LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Embarrassed By A Nurse

Same for my GF and I.

I drive if we go anywhere that isn't "local". I'm just much more comfortable on freeways and having a generally OK knowledge of where we're going. But she's an important role as I make her watch for exits and what-not.

Same for my GF and I.

I drive if we go anywhere that isn't "local". I'm just much more comfortable on freeways and having a generally OK knowledge of where we're going. But she's an important role as I make her watch for exits and what-not.

That's what we do... I hate freeway driving but am good at navigation when given instructions.

Just like to add that in a lot of areas people seem to believe that psychological problems are "all in our heads" lately, don't know how this trend got reborn but it's here to. I think the only reason they gave me Medicaid and Medicare is because I was given "experimental" drugs when I was young and due to recent developments it's been shown to cause serious health and mental issues later in life, can't remember the name of the med anymore I try to forget that horrible part of my life. To add insult to injury though, here they have closed down all state funded psych hospitals because the politicians didn't think there was any need, now they're all in the shelters.

On an added note to demonstrate how backwards we are in psychological medicine, many hospitals still use "shock treatment" for disorders. Yeah, that's smart huh? Electrocute the part of the body we understand the least about.

Didn't think there was any need? Have they had THEIR heads checked? Great good gods what do they use for minds, dried peas? Of course, since I moved here, I have been completely unable to get mental health care, as the only facility that takes state insurance never, ever answers their phone. Always get a busy signal, no matter what time of day. It would be nice if I could get an up to date listing of their hours at least so I can find it in person! I ran out of medicine, thank goodness I'm stable and in a good situation. My case files never got transferred, lost in the aether, so to them, I don't exist. My case manager ditched on me last winter, and never transferred my paperwork to the last clinic I was supposed to go to. The doctor worked at both at the time, so I was still seen up until June. I tried many times to initiate the file transfer, and was always told "right away! We'll send it over this afternoon... tomorrow... etcetera I can't believe it hasn't been done already!" Only it would never get there. Somebody sat on her aft all day eating donuts and gossiping and never bothered to do her job. So, I am lost in the cracks. On the bright side, I am learning natural ways of balancing out. Thanks to my close relationship with my body most of the time I see things coming far enough ahead that I can adjust life accordingly so that it does not make a big impact. That is ultimately the goal therapists and medicine are supposed to achieve anyway, symptom regulation and learning to adapt properly. My last doctor always did say I surprised him often with my self-awareness and willingness to learn and adapt. I told him I didn't see any other way to survive the kind of crap I've been through. He did everything he could to see that I got well, trusted me enough to make decisions about what would and would not go in my body, including defying what his nurses told me he would do when I called in to get 3 months of refills to go on vacation. They said "he doesn't do that without a visit, and you aren't supposed to have that many refills of (X)." I politely and firmly asked them to relay my exact message, and sure enough, I had my refills in 24 hours... for 4 months. One in a million doctor... this is the one reason I'd like to be back in Missouri. I doubt I'll ever find one as good here.

Isn't it great when people who aren't even paying for their healthcare have the guts to whine and complain about how they feel they were treated and the lack of privacy in an ER room overflowing with patients? So you want all this privacy, which would mean building a bigger hospital, which you wouldn't be paying for, and then also have better more understanding doctors that haven't been dealing with a thousand ER patients during their 14 hour shift they're on but then won't pay for those people either as you're not paying for insurance. The state is and in turn the people who are actually working are paying for your insurance and those people have too probably pay for their own insurance out of pocket even though they have a job. You should be lucky others have a job so that you can go to a hospital and not have to pay for it. Disability, yeah, everyones got one of those. :screwy: You can sit here and play on your computer all day and complain about your experience but too disabled to even answer a phone at a call center I suppose. Nice, I love the way the government works.

Now, off to work to pay for your insurance and medical care your going to whine about here. Enjoy your time off. I hope to get a vactation here sometime to get a day off.

