LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

The New Foster

Charlotte smiled. She had a short blonde bob with greyish blue eyes. She had wanted to be a mother ever since she was a small child. She was thrilled when she got pregnant with Rebecca 10 years ago, and always wanted to give her a sibling. She found it difficult to get pregnant again after Rebecca though, so they turned to adoption and then foster care.

After struggling to find children ready to be adopted, her husband and her decided to foster. After a few months they had been paired with a little girl and the family couldn’t be more excited. Today was the day and the family had arrived at the social services office on the other side of town.

”I have everything we need right here.” She told her husband, patting her tote bag with a smile as they climbed out of the car. She had checked numerous times that she had all the paperwork and documents they could possibly need. 

“Rebecca, I know you’re excited but we need you to be on your best behavior when we go inside. Daddy and I will probably need to talk to the social worker and your new sister so please be good.” She reminded her daughter gently. She was never very good at being strict unless she absolutely had to, but she wanted the meeting of their new foster daughter to go smoothly.

Inside the large building in front of the family was the county’s social services office. It was small and mostly just a few offices, no real place to keep children long term. Leilani sat on a chair in the view of her caseworker, Maria, not being allowed to leave without permission. She was given a piece of paper and a pencil, though she didn’t enjoy having to keep still for so long. 

The small girl was seven years old, set to turn eight in exactly one week. Her dark brown nearly black hair was pulled back into a crude ponytail, clearly still tangled and not well taken care of. She had on some dingy denim overalls and a blue Tshirt, both of which looked old and not quite the right size for her, despite being small for her age and looking more like a six year old. Her medium brown skin was pale and dirty. 

Occasionally glancing up at Maria, Leilani kept her head down and scribbled on the paper in front of her, doing her best to sit still, though she wasn’t very successful and was quite squirmy. She’d been removed from her mother’s care a week ago now and had been bounced around a few foster homes but nobody wanted to keep her once they learned of her file. Supposedly there was another family coming to get her today, but Leilani knew inside that it wouldn’t be different. She worried what these new people would be like. She missed her mother greatly and still didn’t quite understand why she couldn’t go home, having only been told that her mother couldn’t care for her properly. Everyone always phrased it as if it was Leilani’s fault and bad behavior that caused her to get taken away. Her mother did warn her before that how she behaved could get her taken, though she never meant to misbehave. 

She glanced at the digital clock on Maria’s desk, she said the family would be here around 11:30 or so, and that meant they’d be there any minute now. 

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom smiled at his wife and looked back at their ten year old child who had freckles, green eyes and darker, almost auburn hair.  He nodded his rusty brown hair head and deep brown eyes at his daughter as his wife spoke to her about being a good girl.

Rebecca nodded and smiled up at her mom and dad.  She wasn't that sure about having a little sister as yet, though her parents seemed very excited at her getting this experience, so much so, that they took her with them on this Tuesday afternoon even though they knew she had soccer practice this afternoon at four.  She didn't worry about it though.  Honestly, she'd probably been mad if they had gotten someone new to her house and didn't let her come to get the new sister.

"Okay, mom, I'll try," she said with a small smile.  "But what if she doesn't like me?"

Tom smiled and looked her in the eyes.  "Honey, she's probably thinking the same thing about us.  Just take it slow, and I'm sure you will get along."

Rebecca nodded and as she got out of the car, she reached her hand towards her mom's arm to hold her as she walked into the building with her.  The place made her kind of nervous.  There were no laughing and playing children, something that Rebecca thought a place with foster kids should have.  There were only scary grown-up-looking offices along the corridor, and the quiet in the halls made her feel like they were in a hospital.  She hated hospitals, not because anything happened to her in one, but just because the quiet that was always present in one, made her feel like someone was dying.

Tom double checked her had his own identification handy like his driver's license and anything else that he normally kept in his wallet as he walked through the quiet halls.

When they found the office, Tom looked back at his family, checking they were ready, and after his daughter nodded that she understood and would be as quiet as possible, he opened the door and took in the sight of the little girl at the table, and Maria at her bigger desk.

