch of the girl.  How far she had come.  How low she was.

Amber extended the small glass cup to her charge.  A bubbling crimson potion swirled inside.

"This is your gift.  But-- ah, ah, ah!" Linny had reached for the glass and Amber had pulled it away. "Let me tell you about it."

Amber placed the cup in Linny's open palms.  Both hands.  Her habits in her other form persisted into this one.  Then Amber started drawing lines up the girl's blue arms.

"This is going to burn.  You'll feel hot.  But you won't scream, because you're a good girl." Amber let that line sink in.  It was important.  It was an instruction. "And when it's over, your skin will be a beautiful rusty red.  You'll give up a part of who you are.  To me.  And in return, you can share my color." 

The potion was temporary - only a day or so.  But why let Linny in on that fact?

The demon girl listened intently, nodding at the instruction... and swallowing hard once she understood what it meant, once she absorbed it.  Fear gripped her as her fingers curled around the small cup, her hands shaking slightly.  Those words - “good girl” - were a deep part of her; she knew she was a good girl - Amber told her so frequently.  But the potion would take something from her, something precious.  Her stomach tied itself in a knot of dread.

It was certainly a surprise, but it was not a pleasant one.

Linny loved her blue coloring, how she looked in the arms of the red witch.  She thought that Amber liked it too... but she had been wrong.  And that hurt, more than Linny expected it would.  Her tail flicked back and forth, the tip dancing against her leg - the only outward sign of her emotional pain showing.  The idea of the burning hurt less than losing that part of herself, her blue... but Amber wanted her red.  She wanted that gift.  There were red demons, but they were short lived and made terrible familiars.  But it made sense that her owner wanted her to look red, wanted her to match the rest of her belongings.

Without another word, she lifted the cup to her lips with both hands, closed her eyes, and drank, downing the entire potion as quickly as possible.  Amber took the glass from her before it could tumble to the ground and shatter, knowing that the familiar wouldn't be in a state to clean it up for a while.  Linnea wrapped her arms around her body and sank to the floor as the promised burning ensued.  Her skin felt like it was on fire, the heat was so intense.  She clasped both hands over her mouth and clenched her eyes shut, refusing to let any sound pass.  She would not scream.  She wouldn't, because she was a good girl.

When the pain lifted, she was kneeling at Amber's feet, heaving, supporting her weight with two hands on the ground... red hands.  A rusty red.

"I'm red now," she smiled weakly up at Amber, her skirt flipped up and revealing her puffy diaper.  Her tail lay limp on the ground next to her legs, uncurled when she had lost herself in the pain.  She seemed exhausted.  "Do you like it?"

There had never been a doubt in Amber's mind that Linnea would drink the potion.  Her skin had turned a dim, nightish red.  Her face.  Her hands.  Her thighs beneath the dress.  Amber spun her finger and raised Linny up to her feet with her magic.  Her muscles ached and her legs barely supported her weight.  She was so frail, so weak... Amber couldn't help a smile.

Demons were frightening at first glance.  Sharp teeth.  Tails.  Horns.  Skin in strange, otherworldly hues.  But they were smaller, more fragile than humans.  The demon blood hadn't empowered them: it had weakened their souls.  In another universe, where magic was different, maybe the demons would be superior and the humans would be their slaves.  But this was not that reality.

"You've done so well for me, my Linny," Amber told her, with a finger under her chin.  Her lips were an inch from Linnea's, so close she could feel her breath.  Any minute now, she'd collapse.  She'd fail.  But Amber didn't want that.  Amber wanted to reward her.

With a wave of her hand, she transformed her familiar to her younger form.  Her body shrunk, taking on the guise of a small child.  Her sharp teeth had barely come in.  Her tail was wild and reckless.  But her skin... her angelic blue skin was a deep, dirty red.  Her clothes shrank with her; most clothes for a demon were enchanted to keep consistency between forms.  Before Linny could fall over onto her diapered behind, Amber scooped her into her arms.

"I am so proud of you, Little Linny!  You were such a wonderful girl for me.  And now I'm going to reward you, just as I promised."

Amber kissed her on the nose and walked down the corridor to her study.  On the wall was a large ornate mirror.  Long ago, it had been magical.  Now it was but a reflection of the truth.  With her little girl on her hip, Amber approached so Linnea could see herself.

Amber's skin was not red.  She was human.  But the girl in her arms matched her like a handbag to shoes.  The young demon was every bit an accessory of Amber in that moment, more than she had ever been.  To a stupid and imperceptive dunce, she could even pass as her child.  Which was exactly what Linny would think.

"Tomorrow you should turn blue again.  Until then, you can suspend your services as my familiar, and take on the role of my daughter."

