LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Need Advice For Leaking Stoma Bag

I am asking for my 85 year old male relative who is otherwise in good health. He had his prostrate and bladder removed and a piece of his intestine now connects his kidneys to the outside to drain into a glued on drainage bag near his naval. I know a little about stoma care from caring for someone injured in a car accident --but 40 years ago. I am wondering if this is like diapers in that if one goes to a store the only thing he can buy is Depends or a generic brand but there are infinitely better options online.

His problem is leakage when the plastic part glued to his skin suddenly breaks loose flooding him. He uses a Holister brand paid for by medicare. He has to enlarge the center hole from guessing 5/8" to maybe 1 1/4". There is also a foam doughnut adhesive that has to

Perhaps the adhesive pad needs renewal sooner or a better adhesive.I have some experience with the Smith-Nephew Adhesive for prosthetics, but not with a Stoma connection. The product I used was supposed to be equivalent to Hollister adhesive and from what other's told me they were the same, but the S-N product was cheaper. The stuff I used needed to be renewed every 24-48 hours, and if there was no strain might last 72 hours but that was it. I would check with their health-care provider for more specific info on this.

Plus one to babykeiff :D We can try to help with our knowledge, but having a discussion with your medical team always comes first- they may see or know something you're missing which we can't see across the internet. Thus even our well-intentioned advice may not do you much good- or worse it may harm- and we don't want that to happen to our friends here ;).

Thank you everyone for your help. After posting I looked at the online catalogs and saw so many different products and I don't even know the exact model or style he uses. It looks like they are different enough that it needs professional knowledge to match the best model for a specific patient. At the time I thought the fitting process may be like how hospitals who one would expect to have the best quality diapers instead have the cheapest possible product; so following what the hospital uses is a poor choice. I am realizing now that I don't know enough to question any part of their continence program. You all have taught me that it is more complicated than simply buying from a different vender. It appears that the best advice as stated above is to have him go back to the doctor/nurse to get additional (or repeat) training to solve these problems. I have not visited him since asking the question and probably won't for another month, but I will urge him to go back to the doctor/nurse. It may be hard to get him to go despite his present problems, but it is the obvious right solution. Thanks everyone for careing.