LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

The Family Babies

It's been a while since my last post. Life has been a little hectic. Gloria's going to take over the narration from Teddy for the next episode or two. It's time we heard the story from her point of view.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 22 -- Gloria’s Story (Part 1)

I’ve been enjoying reading Teddy’s story of what our lives were like as kids back in the 1950’s. This last chapter dealt with one of the worst days of my life up to that point. I figured it was time for Teddy to let me add some of my thoughts to the story. So here goes.

In a way, Teddy was right. Wearing diapers IS different for girls. Oh, its not our “plumbing” that makes it different. From that perspective, it’s easier for us. Not having a penis that can point in just about any direction means fewer leaky diapers. It’s the social pressure that makes wearing diapers more difficult for girls past the age of three or so. Diapers and pretty, delicate clothes just don’t go well together.

Both Teddy and I had managed to lead pretty happy lives despite our incontinence. Understanding families -- my Mom and Teddy’s Dad both continued to have problems with both bladder and bowel incontinence, remember, and “the problem” had been in the family for generations -- helped a lot. The fact that we were both good students, with decent personalities and not weird looking or anything like that helped, too. Besides, we had lived in Mayfield and gone to school there all our lives. People knew we were “different,” but because we’d been part of their world for a long time, they accepted us without much fuss.

Until I was more than three years old, I didn’t know that wearing diapers and plastic pants made me different from other kids. I didn’t pay much attention to how wet or messy my diapers were, because either Mom or Dad checked regularly and changed my diapers whenever they needed changing. Getting my diapers changed annoyed me sometimes, especially when I was in the middle of doing something I enjoyed. I didn’t especially mind being wet, r even messy. But I learned pretty early that, when Mom or Dad said “Come and get your dIaper changed,” they meant right now, not when it was convenient for me.

Then one day, as you may remember from reading the story, Teddy told me how his Mom had said he was grown up enough to be responsible for telling her or Teddy’s Dad when his diaper needed changing. Teddy was proud of this new responsibility, aas he told me about it. I was about six months younger than Teddy, but it didn’t take long for me to get the hang of discovering when my diaper needed attention . That very day, I began asking for diaper changes when I knew I needed them. Asking to have my diapers changed DID make me feel more grown up!

What Teddy didn’t tell me was that he and I were different from other kids, that we’d be in diapers long after others our age were clean and dry. When Teddy’s younger sister Susan was potty trained and neither Teddy nor I could manage to stay dry, I asked Mom why a two-year-old could do something I couldn’t do. Mom told me about the “family problem” and also told me that both she and Teddy’s Dad still needed to wear diapers sometimes even though they were all grown up.

It was a while before I could accept the fact that I was different in such a visible way from other kids. I insisted that Mom try to potty train me. She made the effort even though she knew there was no hope of success. Oh, I managed to make it to the potty now and then, but my training pants were usually as wet and messy as my diapers. My clothes and the furniture were often wet, too, as they hadn’t been before.

After two weeks or so. I gave up on potty training. One morning, when Mom was changing me out of my night diapers into training pants, I said “Please, Mom, could I wear diapers today?” Mom didn’t object. In fact, I think she use a lille extra baby lotion that morning as she diapered me.

Then came a time when I would insist that someone else had wet or soiled my diaper. I couldn’t possibly have done it. I was a big girl!

“Yes, you are a big girl, Susan,” Mom would assure me. “I’m a big girl, too, and I need to wear diapers, don’t I?”

My little friends didn’t have any problems accepting the fact that I wore diapers and they didn’t. Some of them had trouble staying dry at night, and knew what needing to wear diapers was like. When i pooped, some would say “Eww, that’s yucky, go get your diaper changed!” Of course, being around someone with a poopy diaper CAN be yucky, so I learned not to be offended by their urgent requests...

Some of my friends secretly or not so secretly envied me because I got to wear diapers. They sometimes asked to see them, so I’d show them my plastic pants (usually white but sometimes pastels and occasionaly with ruffles) and let them peek at the diaper and the big diaper pins. One friend, Mary Patricia, asked my Mom to diaper her when she was at my house one day. Mom said she’d have to have her Mom’s permission, which, surprisingly, her Mom granted.

Mary Patricia and I played all afternoon. She told me how strange (but comfortable) the diapers felt. When she had to pee, she got a little scared and almost couldn’t let it out. I told her not to think about it so much, and, in just a little while, Mary Patricia flooded her diaper. Mine was already soaked, so I suggested we get our diapers changed. Mary Patricia really liked getting changed!