Rebecca glanced at her feet.  Having a little sister could be fun.  She might want to play with her, and Rebecca could teach her about what school was like.  Rebecca thought that kids in foster homes didn't go to school.  She watched the movie Annie, a long while back, and she thought that orphans were like that.  That they all lived together in a crowded place, and never got to go anywhere.  So of course, her little sister probably didn't know what school was.

She held her mom's shirt peeking around her mom at the new little orphan, wondering what she was like.

Charlotte took a deep breath and followed her husband to the office. She wasn’t sure what she’d expected, but this wasn’t it.

She smiled and shook Maria’s hand, momentarily letting go of Rebecca’s. “Hi, I’m Charlotte, this is my husband Tom and our daughter Rebecca.” She introduced herself warmly.

Maria smiled and shook the hands of the adults. “It’s nice to meet you, we spoke on the phone. My name is Maria.” She said with a nod.

She gestured to the small girl across from her desk. “That’s Leilani. And just to be absolutely sure, you’ve looked over her file and you definitely want to take her in?” She asked hopefully. “In all honesty, you’re her last hope before she goes to a group home.”

Leilani looked up at the seemingly perfect family that walked in. They all seemed so well dressed and nice. In her mind they looked exactly like the kind of family you’d see on TV. She hung her head when she heard Maria start to talk about her and though she tried not to, she couldn’t help but fidget a bit in her seat.

What if they don’t want me? What if I do something bad? What if one doesn’t like me? Is the girl nice? Her mind was racing with a million questions and fears as she stared silently at her lap.

Charlotte smiled and nodded. “Yes, we definitely want her.” She confirmed quickly. “But she’s awfully tiny. I thought she was eight? Did I misread?” She started to pull Leilani’s file out of her bag before Maria stopped her.

Maria shook her head. “She’ll be eight in one week. She’s small for her age, possibly due to malnutrition.” She pointed to the floor next to her and spoke to the small girl. “Leilani come here.” She said in a stern voice.

Leilani was shaken from her trance and she quickly stood up and hurried to stand next to Maria. She looked down at her feet as the adults talked about her. She was trying so hard to stay still. On a good day that was a difficult task for the girl, let alone when she was scared and anxious, plus her sneakers were at least two sizes too small and were hurting her feet. 

Tom frowned at the sharp tone he heard Maria speak to the child with, as though the child were naughty or something, but he didn't say anything.  He figured the last thing they needed, was to get into an argument about how children should be treated.  This lady was supposed to be the expert after all.  He just sort of stood back, his wife having made most of the arrangements before, he trusted she knew what had to be addressed more than he did.

Rebecca saw the little girl sitting at the table, so lonely looking.  She wondered why there were no other children around for her to play with.  She nearly jumped herself when the woman spoke.  She didn't like the feeling of the office and of this lady.  She didn't know why, but all of this kind of scared her.  She squeezed her mommy's shirt for comfort, probably pulling at it a little uncomfortably on her mom.

Tom saw Rebecca looking a little nervous, but he wasn't really sure what to do about it, and she was clearly seeking comfort from her mom right now.

He squatted down by the little girl who had come over towards them where Maria had requested her to, and assuming that Charlotte was taking care of business with Maria, he started to talk to her.

"Hey, sweetheart.  Are you okay?" he asked her.  "My name is Tom and this is Rebecca and the lady is Charlotte."

He wondered why the child had not been at least cleaned up a bit.  She looked like she had not had a bath even the night before, but he didn't say it out loud.  It would not help the child to be called out for something that was clearly someone else's fault.

Rebecca was too nervous around Maria to even say one word.  Rebecca noticed that the girl had on pretty old or dirty clothes, but what concerned her more, was that she didn't look happy to even see them.  She wondered what had happened, and if someone like Mrs. Hannigan in the Annie Story, or even if Maria, was like her, in controlling her to be robotic in her movements, coming when called, like a dog?