"As... as... as your daughter?" Linnea stammered, her voice tiny and squeaky in her smaller form.  "As... as a human?"  She stared at herself in the mirror.  Amongst the black hair, her red ears didn't seem so prominent.  She felt like she could pass for Amber's daughter.

Suspend your services.

In the twenty-two years she had been serving Amber, she had never had her responsibilities lifted.  She waited on Amber hand and foot, like a good familiar should.  Fetching things, cleaning things, holding things, serving as furniture if she was needed to.  She loved Amber and she showed it through service.  She wasn't even sure how to suspend her services.

"Oh Miss Amber," she breathed.  "It's..." Black tears filled her eyes, but she didn’t cry.  "It's the best reward ever.  I really do look human!  What am I supposed to do?"  She realized she had no idea how a human child was supposed to behave.  She hadn't been around many at all, and when she had, she had been focused on serving Amber, on anticipating her needs, on making her as comfortable as possible.  Not observing how human children functioned.

She imagined that human children didn't have the same experience as the demon.  An Azurite like her had a very, very short childhood: only a few months until she was fully grown, another year before she could shift shape.  If an Azurite made it to maturity, she was destined to serve and so the training began immediately.  Not all did.

Amber couldn't help but laugh.  She never had a child of her own.  To be honest, she had never even considered it.  But since Linny's new form, the thought had occurred to her on more than one occasion.  Children were a lot of work, but Linny was the opposite.  Maybe a test run was in order.

"Rule one," Amber told her new daughter, "Don't think so much.  Let me satisfy your needs, just for one night.  And tomorrow you can return to your position."

Would Linny understand how to stop thinking?  Would she understand how to relax?  Maybe it was best shown by example.  Amber slid her hand up under Linny's dress and ran her finger along the leg-band of her diaper.  A finger snuck into the padding and pushed against the sodden fabric.  Very wet.  No surprise.  But in the past, Amber had trusted Linny to report her diaper status herself.

"Oh darling, look how wet you are.  Let's get you changed, okay?"

In another act against normality, Amber took Linny to the supply closet to fetch a fresh diaper herself.  Every other time, for years and years, Linny was forced to retrieve the changing supplies and bring it back to her owner, wherever she was in the house.  But today was different.  Today was special.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Wannatripbaby said:

IIIIITTTTTT'SSSSSSSSS

HEEEEEEEEERRRRRREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

This has been a long time coming, but it's finally here! ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Let's see, a hot-headed, incompetent Witch and an impatient (albeit rightly so) Apprentice. Surely this can't possibly go wrong. ?

It's still a bit too early for me to have anything personal to say about this story. But when I do, well, you know how I roll. :D

We started writing this story in August, I think.  We've finished Act 1 and have written 2 chapters of Act 2 - neither of us know how it's going to end, but it should be a fun journey!  I love all the characters in it so far <3

7 minutes ago, Wannatripbaby said:

On the one hand, that was super adorable! ?

On the other hand I'm getting Vietnam flashbacks to another Witch who loved her Familiar very much... and lost her. ?

Ah but when do I use the same trick twice?

Guest KWOceans

It's an interesting concept to think of demons as a weaker species when they're often portrayed as powerful, tricky, and usually dark, with magic that's difficult to counter. I agree with Trip that it does remind a lot of Sightlines, but the writing quality is strong as ever. 

6 minutes ago, KWOceans said:

It's an interesting concept to think of demons as a weaker species when they're often portrayed as powerful, tricky, and usually dark, with magic that's difficult to counter. I agree with Trip that it does remind a lot of Sightlines, but the writing quality is strong as ever. 

Yeah, I was a little worried about the Sightlines similarity but Sophie had never read any of Sightlines and she wanted to do a witch story... the differences in Familiars between the two worlds will become clearer as we go on, they're pretty drastically different.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!  Linny is a delightful character to write <3 <3

Chapter 3: A Jade Nightmare

The supplies were arrayed on the low, long table of the sitting room.  She had originally planned on using her bed, but Rosa had strongly advised against that.

Her athame, the herbs, the heady incense that helped channel the energies, everything was just so.  Rosa had suggested shrinking Paige to the size of a child, but unlike Siena - Rosa’s fae - Paige wouldn’t be able to restore her height at will.  If Jade decided to shrink her Apprentice, the witch would have to clean areas of the tower herself - patently unacceptable.

The final touch was waiting under the table.  A single, thick, stark white nighttime diaper provided by her best friend.  It would serve as a constant reminder that Paige needed to shape up... or else.

In Jade’s day, Demotion had been different.  For three months, she had been a frog at the behest of her Mentor.  It had taught her the importance of obedience and discipline, and was the beginning of the end for her love of the color she used to wear with pride, her family color.  She knew what it was like to be nothing, when your bloodline didn’t matter.