It wasn’t long before Mary Patricia was wearing diapers at my house several times every week. We had a sleepover, and Mary Patricia was diapered the whole time. She was disappointed when she woke up dry, but relaxed and soaked her diaper soon after. A little while later, Mary Patricia started grunting and got a funny look on her face as she pooped in her diaper. She just did it like it was the most natural thing in the world, which, I suppose, it was. When Mom came into the room, she thought it was me who’d pooped. This time I wasn’t kidding when I said someone else had done it!

As the time came to start kindergarten, Mary Patricia’s interest in wearing diapers diminished, as her mother had known it would. Every now and then she’d ask to be diapered. She’d enjoy the experience, but the attraction of pretty panties was stronger for Mary Patricia than whatever pleasure being diapered might offer. Other mothers might do well to remember that allowing a potty trained kid to wear diapers agan won’t hurt them. They’re just doing it to satisfy curiosity, and maybe to re-connect with a time when life was simpler.

You’ll probably remember that Teddy and I had begun school wearing what Teddy has been calling “Just In Time” pants. I remember them as “Just In Case” pants, but they didn’t really have an official name. They were never sold commercially. My dad invented them for us to wear to school. You couldn’t tell what they were just by looking at them.

The way Teddy described how “Just In Case” pants were put together is also not quite accurate, but it’s close. The pants were made of three layers. Thick training pants made up the inner layer. Plastic pants were sewn over the training pants, and regular underwear was sewn over the plastic pants. Just in Case pants would protect agaInst a little accident, but couldn’t handle a major wetting.

The problem was, neither Teddy nor I could ever really stay dry. We went to the bathroom with the other kids, but I don’t remember a single day when my “Just In Case” pants were dry when I came home from school. Often they were soaked, even if I’d changed when I came home for lunch. I wet pretty much without being aware I was wetting. Sometimes I had to poop without any notice, too, and, of course, that meant pooping in my “Just In Time” pants. That could be embarrasing, although both Teddy and i learned to leave the room quickly when it started to happen. Nurse Richardson kept a supply of clean Just in Case pants ready for us in her office.

I wore diapers pretty much everywhere except to school, as Teddy did. We didn’t wear diapers to school because, generally, diapered kids weren’t allowed in regular classes. They had to attend “Special Education” like Teddy’s friend Doug did. By the time we’d finished third grade, Teddy was pretty tired of “Just In Case” pants. With the support of the school nurse and his family, he received permission to attend school in diapers.

I didn’t ask for permission to wear diapers to school. I had hoped I’d be gaining more bladder and bowel control. I didn’t want to take a step that would mark me as different from other kids in such a visible way.

Unfortunately, I didn’t gain control. If anything, what little control I had seemed to be disappearing. I was constantly on edge, trying to keep my pants clean and dry and never really succeeding. Teddy and Linda Casey, our new friend, had a much easier time of it. They just went to Nurse Richardson’s office when they needed to and had their diapers changed. No one made a big deal out of it. My frequent accidents, on the other hand, couldn’t help but draw attention. Kids weren’t cruel, but Gloria Randle’s daily accidents weren’t easy to ignore.

In the last chapter, you read about how, in a conversation with Teddy and Linda after an especially difficult day, I finally reached a point of near hysteria. As my Mom changed my diaper and helped me clean up my tear-stained face, I decided it was time to give up the struggle to stay dry.

“Your Dad and I thought this might happen, Honey,” Mom said, trying to comfort me. “A few weeks ago, we spoke with your teacher, the principal, and Nurse Richardson,” Mom said. “They were very understanding, and said they’d been expecting your call. You can start wearing diapers to school tomorrow. No one will make any fuss over it. You’ll just need to be responsible for getting your diapers changed when they need changing.”

“Okay, Mom,” I agreed, feeling both relieved and defeated. “At least now I’ll be able to concentrate more on my school work and won’t have to worry about keeping dry.”

By this time, Teddy and Linda had come looking to have their diapers changed. They heard the last of my conversation with Mom. Both of them smiled -- a bit sadly but they smiled -- and hugged me. I knew that, while they had wanted me to succeed at staying clean and dry, they were glad that the struggle to stay dry was over for me, at least for now.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 23 -- Gloria’s Story (Part 2)

By the end of the next school day, I found myself wondering why I’d waited so long to ask to wear diapers to school. My “diaper debut” was very much a non-event. I didn’t need to leave the room until morning recess, when everyone else left the room, too. Mom had dropped off a supply of diapers and plastic pants at Nurse Richardson’s office first thing in the morning. I wouldn’t have to wear the scratchy school diapers.