Charlotte frowned. Her file said quite a lot but it said nothing about possible malnutrition. She didn’t have much time to focus on that though, sensing Rebecca needed her.

She bent down and hugged her daughter for a moment. “It’s okay honey. I know this is all a lot right now. Do you want to introduce yourself to Leilani or wait a few minutes?” She asked gently. Tom and Charlotte had a tendency to baby their daughter a bit. Not detrimentally so, but being their only child they definitely doted on her.

Leilani squirmed in place and looked down at her feet, she had looked up long enough to see who was in front of her but that was it. She didn’t know what to say to him, scared to say the wrong thing.

“Leilani, I know you have manners. Say look at them and say hi, introduce yourself.” Maria instructed the small girl. She really wanted the girl to behave and things to go well, knowing this was the girl’s last chance before going to a group home.

“H-Hi.” Leilani squeaked out quickly, looking up at Tom for a few moments before averting her gaze again. “I’m Lani.” She added, fiddling with the frayed straps of her dirty backpack on her back. She wasn’t trying to be rude by being quiet, she was just worried and scared. 

Tom frowned at the fact that her clothes looked a little, maybe tight on her, and she smelled not bad that she was intentionally kept dirty, but certainly bad enough he knew she had not bathed in a couple of days.  He smiled though as he let the thought pass, and he whispered.  "Well, we'd like you to come home with us, if that's okay with you."

Rebecca didn't understand why daddy was asking her permission.  Wasn't it already decided?  And why was the woman talking to her like saying something like she knows she has manners?  Of course she's scared!  That woman wasn't making Rebecca feel comfortable, and she shivered a little next to her mom.  She wanted to say she didn't like the woman, but she knew that would be rude.

"Mommy?" she whispered up at her.  She would do anything to get out of this room with Maria in it.  "Can I go to the bathroom?" she asked.

Tom reached out a hand towards her.  "We'll take care of you if you come with us," he promised her.  "You can get something to eat, and we'll get you in a nice bath so you can feel more yourself."  He assumed that her dirtiness was not something that she chose.

Lani nodded. She didn’t really have much of an opinion on this family in particular. She knew this was her last chance though. And she kept being told she might never see her mom again if this house didn’t work out. She put her hands in her pockets and looked away, her mind still racing.

She hesitantly took Tom’s hand when he offered it to her. She didn’t say anything, but food sounded amazing. She was removed from the previous foster family’s home early that morning and Maria had been too busy to think to offer her food. She was starving and would happily eat almost anything right now.

Charlotte stood up and approached Maria again. “Do you have a restroom we can use?” She asked hopefully. Once the social worker nodded and directed the two, Charlotte took Rebecca down a short hallway to a small bathroom with just a toilet, sink, and trash can.

She closed the door and smiled. “Do you want me to wait outside the door or just turn around while you go?” She asked gently. She wanted to give her daughter the space and privacy she needed, but recognized this was an anxiety producing situation and environment. 

"Um... can you just... um... leave the door open and block it?" she asked.  "So I can see you?  I... I don't honestly like the woman in the office, but I didn't say it there because I knew it was rude, mommy."

She looked up at her with wide innocent eyes, hoping her mom understood that she didn't mean to be rude, but she was just scared of Maria's strict sounding nature as she spoke to the unwanted girl.

She undid her pants and sat on the toilet, and moments later, a tinkle was heard into the toilet.

"I don't want to go back in that office.  It's... um... like a hospital or something."

She frowned and looked down.  "I'm sorry for being rude."

Tom smiled and took her by the hand.

"I'll just take this one to our car to get her settled," Tom told Maria.  "You can tell her anything else you need to, and then we'll be out of your hair.  We've decided we'll take her so as long as everything is in order, then I see no reason I can't just take her to the car.  She looks a little restless to me."

He got her out of the office and then bent down to her eye level, and he whispered.  "If you need anything, like to go to the toilet or you are hungry, you can tell me, sweetheart."