Times had changed.  Transfiguration seals - a binding used on demons to prevent their magical transformations - had been banned on humans.  In their place, Spirit seals - bindings used on fae - were the new norm.  But Spirit seals had their own benefits.  Not only could they change the size and physical age of the Demoted, but limit their magical aptitude and body function.  After that, the market for magical diapers - capable of withstanding enlarge/reduction spells and demonic fluids - expanded to fulfill not only demon and fae familiars, but human ones as well.

Jade decided after several long minutes of deliberation that Paige would be Demoted to diapers as was the current custom.  She'd lose perhaps six inches of height as a reminder, but her duties would remain entirely unchanged.  Paige needed to learn that her place was to serve, not to complain.  Only then would Jade provide the first touch of the blessing, that barest taste of true magic that began the path.

But her charge would have to earn it.  Now she just had to wait for the lazy slob to finish cleaning up the mess that... well, even if she hadn't been the root cause of, she had surely caused.

I wouldn't make a mistake like that, Jade told herself, if I weren't constantly driven to distraction by her incompetence... now where IS she!?

Paige was, in fact, struggling in the kitchen - Jade's soup was hard to make.  The student had learned significant cooking skills since she started her Apprenticeship.  That was what it was called: Apprenticeship.  Though Jade always called it servitude.

Finally, Paige knocked on Jade's door with a tray table in her arms, the bowl of soup precariously perched on top of it.  But there was no answer.  With a struggle, she set the tray down and opened the door, peeking inside - but the lights were off and she didn't see Jade's shadow moving about.  Hm...

Carefully, she picked up the tray and started down the hall, almost bumping right into Jade and narrowly avoiding spilling the soup all over the carpet.  But Paige held it together, with just a touch of irritation.  She plastered a fake smile on her face and looked up at her Mentor.

"I'm sorry, Miss Jade.  I was looking for you!  Um, I made you your favorite soup as an apology.  What I said earlier was out of line."

It wasn't out of line and Paige knew it.  But she was good at playing the odds.  In this case, as with most every other, they leaned toward sucking up to Jade.

"You.  Made.  Soup," Jade practically spat the words, her fury was so complete.  Her grip tightened around the ritual dagger in her right hand and the world to her seemed to have the faintest red tint.  "You cannot follow even the simplest instructions.  I said quite clearly that when you were done with cleaning your mistake, you were to report to my quarters.  I did not say 'report to my quarters when you feel like it', I did not say, 'make sure you bring me soup'."

Green sparks flew from her left hand as she gestured, tearing the tray from Paige's grasp and floating it gently to the side table next to her favorite reading chair.  She had to admit that the girl was a talented cook, she wouldn't be letting the soup go to waste... in Jade's opinion, Paige should focus on being a cook entirely, rather than struggling to become a witch.  She slashed the palm of her left hand with the athame and grabbed Paige by the wrist.  With a glance, the incense ignited, with a nod, the herbs flung themselves into the girl's eyes.  And with a few sharply spoken words, the Demotion enchantment began to take hold.

Panic.  Pure, sheer panic.  Paige had been hexed before.  She'd been cursed.  She'd had spell after spell put upon her.  Jade wasn't exactly kind in her punishments.  But this... this was surreal.  This was unrelenting.

The tray whizzed away like lightning, but it rested peacefully on the side table.  Paige opened her mouth to explain herself, but before a single word could come out, Jade grabbed her wrist.   Everything was a blur after that.  Her body ached and relaxed.  And before she knew what was happening, a damp spot saturated the front of her dress, dripping down her thighs and into the carpet of the sitting room.

Paige looked down in shock.  At a complete loss for words.  She looked up at Jade, but the witch loomed over her like a skyscraper.  Her heart sank.  She felt sick inside...

Then her clothes were gone.  She stood in nothing but dripping panties and a white lace bra.  Something she brought from home.  Her cheeks went crimson.

"Hey!  What are you--"

Magic whirled around her and Paige was suddenly on her back.  Jade lifted her legs high in the sky as she shoved the square of plastic under her bottom.  Paige let out a scream and kicked Jade as hard as she could, fumbling to get away.

"What... what are you doing?!"

"You have been Demoted," Jade answered coldly as she drew the diaper closed around her useless familiar's waist.  She pulled one side taut, then the other - there was an unexpected glee that spread through her as she pulled each tape closed.  She had been planning on having Paige change her own diapers, but there was something deeply pleasing about the sudden thought that came to her, the thought of Paige shame-faced and sad begging for a fresh diaper.

Suddenly she wished she had Demoted the girl the first time she proved herself incompetent.

