LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Nursing Homes Make You Incontient?

"At the hospital, the patient was not incontinent, never had accidents and was able to sleep and live without wearing diapers, just like in the regular world. Then the hospital transferred the patient into a good nursing home so that she could get short-term therapy for an injury to her left leg. She would need the therapy, physical therapy in order to learn to walk again. She now had the use of only one leg."

http://ezinearticles.com/?Nursing-Home-Alert---Big-Time-Alert-Of-Diapers-And-Nursing-Homes&id=1179930

"At the hospital, the patient was not incontinent, never had accidents and was able to sleep and live without wearing diapers, just like in the regular world. Then the hospital transferred the patient into a good nursing home so that she could get short-term therapy for an injury to her left leg. She would need the therapy, physical therapy in order to learn to walk again. She now had the use of only one leg."

http://ezinearticles.com/?Nursing-Home-Alert---Big-Time-Alert-Of-Diapers-And-Nursing-Homes&id=1179930

about the author: taken directly from the bottom of this article

Melinda Thomas is an author who has read and studied psychology for many years. And has attended courses in one of the largest cities in America.

My lord you mean she has actually attended courses? i like how it doesn't say what these courses are in.. one is taken to assume they are in psychology.. and one of the largest cities in america... but where? i mean some shabby community college no one has heard of?

remember people do not believe everyone you read on the internet.

• Like 1

well I kinda believe it, I used to work in grocer/supply service, and I would deliver to some nursing facilities and Mental hospitals. and both of those places ordered lots of pureed food, and many many tena diapers. and one time I delivered to a Nursing home in Winters, TX and there was only one nurse for 20 patients.

The phenomenon described by the person who wrote the article is true in some places. It's not all that unusual that patients who are unable to ambulate will be put into diapers for the convenience of staff. There are also some nursing homes which have sweeping policies that affect everyone there, it really all comes down to the director of the home.

While it may seem wrong, some retirement homes diaper patients for ease and for safety. Some places are under staffed and a nurse cannot always respond promptly to a toilet request. Between assisting patients, dispensing meds and responding to emergencies some nurses don't even have time to take a potty break themselves. So it may be deemed easier to diaper the patient and change them at scheduled times.

Where safety is concerned, every time the patient gets out of bed they risk a fall. With old age and frail bones a fall could lead to a broken hip, which requires expensive surgery and rehabilitation. In our sue-happy society it could also lead to a long legal battle. So diaper the patient and avoid the risk.

In some situations diapers are simply a logical choice. Don't judge it as wrong until you have hconsidered both sides of the story. Generally children and adults who cannot make it to the bathroom promptly and safely on their own are diapered, why should this line of thinking be differed for the elderly?

• Like 1

Regardless of how true the information presented by the article may be, I did notice a few things about the article itself and the website it's on that might be important.

For one thing, the site is called EzineArticles.com and it's basically a site for freelance article writing, like Suite101.com. You don't necessarily have to be an actual expert to write an article in the site's "Healthcare Systems" category. Another thing that caught my attention was the fact that the words "diapers" and "nursing home" are repeated ad nauseum. This isn't so much bad writing as a cheap form of search engine optimization, so that when someone does a Google search for "diapers+nursing homes," this article is guaranteed to be on the first page of results. The author also tries to grab the reader's attention with bold words and repetitive CAPITALIZATION, which is not so much the approach of an official publication, but handy if you're trying to draw in casual online viewers.

Like I said, this isn't necessarily about the claim of the article, but its format. I leave the judgment of its content up to my peers. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

about the author: taken directly from the bottom of this article

Melinda Thomas is an author who has read and studied psychology for many years. And has attended courses in one of the largest cities in America.

My lord you mean she has actually attended courses? i like how it doesn't say what these courses are in.. one is taken to assume they are in psychology.. and one of the largest cities in america... but where? i mean some shabby community college no one has heard of?

remember people do not believe everyone you read on the internet.

LOL Sarah.

A bit OT, but it reminds me to this politician from my hometown, who now is one of the leading people of Germanies middle left wing party. The guy left school, never actually worked in a trade and directly went into politics. Once his party seemingly found, that unemployed without further education doesn't look too good for a politician. So they made him signing up at a college. The guy rarely attends courses and has not made any degree in the past 8 years but calls himself "politics-scientist" now just because he still is signed into college

Edited by Andy
  • 4 weeks later...

I have seen much worse at nursing homes.

I was a EMT for 30 years and worked for a transport ambulance. we transported patents from nursing homes to hospitals for care and appointments.

About three to 4 times a year i had to report nursing homes to the state.

Calif has some of the strictest laws covering nursing homes and there staffing in the country.

I even got two of the staff at one taken away in handcuffs.

Yes i believe stories like this one until proved otherwise.

In this case i checked further and found the author is Melinda Thomas MS Senior Policy Advisor Rhode Island Department of Health.

But i also believe the article was dressed up and posted on the internet by someone else.

(bold type and caps added by the poster)