Charlotte didn’t feel comfortable with what Rebecca suggested. “I’m just going to turn my back sweetheart. I don’t want you going with the door open.” She explained as she did so, along with locking the door.

“You’re not being rude sweetie. I know she seems strict and not very nice. I’m sure she’s just tired and busy. We all get grumpy sometimes.” She empathized while trying to reason. She didn’t totally believe what she was saying, but wanted to give Maria the benefit of the doubt.

“Once you’re done we can see if Leilani is ready to go. I’ll try to make things as quick as possible but I might need to talk to Maria some more with Daddy.”

Maria nodded and gave Tom the car seat they had for Lani. The office couldn’t supply much for the children, but car seats for kids who needed them were something they made sure they had when necessary.

Lani stayed quiet while the adults talked about her. They weren’t saying anything overtly negative, well not yet anyway. She did blush a bit at being called restless. She wasn’t trying to squirm, she just couldn’t stay still for a variety of reasons.

Outside she looked at her feet and nodded. “I’m okay.” She fibbed out of habit. She didn’t need to use the bathroom, but she was quite hungry. Regardless though she wasn’t used to being allowed to express such needs. She was always taught it was rude and naughty. Lani wanted to make the best impression on this family that she could so she was determined to do everything in her power to be on her absolute best behavior. 

Rebecca smiled and loved that her mother understood that she was scared but felt kind of ashamed being ten and being scared of someone.  She used the toilet like any other ten year old though her panties had a little bit in them from her being so nervous.  She didn't tell her mom though because her mom still had to deal with the angry woman, and she didn't want to add to her stress.  She'd just tell her later that she almost didn't make it, which was true.

Rebecca smiled after she washed her hands like the healthy child she had been raised to be, and she reached out to take her mom's hand and walked with her back to the hospital-quiet place where the stern woman seemed to make everything seem out of bounds for the orphan girl.

Rebecca frowned when she saw her dad had already taken the little girl out of the office.

Tom took the car seat and after having Lani tell him that she was okay and didn't want anything at the moment, he took her to the car, and then squatted next to her again.  "I know you are supposed to be eight in a week," he told her.  "But the law says you need a car seat until you can sit without the shoulder strap digging into your neck, so do you mind if I fix this for you to sit in the car, honey?"

He patted her back lightly.

"You don't have to be so stiff out here, sweetie.  You are a child, and you are allowed to talk and play a little bit.  That's what children do," he told her.

Charlotte smiled and walked out with Rebecca. She was mostly keeping her big smile on to help her daughter feel a bit better.

“Looks like Daddy took Leilani out to the car already.” She said cheerfully. After confirming everything was settled with Maria, she walked with Rebecca out to the car.

“Why don’t you introduce yourself honey.” She encouraged gently once they were almost to the car.

Lani shrugged when Tom mentioned the car seat. She didn’t mind it and besides, she knew it wasn’t something she could fight. And she didn’t want to put up any fuss since she had to make this family want to keep her for a while. She of course would rather be home, but she understood that for a while she had to live with other people. She also had been told that this was her last chance to be with a real family and if she ruined this one too she might not get to go back home.

She stiffened a bit and straightened her back when Tom patted her. She occasionally glanced up at him to see him putting the carseat in. She was small enough to still need one, but was big enough now to be able to be in one with a traditional seatbelt and not the harness.

She inched ever so slightly closer to Tom when she saw Rebecca and Charlotte coming out. She knew who they were but they hadn’t introduced themselves to her and she didn’t know how old the bigger girl was. 

Tom smiled and busied himself with setting the car seat up.

As he did so, Rebecca had been through the office, her mom had not needed to say much more to the mean woman, and they were on their way out as her daddy buckled the girl in a car seat?  She put it out of her mind.  Maybe she didn't know car seats were usually for babies, or maybe Rebecca forgot what being younger was really like.  She didn't really remember when she stopped using a car seat.

Tom comforted her a little bit with a light hug as she reached for him being somewhat nervous, he thought.