• Like 2

Actually, we do pay for that health care thank you very much! My boyfriend and I pay over 20,000 a year in taxes and social security. The ONLY reason I am on state insurance is because until we are married, his employer won't cover me. And I DO work, just not your traditional 9-5 job. I have a home based business of my own, and I am also a full time mom and battling back to back physical illnesses. If you don't think that is work, buddy I'll be GLAD to give you a week in my shoes. Before you go making assumptions about me, you might wanna check your damn facts.

umm actually electric shock treatments HAVE been shown to have a positive effect on people with severe depression... and these people CHOSE to undergo the therapy, its not like it used to be where everyone was just strapped to a table and zapped. Just like lobotomies ARE still performed, because for SOME people it is the only option...

as for the hospital and all this suing.. anyone ever been in an er when multiple victims are being brought in from an ambulance after a bad car crash, they are yelling out names, dates, vitals etc.... in an emergency room no doctors and nurses should not be sharing written information, but there can not be much expectation of privacy when you are lying 5 feet from another patient with just a thin curtain between people.... so while you would expect your written information to be ptoected.. you are telling the doctor or nurse your symptoms without the expectation of much privacy, and they are going to be conveying that information to others in the same setting in which you shared it....

Isn't it great when people who aren't even paying for their healthcare have the guts to whine and complain about how they feel they were treated and the lack of privacy in an ER room overflowing with patients? So you want all this privacy, which would mean building a bigger hospital, which you wouldn't be paying for, and then also have better more understanding doctors that haven't been dealing with a thousand ER patients during their 14 hour shift they're on but then won't pay for those people either as you're not paying for insurance. The state is and in turn the people who are actually working are paying for your insurance and those people have too probably pay for their own insurance out of pocket even though they have a job. You should be lucky others have a job so that you can go to a hospital and not have to pay for it. Disability, yeah, everyones got one of those. :screwy: You can sit here and play on your computer all day and complain about your experience but too disabled to even answer a phone at a call center I suppose. Nice, I love the way the government works.

Now, off to work to pay for your insurance and medical care your going to whine about here. Enjoy your time off. I hope to get a vactation here sometime to get a day off.

You are really ignorant, extremely ignorant. Disabilities that prevent one from working are very different than say, thinking you're the smartest person in the world. Tell you what, you want more people to start working then vote to have the education programs funded again, it was people just like you who basically made it impossible for anyone after 30 to change careers without being a millionaire. So thank you for putting people in that spot in the first place. Not to mention you really seem to be as clueless as the government of how Social Security Disability was suppose to work, but then, you probably benefited from the many hands dipping into it to pay for government contracts that produced nothing for out country to pay it back. The whole thing is a mess, and it's not the people who need it's fault for this, it's people who voted the morons in charge. I will laugh when you need it ... and it's not there at all ...because you think it's all a scam. ;) I use to think it was a scam to, but I'm glad I learned my lesson young.

• Like 1

In those circumstances Sarah, I wouldn't expect any verbal privacy. However, it was calm and quiet, and no-one was rushing around to treat patients. I would have liked them to at least use hushed tones, the same level which I told them at, if they must discuss that in front of everyone. They were in the hallway, and I was in the back of a triage room. Real walls between us. I shouldn't have been able to hear them so very clearly. I'm not a specimen, I'm a human, and I deserve at least some level of respect. I would have understood if they were within 20 feet of me. What's done is done... so I will let it rest. They are only human too.

In some cases, electroshock therapy works and it does still remain a useful last resort treatment, but it is still over-used, especially in aggressive and psychotic patients. I have seen some of the persuasion techniques used on desperate patients... in a few of those cases I can't say I believe it was truly of their own free will. Then again, everywhere in the world you will find a few cases in all kinds of medical treatment where a patient is treated poorly, or coerced into something he or she would never consent to if sound of mind. Heck, I don't know how many times I was told I would take this or that medicine or I would be refused treatment. I got very sick from two of them. The entire health care system is broken from the inside out, and the new legislation will only make it worse. One reason I don't sue... it worsens the overall problem. Oh I think about it sometimes, when I know I have been wronged, but ultimately it will cause more problems for others, and I don't want the money. I just want an apology, the wrongdoer to be punished appropriately, and fair treatment.

Lol spoonchicken... It is indeed la la land.

