LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Anniversaries, Emergencies, And Baby Food

Today was my one year anniversary of being with my Daddy and wonderful Fiance. This morning I got up to answer the door, and there were a huge bouquet of pink lilies, pink daisies, pink babies breath, red roses, and a balloon with pink flowers saying Happy Anniversary, along with a little card. That's the good part.

The bad part is I couldn't open my mouth more than a fingerwidth. I made a cake last night for today, and tried a slice for breakfast. It took an hour. I've been having pain in my jaw a couple of days and it had gotten far worse overnight. So after spending a few hours talking on the phone through my teeth, I found a dentist who takes my insurance. My dental insurance only covers emergencies, and this was definitely one. They took one look at the x-rays and said "those have to go now!". They were referring to my wisdom teeth, which came very late at age 24, 25, and 26 respectively, and one of which grew in forward instead of up, in the next tooth's gum space so there's essentially a gap of air going all the way down to my jaw bone. The root had grown into the connective tissue behind there between upper and lower jaw, and was causing inflammation and a lot of swelling, hence the pain. The one above it had punctured my cheek a week ago, as it grew in sideways. They were afraid that one or the other would get infected soon, so they told me they would be removing them as soon as the surgeon was back in the office (tomorrow), and also taking the other two on the other side as a precaution, even though one hasn't even come through yet. So, I have to have very unexpected surgery on four separate parts of my mouth. They did give me a script for extra strength Vicodin to tide me over to tomorrow though. What an anniversary present huh?

This leads in to my third point. We were going to go to a nice dinner tonight, but since I can't eat hardly at all, I was gotten an ice cream shake and I cooked Spaghetti for the rest of the family. I was content until I smelled what I was cooking. Yum! I was nearly heartbroken I couldn't have it. Then I got a bright idea. Babies can't chew food, so we cut it up for them. Why not mince it up like stage 3 toddler food and try to eat it like that? :) Worked like a charm. It's still slow eating, but tasty! That got me thinking. After the surgery I won't be allowed solids for about 3 days or so. I'm not a fan of eating lots of jello and pudding, and that's not exactly wholesome to have every meal. I'm not exactly an AB, more of a little girl, but why not just get some stage 2 or 3 baby food and eat that? I mean, it's soft, it has no added sugar, and I even like several of the flavors. Have any of you had oral surgery and tried that? Since I'm having 4 done at once with only local anesthesia (stupid insurance won't pay for any other kind) do any of you have any other advice? I've never had oral surgery before and two of the teeth will have complications coming out because they're in there at such extreme angles and impacted. Is there anything other than the painkillers which will help with the pain that I should do or avoid doing? They're doing it at noon tomorrow... it's all happening so fast I haven't had time to prepare...

Well..happy anniversary anyways....

I had all 4 of mine pulled way back when I was 17 or so, and didn't have really any issues other then normal stuff like a bit of swelling and soreness for about a week etc. I had stitches and they didn't give me any drugs (that I remember) for discomfort. They just said that if it starts to hurt, do a rinse with warm salt water (yummy) a few times a day.....which worked. I had my stitches pulled in a week, and that was it.

Your issues might be more extreme, so more pain or discomfort. Personally I would opt for just getting knocked out, and pay the difference. depending on the difficulty of the surgery, it might make things better for both you and the surgeon, but thats just me. I know that no one WANTS to pay for anything anymore, tats what insurance is for blah blah blah, but sometimes it's just a better choice. Vs any other alternative. Something to think about.