"It's okay, sweetie.  They are here to take you home with us, too."

He whispered to her.  "You don't have to do anything you don't want to right now, but I think Rebecca might want to say "hi," he warned her.  "I'll let her know to leave you alone if you feel uncomfortable talking right now."

Rebecca looked up at her mom and she wondered about the car seat, and she wondered if it was mean to tell the orphan that that was for babies.  Maybe it was mean, so she decided not to say it.  Instead, as she approached the car, she looked at her mommy and just said, "I'm hungry, mom."

She figured maybe if she said she was hungry, maybe the girl would talk first, and then she could talk to her without sounding too nosy or unnatural.  It was kind of uncomfortable, but her mom did say that she should try.

Lani didn’t say anything as Tom got her buckled into the carseat. She didn’t know anything about this other girl and wasn’t sure about her. She worried this other girl wouldn’t like her or would end up being a bully. She kept a careful eye on Rebecca and Charlotte, wanting to anticipate anything bad that might happen.

Charlotte sighed a bit. She had hoped the girls would get along from the get go. That didn’t seem to be happening however. She was a little disappointed that Rebecca wouldn’t even introduce herself to the girl. This would seemingly be an awkward twenty minute car ride.

She turned to Tom as she gestured for Rebecca to climb in the other side of the car. “Should we stop for something on the way home you think? Or just wait until we get there. Is she hungry at all?” She asked him as she got in the front seat of the car. 

Tom frowned as he looked back at the little one.

"I honestly don't know if she is hungry or not," he looked at Charlotte for a moment.  "But I mean, kids her age are usually hungry, aren't they?"

He glanced back to see the girls not really interacting as far as he could tell.

"I honestly don't know...," he went on.  "...if she would tell us.  You saw how that woman talked to her in the office.  I felt uncomfortable with the way the little one was treated in there, and I could see it in the way Rebecca was clinging to you like she was on a mountain side cliff clinging for life."

He shook his head.  "I mean, if she doesn't want to eat, we can always get it to go, right?"

Rebecca leaned up.

"Mommy, I'm hungry," she said trying to make sure her mom knew she was hungry.  

She sat back again and looked over at the girl trying to really take her in.  She was small, she was in a car seat, her clothes were dirty but her face looked clean enough, and she seemed sad somehow.

She looked down at her lap, shyly.  She wasn't sure what she should say.  But the other girl seemed as shy, not having said anything either.

"Um... I guess we are sharing the same house for now," she told the little girl.  "So, um... you can call me Becks or Becky if you want.  My real name is Rebecca, but if you say it, I will think you are mad at me.  Can I call you something or maybe your name?" she asked.

Charlotte sighed a bit and looked at the two girls in the back of the car. She started to wonder if taking in this girl was a good idea or not.

“Well I guess we can just stop for McDonald’s on the way home. She seems too shy to want to go in somewhere.” She suggested.

She sighed for a second and turned to Rebecca. “I heard you sweetheart. Daddy and I are talking about food right now.” She explained gently.

Lani kept her eyes on her lap for the most part. She’d sometimes turn and look out the window but she didn’t look over at Rebecca at all, even when the older girl spoke to her.

She didn’t trust this girl yet. Some of her previous foster siblings had been really mean to her. And this girl should know her name anyway. Maria had said it in her office to Charlotte and Tom. She decided not to say anything and just continue to stay quiet. She was still doing her best to stay still, but she continued to fidget and squirm in her seat. 

Rebecca wasn't sure why the girl didn't tell her what to call her.  Sure, she had heard her name spoken, but that doesn't mean that's what she wants to be called.  Rebecca hates it when people use her proper name because it usually makes her think she is in trouble.  But, like she had thought when she got in, it was a little awkward right now, trying to talk.  They really didn't have anything to talk about at the moment, and it was always a little hard to start talking to people just out of the blue.

Rebecca smiled a little at the girl when she glanced her way, but she didn't push anymore than she had already.  The girl would tell her what to call her in time, maybe....

