LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Sonya and Michaela Starting Over

Ishigreensa

Michaela sighed. She nodded and stared at her lap. 

“I miss my daddy.” She squeaked out quietly. Her father passing was her first ever experience with death, and she still didn’t know how to handle it. She was still confused about him being gone and everything, but she knew he would never come back. 

“Mommy works hard but she has trouble too.” Michaela said. “She tries not to show me but I can see her.” She said, starting to open up a little. “She tries really hard, but I know she worries. I try to be good so mommy doesn’t have to be more stressed about other stuffs.” She said, unaware she had started to let on that her household was really struggling. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brenda nodded.

"What happened to daddy?" she probed.  "Did he leave, or did something else happen?"

She figured the more she knew, the better she could help the child cope.  And even though she could figure it out through other channels, the fact of getting Michaela to open up to her and to talk about it would not only give her a clearer picture than a report would, but it would give Michaela the confidence she needed to talk about it, if she could just continue now that she had started.

Brenda knew that if it was death, then of course the mother would be struggling, too.  Death was never easy on anyone, and obviously, suddenly not having one person financially helping to support the family was another burden that would have taken a toll.  She felt for this little girl some.

“Somebody hit daddy’s car.” Michaela said sadly. “He was in the hospital for a long time. But he couldn’t talk most of the time.” She stroked the little stuffed animal’s soft plush. “But he’s not here no more. They put him in the ground.” She said softly. She didn’t really know how to describe what happened. 

“Mommy used to not work and was always home. But now she gosa find a job an work an stuff. That’s why we moved. Mommy said we needed a smaller house and now we’re here.” She said looking down. 

“Mommy worries a lot. So I try to be good and quiet. I don’t want mommy to get more worried and sad.”

Brenda listened to her until she talked herself out, and then she smiled.

"I understand what you are thinking and doing," Brenda told her.  "I know your mommy really appreciates what you are trying to do, but you know, if you don't let your mommy know how you feel, it's hard for her, too.  Did you know that?  Your mommy most likely wants to know when you need something though, you know?"

She wasn't sure, but something seemed off about Michaela other than moving.  

Sure, her father dying was certainly a big stress factor, but it seemed like something even now was making it harder.  She looked up at the clock, and it was just five minutes before the final bell of the day.

"Well, why don't you go get your school things from your room, okay?"

She got up to take her to the classroom.

Michaela shrugged and nodded. She didn’t really know what to say. She just wanted to make her mother feel a little less stressed. She couldn’t really say that her mother had enough to worry about, without having to worry about how Michaela felt emotionally. 

When the counselor said it was time to go, she sighed and put the stuffed animal down on the seat where she had been sitting. She liked the comfort the toy gave her. She didn’t have that at school. 

Michaela grabbed her crutches and headed to the classroom with Brenda. Her backpack was very empty. She put the workbook she had been given into the bag and aside from a few papers and a folder, that was all she had. 

“I dunno if mommy’s friend gonna get me in the car or if we gotta walk to the bus.” She said to the counselor, really not sure how things would be going. Hopefully soon she’d be set up to ride the bus, most likely the shorter one that has the wheelchair lift, but for the moment it was either being picked up by the elderly couple, or walk to the bus stop. 

The elderly couple were on the way to the school to get her when a big accident happened.

The man was put in the hospital, and the woman had to call Sonya to let her know that she would need to take the bus to get her daughter herself because they were at the hospital.  At the moment, Sonya only had a key for their room, and not the rest of the house.

Therefore, Sonya phoned the school to tell them she would be late picking up her child and wondered if there was an after school program she could join until she got there.

"Miss Michaela, please come to the office," went over the intercom just as she reached the classroom.

The teacher smiled at her and let her go with her bag.

Once at the office, a woman that was watching some kids in the cafeteria reached out with her hand.

"Your mom is a little late coming to get you, so you have to come and spend some time in the after school care with me.  We are not charging your mother for this one off but we'll discuss arrangements with your mom later, okay?"

Michaela felt her throat get tight when she had to go to the office. Not again. 

She sighed and looked up at the woman, unsure what was going to happen. She didn’t like that her mother was late to get her, this was not what was supposed to happen. 

When the woman reached out her hand, Michaela frowned and stared at her crutches. It was hard to take somebody’s hand when she had to hold onto her crutches. She looked at the other kids who were running around and having fun and let out a sigh. She felt like an outsider again. 