In three weeks you can, hopefully, vote to correct some of the mistakes made in Washington, DC. Hope you feel better soon. Doctors practice because they don't really know what they are doing.

and Ryan23... I'm not going to get all political (and I don't think you ought to either), BUT the issues the OP is talking about has NOTHING AT ALL to do with recent healthcare legislation. IF ANYTHING, its about the need for reform. Please stop taking random issues and drawing your own lines to lead to one political point of view. This attitude taken by you and MANY (some of both parties) is what the PROBLEM is with this nation right now. Let's stop false, inaccurate, misleading statements to support fear politics.

• Like 1

Little Faerie:

I just read the string of events on your awful experience. I want to concur with the recommendation that you write a complaint letter to the president of the hospital or hospital system that you visited. It should not be hard to find out the name and mailing address. And, unless the person or system is populated with similar morons to the physician that attended to you, the addressee will read the letter and initiate an inquiry. Most often, you would expect a personal contact. (at least in Michigan you would)

Your source of insurance or method of payment should not affect the quality of your care. But, as you duly noted many private physicians will not accept you as a new patient. Also, ask your pharmacist if the use of juices are compatible with your antibiotic or other medications that you might be taking. Some can be affected by cranberry or grapefruit juice. Just a precautionary thought. And as the humorists say, "50% of the doctors are below average" My favorite is that the medical student that scores only one point higher than a failing grade on the state medical examination is still called "Doctor".

Rat

Thanks for your concern packrat. I checked... cranberry is ok with Nitrofurantoin (oi that's a mouthful!). I'm quite familiar with grapefruit juice clashing with medicines... I have been denied my delicious grapefruits for years due to it. I am now off the medicines that disagree with it and can have them again! As a foodie, this makes me very happy.

Unfortunately, I was not attended by a physician at all when I visited the hospital. I briefly saw a Nurse Practitioner, and didn't even get a good enough look at her nametag to remember her name. My visit was handled by nurses and mostly by aides. Granted, my complaint was pretty cut-and-dry... pee in a cup, wait for results. I knew what I had, I just had to get confirmation and medicine. Most likely, since I didn't see with my eyes which nurse or aide I overheard, my complaint would be lost in the greater wash of paperwork hospitals are swamped with.

I appreciate all the advice guys... it's good to know regular people still care about what happens to themselves and others, even if we live in a world where the people who control us (I.E. corporate a-holes and politicians) don't give a crap about us.

*is watching all the cards fall down* Your card analogy nails it on the head. That is exactly what they've done. I feel even worse for those people who will be stuck with the government insurance. I only have to suck it up another year, since I'm marrying someone with great insurance, and his company doesn't discern a difference whether you have pre-existing conditions or not! Unfortunately, not many people get that lucky. Some days, I weep for all that is happening to our once beautiful country.

It's so AWESOME that you have to MARRY INTO a healthcare plan to get proper care. EVERY country should work like that because it CLEARLY is the BEST way to go!

I heard that Canada, the UK, Germany, France, Swede, Mexico, Cuba and all those other 3rd world countries ask how you're going to pay them before they give you services.

All those countries above who are "stuck" with government care are ALL pushing to see it abolished because it is SO HORRIBLE.

Ask anyone from those countries about how their doctors treat them like idiots and crazy people, you'll see, there's so many of them you wont have to look very far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

• Like 2

Actually, we do pay for that health care thank you very much! My boyfriend and I pay over 20,000 a year in taxes and social security. The ONLY reason I am on state insurance is because until we are married, his employer won't cover me. And I DO work, just not your traditional 9-5 job. I have a home based business of my own, and I am also a full time mom and battling back to back physical illnesses. If you don't think that is work, buddy I'll be GLAD to give you a week in my shoes. Before you go making assumptions about me, you might wanna check your damn facts.

Oh, well that's even better. So you have a decent enough paying job and pay taxes but CHOOSE not to pay into insurance still and just let others pick up your tab on that one, huh? So like, you pay enough in taxes you feel so this should be your free gift from the tax payers? Who gives a rip you're not married, insurance is still out there. You don't even have to have a job to get insurance, duhh! I'm willing to bet the bigger reason you don't get those insurances is they'd cost you money, obviously, and since you are going to be a large user of the insurance due to your condition, it would be very costly. Therefor, let others pay for you in that department. Now that's a DAMN FACT I'm sure and it's still an assumtion.