Teddy and Linda headed straight for Nurse Richardson’s office. I hung back, pretending to be looking for a pencil that had fallen on the floor. The truth was that I knew I was going to poop any second, and I wanted some privacy while I did it. If this had been yesterday, I would have been running frantically for the girls’ room, and i might not have made it. I remember feeling glad I didn’t have to worry.

I think the teacher knew what I was up to. Mrs. Winkler left the room, leaving me alone. I pushed just a little and quickly filled my diaper. It wasn’t an awful load of poop, but it felt good not to have to try to hold it in. When I had finished pooping, I calmly walked to the nurse’s office, where Linda was in the middle of having her diaper changed and Teddy was waiting.

“What kept you?” Teddy asked. “Did you forget you were wearing diapers today?” Then he got a whiff of what was in my diaper and said, his face reddening, “Never mind. I’m sorry I asked.”

“It’s okay,” I answered. “Actually, this is a lot easier than racing to the girl’s room and having an accident on the way.”

“Believe me, I know,” Teddy said. “I hardly ever think about it anymore. Linda and I just come here every time we have recess. Neither one of us ever has leaks.”

“Even when one of you poops, you’re out the door before anyone smells it,” I said, trying to be complimentary.

“Yeah, we pretty much have it figured out,” Teddy replied. Just then, Linda rolled out of the treatment room, followed by Nurse Richardson.

“Good morning, Gloria,” Nurse Richardson greeted me, smiling. “I’ll bet Teddy won’t mind waiting while I clean you up. Come on back.”

Teddy didn’t mind at all. Nurse Richardson worked as efficiently as she always did, and soon all three of us were clean, dry, and on our way out to the playground with more than fifteen minutes of recess left.

Mom changed my diaper again at lunchtime. I didn’t think I needed a change at afternoon recess, so I didn’t go for one, but my diaper was close to leaking by the time I got home after school.

Walking home with Teddy, I said “I guess I need to be a little more careful.”

‘You’ll get used to it,” Teddy answered. “It’s really best to let Nurse Richardson check your diaper at every recess.”

“I guess that’s what I’ll do,” I said. And I did, every day after that. It wasn’t long before I was completely used to the routine of being in diapers every day at school.

I had an interview with the school psychologist, just to make sure I was adjusting okay. Dr. Forest and I just talked, and he seemed pleased that everything was going so well.

In November, Dr. Feldman, the pediatric urologist, and Dr. Lawrence, the pediatric proctologist examined both Teddy and me, like they did every six months. They discovered that, instead of improving, the ability to control bowel and bladder was deteriorating in both of us. In the May exam, I’d shown more signs of control than Teddy. Now, we were about equal, which was to say that neither one of us had much useful control at all.

We were healthy in every other way, though, so both doctors encouraged us to make the best of things and not be concerned about having to wear diapers. That sounded like good news to both Teddy and me.

Both of us, and Linda, too, were involved in the school band, and stayed after school three days a week to practice. Teddy’s trumpet playing was getting a lot better, I was doing pretty well on clarinet, and Linda showed real talent for playing the flute. Linda and I were both involved in Brownies, and Teddy had started Cub Scouts. Wearing diapers didn’t keep us from taking part in any of the activities we enjoyed.

Fourth grade turned out to be a great year for all three of us. We did well in school, band, and our activities, and we had a lot of fun. In most respects, we were normal kids.

Teddy’s friend, Doug, was even doing better than he had. Doug’s dad had been so ill, the doctors thought he might not make it. Right after the New Year, though, he began a slow recovery. Unfortunately, by this time Doug had regressed pretty much to babyhood. He could still do fourth grade work in school, but he sucked on a pacifier most of the time, drank only from a bottle, wore babyish clothes with snap crotch pants for easy diaper changing, and often talked baby talk.

Knowing his father would get well helped Doug feel better, but he was so used to being treated like a baby that it wasn’t easy for him to “grow up” again. The principal, superintendent, and the school psychologist decided to move him back into the regular fourth grade classroom with the rest of us. Doug also had regular weekly sessions with Dr. Forest, the school psychologist. By the end of the school year, Doug had given up his pacifier, his bottles, and baby talk. He was still in diapers all the time, although he’d begun using the toilet at home.

My Dad had given Doug’s parents several pairs of Just in Case pants, not to be worn to school, but rather at home, where he was always near a toilet. At least once every hour, Doug’s Mom or Grandmother -- his Dad, too, once he was feeling better -- made him sit on the toilet for five minutes. If he peed or pooped in the toilet, he’d get a reward. If he kept his pants dry o a whole day, he’d get a bigger reward. Doug didn’t like potty training at first, but he knew he’d have to go through it. His parents knew he had no physical problems with bladder or bowel control and they insisted.