“What am I supposed to do?” She asked the woman, unsure what this after school program was supposed to be. She’d never had to go to something like this before. 

"Well, first of you, do your homework," she said with a small smile.  "If you finish your homeowrk, then you can play with the other kids or you can find something fun to do at one of the tables.  We have coloring pages, beads crafts, and other things set up for you to do."

She smiled.

"If you start coming all the time, then we'll make you a folder and give you additional work to help you improve your reading and math skills."

“I don’t think I have homework. I don’t know.” Michaela said looking down. “It’s my first day. I’m new.” She said, feeling very confused and a little upset. Michaela liked her schedule and how things always were. But things were different and she didn’t have a schedule yet. 

She looked at the other kids and then looked down, she felt different from everyone else. She wished she could run like she used to. When her braces and crutches fit right and she was in physical therapy consistently, she could run almost as well as all the other kids, enough that at lest she could keep up. 

"Well, how about you go to one of the activity tables and try something there, okay?"

She took her bag from her.

"We'll put your bag over here with the other bags so you know where it is, okay?"

Sonya was panicking as she tried to catch the bus to get to her daughter as soon as she could.  This was a nightmare!  How could something happen to those kind old people?  And they were her only help at the moment, too!

Michaela nodded and sat at one of the tables, she tried to focus on her coloring page, but her mind couldn’t help but wander. She was worried about why her mother wasn’t at school yet and where she could possibly be. She also worried about what they’d do for dinner that night. Her braces were really starting to bother her. She needed to take them off and rest a little and do her exercises, but she didn’t have much room at home and didn’t want to do them in front of other kids. 

Suddenly, Michaela realized that she had stuffed half of her lunch into her pocket. She was hungry after crying and worrying. She looked around to make sure nobody was looking and started to try to eat discreetly but quickly, not wanting to get in trouble. She hoped her mother would show up soon. 

Some how, Michaela had gotten away with it for a while as the other kids sort of ignored her and went about their own activities.

A bit later, Imelda had finished her homework and looked around at the tables and then she saw Michaela!

She ran right over to her and took a seat.

"I didn't know you were in this program," she said.  "I only come when my parents are a little late, but they have a standing agreement, and I just come when I have to."

She looked at her friend's coloring page.

"That's pretty."

Michaela smiled a little at Imelda. She still was unsure of everything, but at least she seemed nice. 

“I don’t think I am.” She said with a shrug. “My mom is late to come get me so I’m supposed to be here.” She said honestly. She was still so confused about everything. 

“I dunno where she is.” Michaela wondered. “Maybe she missed the bus.” 

“Thanks.” She said with a small smile when the girl complimented her coloring. 

"She missed the bus?  That's aweful!" Imelda said patting her new friend's shoulder.  "So, you have to like ride the city bus or something?  I've ridden it a couple of times, and I really don't like it.  There are strange people that get on and sometimes, they can be scary."

She smiled at her.

"But can't the school bus take you home or to school?  I thought that's what it was there for."

She looked around the large room at what other people were doing while she talked to Michaela.

Sometime later, Sonya finally got to the school, and she came into the office out of breath.

After talking with the office staff some and whatnot, she found out that the after school care would be free for her because she had qualified for both free breakfast and free lunch for her daughter.  That would take some pressure off there, however, they also warned her that she would be looked in on with her situation to get a job because the school couldn't ignore it if she didn't have food or a place to live.  They had a place to live for now, though, so it wasn't a big problem yet.

Michaela shrugged. “I dunno. Probably.” She listened to Imelda and looked down at her lap. “I don’t like the bus either. I dunno if I can ride the school bus or not. I dunno much about the school at all, everything is so new and different.” 

Finally when her mother showed up, Michaela almost burst into tears. “Momma!” She exclaimed when she saw her. Michaela rushed over as fast as she could and hugged her mother so tight. It had been such a rough day for the both of them. 

“Are we going to the house now?”

"Yes, baby, we are going home now."

She hugged her daughter for a minute.

She then helped her get her bag and coat and then took her to get her chair.

"I want you to use your chair on the way to the bus stop, honey.  I was told you didn't use it all day, and I'm afraid you've tired yourself out, sweetie.  Besides, pushing your chair will be easier for me as I can put your stuff in the back of it, otherwise, we will both be burdened down because I'll have to carry your stuff for you plus the chair, and you really need a break from walking."

She smiled at her.

