LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Bad School?

So this afternoon, my step-sister (who has Down Syndrome) came home from school without a shirt on. They sent her home with just her coat. Apparently she got her shirt dirty at some point today and they just made her wear her coat instead. The temp. here today is up around 60.. a little warm to be wearing a coat around school. Now granted, she is undeveloped (hasn't yet reached puberty, or even close to it), but she is 12 and in the 6th grade... Does anyone else find this horribly wrong? I would think that they would find a shirt to put on her.. even if it was too big.

But maybe it's just me? :huh:

Sounds harsh whichever way you look at it.

Do they not even have a sare or like lost box they could have raided for her?

Or at least called some family asked if someone could drop off a spare shirt.

Guest little_jonny

this is just wrong. i mean a dirty shirt is a dirty shirt. when i went out for recess for school kids got dirty, had monster grass stains, covered in dirt, sand, and a little mud and the school didn't do anything. kids will be kids. and fluff has a good point, the school could of called a family member to bring a clean shirt. not that hard to do

On the surface this sounds a bit strange. I hope your parents will check into it without over reacting before hearing what actually happened. I think a lot of parents would be angry if she came home in another shirt out of a lost and found box, but I don't see why a call wasn't made. This seems a little strange.

Still, I would never just take what a school kid says at face value. Obviously something went on - something happened with her shirt. If it seems to weird to be true, it probably is. I suspect the truth is somewhat different than your sister said when she got home.

It may be a bad school, but if your parents just accept whatever your sister says - or what you ever said to your parents, then they in fact may be being bad parents! After all, did YOU always tell your parents the full, unvarnished truth about events at school? Wasn't it always someone else's fault? Didn't the teachers always pick on you unfairly?? This is not meant to diminish your sister or call her a liar - simply to acknowledge that it's human to put a twist on the truth if the truth isn't what we want to be telling at that moment in time.

On the surface this sounds a bit strange. I hope your parents will check into it without over reacting before hearing what actually happened. I think a lot of parents would be angry if she came home in another shirt out of a lost and found box, but I don't see why a call wasn't made. This seems a little strange.

Still, I would never just take what a school kid says at face value. Obviously something went on - something happened with her shirt. If it seems to weird to be true, it probably is. I suspect the truth is somewhat different than your sister said when she got home.

It may be a bad school, but if your parents just accept whatever your sister says - or what you ever said to your parents, then they in fact may be being bad parents! After all, did YOU always tell your parents the full, unvarnished truth about events at school? Wasn't it always someone else's fault? Didn't the teachers always pick on you unfairly?? This is not meant to diminish your sister or call her a liar - simply to acknowledge that it's human to put a twist on the truth if the truth isn't what we want to be telling at that moment in time.

Well since she is Down Syndrome, we pretty well have to get other people's take on what happens a lot of times and I really have no clue what happened to her shirt except that she brought it home completely soaked in several Walmart bags. However, the fact that she left school in just a coat without a shirt on utterly appalls me because it happened before she ever got on the school bus since my brother was on the school bus with her.

That isn't right by any way, I would have your parents file a complaint with the school district.

pt,

I've been around Downs kids, they usually don't lie.

I live with someone who has special needs and I've spent time with others who have similar disabilities. It sounds, to me, that the faculty was ill-equipped to improvise and they tried to do the next best thing, which really wasn't. I'd file a complaint and next time, I'd pack an extra shirt and pants into her backpack (if she has one).

Guest Katharsys

Irresponsible of the school in every way. All schools collect emergency contact numbers for the students, especially for special needs students.

More than once, the nurse's office in my schools called the numbers provided to bring everything from a change of clothing to having someone take me home...

Sounds like a neglect lawsuit in the making. If they can't do the simple thing of calling a parent to bring a new shirt, then what happens when the more complicated things come up?

course what happened between her leaving her classroom and her getting on hte bus is a mystery.

I would have your parents CALL and ask why she was sent home in just a jacket...

and to say "i've been around people with down's syndrome they dont lie" well its just rediculous.. thats like saying "i've been around black people, and they all like fried chicken"..

EVERYONE lies... whether they udnerstand it is right or wrong, everybody will tell and untruth!

Hmm... I tend to think as 60 as light coat weather, if there's much wind... But that doesn't excuse what the school did. They should have provided something like a sports jersy or called your folks to request that they bring her a clean shirt.

I wonder what the extenuating circumstances were. Yes, ideally, the school should've called to have a clean shirt brought over. However, the situation in a school office is often less than ideal and perhaps staff may have gotten distracted with a more critical situation ("Okay, let's have her wear her jacket until we contac... OH FUDGE! Johnny Doe just got stung by a bee and is going into anaphylactic shock! QUICK! GET HIS EPIPEN!...").

Or perhaps sending her home in her jacket was actualy the better solution: if the incident resulting in the soaking shirt may have occurred at or near the end of the school day, it might be a lot less hassle for everyone involved to simply send her home wearing her jacket, instead of say, having her miss her bus and keeping her after school until a parent showed up with a shirt.

'Course, it would've been nice if there had been a note sent along or a phone call home explaining the circumstances.