Just after school was out, Doug started wearing Just in Case pants at night as well as all day. His potty training was almost complete. He really didn’t need the Just in Case pants, but he was allowed to wear them for the secure feeling they gave him.

As he continued to get better, Doug began coming to my house, Teddy’s, or Linda’s more and more often after school and on weekends. We became kind of a foursome. Doug was a nice guy, really. While he was still wearing diapers, he’d sometimes say “excuse me,” and go off in a corner, squat, and fill his diaper. At least he was polite about it. Neither Teddy, Linda, nor I could count on enough notice to do that. Doug would forget he was holding his pee, sometimes. Then he’d really flood his diaper all at once.

“Just like my sister did right before she was potty trained,” Teddy remembered. Doug knew he was close to being out of diapers completely. He was a little sad about it, but he didn’t really mind.

By the time school was over, neither Teddy nor I were ever using the toilet anymore. We had just about no bladder or bowel control at all. The best we could hope for was to hold back a bowel movement until we had some privacy, but even that didn’t happen very often. Our bladders just emptied whenever they needed to, usually not a whole lot at once, but enough so that we were nearly always at least a little bit wet.

Both of us were doing a good job of asking for diaper changes when we needed them. I don’t remember that either of us ever had leaky diapers, except once in a while in the morning.

Both of Teddy’s parents and mine were excellent diaper changers. Linda’s folks were good at it, too. So was Teddy’s older sister, Patty. Linda, Teddy, and I were all comfortable having our diapers changed by any of them. Teddy’s younger sister, Susan, wanted to learn to change diapers so she could help out, but no one thought that, at eight, she was ready for that. I didn’t like the idea of Susan trying to pin my diapers on. The mere thought of it made me say ”ouch.” I didn’t remember EVER being stuck by a diaper pin, and i didn’t want to start now.

Linda, Teddy, Doug, and I were all good friends. Teddy and Linda were sort of sweethearts, as well, at least as much as nine -- well, almost ten -- year olds can be sweethearts. With summer coming, Linda and Teddy weren’t looking forward to nearly two months apart from each other.

“Maybe Linda could come to the farm,” Teddy suggested.

“Or maybe all three of you would like to go some place different this summer,” Teddy’s dad replied. “All of us parents have been talking, and we’ve found a summer camp designed just for kids like you.”

“You mean kids who wear diapers?” I asked.

“Yes, exactly,” Teddy’s Dad answered. “It’s called “Camp Celebrate Life.” It’s for kids from about age 8 through 18 who are different in some significant way from kids who are called “normal.” Some can’t walk, some can’t see, some can’t hear, many wear diapers. The whole purpose of the camp is to teach kids to do everything they can with whatever resources they have available. There’s swimming, boating, sports, drama club, arts and crafts, and even a band. Every kid is considered normal, because Camp Celebrate Life says that normal means what’s usual for you.

The news took both me and Teddy by surprise. We weren’t so sure we liked the idea, although it did seem to have some interesting possibilities.

“Do we get to say whether we want to go or not?” I asked.

“Sure!” Teddy’s Dad realized that the news must be a bit of a shock to both of us. “There’s going to be an open house at the camp next weekend. We thought the three of you might like to take a look around the camp, talk to some of the counselors, and see if you’d like to sign up for the summer.”

“We’d miss all the cousins at the farm,” I said.

“And Playland,” Teddy added.

“But you might have a lot more fun than you think, “ Teddy’s Dad said, trying to be encouraging.

Teddy and I called Linda, whose parents had just finished telling her about the idea of spending the summer at Camp Celebrate Life.

“I want to check it out, guys,” Linda said. “I’ve never been swimming or boating or any of that stuff, and I sure would like to try.”

Neither Teddy nor I had thought of what Camp Celebrate Life might mean to Linda. Being in a wheel chair all her life, she’d missed opportunities we’d taken for granted. Linda was our friend -- and Teddy’s sort of sweetheart. We agreed that all of us would go to the open house on the weekend.

When we hung up the phone, I noticed that Teddy’s pants were wet in the back. He noticed that mine were, too. In all the excitement over the surprise news of Camp Celebrate Life, we hadn’t noticed how wet our diapers were. For the first time in months, we each had a daytime leak.