"You have lost the privilege of controlling your bladder, like a familiar.  You have failed at every opportunity to grasp that you.  Are not.  A witch.  Not yet.  You aren't yet even a familiar, in my opinion.  You have to earn it.  By obeying.  By letting go of this ridiculous sense of entitlement."  She stood, towering over the prone girl.  "You are entitled to nothing.  You will learn magic when I decide you are ready to learn.  When I believe that you are ready to surrender to the energies.  But you will surrender to me first, girl.  Now clean up your mess."

"...this is crazy," Paige muttered, looking up at Jade with a mixture of shock and frustration.  Everything had happened too fast... she couldn't wrap her head around it.  But when Paige finally stumbled to her feet and her legs wobbled beneath her, there were irrefutable truths.

One.  She was short.  The sensation of Jade towering over her was not from the spell: it was one of reality.  Jade had always been a few inches taller, but now... now it felt like Paige was a teenager at best, looking up at an adult.  The new perspective was overwhelming.  It wasn't only her witch: everything was bigger.  Everything loomed.  Paige's chest ached with panic.

Two.  She had pissed herself.  The dress she was wearing hung off the corner of a side-table, with the wet patch on display.  A shameful stain on her dress; a shameful stain on her maturity.  Was... was that the spell?  It had to be...

Three.  A diaper, thick between her legs.  So thick she couldn't push her knees together.  So thick Paige wobbled to catch her balance.  Her cheeks were on fire.  Her pride had been shot through the temple.  It lay on the floor, amongst the patches of wet carpet.

Finally, it all hit her at once.   Tears uncontrollably dripped down Paige's cheeks, to her chin, and fell to the wet carpet.

"Y-you... you can't treat me like this..."

Paige raised her hands to put up a ward between herself and Jade.  But the spell immediately failed - her magic felt weaker... she looked up in surprise and panic.

"I can't treat you like this?" Jade repeated with a sneer, Jade reached out and grabbed Paige by the back of the neck, marching her through the sitting room, past the bedroom, and to her private study.  Paige could barely keep up, the thickness of the diaper forcing her to waddle and stumble.  Jade had to admit that, in a way, the girl was right - she wouldn't be able to keep Paige Demoted for long, certainly not permanently - the Circle would investigate and the High Manticore would almost assuredly be involved, and the last thing Jade wanted was her mother breathing down her neck.

Too many people said she held Third Sword only because Giada Mazzi, the High Manticore, put her there.  Jade, however, knew that was not true.  She earned her position on her own merit, through hard work and magical aptitude.  Her mother had nothing to do with it - Jade was a top-class witch and she knew it.  Her skills in transfiguration were second to none among the Third Swords.

She squeezed a little harder, causing Paige to wince and hiss as she forced the shrunken girl to face her reflection in the mirror.  There she stood, clad only in a bra and a diaper, standing only to Jade's shoulder.

"Even now," Jade growled, "you are refusing to admit your place.  You're going to ward yourself against me?  I own you, girl.  You belong to me.  And now you're Demoted, just like so many  familiars.  Surely you've seen their little diapered butts wandering around.  Most Apprentices don't get Demoted, Paige.  They're not that foolish.  Now look at yourself, and thank me for Demoting you back to diapers, and tell me that you'll be a good servant.  Do it."

The sight in the mirror was too much for Paige.  The fresh tears on her cheeks.  The thick diaper between her legs.  She shook her head and tried to look away, but Jade held her hair.

All this time, Paige had done her best.  Sure, she didn't follow every instruction.  Yeah, sometimes she questioned Jade.  But the tasks she was given weren’t the job of a witch!  They weren’t!

Paige fought and pulled at Jade's grip, but her new height only furthered her helplessness.  And her weaker magic... she had never felt so pathetic in her entire life.

Against her better judgement, the Apprentice did what she did best.  She complained.

"I'm not a servant!  I'm not a fae or a demon!  I'm a witch!  I'm a witch and I'm good at it, and you don't even give me a chance!  You're just old and petty and jealous!"

And before she knew it, Paige's feet left the floor.  Even floating off the ground, Jade was taller.

"Paige," the taller witch crackled with energy, her eyes alight with green lightning, her hair raised slightly from the energy, bouncing in a non-existent breeze.  "Your tongue is going to be the death of you one day."  She grabbed the girl by the band of her bra, right between her breasts, and towed the floating servant back to the sitting room, grabbing an item that Rosa had sent ahead in her infinite wisdom.

She picked up the pacifier and channeled her energy into it, renewing the enchantment just for Paige.  And then she stuffed it between the stupid girl's troublesome lips.  She would not be able to speak around it save for muffled, single-syllable words.  She would have to wait for Jade to remove it.  Seething with renewed rage, pushed beyond any reasonable edge, she stormed out of her quarters, towing the helpless Paige along, out of the wing belonging to established witches and their studies, and down to the Apprentice quarters... and passing a tittering Lavulite in the process - the purple-skinned demon scampered off quickly, her diaper crinkling as she bounded on all fours down the hall, tail poking out through a hole near the top of the diaper and whipping back and forth...