They knocked my butt out for the procedure, no local stuff here :P I could refer you to my dentist if you want, he pretty dang good....and my hygienist is a cutie! :wub: but alas..married :(

Anyways....hope things work out, hang in there, it wont last forever. Some drugs can be your friend ;)

Can't afford paying for any extras, I just paid the rent ($1,200... California is frikin expensive!) and car payment/insurance, and several other bills, broke til friday and they want money up front for that. I can't delay the surgery because of risk of infection with the open wound on my cheek, and the rate and location my mouth is swelling up at could begin to interfere with breathing. They would have done the surgery today had the surgeon been in. Believe me, if I got a choice in getting knocked out I would do it! I'm already paying out of pocket for my medical doctor because the ones covered by my insurance didn't care enough to find out why I was sick, and it turns out I needed thyroid medicine and hormone replacement therapy. I'm not usually a chicken but this is scary because I know the teeth aren't going to come out easy. But, I went through an emergency C-section with only a faulty epidural, that surgery lasted 2 hours and I could feel everything (like a foot that has fallen asleep times 10 and inside your guts) and survived, so I'm sure I'll survive this. It can't feel as horrible as that!

do you have medical insurance? i ask because sometimes medical insurance will cover the anesthesia as it is considered surgical... if you have medical call and ask.. my medical covered my putting to sleepness, and my dental covered my extraction so i only had like a $50 copay.

you can also just ask if they will finance part of it for you due to your situation. They can't be all that heartless! unless they think that you might die or something and not pay up :P (kidding) It might be just worth asking. I have had to do that with my dentist also since I don't have insurance and pay for everything myself :blush: it is what it is, I had to make payments etc. I just had an exam and xrays and that was almost $300 and I have to go back to have a couple of old fillings rebuilt etc...fun fun fun. Not looking forward to it thats for sure.

Anyways, good luck tomorrow... see if they let you keep you rteeth as a trophy or something, for your bravery ;)

I do have medical insurance, sucky as it is. It's worth asking I suppose. I'm getting nervous about it... like I said this is really sudden. I have known that they would eventually have to be removed but I wasn't prepared for them suddenly causing problems and having to be yanked out with less than 24 hours notice. When I was 20 I was told they would never emerge and I wouldn't need them to be removed, 4 years later they began coming in and now they are a serious problem. I haven't had any dental coverage for things like cleanings and preventative checkups because they consider that "cosmetic"(which is stupid, you'd think preventative checkups would save them (insurance companies) money in the long run!)so I haven't seen a dentist since then because I've had healthy teeth and not much extra money. I don't think I'll keep my teeth, a reminder of the unpleasantness they caused me is unnecessary lol. Besides, two of them will probably be in pieces in order to get them out. Thanks for the well wishes everybody :) I'm not usually a chicken about dental procedures but multiple location surgery is scary. I am strangely looking forward to an excuse for getting to eat toddler food though :blush:

I had my wisdom teeth cut out years ago.Only 3 of them 1 never showed up.Doctor told me soup BROTH no solid food at all for 2 days. So check if baby food is ok. I used the old trick of holding ice in my hand to kill the pain till the pain pill kicked in & slept on the couch sitting up with my head on a pillow on the back of the couch. If I laid down it hurt bad if I didnot. I feel for you;there is NO PAIN like a tooth ache.

oww. oww owie . I sorry about this . are you just getting novicaine?

dentists really are not good about insurance . I have medicaid and there are only two dentists clinics in all the city who take it .

maybe you could take some vikodin just before the apppointment . how will you be taking the pills ?

I will be thinking of you .

I feel for you, thankfully my dentist said my jaw had plenty of room and he was right, all my wisdom teeth came in correctly and without any pain. I did eventually get cavities in the back of the top ones, but it's not the end of the world.

I inherited my mother's "self-root-canal" teeth. When we get cavities, our teeth naturally calcify the nerve canal and the nerve retreats out of the tooth. It's cool! :) I've been fortunate to have excellent teeth besides the damage I've caused by grinding them. (I use them as tools too much, cutting and biting fingernails and such.)

Ouch, sorry about your teeth! As far as the baby food bit - I'd recommend not buying the baby food in jars...It's expensive, and not everything tastes good. Try making your own most of the time, and saving the jarred stuff for treats. Good luck at the dentist!

