LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

A Fresh Learning Experience

Guest Baby Rina

Guest Baby Rina

So... I have been cruising around on the internet finding both some ABDL and Steampunk outfits that i just simply adore... Most recently i found a Steampunk version of the 10th doctor's outfit redone as fem and just fell in love with it!! So i went down digging in my basement to find my grandmother's sewing machine ...

Its Singer model 301a and is older than my mum heh.. I spent the better part of 3 hours fiddling with it and trying to get it to run again. They sure made them to last back in the good old days it's a vintage single stitch but it actually after throwing a bunch of lubricant on the parts and removing stuck thread (might have been my fault) from the bobbin its actually running again. Still a bit slow to start though i have to manually crank the wheel a revolution or two before it gets going >.< But at the start of the evening it wouldn't turn at all so yay...

I haven't really done any sort of sewing at all since 7th grade Jr High and that was uhm *cough*15*cough* years ago so we're going to start off with something nice and simple before we dive into the awesesomness that i've seen online. Wish me luck ^.^

Also any tips and advice would be SO greatly appriciated.

Those old Singers were so great! :)

I've been sewing my own cloth pocket diapers (see gallery) for a while now, and have started to really get into the business side of things. If you'd like a great read, try checking out Kathleen Fasanella's blog; she has a wealth of great tips and technical information, and she speaks from industry experience. For example, I would have never thought cutting with rotary cutters to be so horrible...turns out a good pair of shears are really the way to go!

Anyway, I'm not sure what to offer as far as basic tips go, but that blog should prove quite resourceful! :)

Hey Rina,

Seriously, invest in a new machine if you are going to do steampunk. The extra stitches are so useful to getting garments that are going to be durable. The single stitch line can break so easily, and there are so many things you can do with the modern machines. The wife and i currently have a Singer Fashion Mate computerized machine. Instead of having to use cams or other knob fiddlings to get the stitch right, it's just a matter or choosing the stitch you want off the list printed on the front of the machine, and pressing the up keys until you get to it. It's completely uncomplicated. Here is a link to the one we have: http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-7256-Fashion-70-Stitch-Computerized/dp/B005HR1JMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338307163&sr=8-1

My wife went from completely inexperienced to making outfits that she could wear to conferences in a matter of a couple months. She did this by using Simplicity Patterns and she got a few beginner sewing books like Sewing in a Straight Line by Brett Bara and a few other beginner books that had her doing projects to learn how to do the different stitches before moving onto making garments. Simplicity makes a few steampunk patterns too, you can find them at Jo-Ann fabrics :) Also I totally agree that investing in a good pair of Shears is worth every penny. Gingher shears are probably a good place to look. You can get fiskers, but they don't last as long, and you can't have them re-sharpened when they dull as you can with Gingher shears.

Good luck!

Guest Baby Rina

The single stitch can break so easily? this thing is ALL STEEL i mean if you actually break you did something REALLY WRONG. Most issues can be solved some simple troubleshooting it'll get right back to work. Like i said in my first post i spent hours getting it all up and running again and now it really is running like a champ, though hard to start and i'm working on it. I'm looking at a couple of attachments for like a zigzag stitch, but i can also hand stitch when i need to.

a lot of those computerized sewing machines while looking nice and being able to do a lot of nifty stuff are also expensive as hell, and i would rather use what i've got rather than throwing down more money on a sewing machine for what may be a passing fad in me. if after 3 or 4 months i am still working on this stuff, i might buy a newer one...

EDIT: noticed you were referring to the stitching not the machine ... its before i had coffee >.> anyways hey if it worked well for my grandmother since i was built till she died... it'll prolly hold up long enough to only be a hobby and if i get more serious we'll see about that upgrade like i said.

Edited by Baby Rina

I've had 3 from different eras. We used a 1940's singer for making stuff for our wedding, and it was good for that, but that was just decorations. We used a 1970's Kenmore Sears brand for about a month before we got the computerized one when it was on sale for 150 bucks (plus free shipping, amazon prime, yo). The differences are tremendous, because the stitches are not the only thing that is different. The computerized tension knob ensures that the tension is right every single time. The feet on the machine feed wonderfully and don't catch. And the bobbin case is so much easier to use it amazes me that people were even able to use the old ones like what I had on the singer and the Kenmore.

When you get more into it, you will realize that the most important thing is an even stitch that comes out right the first time every time. I can't tell you how many times i've gone nuts having to take something apart time after time because the old machine wouldn't stitch things evenly and the stitch came out. Seriously, it's worth the investment.

Those old machines are better for some things than the newer ones.

Honestly, I think that the main beef people have with new machines over their older machines is stockholm syndrome. On the other hand, they were definitely made of more durable stuff back them. Then again, it's easier to get replacements for the stuff we have today when they do break down.

If I had to recommend a newer machine, I'd say go for an Elna or a Brother machine. They are more expensive, but they are definitely powerful and durable enough to handle anything you throw at them. From what I've learned, machines sold below $300 are generally not serviceable--especially the newer Singers (you cannot get replacement parts--you buy a new machine) as they are really made to be disposable machines. Expect to pay $400 at least for a new Elna or Brother--still cheaper than many of the electronic machines and with more power than your conventional consumer machine.

Guest Baby Rina

From what I've learned, machines sold below $300 are generally not serviceable--especially the newer Singers (you cannot get replacement parts--you buy a new machine) as they are really made to be disposable machine

I still think i'm going to stick with my old Singer, because even if she's not the belle of the ball she'll turn a few heads. And the stitch not coming out right or evenly sounds... sorta like an operator issue. I remember grandma sewing a LOT of stuff on this very machine before she died and ... I don't remember her taking out a whole lot of stiching or a whole lot of bitching, evidently she knew what she was doing and it can be done... I use her recipies in the kitchen because they taste awesome, i'm going to trust her judgement on this too and use it until i decide that i need one of those new fangled high tech computerated devices... or learn how to do it on what i've got and not sigh whistfully about what i might have been able to have

....When you get more into it, you will realize that the most important thing is an even stitch that comes out right the first time every time. I can't tell you how many times i've gone nuts having to take something apart time after time because the old machine wouldn't stitch things evenly and the stitch came out. Seriously, it's worth the investment.

You're so right! I did work with an old single-stitch for a short time and had more trouble than I could stand :bash: I lurked on Craigslist for my current analog machine but it has several stitches and spacings, is easier to thread (especially the bobbin) and I got it 2 years old and slightly used for $80 :girl_happy: It was almost 4 times that new and worth every dime. I did my research online first and found it was a good machine before I bought it, and any potential buyer should too ;) Some of the 'best' machines have known issues and some work fine but the other things you need to do common stitches (hardware and software) can eat your piggy bank alive :crybaby: There's even a well-known over-hyped brand that previous owners will tell you to stay away from. It's buyer beware in sewing machines these days more than ever!

Bettypooh