An obedient familiar on some task for her owner.  Running an errand, the only time a demon's tail was allowed to swing free - to signal that they were doing the bidding of their witch.

I could have had one of those, Jade thought bitterly, instead of a disobedient brat.

She stormed past two other Apprentice girls, Paige's peers who stared wide-eyed at the sight, and into her Apprentice's quarters, flinging the door open with the wave of a hand.  Paige's room was modest, as it should be, and tidy.  She seemed to spend more effort on her quarters than Jade's own!  With a fury-fueled swipe, she waved her hand, flinging open the closet door, revealing Paige's collection of dresses...

Jade Mazzi's specialty was transfiguration - it was the only thing she was good at, really... not that she would admit that.  Her major strength, however, was not precision.  It was raw power.  A gift by birthright, not by merit, and her ability to channel the arcane energies only increased with her agitation.

And Jade was livid.

Green lightning arced from her fingers as she chanted, and before Paige's eyes, her bed became a crib, gleaming white and inescapable, her treasured dresses shortened and changed, becoming childish pastel versions of themselves rather than the mature garb she prided herself on.  Spent, weary, and flagging... Jade towed her charge to the crib and laid her down, raising the bars and tapping them with a quick enchantment to keep Paige from climbing out or lowering them.

"I'll come for you tomorrow," she said haggardly, "I have to go clean your mess."  And eat your soup.  "I will authorize one of your peers to change you if you need it, but you will remain in your crib until tomorrow, when we can enchant it to lock you in properly each night on its own."

And with a twirl, Jade strode from the room to snag another Apprentice before finishing the remainder of her evening.

Paige was bawling her eyes out.  She couldn't help it.  This wasn't what I signed up for!  Apprentices are NEVER demoted!  Never!  This is an offense to my ability!  To my family!  Jade will never get away with it!

Paige tried to take off the diaper by pulling on the soft plastic tapes, but the enchantment repelled her hands.  She tugged at the pacifier in her mouth, but it stayed firmly between her lips.  She got up on her feet in the oversized crib and pulled herself over the railing only for a force field to knock her back to the mattress.

Paige conjured a spell between her fingers with what little energy she had left.  Her magic felt so far away, so limited.  She didn't understand... was this because she had been Demoted?  But there was a simple answer.  A Dispel.

It took all her focus, but her hands glowed a brilliant yellow.  Paige reached up and touched the bars of the crib.  It should have worked.  The barrier should have fallen.  Jade's spell should have been broken.  But instead, the glow on her hands turned green.  Her fingertips started to shift color, like she'd been finger painting.  Jade's spell overwhelming her own.  Then her Dispel snapped and she was shot across the crib with the force of a gunshot.

I don’t deserve this, Paige thought again.  But she was so exhausted.  Every ounce of fight had been siphoned out of her.  No matter how intelligent she was, she couldn't think of a way out of this.  Her mind failed her.  Her body failed her.  Her magic failed her.

Tears soaked her pillow.  She couldn't stop crying.  The faces of her friends flashed behind her eyelids.  Shock.  Disbelief.  A smirk.  A laugh.  Paige couldn't breathe... she sucked softly on the pacifier to calm her nerves, without thinking.  Before long, she'd drifted off into a dream-filled sleep.  That was her only escape anymore.

• Like 6

I want to feel bad, but she did mouth off to, not only her master, but a WITCH! On the list of bad life decisions that's gotta be near the top.

Also does shrinking someone 6 inches count as Transfiguration? Or is it something different? I just want to know if Jade technically broke the law or not?

Grammar Patrol:

15 hours ago, Sophie ♥ said:

Jade opened her mouth to explain herself, but before a single word could come out, Jade grabbed her wrist

Paige, mayhaps?

Chapter 4: An Amber Dream

Amber had a soft spot for Linnea.  It wasn't really a secret.  Her familiar had been with her for a long time, and would be with her much longer.  Faeries and demons weren't like humans; when they were taken in as familiars it was a life bond - their service was eternal.  They would either serve a witch until the day she died, or they would be killed in the process, often by the witch herself.  Each witch could only have one familiar at a time and when a familiar was incapable, killing it was easier than enduring the burden of keeping it around.  Though Amber could never imagine hurting her Linnea more than necessary... more than what was fun and enjoyable.

Humans were different.  Humans were complicated.  You couldn't kill a human when they disobeyed or misbehaved.  They had rights.  It was that thought that kept Amber from taking on an Apprentice.  She didn't want permanence back then.  She wanted a temporary toy.  Strange how things change...