Tom nodded.  "McDonalds seems like a good compromise.  We can just get them something and let them eat in the car, that way, she doesn't have to go in if she doesn't want to."

"Maybe you can ask her what she wants to eat?" Tom offered for Charlotte to say something to the girl.  "You know, if she has questions, then you can talk to her while I concentrate on driving or something, maybe?"

Rebecca looked down after a bit and tried again.

"Do you like to play with stuffed animals still?" she asked her.  "I heard you are going to be eight soon...."

She really felt like this was not the best topic either, but she really had nothing to ask yet.  She barely knew this girl.

Charlotte nodded. She turned around to look at the two girls. She kept a cheery smile though it was only for show. She had thought the girls would be talking by now but it seemed things would be more difficult than they’d thought.

“We’re gonna stop for McDonald’s so we can get something to eat.” She informed both of them before turning specifically to Rebecca. “Becks, what do you want to eat?”

Once she’d taken note of her daughter’s order she turned to Lani. “Leilani sweetie what do you want to eat?”

Lani straightened when she heard Charlotte talking directly to her. She still kept her gaze averted however. “I’ll eat anything, Miss.” She responded without much thought.

Charlotte frowned. “Are you sure sweetie? You can order anything you want.” She urged gently. “And you don’t have to call me Miss. You can call me Charlotte, Aunt Charlotte, or Aunt C, if you don’t want to call me Mom or Mommy.”

When Lani didn’t respond after that, Charlotte sighed and turned back to Tom. “Let’s just get her the same thing as Becks I guess.”

Lani turned back to look out the window after Charlotte was done talking to her. She didn’t feel comfortable around this woman at all yet. She hadn’t even introduced herself to Lani in the office. She knew from the past few days that there would be lots of questions with this new family, and she wasn’t looking forward to it. 

"Can I have a happy meal with nuggets and mustard sauce, and a sprite, and a toy?" Rebecca asked.  She smiled hopefully at her mom, and then turned to look as her mom tried to get Lani to answer her.  She wondered why Lani was so quiet.  Sure, she might be shy, but she should get something she likes to eat.  The poor orphan girl was probably never allowed to order McDonalds.  That must be it.  She doesn't know what they have.

"I could tell you what they have," Rebecca told the orphan girl.  "I mean, if you want.  They only have three kinds of happy meals, but I'm going to get the chicken.  They have cheeseburger and hamburger, too."

Rebecca sighed.  She wondered if she was talking to herself after a moment.  Maybe she was pushing too much.  She felt like maybe she was, so she sat back in the seat and waited for dad to drive to the drive through.

"Okay, yeah, I'll just get her the same as Becks, I guess.  I don't know what she's been through, but I got the feeling they were saying she had been in a lot of different homes for one or two day stays between everything that happened and before they sent her to us, and maybe she's just not sure she'll be with us long enough to make it worth getting to know us?" he reasoned with Charlotte.  "I mean..., if she hasn't even stayed more than a day and a half at most of the places that she went to, it is no wonder she would think that way, right?"

He pulled into the drive through.

"We'll have two chicken nuggets meals, on of your Big Mac Meals with cola for the Big Mac and Sprites for the kids' meals, and ... just a minute... "and he turned to Charlotte.  "And what would you like to have?"

He started to look through is wallet to get the money that he would need to pay.

"Mommy, I think Leilani, or whatever they said her name was, is kind of scared.  She keeps moving like she is worried or something."

Rebecca reached out and softly touched Leilani on the arm.  "It's okay if you are scared.  My mom and dad are very good at helping to make you feel better when you are scared, or at least they help me."

Charlotte sighed. “We can talk more about everything at home. I don’t want to worry either of the girls or talk about Leilani’s business in front of Becks.” She suggested. They seemingly had more to talk about when they got home than she’d planned.

“I’ll just get a ten piece nugget meal with a coke.” She said as she glanced at the girls in the mirror. At least it seemed like Rebecca was trying to get to know Leilani.

