LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Making the best of crappy disposables

DL-Boy

I decided to try to make the best of a bad situation with the crappy Covidien Wings diapers I bought.  The Overnights that I tried twice (still have 16 left) seemed to leak through the fabric outer layer at least once so I have very little faith in the remaining 16 in the bag.

I decided to layer multiple absorbent materials as well as another more reliable outer layer to test them again.  I took a Wings Overnight, placed an Abena Maxi booster inside it and put it on.  Then I took a PUL snap-closure diaper shell and loaded it with two microfiber inserts, and put it on over the Covidien Wings Overnight.  Finally I put my new onesie on over it.  The padding is exquisite!  See photos below:

PUL diaper shell is unsnapped, showing the Covidien Wings Overnight diaper I'm already wearing:

20190921_191356.jpg.2edbc9458fc199f223f23198919c2961.jpg

Light blue PUL snap-closure diaper shell with 2 microfiber inserts, over the disposable:

20190921_191425.jpg.f9b9978b16baf4d5c6d956ecfb8fca46.jpg

Onesie snapped over the diaper shell:

20190921_191444.jpg.95495528da706e9238fe43448ecc6f29.jpg

Standing view closeup:

20190921_192337.jpg.d3f7ae4419f000a4919266e66dd2f3f5.jpg

I like that snap closure diaper! What count is the layers? (My flannel Velcro closure has 12 ply). I have some Better Dry crappy diapers that look similar and have the same cloth outer And flimsy gauzy sides with tapes that don't hold, and that soak through easily. I'm not happy with them at all (love my Abena Abriform though!!) And just wondering how to use them up. 

8 hours ago, Mindylou said:

I like that snap closure diaper! What count is the layers? (My flannel Velcro closure has 12 ply). I have some Better Dry crappy diapers that look similar and have the same cloth outer And flimsy gauzy sides with tapes that don't hold, and that soak through easily. I'm not happy with them at all (love my Abena Abriform though!!) And just wondering how to use them up. 

The snap closure diaper was one of two I bought from Wish.com and they said there was "one insert included" although no inserts came in the package for either.

The diaper cover is the PUL outer layer with the plastic snaps and elastic, with a flannel-textured knit layer inside.  The pocket is in the back but there's no front access to the pocket so the easiest way I found to load multiple inserts was to reach into the pocket, grab the front of the cover from the inside and turn it wrong-side out.  Then stack the inserts together, reach into the wrong-side out pocket, grab the inserts and invert the cover again, leaving the inserts inside the properly oriented pocket.

Each insert was a 4-ply microfiber terrycloth insert and I used two in this configuration giving a total layer count of 8 layers of MF terry.

This wasn't the thickest padding I've used though.  Less than a week later I used two large adult "SQUARE" prefold diapers (doubled), SnappiBaby closures, a velcro PUL cover with two MF inserts in the middle, four 16x19 MF dish towels in the back waist (wings) and one 16x19" MF dish towel in the front waist (wings), covered with a nylon fabric & rubber or vinyl diaper cover.  The thickness was MIND BLOWING.  Couldn't get my legs together at all.  See the thread below:

https://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?/topic/70493-the-most-padded-in-cloth-i-have-ever-been/&do=findComment&comment=1720627

Wow...that's some thick padding!! Good for play time but not real do-able for wearing in public. So I guess the key to those pocket diapers are the inserts.. I haven't learned that much about them yet. So you wear the crappy disposable  first, then the pocket diaper with inserts .. is that soak-proof? Wondering how effective they would be for public wear, just the pocket Diaper with the inserts. They are so cute, it may be a good discreet alternative to regular diapering if we want to wear in public. 

I am so sorry, I told you wrong.. the crappy disposable I have is Fitright...not Better Dry. Not sure where I got that other name. Never ordered that brand. They are definitely more Fit-wrong!! And I told them so in my review on Amazon! 

2 hours ago, Mindylou said:

Wow...that's some thick padding!! Good for play time but not real do-able for wearing in public. So I guess the key to those pocket diapers are the inserts.. I haven't learned that much about them yet. So you wear the crappy disposable  first, then the pocket diaper with inserts .. is that soak-proof? Wondering how effective they would be for public wear, just the pocket Diaper with the inserts. They are so cute, it may be a good discreet alternative to regular diapering if we want to wear in public. 

The snap closure isn't totally leak-proof.  It does have internal leg gathers sort of like leak guards but they terminate at the leg elastic rather than within the lining so that makes them a little less reliable for stopping leg leaks.  Each MF insert is about 0.5" thick (maybe slightly more) when laying flat, although they're eight inches wide and unless a person is extremely bow-legged, it will bunch underneath which causes more thickness.  Estimate that two of the 4-ply MF inserts will add about 4" wide bulk and 2-2.5" of added thickness to the diaper.

When wearing either the snap cover (which barely fits) with inserts or the velcro cover (which is for a larger person), I have to wear the waterproof cover over.  Unfortunately I only have the one and it's 24 years old.  I've been scouring the Internet trying to find the absolute best price for plain no-frills plastic diaper covers.  I've seen them quoted in the "12 Month Diaper Training Program" to be about $3.00 each from a Canadian company but the URL redirects to another Canadian medical site and they're not that reasonable on their prices.