"Hey Little Linny?  Are you still awake?" Linny's diaper had been changed and the two of them had shared a wonderful dinner together.  Amber had spoon fed her mashed potatoes and seasoned green beans.  Linny hated green beans, but her expression was too priceless to pass up.  Now the two were in Amber's ornate oak bed in the dead of night.  Rather than curling up at Amber's feet as was the norm - a leftover trait from Linny's days as her cat - she was bundled up in Amber's arms.

Linnea the Azurite was fast asleep, it was a personal gift - she could fall asleep anywhere, any time, and wake just as easily.  She was such a light sleeper that she could wake just by someone looking at her intently.  Her owner's voice roused her instantly.

She purred softly, deeply enjoying the red witch's touch.  She loved that Amber didn't make her sleep in a cage like most familiars.  Her friend Dove was an Ashite, and her owner made her lock herself in the cage every night at bedtime.  Dove had told her how sad it made her, how badly she wanted to sleep in Morgan's bed like Linny did with Amber.  Linny had learned that the cage was enchanted: the moment Dove closed the door, she was done for the night - she put herself to bed after her chores were done.  But Linnea knew that Morgan loved Dove... just not as much as she herself was loved by Amber.

Miss Amber was the best, kindest witch in the whole world.  The worst Linny had to endure was Amber chuckling that beautiful, musical laugh at her absolute hatred of green beans - they tasted like green dirt and the flavor lingered for hours - which was quite harmless.  Linnea was the envy of her peer group, the other demon familiars in the Siren Keep.

She was looking forward to seeing her friends very, very much.  Their witches all worked some magic in the Keep the same day each week, and Linny would get to tell the story of her evening as a human.  Her friends would be so jealous at first, but with a touch and some energy, she would be able to share those feelings of joy and comfort with them like she always did, bringing them peace and love for their witches.

She smiled up at Amber, focusing her effort on keeping her tail perfectly still so it didn't irritate the witch.

"Yes Miss Amber?" she asked, ready to serve.

Amber hadn't been able to sleep.  At first, it was because she had put her temporary daughter to bed early.  Amber enjoyed the extra moments cuddling so much that she didn't want to get up.  Night set in around them.  The light through the curtains faltered.  Soon, the room was dark.  And Amber was lost in thought.

She was the best witch in the Third Sword; there wasn't even doubt about it.  The Siren's Prodigy - that's what they called her.  She'd make Second Scepter this year, it was nearly certain.  In another fifteen years, Amber might make First Circle.  She could rule the Arcane Rift if Siren overtook Manticore.  An entire dimension at her fingertips.  Limitless potential.

Twenty years ago, nothing would have pleased her more.  Now something did.  The girl in her arms.  Dammit...

"Linny... I wonder sometimes.  What more..." Amber shook the thought from her head.  She almost said the wrong words.  She almost asked Linny what more she could do for her familiar.  But that didn't make sense.  Witches didn't do things for their familiars.  The dissonance in her thoughts corrected themselves.  She began again.

"What more can you do for me, Linny?"

Linny's heart clenched at the question.  It hurt.  Like the words were sharp nails in her stomach.

Her mind raced, trying to think of what she was doing wrong, where she was failing, where she was falling short.  She did everything she could for Amber, she cleaned, she cooked, she organized, she ran errands and fetched things, she coordinated supplies for spells with the other familiars, she spent every waking moment thinking of how she could serve Amber - the kindest witch in the whole world.

And it wasn't enough.

But she wasn't allowed despair, she wasn't allowed sadness at her owner's words.  It wasn't the way of a familiar.  Despair led to falling down on duties, sadness led to mistakes.  And mistakes led to death.  A familiar who couldn't do their job wasn't kept.  The next familiar would do them without complaint.  And so even though the words felt so painful, Linny would not even show it.  She couldn't.  She was a good girl.

"I could... " she couldn't believe the words that were tumbling out of her mouth.  There was nothing else she could do, but it was blasphemy to say it, "I could be your Apprentice, Miss Amber."

As the words hung in the air, Linnea's eyes widened.  She had blasphemed.  She had put herself on the same level with a human - it had to be the human-potion, it was the only explanation, it gave her a human-thought.  But the words were out.  They could not be unsaid.

"My Apprentice..." The words lingered on Amber's tongue.  The gears in her mind clinked and turned.

In a way, any human that acted as an Apprentice was not all that different from a familiar.  Witches took them on as training.  When a witch deemed an Apprentice ready, they ascended through Promotion.  They were then recognized as students of magic, as real witches.  When Demotion came about, hundreds of years ago, it complicated matters.

But fae and demons were not Apprentices.  They were familiars and they could be nothing more.  They didn't have the makings of becoming a witch.  They were second-class citizens.  And still, Amber couldn't shake the thought.  Linnea... her Apprentice....