“It’s okay honey. She’s probably just nervous. She doesn’t know us at all and is going to live with us for a while. She probably has a lot on her mind.” She said gently. She could tell Rebecca was just being thoughtful and worried, but didn’t want to start a pattern of talking about the girl like she wasn’t around.

Lani pulled her arm away when Rebecca reached out to touch her. She didn’t like this older girl suddenly putting her hands on her. “I’m not scared!” She responded sharply. She wasn’t going to let this other girl get away with thinking she was a helpless baby. “And I don’t need help!” She turned her head back to looking out the window, not in the mood for this other girl. 

Rebecca sniffled a little when the girl suddenly snapped at her.  She didn't see this coming from anywhere at all.  She frowned and nodded.  "Okay.  Sorry," she looked down a little sad that the orphan decided that she was... well, she wasn't sure what the orphan girl thought.  She didn't really say anything other than she wasn't scared or in need of any help.

They had gotten the food, and Tom passed back the children's stuff to Becky first, because she was less restrained than Leilani, and he figured it was easier to hand her the stuff.

"Give the first drink and the first box to Lani, please," he instructed Becks.  "It's only polite to hand stuff to others before you take your own."

Rebecca nodded and she presented Lani with her pop first.

"Um... this is yours," she said her face a little red and her eyes down cast hoping for the girl not to snap at her again.

She got the boxes of food after she put her drink in the cup holder in her door, and she waited for Lani to see if she was ready for her box with her nuggets, sauce and fries in it.

"This is for you, too.  I'm sorry I didn't ask you if you needed help before I told mom you did.  I just thought you were scared.  I am sorry."

She was trying to be nice and not pressure the girl.

"I'll stop bothering you now."

And she started eating as daddy started to drive the car, deciding to eat his after he got to the house.

"Alright," Tom nodded with what Charlotte was saying.  "Maybe she can go play soccer with her club while we try to sort Lani so they can try to visit later on after Lani maybe feels more comfortable and at home?"

Lani took the food and drink that were handed to her without saying much. A quiet and reflexive “Thank you” was all that she said.

Without any hesitation, the little girl started devouring her food. When nobody was looking at her however, she did sneak two of her chicken nuggets into one of the pockets of her overalls. She wasn’t sure the next time she’d be offered food, so she wanted to make sure she had something in case she wasn’t fed later.

Once she’d stashed away some food for later, Lani quickly polished off the rest of her food, including every single French fry and her entire drink.

“That sounds like a good idea. Some sense of normalcy will be good for Becks too. I don’t want her to feel like Leilani is taking things away from her that she likes to do.” Charlotte agreed. She started eating her meal while occasionally glancing back at the girls. At least they weren’t fighting. 

Rebecca frowned when Lani started eating as if she had been starving!  She wondered when the girl last ate, and then she remembered the Annie movie, and remembered they never really showed the children in the home eating, and wondered if foster kids actually got to eat properly.

Deciding that the poor little orphan was probably greatly deprived of food, she split her fries in half and after eating half of them, handed the rest in the little paper pack it was in the little orphan.  "You don't have to, but I'm sort of full," she lied.  "Since you were able to eat all of yours, I wondered if you could help me eat mine?"

She gave her a little smile.  She wasn't sure why she said it that way, but she did know that the girl didn't want help.  She said so.  She said she didn't need help and she isn't scared, but Rebecca couldn't understand her not being scared, being in someone else's car, and driving to where she didn't even know!  Maybe she was just being brave so she couldn't feel as hurt for some reason.

She tried not to bother the other girl on the rest of the ride, but she had so many questions, and really wanted to get to know her.  The problem was, the girl didn't seem to want to talk.  What could she do?

Tom pulled the car to the parking spot, and looking back at Rebecca, "go in and get your soccer shorts and your jersey top on.  We have time to get you to practice, sweetheart."

"I get to play today?"