The other question is you put your boyfriend, who mind you is paying his insurance (good boy), and you into a lump sum of paying 20k a year in taxes and SS. Well, for starters that could mean you pay $1 and he pays the rest or there's a split somewhere in the middle but either way it's more about what you make since you're not paying taxes. One thing I just noticed and you may have just slipped but most people who plan on getting married are engaged and therefor he'd be your fiance instead of boyfriend but whatever, neither here nor there. Anyway, of your 20k some of that is SS which if your employeed, the employer typically pays for half of the 15% of your income SS takes and the other half or about 7.5% the employee pays. Home based people like yourself with your own business are required to pay all of it as your the employee and employer. This is your money that "should" pay like as a retirement at some point like a 401k so in theory, it'll be coming back to you and will your disablity, likely soon that later. Regardless, this money you pay in tax and SS isn't used for towards the state paying for your behind to be on their coverage.

My point here is, if everyone had your mentality, then Bill Gates could have state paid insurance and he pays more in taxes then probably the majority of the member here on this website combined. Wouldn't that make you sick.

I recently saw an article in the paper where millionaires have received unemployeement benefits which people thought were rediculous but in actuality, your employeer pays into unemployement for you so rightfully so you can take from it like an insurance policy no different than any others.

I guess what all this really boils down to for me is, don't BS us with your "The ONLY reason I am on state insurance is because until we are married, his employer won't cover me. And I DO work..." when it should really say "I just don't want to pay for private insurance" because that's an option and that's more the reason. Go to the justice of the peace and get married then and have a wedding later.

Finally, about the "disabled" thing. From my personal experience, I've seen waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more abusers of the "I'm disabled" claims than people who I can see are truly a "disabled person". I know a guy who broke a finger in the military screwing around off duty who collects a small disability check every month from the gov't. His current job is working with his hands all day long. NICE huh. Watch one episode of "Judge Judy" and be amazed at the number of "disabled" yet fully capable looking people on that show. I love how the Judge makes them squirm like a worm on a hook when she asked "what's the nature of your disablity" and gets ahh, umms and then points out how physically well minded and bodied they appear to be. That's why I say, everyone could probably be considered disabled if they want to be. Some may have a legitimate claim but from what I've seen. It's more abusers than anything so it's definately tainted the way I look at it.

It's none of your damn business really, but if you must know, the reason is because there simply isn't enough money. Between astronomical rent, car payments, car insurance payments, school loan payments, his health insurance, gas, utilities, and groceries, not to mention the money it takes to raise a child, there is nothing left. Nothing left for expensive private insurance that WON'T cover people with pre-existings, nothing left to get my divorce from my previous abusive husband, and nothing left for a ring to put on my finger to make it official. I don't go out to eat, I don't buy fancy clothes, heck I'm doing good to buy generic tampax and pads! Who the hell are you to judge me, sticking your nose in the air like a sanctimonious jerk! I'm making the very best of a crap situation, and I've been able to do more than anyone ever expected. I'm not some lazy welfare mom sucking up government money like a leech, I don't use welfare, or food stamps either. I only use the resources I absolutely need, and as soon as I can do so will leave them for people who still do need them. I suppose you treat people in wheelchairs and mentally retarded people the same way. A disability is a disability, whether you can see it by looking at me or not. You are disrespecting things and people you don't even know about. You don't know me, and I sure as hell have a lot more wrong than a broken finger. Just because I don't tell everyone what all my illnesses are doesn't mean they are not valid. I have genetic mental disorders that make it difficult to do some things that others take for granted as daily basic things. I learn to live around it, and do the best I can. I am always improving, always improvising. That's more than I can say for many people with some of the same disorders.

• Like 2

d_drew, you really are a retard. I just can't say anything else about it at this point other than that. Your learning was just completely retarded by some idiotic myths and now you are just pissed at the system for making you have to live on your own so you blame the people at the bottom.

d_drew, you really are a retard. I just can't say anything else about it at this point other than that. Your learning was just completely retarded by some idiotic myths and now you are just pissed at the system for making you have to live on your own so you blame the people at the bottom.