Michaela sighed but agreed. Her arms and legs were really tired and in pain. She figured using her chair on the way home wouldn’t be too bad. It’s not like she was at school and using it. 

She handed her mother her crutches once in her chair and got comfortable. “Momma can I take my braces off?” She asked hopefully. There was no real reason to wear them if she wouldn’t be walking. 

Michaela did feel better sitting in her chair. It was a pretty dark purple color and the smaller set of wheels lit up when it was moved. Because the chair was meant to be hers for a good set of years without needing a new one, it was a lot more comfortable than the crutches and braces and needed to be replaced after her growth spurt. 

"Yes, let's take them off, honey."

Sonja bent down and removed her braces for her and then she stored her walking aides in the tray under the chair.  She put her school things in the pouch in the back of the chair and hung her bag around the bars so she wouldn't have to carry them.  When she had helped her get into the chair, she noticed her daughter smelled and she also felt that her leggings were damp through her skirt when she was helping her get her braces off.  She decided not to bring it up though.  It was hard enough on her baby that she had peed her pants without making her think that she was going to get scolded over it as well.

Once she ready to go, Sonja started to push her daughter out of the school.

"I'm so sorry I'm late to get you," she told her once they were on the way to the bus.  "I was still job hunting, and the old people were supposed to pick you up, but they got into some kind of accident on the way, and I was called a bit late."

Michaela was happy to get a rest. Her legs were so sore. She got comfortable in her chair and looked around at the trees and such as they headed to the bus. 

She just wanted to get home and feel clean and ok again. 

“No!” Michaela shouted when she heard that the couple had gotten into an accident. She didn’t have much connection to the couple, but the fact that they had gotten into a car accident scared her. That’s how her daddy died. 

“Are they okay momma?” She asked uncertainly. She hoped that they would be ok. 

In reality they were both fine, but they’d be in the hospital for a bit, and after that they’d most likely stay with relatives to recover. But Michaela didn’t know that and it made her nervous. 

Sonja smiled and patted Michaela on the shoulder.

"They are okay, honey.  They weren't going as fast as daddy was.  They're just in the hospital because they are older, so their bones break a little easier, but they are not going to die, okay?"

She got her to the bus stop and then sat on the bench with her right next to her so they could talk.

"How was your first day, honey?"

Michaela nodded, relieved the couple was ok. She didn’t want anyone else dying that she knew. 

She stared at her lap when asked how her first day went. It didn’t go well at all. 

“I don’t like the school.” Michaela mumbled. “All the kids were mean to me. They kept making fun of me. And it’s so hard to move in the classroom. Everything is so close together.” She said sadly. She really hated how her first day had gone. 

Sonja frowned and sighed.

"I'm sorry to hear that, honey.  So, you didn't make any friends at all?"

She put an arm around her daughter.

"Things are hard here, I know.  I am having more trouble finding a job than I thought, too."

She saw the bus coming and stood up to get ready to take her daughter.  Hopefully, this was one of those lift busses that would let her load her daughter on in the wheelchair.

“I dunno.” Michaela said. “This one girl was nice to me.” She said quietly. 

She frowned when the bus pulled up. She could tell it didn’t have a lift. This meant that Sonya would have to either get Michaela on the bus and then the chair, or try and lift Michaela in the chair onto the bus. 

“Momma what are we gonna do? Do I gotta get out of my chair?”

Sonja frowned.

"Wait her a minute," she said.

She walked up to the bus front and spoke with the driver.

"My daughter has to use a wheelchair.  Is there a bus capable of handling a wheelchair coming soon?"

"Yes, that should be the next bus in about twenty minutes.  Our special services busses are limited, so we try to run it so that every other bus has special needs access on them."

"Thanks.  And it goes the same route?"

"Yes, it does."

Sonja nodded and went back to her daughter.

"No, you don't have to get out, honey.  We'll just wait for the next bus."

Michaela frowned. She was tired and wanted to go back to the house. 

She threw her head back and groaned a little. She just needed to get her frustrations out. 

“Momma are we always gonna have to ride the big bus?” She asked hoping it wasn’t the case. 

“Can I ride the school bus? Do we live too close?” Michaela asked, unaware she could qualify for the bus even if they lived too close, though that would have to be confirmed at her CSE meeting when that eventually came around. 

“Can I get out and sit in your lap momma?” She asked hopefully. She wanted to hug her mother so close and just hide.