In the next chapter, you'll hear from Teddy's little sister, Susan. She's been a minor character up to now, but she's really a very interesting kid.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 24 -- Open House

Hi! I’m Susan, Teddy’s younger sister. In the story you’re reading I’m an eight year old girl. Gosh that was a long time ago! I understand why Teddy is writing his story. It wasn’t all that easy for him and Gloria, growing up in diapers. There were times when, as a so-called “normal” kid, I’d forget what it was like for them, for their friend, Linda, and for others like them.

I remember how, shortly after I was potty trained, I felt superior to my big brother because he was still in diapers. Having to wear diapers again for a week or so because of a bladder infection brought me down a notch. I never again made fun of kids who had to wear diapers. I really did want to learn to change diapers, though, and I didn’t think it was fair that Mom or Patty wouldn’t teach me, and that neither Linda, Teddy nor Gloria had no interest in me practicing by changing their diapers.

When I heard about the special camp where a lot of the kids wore diapers, I wanted to go with them to the open house. Mom thought I might be bored, since the camp wasn’t for kids like me. I didn’t mind. I just wanted to see what the camp was like. Finally, everyone agreed I could go, but I had to promise to remember that this was Teddy, Gloria and Linda’s special day. I brought along a coloring book, crayons, a Nancy Drew mystery, and some paper dolls in case I got bored.

The camp was a four hour drive from Mayfield. We’d be leaving at six in the morning to get there by ten. Dad didn’t want to have to stop along the way, so he decided to diaper himself to keep from having to worry about having an accident. Dad wore diapers every night, and fairly often during the day. Occasionally I’d see him in his plastic pants with his diaper showing. I’d seen him that way all my life, so, as far as I was concerned, this was nothing unusual.

What WAS unusual was to see a diaper bulge under my mother’s shorts. I didn’t remember ever seeing her in diapers before.

“Mom?” The question was in my voice. “What’s going on?”

“It’s going to be a long trip and there aren’t a lot of places to stop along the way, so I thought this would be the easiest way to handle it,” Mom answered.

“Uh, does that mean..?” My voice trailed off. Mom knew what I was asking.

“You could always stay home with Patty and Gloria’s brothers,” Mom reminded me.

“No, it’s okay.” I answered. Can we wait to put the diapers on until after I poop, though?”

“Of course!” Mom said. “I was hoping you could poop before we left.”

“Speaking of poop,” Mom observed. “Seems like Teddy’s already got that taken care of.”

My brother had just come into the kitchen, his diapers sagging as they always did in the morning. This morning Teddy was “carrying cargo,” the code phrase he used when he had a messy diaper.

“Yup.” Teddy wasn’t self-conscious about his bowel and bladder incontinence anymore. “It’s a pretty full load.”

“Why don’t you eat your cereal and drink your orange juice while I change Teddy’s diaper?” Mom asked.

I sat down at the breakfast table with my Rice Krispies and my Nancy Drew mystery. Dad had already loaded the car top carrier with a picnic cooler, three diaper bags, and other essentials. Now he was sitting with me at the table, eating toast and drinking a cup of coffee. It was 5:15. We’d be leaving on time. Our family valued punctuality. I was probably the least punctual member of the family. This morning, though, I’d managed to get up and take my shower before anyone else was awake. I was rather proud of myself.

Dad was proud of me, too. He said so. I put down my Nancy Drew, and I guess I beamed. “Thanks, Dad!” I said.

“If Teddy goes off to camp and Patty gets the summer job as an assistant playground supervisor, this summer will be a little different from what we’re used to” Dad said.

“I know,” I answered. “I really like it at the farm. Do you think I could go even if Teddy and Patty aren’t going to be there?”

“Why not?” Dad asked. “There won’t be as many cousins there this year, probably, but you’ll still have a good time.”

“It’ll be strange without the family babies,” I said.

“Maybe they’ll decide not to go to camp,” Dad said. “The open house today should help them make up their minds.”

Teddy came back into the kitchen just then. His hair was wet from his shower. There was a bigger than usual bulge in the back of his shorts. I figured he must be wearing extra diapers for the trip. Teddy helped himself to a big bowl of shredded wheat, his favorite cereal.

Mom asked “Ready, Susan?”

“I guess so,” I answered, following her to Teddy’s bedroom where there was a big changing table.

I hopped up on the changing table. Mom slipped off my shorts, undershirt, and panties, leaving me naked except for my socks and sneakers. She slipped one of the special tee shirts with diaper pin tabs over my head. It was one that Teddy had grown out of, a nice powder blue. Then she pinned on a specially folded set of three diapers, using four pins as she always did. After that, Mom slid on a pair of white plastic pants. Again, Teddy had outgrown them, but they fit me perfectly. Finally, she helped me put my shorts back on. The shorts fit a little more snugly than they had before, but they were still comfortable.

