LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What'S Your Internet Speed?

chad334

I've never liked those flash based tests, I much prefer just downloading real files.

[root@srv tmp]# wget www.3ftp.org/100MB_nonzero.bin -O /dev/null

--2012-08-14 22:47:08--  http://www.3ftp.org/100MB_nonzero.bin

Resolving www.3ftp.org... 5.9.39.72

Connecting to www.3ftp.org|5.9.39.72|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]

Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[===(Condensed for width)===>] 104,857,600 9.39M/s   in 13s

2012-08-14 22:47:21 (7.79 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

Beg to differ.

While it is true that your telephone line runs dedicated from the exchange to your house, all connections get bundled at the exchange. Depending on the contention ratio that your ISP implements this can mean that you share the outgoing line from the exchange with several thousand users. A 'Quality Of Service' control might be applied and the exchange might be split into 'unbundled local loops', but the line is never a dedicated one.

It's dedicated in the sense that one users traffic isn't going to have a negative impact on another users line, unless the ISP isn't supplying enough bandwidth. With cable you will see latency issues and packet-loss issues because of other users, this isn't the case with DSL. You would only notice less kb/s.

Guest jeff142

jeff@jeff:~$ wget www.3ftp.org/100MB_nonzero.bin -O /dev/null

--2012-08-14 23:18:39-- http://www.3ftp.org/100MB_nonzero.bin

Resolving www.3ftp.org (www.3ftp.org)... 5.9.39.72

Connecting to www.3ftp.org (www.3ftp.org)|5.9.39.72|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]

Saving to: `/dev/null'

0% [ ] 649,584 30.5K/s eta 56m 0s

or

2120314311.png

Its on a boostmoble HTC rooted with wifi tethering, the only way for me to get internet.

its even slower in the day

It's dedicated in the sense that one users traffic isn't going to have a negative impact on another users line, unless the ISP isn't supplying enough bandwidth. With cable you will see latency issues and packet-loss issues because of other users, this isn't the case with DSL. You would only notice less kb/s.

If you are quoting a 1:1 contention ratio, I will admit that you are right. Around here in the south of Britain it's commonly more like a 1:50 CR. And the phone lines are, in most places, half rotten. This makes, in my opinion, cable the better choice. And as the outgoing bandwidth from the exchange is seldom brilliant, you get the slowdown at busy times just as much on DSL as on cable. Because: in the end, from your local loop onwards, everyone is on a shared line.

Comparing the slowdown (again, here in the south of Britain) is a bit like the discussion about communism and capitalism: The communists have all an equal slice of the cake, but you will find that the unevenly divided capitalist cake is so much larger, that it's smallest slice is bigger than the equally divided communist cake.

Excusing my way more then normal connection I run on.

Around here cable will give you a faster connection as the the copper line before it hits fiber is much much shorter. I'm lucky as I live over the road from my local exchange and on top of that my line was replaced not that long ago. But my exchange also services people 3 miles away. and they get a piss poor ADSL connection (For example I get a single 1 ADSL speed of 23.something meg at my house but someone being served by the same exchange about 2 miles away gets a piss poor 2meg) Now Cable does offer a better speed, but also has its draw backs. For example I can see all the packets being sent to your house if your connected to the same green box as my house is. So those plain text cookies which keep you logged in. Yup your sharing those with others, the thing is those around you prob are not interested in your packets so never even listen for them.

Personally, I wont give Vermin Media my cash because well they broke their promises to me so many times I no longer trust them. And on the other hand. When I consider moving house on my list of things about the place is "What is the internet speed"

Sadly we have fallen behind other places with internet speed. The roll out of FTTC and FTTP will help, sadly unless your in an area that the big ISP's deem worth its gonna take an age before we start getting gigabit speeds.

If you are quoting a 1:1 contention ratio, I will admit that you are right. Around here in the south of Britain it's commonly more like a 1:50 CR. And the phone lines are, in most places, half rotten. This makes, in my opinion, cable the better choice. And as the outgoing bandwidth from the exchange is seldom brilliant, you get the slowdown at busy times just as much on DSL as on cable. Because: in the end, from your local loop onwards, everyone is on a shared line.

Comparing the slowdown (again, here in the south of Britain) is a bit like the discussion about communism and capitalism: The communists have all an equal slice of the cake, but you will find that the unevenly divided capitalist cake is so much larger, that it's smallest slice is bigger than the equally divided communist cake.

Really all depends on your location, we can talk about the technical aspects of each, but one or the other might be the best choice depending on location.

Such as I live in the Silicon Valley, where the max DSL I can get is 3Mb down / 1Mb up as the phones lines are crap to my house. On the other hand about 10 years ago the cable company ran Fiber Cable in my neighborhood, so from the street to the house is the only place that is still coax.

I get 30Mb down / 4Mb up all the time, not matter if it is peak usage times or not. When I first got cable internet and I was only getting 7Mb and was suppose to be getting 10Mb, the guy even said to call back if I was not getting the advertised speed. Since then there has been a couple problems where they had to do repairs on the street that slowed it or the occasional outage. Though nothing like when I had DSL and the problems it had.