LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

You Know You Are Getting Old When...

I hit my usual drug store for more Attends last weekend. Sauntered on up to the counter with 2 bags of large. The twenty something cashier behind the counter doesn't bat an eye. Rings my purchase in and gives me a 'have a nice day sir' to boot. When did I become a 'sir'?

Man, I'm gettin old.

• Like 1

I've had people calling me "sir" since I was like 16 or 17... it's all in the attitude... or the premature gray hair in the beard... one of the two. Or both...

Then again, ya know what, when I was 16 I had a 17 year old kid ask me to buy him cigarettes. Funny thing was it worked.

My prostate aches.

You are too young to have that kind of problem unless some young filly let you have it where your legs meet.

People keep telling me, "Just wait until you're old!" but they are only a few years older than me and some are even younger! I don't need glasses to read or otherwise. Still got my hair and most of its original color. ;) I even weigh the same as I did 10 years ago.

You know you're old when the tree you planted as a kid now has a tire swing in it!

How about this, I go to a service call, I meet with the head of the IT group. His name seems familiar. Then he asks if I went to this collage that his father was a Prof/ow retired. OMG this is the little kid that used to come in our lab 25 years ago. I feel old!

Okay, this is a serious question. For those of you who resent being called "ma'am," what would you prefer? Terms like "sir" and "ma'am" are designed to be respectful. When did they become offensive? Before people know your name, how should people address you?

You're waiting in line at a bank and you're next, but not aware. The teller should get your attention by saying . . . ?

This has come up a lot for me recently and I'd really like an answer.

-RMS

P.S. I'm only 41 and have been battling prostatitis for over a year now.

Honestly, based on some reactions I've seen, many women may actually prefer it! I used to work in a store and a woman walked in and told me what she wanted to buy. I asked her if anyone had helped her and she said that yes, someone in another store had, but she walked out in a huff because he called her ma'am!!!!! How dare he!

I was completely mystified and was honestly confused about what was wrong with that. I'm still confused.

-RMS

Yes, I know it seems trivial. Some people are sensetive to 'labeling' and can have extreme reactions to being called a simple, polite name. Thing is, you will never know when or where it will strike. My mother doesn't like being called ma'am and she is 55 years young.

Its all in how you feel, I guess.

• Like 1

The only label I'm aware of that ma'am implies is that you're female. It doesn't imply age or marital status (anymore), or skin color or national origin or anything else I can imagine. If women don't want to be called ma'am, that's fine, but I'd really like someone to tell me what all women would like to be called. They can't just say, "Don't call me that" and then not tell us what to call them!

Can you tell I've been stewing about this for a while?

-RMS

I kinda am just of the opinion that if I'm trying to be polite and whoever I'm talking to decides they don't like it -- well, it isn't my problem anymore.

I mean, if I'm rude (say, something like, "hey bitch" or "yo, fuckhead"), I certainly wouldn't expect a positive reaction. But, if it is apparent that I'm attempting to be polite, and someone decides to get upset about it.. not much I can do anymore.

Individuals make the choice to let things upset them. If someone chooses to spend their time being hypersensitive by expecting treatment outside an acceptable norm, I don't feel the need to spend my time being upset about them being upset. I'll just go on my merry way.

... my last name may be spelt k-r-a-w-c-y-z-k, but I expect you to know that is pronounced "Smith."

I think this topic is getting way more serious than Drynot actually intended when he started it.

I don't throw a hissy fit when someone calls me Ma'am. When a teenager or someone in their early twenties refers to me as Ma'am it just serves to remind me that no matter how young I may feel, people of that age don't see me that way. We always tend to think of people older than ourselves as Ma'am and Sir. We never expect that one day it will be us.

But it's not a big deal.

I'm with you on this one Pipsqueak. Being called ma'am still retains an implied age reference. It's like a short sharp shock when I'm addressed as ma'am. and a horrible reminder that I'm a woman 'd'un certain age'.

That's not a rebuke to the person addressing me thus, as it's clearly meant politely, but to copy and adapt drynot's mock despair "When did I become a ma'am?".

Wo/man, I feel old.

Dolly

There is one thing to becoming older for us Dad's that seek and AB girl....we have experience and know what to do, Sooooooooooo being older is not all that bad, heck I'm 56 and happy with my age.

And you can call me sir, Tom, Heh you or what ever, just don't ever stand in between me and what I am trying to do is all.

Tom

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

And satin sandles, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

And run my stick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

And pick flowers in other people's gardens

And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

Or only bread and pickle for a week

And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not swear in the street

And set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

Age is mainly a matter of how old you feel. As far as addressing someone as ma'am or sir, I've been in retail to many years and have no problems addressing someone either way and do it out of a matter or respect. Yes sir. ^_^