Technically the OP is retarded as she has a mental disorder. I do not and I am entitled to my own opinion of how the system operates as are you but right now it sounds as though your a pot on the stove that has just boiled over. Sheesh! Not everything in my previous post was directed at the OP, just my take on how "disability" coverage is so widely abused. YES, there are legitimate people on it, that is true and I won't dispute that. Some of you are reading between the lines a little too much and pulling things out of the air to come up with an argument. FACT: A lot of people abuse disablity coverage and I gave an example. Sure, yours may be greater than a broken finger but that wasn't the point I'm bringing up there. My point was, this guy gets nearly $250 a month for a finger he broke while screwing off on base and we'll be paying him for that for the rest of his life. His joint had to be fused on the finger but he manages to work a different job all day long with his hands yet is "disabled" in the gov't eyes. If this guy lives another 60 years, the gov't will have paid about $180,000 for his f-up. This is ONE small case I'm using as an example of how others, not necessarily you, abuse the system and I think it's BS!

I just didn't like how the OP said the "ONLY REASON" which it's not.

I'll bring up another scenario. A family friend of mine owns a FEW business, all of which do really well. They have rental properties, a half million dollar home, a cabin, boat, snowmobiles, four wheelers, newer cars, fifth wheel camper, and about a hundred acres of land. All four of there children are on the states insurance in which I'm paying for. They say insurance is too expensive because they have their own business in which they do not have insurance and do not provide insurance to their few employees. Now isn't that just nice!

I get it OP, you're stuggling and I see why you're doing what you are but I'm just on a rant right now because of all the stuff like my scenario above going on.

The original reason for the first post was because it is somewhat irratating when someone b!tches about something they're getting for free. Sorry that happened to you in the hospital and it probably shouldn't have but I hope you see my point. It'd be like going to get a free meal at a restaurant, not liking how long you had to wait, you got seated with other strangers at the table and the food was bad so you asked for a refund. I know, not exactly the same (don't need to be told) but hopefully you see my point.

I see your point in the examples you present. However, I must set one thing straight. I am mentally ill, not mentally retarded. My IQ is 123, and while that doesn't make me a genius, it does mean I am pretty smart. To be mentally retarded, your IQ must be lower than 70 as an adult. The problem does not lie with my intelligence, but in chemical imbalances, short term memory loss, and faulty nerve firing, along with PTSD resulting from serial rape by two teenage boys from ages 9 to 10 and continual torture throughout later childhood. What a fun way to lose one's virginity! Not. I don't care to discuss my disorders as they are very stigmatized, and I don't like being labeled and judged for them. Your previous post did anger me, and I apologize for not being more tactful, but when someone implies that I am just too lazy or unwilling to do for myself after all I've accomplished and come through to get where I am, it just burns my butt. It's about the equivalent of implying a person who is wheelchair bound should simply get up and walk. Yes, sometimes depending on the disability, they can begin to walk again, but it is a slow and painful process. Mental disabilities are no different, some of them can eventually be overcome, but it often takes years. :) My last doctor said I've progressed more than most of the patients he's had, and honestly I think it's sheer determination that's gotten me that far. That and my passion for learning. I love doing new things... so long as they don't involve groups of strangers lol. Strangers on the internet... pretty easy to deal with. Strangers IRL often make me very uncomfortable, and groups of them are frightening. Unless they're really weird. Strangely, very eccentric people don't bother me.

Technically the OP is retarded as she has a mental disorder. I do not and I am entitled to my own opinion of how the system operates as are you but right now it sounds as though your a pot on the stove that has just boiled over. Sheesh! Not everything in my previous post was directed at the OP, just my take on how "disability" coverage is so widely abused. YES, there are legitimate people on it, that is true and I won't dispute that. Some of you are reading between the lines a little too much and pulling things out of the air to come up with an argument. FACT: A lot of people abuse disablity coverage and I gave an example. Sure, yours may be greater than a broken finger but that wasn't the point I'm bringing up there. My point was, this guy gets nearly $250 a month for a finger he broke while screwing off on base and we'll be paying him for that for the rest of his life. His joint had to be fused on the finger but he manages to work a different job all day long with his hands yet is "disabled" in the gov't eyes. If this guy lives another 60 years, the gov't will have paid about $180,000 for his f-up. This is ONE small case I'm using as an example of how others, not necessarily you, abuse the system and I think it's BS!

