LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What'S A "Lap Neck" On A Onesie?

I was browsin' the interwebs when I found a site that sold an adult onesie I kinda liked. I bought the thing, only to find out later on google that evidently the only articles of clothing with a "lap neck" are more or less onesies for babies. So . . . what exactly does lap neck mean, and since I would be wearing it under stuff like button up shirts so that the collar would be visible, would it look weird to people who do know what a lap neck is?

Here's the onesie I'm talkin' about. http://www.babykins.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=12000LAP&Category_Code=KCLTH

From my understanding a lap neck is one where you can take off the onsie from the top of the shoulders. There are layers of cloth that allow you to take if off from the neck are. The other kind of onsie has snaps on the crotch. I don't believe either will be visible under a shirt. Well actually I'm not 100% sure if the lap neck might look a little strange with the layers under a shirt. Most folks I think buy the onsie's with snaps in the crotch because then the top of the onsie looks like a t-shirt. Hope this helps a little.

I was browsin' the interwebs when I found a site that sold an adult onesie I kinda liked. I bought the thing, only to find out later on google that evidently the only articles of clothing with a "lap neck" are more or less onesies for babies. So . . . what exactly does lap neck mean, and since I would be wearing it under stuff like button up shirts so that the collar would be visible, would it look weird to people who do know what a lap neck is?

Here's the onesie I'm talkin' about. http://www.babykins....gory_Code=KCLTH

The adult department of Babykins is called "KINS" They have marvelous customer service. They also have a toll-free phone line. Why not call them and ask if their lap neck Onesies also has crotch snaps?

Although KINS is my primary supplier of pull-on soft vinyl pants, I have never ordered Onesies from them. My sister Missy designed the Onesies we wear, which are not available for sale from her. However, Missy has allowed several manufacturers of adult clothing to use her designs. Apparently KINS has not taken advantage of this offer.

Gerber invented and holds the trademark on Onesies. Originally Gerber made them with the lap neck, as shown in the Babykins photo, and "V" neck more like a conventional T-shirt. Way back it was thought Lap Neck was safer on infants and toddlers. From Gerber both style Onesies had crotch snaps.

The first Onesies Missy made for us in 1990 had crotch snaps and lap neck, because she felt those were the most babyish. We found it was easier to use the crotch snaps if they were actually closer to the waist. So since 1991 Missy has extended the back flap such that it reaches just below the top of our jeans in the front, not as high as the actual waist. Our necks are now a V design so from the waist up they look like ordinary T-shirts. We believe on adults having the snaps well above the crotch is a huge advantage to both the AB as well as the big babysitter. Changing and re-snapping is easier and the AB is not sitting on the snaps.

Gerbers reasoning for the crotch snaps was that it reduced cost of manufacturing and also it discouraged toddlers from un-fastening their Onesies. Back when all toddlers wore cloth diapers the kids did not feel the snaps. Maybe today with thinner disposables toddlers can feel the snaps and yet cannot articulate their discomfort.

I think it might be described as poppers opening along the top seam of the shirt from the top of one shoulder to another. You could then put the onesie on like a pair of pants and close it at the shoulder.

The other form is to put the poppers on one shoulder only; this is because baby's head are relatively much larger and would not only need a huge head-hole to get them over the babies head, but also a means of partly closing it to provide a snug fit an keep the infant warm.

I think the name is a shortened form of "overlap" neck, since the fabric should be well overlapped so the poppers do not feel uncomfortable on the baby's shoulders.

Thanks for the replies, makes a lot more sense now biggrin.gif

It also looks like it might be a *bit* on the weird side, but whatever, I'll live. I just hope it doesn't have a tendency to fall down.

I bought myself a lap-neck onesie...snaps at the crotch and just overlapping at the shoulder. It does tend to sag. I kind of wish I hadn't gotten it because it doesn't fit me the way I'd like it to. It isn't even that tight on me, but still sags at the neck. I'd love one with the snaps at the shoulder too (still want the crotch snaps) - seems babyish, though not suitable for wear out in public.