The Order of the Manticore would never allow it on paper.  Legally speaking, Linny would never be an Apprentice.  But so what?  It could be a game... a new, exciting game.  Amber's eyes glowed with excitement.

But what was the point?  Demons couldn't cast spells.  They were incapable of using magic that way.  All Linnea could do was transfiguration, and only on herself.  Changing size.  Changing shape.  Was a game worth playing if the outcome was already so certain?

Amber sighed.  Decisions, decisions...

"If I did something like that," Amber told Linny in the quiet, dark room, "you would only disappoint me."

Linnea, believing herself to be in the grips of the human-potion, did something no familiar dared.

She cried.

Black tears spilled from her eyes, dripping onto Amber's chest.  Linny panicked once she realized what was happening, she put her hands to her face to hide her shame, but it was too late.  Amber would surely feel the wetness soaking into her nightshirt, hear the soft hiss of her tears singeing the garment...

Familiars didn't cry, no matter what witches did to them.  If one needed to cry, they held it until they were alone.  A familiar never, ever cried in front of their owner.  They weren't allowed feelings, they weren't allowed to express them.  And as the tears wouldn't stop, Linny began to fear for her life.  A familiar only shed tears for harvest, only when a witch commanded.

She was broken.

And there was only one thing a witch did with a broken familiar.

Amber turned Linny around and held her tight against her chest, playing with the girl's short black hair.  She pressed her lips to the top of her head.  She had seen Linny cry only once before and she had hoped never to see it again.  Great... now what?

"You want to be my Apprentice so desperately?" Desperation - something Amber could work with.  Linny's tears had burned little holes in Amber's elegant nightgown, but the witch didn't flinch.  All Linny's fluids had a slight acidity to them.  Demon tears and demon blood were very powerful spell ingredients.

"I am so sorry, Miss Amber," the small, shaking red-skinned demon girl whimpered.  She was breaking so many rules, she was being so bad!  "I'm so so sorry.  I'm a demon, I'm not a human for real... your potion is going to wear off tomorrow."  She held up her hands and stared at her ruddy flesh.  "I shouldn't have dreamed... it's not my place, I'm so, so sorry.  Please Miss Amber, I'll be good.  I'll be good Little Linny tomorrow, when I'm... when I'm blue again."

She looked away, her red cheeks flaring redder as she displayed one of the few emotions that were allowed in the presence of a witch: shame.  She vowed that tomorrow, she would be the best she had ever been.  She would cook all the best things, she would clean the hardest places.  She would work herself to exhaustion for Amber.  The best witch ever deserved no less.

"I.. " she whispered softly, "I wish I were a human for real.  For always.  I wish I could be your Apprentice, and not just... a disappointment."

Amber's eyes shined, but her smile was soft.  Linnea... a beautiful girl.  Even in this form - that of such a small child - Amber could see the facets that made up who she was, hidden beneath the chubby cheeks and tear-filled eyes.  If Amber had a better word for it, she might call it love.

"Alright, Little Linny.  Tomorrow we start a new game." A new game meant new rules.  Amber was already planning.  She had ideas. "As long as it does not interfere with your duties as my familiar, you can be my Apprentice.  And we will see if you are a disappointment, rather than assuming so.  You've earned my faith in you."

Tears stung Linny's eyes once again, but these were tears of a different sort - tears of joy, of hope.  She wiped them away quickly, letting them dissolve into her skin rather than putting any more horrid burns into Miss Ambers beautiful things.  She wished she could cast a mending spell like the human Apprentices.  She had never been envious of them, she was a demon and they were human - she was lesser and they were greater.  It was the way of things.  She was deeply grateful that she was not a slave demon, working in some pub scrubbing the floor, or worse... kept only for spell ingredients... she suppressed a shudder at the thought.  Those poor demons - mostly boys - were kept in tiny cages and drained of their blood and tears, their claws and horns, their flesh and their tails.

But that was their lot.  Linny had never seen her home, she had been bred and matured here, though the Azurites had a word for this place - Sehrli, the land of witches.  They of course didn't call it that, witches called her homeland through-the-portal "Väike Sinine", the land of the small blue... a place to capture servants from.  Supposedly the Azurites were mighty warriors in their own realm.  Linny couldn't imagine it.

She had been purchased by Miss Amber when she was less than two years old, on the cusp of maturity... she couldn't remember anything but serving Miss Amber.

And now a new game was on the horizon.  Miss Amber was always coming up with games and challenges - Linny almost always failed, if a game wasn't hard it wasn't worth playing... she had learned that lesson well.  But the times she had won... it was pure elation.  Amber's face when she succeeded in one of her challenges was more than enough to keep her going, keep her driven.