~ moogle

My goodness! It's a good thing they referred you to a maxillofacial surgeon! You need to FIND the money somewhere because this can quickly become a life-and-death matter in that situation. I hate it when I have to "find" money for medicine, because I'd much rather buy, oh, a car payment, food, or diapers;) Also there have been some studies linking oral infection to cardiac problems. Get it fixed ASAP! (I think I can safely speak for others saying: ) We don't want you hurting any more or have anything bad happen to you!

For the tooth pain, see if they'll prescribe MS-Contin if you can swallow a pill (morphine sulfate extended release) in fact I'd recommend it for after surgery as well because it's one of the few things that works WELL for me. Maybe you have a doctor that has the guts to write for Laudanum if you are somehow allergic to MS-Contin. A (couple of) word(s) of caution if you do get these meds: They can constipate you really bad. They can be addictive. (But studies have shown narcotics are a lot less likely to be addictive if used to treat physical pain and are weened instead of sudden discontinuation of use.) In liquid forms, they are EXTREMELY bitter tasting (with a subtle after-note of fish just to your olfaction).

OK my $0.02 are over. Feel better soon :.(

Well, I'm out. Apparently my dentist doesn't even offer sedation, just local. They discovered infection in the cheek and connective tissue so they could only pull the one wisdom tooth that was causing that this time around. I have to take antibiotics and go back in two weeks for the surgery on the other three. dog, it's not an issue of finding money for medicine or the procedures, that's covered. I'm having the surgery done regardless. It doesn't matter anyway, since I don't get an option of being knocked out for it I don't have to worry about paying extra for that. They gave me more Vicodin for after, can't complain about that. Morphine is unnecessary for me, basic opioid meds work fairly well for me. I can't take Ibuprofen or other NSAID's so narcotic type pain meds are the only viable option, since Tramadol has zero effect on me. So anyway, I came through today's extraction fine, the offending tooth came out no problems. It does suck that I'm going to have to go in again in 2 weeks for the big surgery, and my face is all swelled up now, but what can ya do? It has to be done, and I'll feel tons better when it's all over. I sound like I'm 2 when I try to say big words lol. Thanks for the tips guys! Mah head's all spinny, I'm going to go rest a while :)

It depends on your surgeon, but last time I had to be cut ibuprofen and aspirin (pretty much all NSAIDs) were forbidden because they thin blood and my surgeon was worried about extra bleeding. Tylenol/paracetamol/acetaminophen is useless for me and a lot of people. I am also partial to morphine because it is easier on the system and can in some cases be an anti-inflammatory... I've always had a bias against synthetic opioids, but that's a long story. If they have to go "digging" for the teeth, the bleeding could be bad. Either way stay safe and get well soon.

I do prefer more natural forms as well but I am familiar with and can tolerate well the specific effects of Vicodin. I know how much I can take and how to prevent withdrawal when going back off it. Acetaminophen does nothing for me either by itself. The dentist I go to seems to have very rigid procedures, and the only options offered are Ibuprofen or Vicodin. I can't complain, the surgeon I saw today was very brisk and efficient. I asked to be informed what he was doing as he went along to prevent me getting panicky from not knowing what was happening, and he did just that. "We're doing this, now this, now you're done! Are you allergic to anything? Ok, no NSAIDS so we'll give you this and this, can you take them? Ok, I'll write your script and you'll be free to go. You'll come back in a week to check healing and again in another to remove those other three teeth. Any questions?" It was pretty cut and dried, not particularly personal but they actually listened to what I said and handled me in a professional manner. I was given instructions on after care by an assistant, a paper copy of the instructions, and a copy of xrays that I'd asked for. I asked at various points what options I had for various things, but the only choices I was really given in anything at all was what medicines to take. If it had been a normal visit for a cleaning or an elective procedure I'm sure it would have been different but being an emergency situation it was pretty much just complying with how they thought it done best. Oral infections are no joke. I dislike being told what to do, but I don't know much about dental procedures so I let them. All this has happened so fast...