101 members have voted

1. 1. I am mostly a...

• AB
    • DL
    • Sissy
    • Equally AB/DL
    • Caregiver
    • Another choice I'll list below
  2. 2. My measured IQ or converted IQ is...

• 60-69
    • 70-79
    • 80-89
    • 90-99
    • 100-109
    • 110-119
    • 120-129
    • 130-139
    • 140 or above
  3. 3. I used a score...

• From a standard IQ test administered when I was an adult (16+)
    • From a standard IQ test administered before I was an adult (under 16)
    • Converted from an SAT/GRE score
    • From an online IQ test because I totally didn't read the directions
    • From another source I will list below

I'm curious as to whether there's a link between interest in AB/DL-ism and IQ. I did a search and didn't see anything, so sorry if this has already been polled. Anyway, please post your thoughts/questions/comments here, but try not to post any numbers. The point of this is not to have an IQ contest. Not that anyone would ever want to talk about how amazingly smart they are on an online forum. :rolleyes: *Cough*Mensa*Cough*Cough*

Also, please don't include online "IQ" test numbers. I'm pretty sure that those will change the results significantly. So if you've taken a standard IQ test use that score, or else convert your SAT/GRE scores at this site http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/SATIQ.aspx if you took it after April 1995, this site if you took it before April 1995, or this site http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/GREIQ.aspx if you want to use your GRE score from a few years ago. Please use the IQ SD 15. If you took the SAT before 1974, I haven't got a good conversion site for you because it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges, although this whole buisiness is pretty unscientific. If you took some non-standard smarty-pants IQ test, feel free to participate and post what it was below, as long as it is easily convertible.

Whew, sorry for all of the directions. Any theories for how this all correlates are welcome. I'm just curious!

I'm curious as to whether there's a link between interest in AB/DL-ism and IQ. I did a search and didn't see anything, so sorry if this has already been polled. Anyway, please post your thoughts/questions/comments here, but try not to post any numbers. The point of this is not to have an IQ contest. Not that anyone would ever want to talk about how amazingly smart they are on an online forum. :rolleyes: *Cough*Mensa*Cough*Cough*

I had my IQ (amongst many other things) tested frequently by a psych throughout my school years while under various special ed assessments. It always came in about the same so I have no reason to doubt the results :whistling:

For people who took them and felt really good about themselves, online IQ tests are scientific junk I'm afraid. If you feel good about your score, you're more likely to spend thirty bucks on that lovely certificate, huh? One once told me that I was an extreme genius, which is funny because I'm not.

At the risk of big-heading the DD community, another consideration is that this is the most mature AB/DL forum out there by a very long way. I have no doubt that this probably reflects upon the intelligence level of the participants. If you asked the same question on some other forums that I shall not name then I think you would see a more even spread above and below the 100 mark. In fact, that's not true; half the people on the forum I'm thinking of would put 140+ just for kicks.

On the subject of AB/DL intelligence, how smart do the diaper manufacturers think we are? :P

post-8967-1172852279_thumb.jpg

Good point!

I think that you're right that there's going to be an upward bias in the scores (probably on any forum, actually), and for that reason I was thinking about putting in more answer choices at the upper end to catch that (I mean, everyone with an IQ of 160 or above can't be an AB/DL or vice versa, right?), but I was kind of hoping that as long as no one was bragging about how smart they are that people would report their scores honestly. <_>

At the same time, I wouldn't be totally surprised to find that many AB/DLs were pretty intelligent because high childhood IQs and social maladjustment are definately linked, and I feel pretty sure that AB/DL-ism is a coping mechanism of some sort. I guess my question is about what events or combination of circumstances make people like us into us.

But yes, your point is well taken.

Well, I had two IQ tests and SAT. The first IQ test was when I was 8 I think, and I got 135. The second was when I was 11 and I got 147. I always get perfect in the online ones, it seems, so they're not much good (165 at iqtest.com). I had 1450 in my SAT, but I didn't study very hard, so I could probably do better. I dunno what my adult IQ is really, but it's probably above 140 either way.

Also, I can testify to the social maladjustment that a high IQ brings.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know my IQ, but when I was younger, (grades 2 and 3) I was tested for learning disabilties. They found out I'm dislexic and realy realy smart. (that's 2 realys) I have the test results, but I don't understand some of the terminalogy, and some of them simply say what grade level I was functioning at, at the time. It's not saying very much if I say I'm a smart 3rd grader, unless ofcourse I'm in the 2nd grade. But that dosn't realy give me a gage for what I'm at today, now dose it.

• 1 month later...

The conversion site put me somewhere between 136-141. My parents had me take an IQ test when I was about four and I got a 135 on that. Most of the longish online tests put me between 125-145. Except that IQtest.com one, which said I was about 112. I always score much, much better on the spatial and verbal stuff then I do mathematical computation, which I blame on my 8th grade algebra teacher for constantly berating me for making errors, leading me to take only the bare minimum of the math I needed in highschool, and even then to pass them with only low C's. I got out of highschool with a 32 on the ACT (near perfect on the english science parts and a 26 on the math section.) and had a class rank in the top ten percent.

I never considered the connection between intelligence and being an AB/DL. I can tell you, for certain, I was socially maladjusted until I was about 16.

While IQ tests may give a broad range, I don't put much faith in them. It has always seemed to me that intelligence would be extremely difficult to quantify, and that changes in mood, drug/alcohol use, and life conditions could make the tests vary widely.

It'd be like trying to establish a numeric system for grading physical attractiveness. You can put people in percentiles, and come to a general consensus on an individual's position, but it's anything but definite.

I hadn't thought of a link between intelligence and AB/DL, but I can guess from the responses to this poll that we are an intelligent bunch.

A psychiatrist once told me, "If we could find a valve and drain off a few of your IQ points, you'd be a happier person." Why did he say that? Because it is a documented fact that there is a link between higher intelligence and unhappiness. As one example, my father was Mensa level (IQ of 186) and was miserable as a person. I think part of the reason for that is the social maladjustment that comes from having a higher IQ. Those with average IQ's sometimes think we're being a showoff or something, and reject us. And in some cases, a person with a higher IQ might actually BE showing off. My father, for one, never shut up about his intelligence. He was quick to play that card whenever he was disagreed with: "I've got a 186 IQ, so I know!" Made him real popular, as you can imagine.

Could the same unhappiness and social maladjustment possibly tie in with AB/DL? I think I'll create a poll of my own, after considering what questions and options to put in. I'd like to see if there is a connection between unhappiness and AB/DL.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Very interesting question... although I'm fairly certain that we, as a group, would probably look like any other bell curve. Judging by some of the posts on this and other AB/DL boards, it looks as if we're pretty spread out.

I've been tested many times. The first time was when I was barely five, they thought I was slow or retarded due to my inability to be potty trained (a whole 'nother venture).

Depending on the test, I've been scored somewhere between 145 and 180. Although my early academic career was fairly standard, I've always been a good student, I earned my PhD at age 22, well ahead of most. .

Sometimes I think intelligence is just as much a curse as it is a blessing.

Mo

I have taken the WIAT, WISC, and some other tests I cannot recall... during various stages of development... But based on what I remember which is the act and wisc-III I am in the 140+ range... Which I think is accurate for me.. because analytical thinking high level problem solving and such is my thing... Although I seem to be lacking in more normal traits like organization... I am a bed wetter but I have regressed into a AB/DL depending on the time and place it varies... more of a DL... Interesting thoughts about intelligence and diapers.... oh well ....I know a little off topic but I thought it was worth sharing....