"What are the rules, Miss Amber?"

• Like 5

I want to feel bad, but she did mouth off to, not only her master, but a WITCH! On the list of bad life decisions that's gotta be near the top.

Also does shrinking someone 6 inches count as Transfiguration? Or is it something different? I just want to know if Jade technically broke the law or not?

Grammar Patrol:

Paige, mayhaps?

Thanks - I'll edit that >_< (I hate writing in third person!)

As for your question!  It's a little complicated, but I think it comes down to... transfiguration on humans isn't illegal, but transfiguration seals are.

If a witch is transfigured into another creature - say a cat - then the witch can transfigure herself back.  She still has access to all her magic.  But a transfiguration seal makes it so no transfiguration magic can affect the person.  It seals their form.  This will come up a little more in future chapters. ^_^ 

Technically Paige's magic could turn her back to normal height.  But Demotion has a little more to it than normal spells. o_o . More on this later, too.

Since Jade isn't that great at spells, plus the fact that she was really ticked off when she did the demotion, I am wondering what she did wrong. I mean, while not noticeable from the start, I am looking forward to seeing if something did indeed go wrong. I will be keeping a close eye on this one.

I love Amber & Linnea. They're so adorable together. ♡♡♡

The only question is: How does their story tie to Jade & Paige's? Aside from the juxtaposition of a human being treated like a slave and a slave (demon) being treated like a human.

Grammar Patrol:

22 hours ago, bbykimmy said:

But the times she had one... it was pure elation

I believe you mean Won? Gotta love homophones. ?

The only question is: How does their story tie to Jade & Paige's? Aside from the juxtaposition of a human being treated like a slave and a slave (demon) being treated like a human.

Grammar Patrol:

@bbykimmy - make sure to edit that!  I edited the master file.

Yes I love the dramatic differences between the two sets of characters!  Writing each of them feels very fresh and unique.  But they will tie together sooner or later. :angel_not:

I also realized something yesterday:

As easy as it is to hate Jade, I think it's fairly clear that she's the biggest victim in this story thus far. What makes me say that? Primarily this line:

On 12/18/2018 at 4:23 PM, Sophie ♥ said:

In Jade’s day, Demotion had been different.  For three months, she had been a frog at the behest of her Mentor.  It had taught her the importance of obedience and discipline, and was the beginning of the end for her love of the color she used to wear with pride, her family color

Her mentor didn't just punish her, he/she pushed and abused her until she hated the very thing that made her unique. And they kept Jade as an apprentice for 52 years! That is obviously far longer than the norm because otherwise Paige wouldn't have expected to be advancing after a measly 2 years. Plus what could possibly take 52 years to learn? It only takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something. Her mentor was obviously a vile, abusive, horrible master and now Jade is just perpetuating the cycle.

Anyway that's just my two cents.

On 12/19/2018 at 11:03 AM, Guilend said:

Since Jade isn't that great at spells, plus the fact that she was really ticked off when she did the demotion, I am wondering what she did wrong. I mean, while not noticeable from the start, I am looking forward to seeing if something did indeed go wrong. I will be keeping a close eye on this one.

I'm glad you're following along!  This story has been a lot of fun to write - Sophie and I have a fairly similar style and our writing fuses together quite nicely, I think.

I wonder if you're right... hmm.... poor Paige, surely things will turn around for her, right?

11 hours ago, Wannatripbaby said:

Grammar Patrol:

Fixed it!

I also love Amber and Linny!  It's why I wanted to post the even numbered chapters  ^_^

Maybe their stories NEVER tie together!  Maybe we're just supposed to witness the dichotomy as each progresses...

8 hours ago, Sophie ♥ said:

@bbykimmy - make sure to edit that!  I edited the master file.

Yes I love the dramatic differences between the two sets of characters!  Writing each of them feels very fresh and unique.  But they will tie together sooner or later. :angel_not:

>_>

OR WILL THEY

I also realized something yesterday:

As easy as it is to hate Jade, I think it's fairly clear that she's the biggest victim in this story thus far. What makes me say that? Primarily this line:

Her mentor didn't just punish her, he/she pushed and abused her until she hated the very thing that made her unique. And they kept Jade as an apprentice for 52 years! That is obviously far longer than the norm because otherwise Paige wouldn't have expected to be advancing after a measly 2 years. Plus what could possibly take 52 years to learn? It only takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something. Her mentor was obviously a vile, abusive, horrible master and now Jade is just perpetuating the cycle.

Anyway that's just my two cents.

Wouldn't it be fab if Jade's mentor was sweet as cake all the time except with Jade?

Jade is such a sweetheart, everyone should just fall in love with her!  I will say this, the green isn't unique - it's a family trait, she just got it more intensely than some.