It felt a little weird to be diapered. I had to admit, though, that it wasn’t a bad kind of weird. Just different.

Uncle Phil and Aunt Bridget drove up, along with Gloria, Andy, and Chuck. Andy and Chuck were staying behind with my big sister Patty. They were all going swimming at the town pool.

There was enough room in our big station wagon for all of us to ride together. Teddy, Gloria, and I climbed into the third seat, Mom and Aunt Bridget sat in the middle seat, and Dad and Uncle Phil sat up front. We pulled out of our driveway at exactly 6:00 A.M. Like I said, punctuality was a family tradition. Linda and her family were driving to the camp in their specially equipped van that could lift Linda’s wheel chair and lock it in place.

I dozed off before we’d driven two miles. That was another family tradition. I always slept in the car. When I woke up an hour and a half later, I needed to pee. I was just about to ask Dad to stop somewhere when I remembered I was wearing diapers. I was a little surprised at how easy it was to just let go into the diaper. The warm, pleasant feeling as the wetness started spreading through the diaper woke up memories.

Teddy and Gloria were asleep next to me. I knew their diapers were probably wetter than mine. Both of them wet uncontrollably pretty much all the time. In a few minutes, I was asleep again.

I woke up just as we were leaving the main road following a sign that said “Camp Celebration.” I stretched, yawned, and wet my diaper again. Teddy and Gloria were just waking up, too.

It was 9:40. We’d made good time because we hadn’t had to stop along the way. I saw we were among the first to arrive. We parked near a building with a sign that said “Family Restrooms.” I’d never seen a sign like that before. I wondered what it meant.

One of the camp counselors said that family restrooms were a new idea that allowed everyone in a family to use a toilet or have their diapers changed in the same place. Teddy really liked this idea. He was getting pretty tired of having his diapers changed in women’s restrooms. Everyone else thought family restrooms were a good idea, too.

Mom slipped into a stall. I heard her peeing in a toilet. Mom could go a LONG time between bathroom breaks. She told me her diaper had been dry. She wasn’t sorry she’d worn it, though, and hadn’t taken it off. She’d just pushed the diaper aside so she could pee in the toilet

Uncle Phil was using a toilet, too. He was the only one in the car who hadn’t been wearing a diaper. After a four hour ride, he really had to go.

Dad and Aunt Bridget needed to change their diapers. They followed Mom and Uncle Phil into the stalls. Neither of them needed help changing. They’d had a lot of years of practice.

Gloria and Teddy’s diapers were soaked, and Gloria had pooped in hers just as we were getting out of the car. I was glad she’d been able to wait, and not stink up the car! I noticed that my own diaper felt heavy and wet, wetter than I’d thought it would be. After Gloria and Teddy had their diapers changed, Mom said “Oh, Susan, I’m sorry. I should have let you use the toilet before I started changing eveyone’s diapers.”

“I don’t need to use the toilet, Mom,” I said. “But I do need to have my diaper changed.”

Mom smiled. “Of course,” she sad. I should have realized you’d be wet. Four hours in a car is a long time.”

“You stayed dry,” I said.

“I almost didn’t,” Mom admitted. “I almost had to use the diaper.”

“It felt kind of good to wet my diaper,” I said,a little surprised.

“Kind of tickled, didn’t it?” Mom said, smiling, as I climbed up onto the changing table. I nodded, and giggled just a little.

“Wow, your diaper was really soaked!” Mom exclaimed as she was unpinning it..

“I just went in my diapers when I needed to pee,” I said. “Wasn’t that what I was supposed to do?”

“Of course it was, Honey,” Mom said. “You did good, honest!”

Mom cleaned me up and rediapered me, not thinking to ask if I’d rather have my panties back on. Come to think of it, Mom hadn’t brought along any panties for me. I knew I’d have to wear diapers all day. I realized that I didn’t mind.

People were moving toward a big building that said “Big Timbers.” Dad said this was the dining hall. Dining tables had been folded and stacked. The room was set up with enough chairs for everyone. Orange juice and coffee had been set out on a long counter. There were donuts and cookies, too. We helped ourselves.

Linda and her parents were already seated in the front row. Teddy pulled a chair up next to Linda’s wheel chair, and Gloria sat on Linda’s other side. I sat a few rows back with Mom, Dad, Uncle Phil, and Aunt Bridget.