I just didn't like how the OP said the "ONLY REASON" which it's not.

I'll bring up another scenario. A family friend of mine owns a FEW business, all of which do really well. They have rental properties, a half million dollar home, a cabin, boat, snowmobiles, four wheelers, newer cars, fifth wheel camper, and about a hundred acres of land. All four of there children are on the states insurance in which I'm paying for. They say insurance is too expensive because they have their own business in which they do not have insurance and do not provide insurance to their few employees. Now isn't that just nice!

I get it OP, you're stuggling and I see why you're doing what you are but I'm just on a rant right now because of all the stuff like my scenario above going on.

The original reason for the first post was because it is somewhat irratating when someone b!tches about something they're getting for free. Sorry that happened to you in the hospital and it probably shouldn't have but I hope you see my point. It'd be like going to get a free meal at a restaurant, not liking how long you had to wait, you got seated with other strangers at the table and the food was bad so you asked for a refund. I know, not exactly the same (don't need to be told) but hopefully you see my point.

As I said, your knowledge on the subject is retarded. I did not mention the OP either, so now you are also projecting. But here's the thing, since you think so many people are "abusing" disability you have only proven my point. Do you realize it is extremely hard to prove a mental disability, not to mention proving that it is debilitating enough to prevent work? Most of those with true mental disabilities wind up living in shelters off everyone's tax dollars forced to live with a bunch of junkies and drunks, just because of people like you.

That aside, Medicare and Medicaid is not just for the disabled, it's for the "working poor" as well, anyone who is unable to afford other health insurance for any reason, and it's cheaper on tax dollars than what the states pay for unpaid medical bills from the uninsured. Again, your knowledge on how this works is extremely retarded probably due to some extremist propaganda that you have listened to. The other extreme is not exempt either, the ones that want everything for free but this isn't about them right now. Extremists piss me off because of the damage you have done to the government. The original system worked fine how it was, but guess what happened? Government officials raided it for special interest projects, and they continue to do so, thus forcing the programs that have kept a balance in this country to shut down. Now the imbalance is showing it's ugly head and you whine that people are "taking advantage of it." Did you know that people with drug and alcohol convictions cannot collect Medicaid, but your politicians pay for them to go through programs and jail time instead? I could go on, I've been through the system and seen the people who actually do take advantage of it, most are republican supporters or some other extremist "party" that believe everyone else is taking advantage of it but them. So you'll forgive me for defending people who are forced to be on Medicare or Medicaid, because they don't have a choice in the matter. Even the rich are often stuck without health insurance, denied by the companies for something, because the costs to care for many illnesses has risen too high for even multi-million dollar companies to pay, thanks to extremists ignoring the real problem, doctors setting their own fees and prices just so they can afford that new yacht. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, medical costs are too high, and the more populated the city you live in is, the higher those costs get. I got charged $500 for a prescription from the hospital once, it so happens Walmart would have filled it for $4 ... tell me that's fair?

have mental disorder does not make someone 'retarded' and the new law signed by obama means the legal wording is now intellectually disabled, and it means just that, having an iq of 70 or less and 60-70 iq is mild intellectual disability.... by your logic, someone with Anxiety or obessive compulsive disorder is also intellectually disabled.

That "malpractice waver" is crap and will not hold up in court at all. It is there to try and fool you into thinking you have no options it is not binding at all. It would be like taking your car in for an break job and signing a waver then the guy drops your car off a lift... They owe you a car. The only time those hold up is when all outcomes are predictable yet there is a level of unforeseeable risk and everything is fully explained to you. Unless before you signed that they told you what and how they would be doing everything they did and all risks involved it is no more relevant than a take out menu from a Chinese pizza restaurant. And i doubt an er is going to have a Doctor and Lawyer sit with you for as long as it would take to explain everything to you. If it is not a Doctor and Lawyer ...need witnesses... it is useless.