"Of course, sweetheart.  Your mom and I talked it over and thought it best.  This will give Leilani a chance to get used our house a little bit and maybe when you are back, you'll both be more comfortable and able to talk."

When Rebecca got out of the car, she ran up and hugged both her parents.  "Thank you so much!"

She ran to the front door waiting for her mom or dad to unlock it.

Tom walked to the backseat, and he undid Lani's belt and helped her out of the car.

"Are you okay?" he asked probably for the fifth time that day to her.  He didn't mean in the way that is she not scared or is she healthy, or not hurt, but more in the way, of is she comfortable coming inside with them?  He didn't really know what else to say at the moment.  "I'll get your bag out of the trunk, and then show you to your new room where we can put your clothes away, okay?"

Lani eyed the extra food nervously. It felt like a trap to her. Of course she wanted the food being offered to her. She didn’t know when she’d get fed again. At the same time however, she didn’t want to get in trouble for taking it.

Thinking quickly, she grabbed the fries and scarfed them down without saying anything. She was willing to risk getting in trouble if it meant she got more to eat.

Charlotte grabbed her bag and collected the trash from everyone’s food before unlocking the front door. “Let me know if you want me to do your hair real quick.” She said with a smile when Rebecca hugged her. She lightly patted her back to tell her to head upstairs to change.

“And make sure you try to go to the bathroom before we leave!” She called as an afterthought. The girl had gone close to an hour ago, but she knew bathrooms weren’t easy to access at the girl’s soccer practice and the soda would make her need to go eventually.

“Do you want to take her or should I? It’s too late for her to catch a ride with her friend like usual.” She asked her husband as he brought Lani in the house.

Lani looked up at Tom while he spoke to her but avoided eye contact. She still wasn’t too fond of anyone yet.

“My room?” She asked in surprise. She had her own room at home with her mom but hadn’t had her own in any of the previous foster homes. They either didn’t have enough rooms for each kid or they were reserved for the biological children.

She wanted to hold her backpack herself, but wasn’t going to tell him that. It wasn’t worth a fight or getting in trouble. She obediently followed him inside the house and tried unsuccessfully to hide her shock. The house seemed huge to her and it was so clean and nice. It was nothing like she was used to at home. 

Tom looked at Lani for a moment.  "Well, I think it would be best if she chose someone to show her around for now.  It would be less stressful for her if she chose.  I know she won't say much, but maybe we can get her to point?"

He dropped his attention to Lani.  "How about it, sweetheart, would you like to point out someone to stay with you and show you around?"

He squatted down next to her, and rubbed her back.  "Auntie C would be happy to help you in your room, or I can do it.  I would like you to choose though because I want you to feel you have some say in what happens in this house when it comes to taking care of you, okay?"

He motioned for Charlotte to come and give her a hug, too.

"I will, mom," Rebecca responded knowing her mom was just helping her with her small overactive bladder.  Sometimes, she hated herself for not being about to control it herself like most of her school friends at school, but there was nothing she could really do about it other than just try to go when she could and listen when her mom told her to try.

When she was let in, she ran to her room to grab her stuff, and after changing, she ran to the bathroom to sit on the toilet for a minute, but when nothing came out, she sighed and got up and went to the kitchen to wait for her parents to decide who was taking her.

Lani straightened for a moment when Tom started rubbing her back. She was on edge still. She didn’t know how to respond to this question. She didn’t feel comfortable around either adult so far, but she was somewhat more trusting of Tom, partially because he’d actually introduced himself to her.

When Charlotte squatted down and reached out to hug her, Lani took a big step backwards and shouted “NO!” as confidently as she could muster. She didn’t really even think before she said it, but rather it just came out.

Charlotte tried not to feel offended when Lani clearly didn’t want to be near her. It definitely hurt though. She forced another smile and stood up. “I’ll take Becks then.” She told Tom.

She turned to her daughter in the kitchen. “Do you have your water bottle kiddo?”

Lani kept a watchful eye on Charlotte as she got up and eventually left with Rebecca. She felt a little safer now though that didn’t say much.