I felt a little out of place. I saw more wheel chairs than I’d ever seen. Some of the kids were obviously blind. I could tell from the red-tipped white canes they were carrying. Others were talking in sign language, so I could tell they were deaf. More than half the kids I saw were showing diaper bulges under their pants. I realized that anyone looking at the group would think I was one of the diapered kids. How could they think otherwise? I WAS wearing several diapers and plastic pants, after all.

I realized, suddenly, that I was wetting my diaper again. Boy, THAT was a surprise! I hadn’t felt any urge to pee. I squirmed a little in my seat. Mom looked at me. I wondered if she knew what I’d just done.

A friendly sounding man stood up in front of the group and introduced himself as Jim Anderson. Mr. Anderson began to tell us about the camp. He talked about all the sports and other activities. Then he showed us some slides of kids swimming, paddling canoes, sailing small boats and doing lots of other things. Everyone was invited to explore the camp and talk to the counselors and camp directors. There would be hot dogs, hamburgers, and salads for lunch outdoors. The lake was open for swimming, although the water was still cold. Anyone who wanted to could borrow a special Camp Celebration swimsuit. Both the boys’ and the girls’ models had snap crotches for easy diaper changing. Both boys’ and girls’ swimsuits also had shoulder straps. Soggy diapers wouldn’t fall off. The straps would keep that from happening. Kids who didn’t wear diapers could use the special swimsuits, too. Thy were quite comfortable over regular underwear.

At 2:00 there would be another meeting in Big Timbers to answer any questions people might have. Mr. Anderson thanked everyone for coming, said he hoped we’d all enjoy our day at Camp Celebration, and asked if there were any questions he could answer right then.

One woman raised her hand and asked where restrooms and diaper changing stations were. Mr. Anderson put up a slide with loccations clearly marked. He apologized for not mentioning that maps were available at all the doors.

Someone else asked if there were any restrictions on who could swim in the lake.

“Are you asking whether kids in diapers are allowed to swim?” Mr. Anderson asked.

“Yes,” was the response.

“Absolutely,” the man said. “We encourage diapered children and adults to swim in the lake. All we ask is that, if a diaper becomes soiled, the person wearing the diaper have it changed right away.”

“By the way,” Mr. Anderson said. “Of course we have equipment to help people in wheel chairs get into the lake, too.”

There were no more questions.

Teddy was already pushing Linda’s wheel chair toward the nearest exit. Gloria was following close behind. I followed Mom, Dad, Uncle Phil, Aunt Bridget, and Linda’s parents. Mom asked if I needed to use the restroom. I shook my head and smiled coyly.

“Oh, I see,” Mom said. Better let me check your diaper, then, okay?”

“Okay,” I said. Mom checked my diaper. She saw that it was wet but didn’t need changing. Right after she checked me, I wet my diaper again.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 25 -- Too Good To Be True?

Hi, again. It’s Teddy. I wanted to jump back in here to tell you about open house at Camp Celebration from my point of view.

It felt a little strange to see my sister Susan in diapers again. It had been more than five years since I’d seen her in one. What concerned me a little was that she seemed to be enjoying the experience. I had noticed Mom checking Susan’s diaper. I supposed hat meant she wasn’t using the toilet today. I knew how careful Susan was about not having accidents. Knowing she was wetting when she didn’t have to puzzled me. It seemed so unlike her.

I’d never say that there aren’t a lot of things to enjoy about wearing diapers. Susan didn’t need them, though, and I hoped she wouldn’t get too attached to wearing them. I didn’t really think that one day in diapers would undo Susan’s potty training, though. I would find out later what a wrong assumption that was!

I wish you could have seen Linda’s face when she found out she could get into the lake and go swimming for the first time in her life. Boy, she really lit up! I was pushing Linda’s chair toward the lake front, and Gloria was coming along with us. Linda’s Mom and dad caught up with us and said “Slow down a little! The lake won’t dry up before you get into it!”

By this time, Mom, Dad, Uncle Phil, and Aunt Bridget had joined us. They gave Gloria and me permission to go swimming, and said Susan could go swimming, too. We took off our tee shirts and shorts, socks and sneakers and left them in lockers where they’d be safe. Then we put on our swimsuits.

I’d never worn anything like one of those special swimsuits before. I’d always worn a regular swimsuit over my diapers and plastic pants. This swimsuit was quite a bit different. The easiest way to put it on was to pull it over my head like a tee shirt, adjust the straps on my shoulders, and snap the crotch buttons over my plastic pants. It was easy. Susan and Gloria had no trouble getting their swimsuits on, and Linda’s mother mentioned how easy it was to help Linda into her swimsuit.