As for shock treatment... yeh it works on some people. The real shocker is the guy that invented the lobotomy won a Nobel prize!!!

as for drew.. get a hoby

• 1 month later...

Not passing judgment on anybody, and perhaps I'm even off-topic, but I think that the whole scheme of sending people with disabilities a check in the mail every month is infinitely less effective than footing the bill for occupational therapy. There are people out there bound to wheelchairs and even barely able to move their arms on top of that who manage to find gainful employment. The capability of those who are 'disabled' is impressive when they also happen to be motivated.

Again, not really voicing that with reference to anybody in this thread. Just tossing in my two cents on the 'people exploit the disability payments' tangent.

On ECT, the dangers are highly overrated. Modern methods of ECT are quite effective and have provided relief to thousands of people already. It's nothing like what was done 50 years ago. As with any treatment, there are risks and side-effects associated with it's practice, but it's really a matter of individual determination in that case. It is only practiced with informed consent in this day and age.

• Like 1

<~~~ cannot handle the stresses of the "typical" workplace. I have had a job land me in the hospital from nervous breakdown. I am really motivated, and have a small home based business, but I am limited by what I can do. My immune system being compromised has added to that. It doesn't generate enough revenue to live on by itself. I very much think that we need to improve the programs that help people to find work that is suited to their abilities and give them work training, so that less people need that check and can make the money themselves. I have gone to three different places that "offer" vocational rehabilitation, had all three fail on me, despite my trying. Often, I didn't know what I was supposed to do... and they didn't seem to know either. They are underfunded and understaffed, and some of the places just don't give a crap. They sit you in front of a computer and tell you to look up things on your own, no suggestions of what might be a good type of job for you, no coping skills for people with social problems, no assistance for a learning disability, nothing. They have you get your GED, then wait for any temp job opening and maybe help place you in it, if you nag. It's nerve wracking and I felt like a number, a statistic, not a person. I can do that from home for free for a lot less stress. I'd love to go to college to get a degree, but I just can't pick what to do nor do I even know how one gets in to college. I don't want to waste money on something it turns out I suck at. In high school, you are supposed to get a guidance counselor for that, but I had to work 18 hour days instead of finishing HS and you don't get that help as an adult. I have too many interests anyway and not enough funding lol. I am looking seriously at a job with the local plant nursery, I visit often and ask questions about it and it seems like something I'd love and be good at. I put in an app, but alas, the thing I CAN do, is not hiring til after thanksgiving. Drat. I must be patient. Getting a job in this economy is tough as it is for normal people...

After marriage I am canceling my SSI check, as it will be unnecessary, and even though I will have good income through my spouse, I still plan to keep up my business and keep trying to find a job that I can do well. My pride won't let me sit on my ass lol.

On the other hand, my former sister-in-law most certainly falls in the category of abusing the system. She ran her own cleaning business for 10 years and did very well at it, so much so her husband barely had to work. Then her husband cheated on her with a 14 year old and went to prison, and she got depressed and got tired of it and gave it up. Yes depression can cause problems, but they are overcome in time. She got a job at Walmart and kept it for 2 years, went to Art school, then decided she was too tired to work anymore. She somehow got on disability. She has an art degree gathering dust and a remarkable talent for graphic design, while she sits on her butt getting more and more obese (she now has diabetes) and collects a check, and by proxy teaches her new son to be as selfish as she is. Exercise and eating right is "too hard" for her, even though she has no pains or physical limitation besides being 375 lbs. It causes her "mental anguish" to diet, as she claims that people are starving her and intentionally torturing her by eating what they want in front of her. I myself am not skinny at a size 12, but geez put the damn twinkies, cheap chocolates, and double quarter pounders down! (no that isn't a generalization, she eats that crap in quantity regularly. I've seen that woman scarf a box of twinkies and a pound of hersheys mini's in a day)

I understand the abusing the system comments because there are certainly people who do, though I don't see that they apply to me as some have suggested.