LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Patient Rights Discussion Thread (Not Official)

I have Major Depressive Disorder, but thankfully I am on medication which works fairly well to control it. I don't know much about Bipolar Disorder, but I have read that it is much harder to treat than Major Depressive Disorder. I know that some psychiatrists are good, while other are not as good. The really sad thing is that those who are seriously mentally ill often can't change psychiatrists without permission from their current psychiatrist. That's why I support organisations which fight for patient rights. (I will not mention any organisations by name due to the fact that being talked about on an ab/dl website is not the best form of publicity.) I am also against laws which allow doctors to forcibly commit patients, due to the fact that this gives doctors too much power. I would like to hear your opinions on this matter, and please be as civil as possible, I don't want to start a "flame war."

I understand your concern about allowing the doctor too much say in the matter, but there has to be a way to *quickly* deal with patients that are at a significant chance of harming themselves or others. If a psychiatrist sees signs that a person might be heading toward a total meltdown, like shooting up a school or workplace full of people, wouldn't you hope the doctor could keep him safe until he's stabilized at least? That shouldn't depend solely on the approval of the patient, for everyone's safety.

Most States have a mechanism for emergency involuntary Psychiatric commitment, and these days it usually takes more than one Doctor to sign it off ;) 50 years ago here, two of your family members could conspire to have you committed and you'd be taken away for 90 days with no recourse. And when you got out they could do it all over again endlessly :o

Having a bipolar relative, the bipolar is hard to treat because when you are starting to fly, feeling above the top of the world, you really don't feel like you need meds. Never mind the approaching crash, you feel great! I mean, doesn't everybody like the idea of not *needing* drugs!

And yes, mental health care is abysmal, especially the inpatient variety...don't get me or anyone else started or we will fill your ears with unspeakable horrors!

Creepymouse, you're right about many Psychs being pill-pushers more than healers. And Dill Pickle, ditto that regarding the abysmal care involved, with both of these caused by the mindset of the Psychs being wrong regarding their work. If they cannot understand and solve their own problems then they certainly can't understand yours- or how to deal with them :o