LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

The Nanny State: A Doctor Who Story

JDL23

Double post for the last two chapters today. Thanks for reading, everyone! Remember you can find the whole story at Fanfiction.net.

---

Fourteen

A pair of City Security agents flank the Doctor and Minister Hanna as they cross a well-lit threshold and enter a workstation on Level Twenty, Block Hass, Subsection Ftar--otherwise known as the Kheva Academy of Science and Engineering. The workstation is a cubicle in a row of seventeen stations in a vast hallway; like the others, it's filled with bits of technology, holographic readouts, and a touchscreen on the table.

The Doctor frowns at the touchscreen. Someone had drawn several interlocking circles in black marker on the surface. Though the Sestrans wouldn't understand, he recognizes the pattern as Gallifreyan, which only makes him feel worse about the situation.

"'Hello, Doctor,'" he reads quietly. "Never my friend, but always friendly, aren't you?"

"Doctor, what is it--?" Hanna stops when he lifts his hand and taps the touchscreen. Unsurprisingly it turns on at his touch.

The Minister and the Security agents lean over his shoulders to watch a video recording appear on the screen. The face that comes on is that of a male Sestran, but the Doctor can tell something about him is fake. The skin around the eyes doesn't seem real enough. And he could recognize that ghastly smile anywhere.

"Sorry you just missed me, Doctor," says the Master. He leans forward, his grin widening. "And if this recording's playing, I know you're the one watching. Don't bother trying to trace me through it. I had more than enough time to cover my tracks while you were off chasing that treasure chest."

He leans back and claps his hands together, mocking the Sestran salute. "Oh and I also took my blueprints for the kybertine virus and the sonic stockade with me. Deleted the originals. I doubt the Sestrans will be needing them anymore."

The Doctor stares at the screen. His stomach goes tight at the thought of what that implies. He's seen what the virus and the stockade could do to an entire species. He can only imagine in horror what they could do to an entire universe...

"I really couldn't have done it without you," the Master continues gleefully. He lifts a sonic stockade into view. "It was the Archangel Network all over again. I knew you'd find the same way around it as before. I was counting on it. But the stockade's just a toy. It's the virus that's important and this waterworld was the perfect testing ground. All I needed was you and your companion to show up."

The Doctor slams his fist against the touchscreen. His anger with the Cabinet was mere irritation compared to the helpless rage that burns within his chest. The Sestrans draw back from him immediately.

The Master casually tosses the sonic stockade over his shoulder, letting it crash somewhere off-screen. "Well, I must be going now, Doctor. I'd say it's been fun, but I think we both know..." He winks and adds in a lower octave, "The fun's just beginning."

And with that, the message ends.

---

Veronica is waiting inside the TARDIS when the Doctor and Hanna finally show up. The way the Doctor walks with such a miserable expression, you'd think he was still trapped in the sonic stockade. He manages to lean onto one of the consoles around the Cloister Bell and starts flipping a few switches; the interior of the vessel begins to hum with rising power in a way that Veronica now finds familiar. Comforting, even.

She supposes he takes comfort in it, too. It is his home, after all.

"Hanna, I'm leaving you an encrypted frequency that you and the Premier can use to contact me," the Doctor says quietly. He doesn't bother to look away from the controls. "If you discover anything vital about his plans or anything about containing the virus, let me know right away."

"Of course, Doctor." Hanna walks past him as he continues to fiddle with the controls. She comes up to Veronica and smiles with embarrassment. "Well, Miss..."

Veronica smiles and shakes her head. "Oh, I think we're beyond 'Miss' now."

The Governess nods and suddenly enfolds the younger woman in a hug. Veronica returns it, trying to commit every detail of this moment to memory. The warmth of her body, the smooth texture of her jumpsuit and cloak, and the strong arms encircling her. She hasn't felt such warmth and affection since her mom left, though the Doctor--bless his heart--has tried his best.

As they pull away, Veronica looks up into Hanna's eyes. "And don't forget. You can use that same channel if you ever want to chat."

Hanna nods again and touches her on the cheek. "I'll remember, Veronica dear. Thank you for everything, and may your journey bring you fortune."

Veronica puts her hands on the nearest console and watches the former Governess leave the TARDIS. The door shuts quietly and soon the Cloister Bell is ringing and everything starts vibrating. She rushes to take the nearest chair and waits.

The Doctor emerges from the other side of the Cloister Bell, looking down at his sonic screwdriver like it's an old friend--which she knows full well that it is. When he looks up at her, he smiles and ducks his head like an embarrassed teenager.

"It's a long way back to Earth," he explains, sticking his screwdriver into his pocket. "Have you got enough, er, supplies for the trip?"

"Plenty of underwear changes, rest assured."

"Oh, good." The Doctor walks closer and puts his hand on her shoulder. "Hate for you to be inconvenienced."

Veronica grins. "Listen to yourself. You're turning into a nanny, too."

"Am not!" He pulls back, sounding offended despite the casual grin on his face. "I'll have you know, Veronica Hyde, that I was once a grandfather. I've forgotten more about family matters than you'll ever know!"

"I'll bet you have, old-timer."

He throws up his hands in mock despair. "Humans, these days! No respect for the elder races! Why, I could tell you a thing or two about a lovely young woman named Susan who used to travel with me--and she wasn't that much older than you either..."

And so they go, sharing their stories and patching up their wounds as the TARDIS travels ever onward.

THE END

What a fantastic journey! Thanks so much for your work on this story. It's been amazing.

You've left yourself wide open for the next episode...we can always hope...

Thanks for the story :). It may have ended on a somewhat kinder note than I usually prefer, but it was still very good, and I look forward to anything which you may write next. It also got me to finally watch Doctor Who which made a few friends very happy, so win-win. ;)

• 3 months later...

I really enjoyed your story, it was very well written and really evoked the feeling of the show, I think you've got some skills there :) I hope there will be a sequel, we need the obligatory bit where the MAster gets hoisted by his own petard, or in this case the kybertine virus :)

• 4 months later...

Wow! i can't believe i didn't read this story months ago as a whovian i love it!.

It's so cool the way you made your doctor an original (and ginger to boot) great job.

I did read another Dr. Who story i think it was on the AR Archive.

The writing was pretty good but it was very Very! short yours on the other hand was like a real episode.

Again great job JDL your one of my favorite writers a big thank you for sharing.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...