LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Curity Diapers On Ebay

sparente

Has anyone see what vintage Curity diapers are going for on EBay. Some auctions are fetching over $100.00 for a dozen diapers. Who has the money for that kind of diaper? I wish I had saved my diapers from the 70's. Back then you could buy a dozen diapers for around $6.00. I used to stock up every January when they went on sale. My ex-girlfriend had a large collection of diapers she had from when her son was a baby. I could be rich now.

I saw that, and almost spit my coffee across the room :blush: It was almost $100 for a dozen 22' X 40" flat gauze Curity diapers in an unbroken package....sacrilege!

If you want something like that, they are still around and being made, or check 'granite smith' in Ebay for them as well, they are a heck of a lot cheaper .

qwack

I saw that, and almost spit my coffee across the room :blush: It was almost $100 for a dozen 22' X 40" flat gauze Curity diapers in an unbroken package....sacrilege!

If you want something like that, they are still around and being made, or check 'granite smith' in Ebay for them as well, they are a heck of a lot cheaper .

qwack

With all due respect. Precious Square Duck, a primary legal requirement when Kendall Mills sold their gauze diaper looms, factories and inventory to Gerber many years ago was that the traditional Curity logo could not be used on subsequent production. Of course Gerber was allowed to sell the remaining inventory, which flew out of the old Kendall warehouse to people like my Mom and Granny who still wore Curity 21x40 flat gauze diapers.

Yes, ACD makes a very good modern flat cotton diaper. Technically it is a cross between traditional Dundee Birdseye and diaper gauze. If find it serves the purpose. Sadly it is not possible to afford the special raw cotton needed to make the original Kendall "Curity" diaper gauze. Always the advantage to Birdseye is that it can be made from many types of cotton. ACD comes as close as they can using the black "Purity" name in a box. Chances are good if they used blue ink they would get nasty lawyers from the Kendall legal team. Kendall only wants "Curity" used for their bandage products, made from still another gauze weave.

At USA$100.00 per factory-sealed dozen packs those classic Curity flat gauze diapers are collectors items. Cotton that old would hardly be practical as a working diaper, and vastly expensive for use as polishing rags. The starch seizing needed to hold the threads together during weaving and finishing, has been on the fabric many times the intended period, ruining those diapers for actual use. My Granny is still using some of her old Curity diapers as rags, since she always washed out the seizing immediately after she bought them, and her diapers were always washed daily while she was wearing them. Curity flat diapers did last a long time, perhaps with patches repairing pinning damage in the corners. They got softer and more absorbent with every washing.

With all due respect. Precious Square Duck, a primary legal requirement when Kendall Mills sold their gauze diaper looms, factories and inventory to Gerber many years ago was that the traditional Curity logo could not be used on subsequent production. Of course Gerber was allowed to sell the remaining inventory, which flew out of the old Kendall warehouse to people like my Mom and Granny who still wore Curity 21x40 flat gauze diapers.

Yes, ACD makes a very good modern flat cotton diaper. Technically it is a cross between traditional Dundee Birdseye and diaper gauze. If find it serves the purpose. Sadly it is not possible to afford the special raw cotton needed to make the original Kendall "Curity" diaper gauze. Always the advantage to Birdseye is that it can be made from many types of cotton. ACD comes as close as they can using the black "Purity" name in a box. Chances are good if they used blue ink they would get nasty lawyers from the Kendall legal team. Kendall only wants "Curity" used for their bandage products, made from still another gauze weave.

At USA$100.00 per factory-sealed dozen packs those classic Curity flat gauze diapers are collectors items. Cotton that old would hardly be practical as a working diaper, and vastly expensive for use as polishing rags. The starch seizing needed to hold the threads together during weaving and finishing, has been on the fabric many times the intended period, ruining those diapers for actual use. My Granny is still using some of her old Curity diapers as rags, since she always washed out the seizing immediately after she bought them, and her diapers were always washed daily while she was wearing them. Curity flat diapers did last a long time, perhaps with patches repairing pinning damage in the corners. They got softer and more absorbent with every washing.

It is a pity that they do not have adult version of those, but 80x42 might be a bit hard to manage, but you would certainly KNOW you are in diapers

It is a pity that they do not have adult version of those, but 80x42 might be a bit hard to manage, but you would certainly KNOW you are in diapers

Christine, I am sure we discussed Curity 21x40" gauze diapers years ago, but I might be confusing you with another marvelous person.

Long before I was born my maternal Granny Vi, who has been incontinent since she was 18, owned an industrial mini-lock multi-needle machine so she could fasten those classic Curities together to make diapers appropriate to her size. She had started doing that when her daughters were young. Granny would seam two diapers together to make a 40" square and less often three to make a diaper 40" x 60" Mom would do the same thing, at first using Granny's mini-lock. At some point when I was a kid consumer versions of mini-lock were introduced. Those are called "sergers" and the process of running the over-lock around the sides of fabric such as gauze is technically called "selveging" but popularly that is called "serging" With a minor adjustment the same serging can fasten two pieces of similar fabric together while at the same time reinforcing the edges. Unless you do this gauze comes unravelled.

The downside to serging gauze and Birdseye is that the adjustment of the machine is critical and difficult to get correct. In a factory once over-lock machines are set for gauze, that is how they remain. Extra over-lock machines cost little that they can be kept should other fabrics need them. Sergers need not cost as much as a decent modern zig-zag machine. Granny still has her original mini-lock which she takes to a garment district shop to have service. Granny bought a home serger a few years ago for her other sewing and she is expert at adjusting that. Missy's costume studio has both sergers and larger over-lock machines. Because Missy also makes gauze shirts and skirts, she keeps a serger and an over-lock set for gauze.

Personally I do not need to serge two diapers together, because ACD makes gauze flat diapers in 36" square and 44" square. The 36" 2-ply version is my basic home cloth diaper, with one, two or three standard infant Gerber Birdseye pre-folds added as soaker.