LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

History Of Diapers

I have been doing some personal research into the ways how diapers have evolved over time, I am particularly interested in the ways parents dealt with mess and used some form of diapers in the 1920s and 30s in Europe. I came accross this rather interesting article, anybody familiar with it?

An interesting synopsis :thumbsup: It will be an issue as long as humans exist and while I wish for healthy babies and a healthy world, I would not like to see something better than diapers to come along and replace them somehow :whistling: Were such possible for babies, it would be possible for us older folk, and that would create even more distance from society than we have between us now :(And where would the pleasures of being ABDL come from without diapers? :o Well, at least for now I don't see that coming anytime soon B)

• 2 weeks later...

The whole idea of disposable diapers was to be "something better than diapers". They had been on the market since Playtex "Dryper". In the mid 1960's they started using "paper cloth", which was like Handi-Wipes". In fact in that timeframe there was made a distinction between diapers and "pampers"

Paper diapers did not become popular until the Baby Boomers reach family age. Their parents regarded them as both wasteful and filthy. In 1988, I got into a discussion with a Rhode Island State social workder whose job was to teach her clients economic sense and she was adament about disposables being wasteful, going into at length and that, even if you were going to use "pampers", rubber panties were still a must for the sake of hygiene. And she was younger than I was by about 7 years so she was no old fogie

Paper diapers waited for about 17 years to become prominent for the post-war prosperity to set in. The parents of Baby Boomers, on seeing this would say "you're too rich for your own good"

From what I read here. disposable diapers seem to have the same problems as AIO's, a kind of which they are, especially proper fit. Having 7 components; wetproof shell, bcking, pulp, SAP, elastics and tapes/"landing zone", as well as assembly of all of these. they are a feast for Murphy as well as being "fussy" to use. for the cloth diaper you have 3; diaper, pins and rubber panties and fit is easier to manage. Also with cloth, you care for them after you buy them so you know "where they've been". it is not a crapshoot each time you use one

So there probably is nothing better than diapers once you know what you are doing

• Like 1

I do not know if throw aways have gotten better on balance. They are more complicated meaning more prone to things going wrong and, harder to make fit right. As I have said elsewhere there have been more "boil Water" due to coloform bacteria contamination alerts over the last 40 years. Part of the fussiness of use is that they must be disposed of properly or they spread filth. The earlier ones were simply to be well rinced out then disposed of. Now I do not know if that is the case or if that can even be done. To me they just seem plain flimsy and untrustworthy. And, as I say, I have the word of a home ec social worker on the matter, who was both educated and with a good deal of experience in the field so I could not argue with her

It is possible that your parents got lazy or sick and tired of the work. Also they became more prosperous so they did not miss the money. Now, we are not so prosperous anymore and we are running out of space to put the things. Now, as we have become more casual about things, our standards of cleanliness have degraded. 50 years ago, a diaper accident was a cause for at least serious embarrassment at best for exposing excretia. Now it is treated as just an annoyance

Byond all of this, I have seen 3 "generations" of diapers: 1. flat-fold or homemade 2. prefold and 3. Throw-away

Also there are 3 "mission": Baby, children and adult. In 1952. the second two were not found on the open market but were specialty items and even until about 1970 that was the case I did not see my first pair of adult rubber panties until late 1963

• 4 months later...

It does not do a thing for me