Linda said to Gloria, Susan, and me, “OK, now you three go jump in the lake, and I’ll join you there in a minute!”

The lifeguard said it was okay to jump from the dock where the special slings for wheel chair folks were set up. As soon as we jumped, though, we regretted it. The water was COLD! In a few minutes, though, it got more comfortable. I was sure I’d wet my diaper when I first jumped in. Gloria probably had wet hers, too. I wouldn’t have been surprised if Susan had also wet.

The water by the dock was shallow enough for us to stand on the bottom. Linda’s Mom and Dad helped the lifeguard strap her into the sling. Then they swung the sling out over the lake and started lowering it toward the water. Susan was giggling!

As her feet touched the cold water, Linda squealed a little bit, but she didn’t tell them to stop. Soon she was lowered all the way into the lake. As her feet touched the bottom, Linda smiled like she’d never smiled before. She was standing, just like the rest of us. Sure, the sling held her up. But she could walk around and even paddle some. I’d never seen Linda so happy.

We splashed around in the water for a while. Linda encouraged all of us to swim out to the raft, about 100 feet away from the beach. Susan and Gloria swam out to the raft, but I stayed with Linda.

Gloria and Susan waved to us when they climbed up on to the raft. I noticed that Susan remembered to pull on the elastic in her plastic pants to let out the water that had gotten in while she was swimming. I knew she’d seen Gloria and me do that enough times that she didn’t need to be taught how. Still, seeing Susan in diapers, acting like she wore them all the time, was an unfamiliar sight.

It wasn’t too much longer before Linda started getting cold. Reluctantly, she allowed the lifeguard to pull her out of the lake. Linda’s Mom wrapped her in a beach towel, sat her back down in her chair, and started pushing her toward the changing rooms.

I decided to take a quick swim out to the raft. Susan and Gloria were still there. We practiced a few dives. Gloria and I were rusty from not having been in the water since the previous summer. Susan’s first attempts at diving were surprisingly good. My little sister was growing up!

We swam back to the beach. Mom and Aunt Bridget went with Gloria and Susan to the women’s changing room. Dad went with me to the men’s. On the way, I noticed Susan stopped and squatted a little. She must have been pooping her diaper, I realized. It didn’t take her long. When she was finished, she caught up with the others. She was walking a little funny, which was to be expected if she was carrying cargo.

Seeing Susan pooping made me realize I probably needed to poop again, too. Sure enough. As soon as I thought of it, I felt a cramp in my guts. The next thing I knew, my diaper was full.

Dad was really impressed with how easy it was to change diapers on someone wearing one of the Camp Celebration swimsuits. Just unsnap the crotch, pull the suit up a little, pull off the plastic pants, unpin the diaper and finish the change. Since I wouldn’t be going swimming again that day, Dad helped me out of the swimsuit, waited while I took a quick shower, then rediapered me and waited while I dressed.

I waited outside for Gloria, Susan, and Linda. Uncle Phil (he was an engineer, remember?) was exclaiming about how ingeniously everything at the camp had been designed. “The lake slings, the swimsuits, the wheel chair ramps everywhere, the family restrooms, all of it really makes a lot of sense!” Uncle Phil exclaimed.

My Dad, a lawyer, was equally impressed. He wondered out loud, though, if maybe all of it was too good to be true.

When Susan, Linda, and Gloria came out of the changing rooms, we decided to look at the dormitories. Camp Celebration didn’t have cabins. Instead, there were dormitories, each sleeping 20 or so kids. Each kid had his or her own private space. Five foot high partitions separated the beds. Attached to each partition was a desk and a small wardrobe / dresser combination. There was an adjustable chair by each desk. Kids in wheel chairs didn’t need the desk chairs, of course. Since they were on casters, it was easy to push the chairs out of the way.

The bathrooms had big stall showers and absolutely huge toilet stalls, each with a foldup changing table. Everything was spotlessly clean. There was no diaper smell. “I could really enjoy spending the summer here,” I thought.

Linda and Gloria were impressed with the girls’ dormitory. Susan said she was a little jealous. “Maybe I should wear diapers all the time so I can come to camp, too,” she said. “Just kidding!” Susan added quickly. I wondered whether she was really kidding, or whether wearing diapers today was bringing up memories and feelings about the time before she had been potty trained.

We had time to look at the archery range, the soccer field, and the stables, where both ponies and pony carts for kids who couldn’t ride were kept. We explored part of the nature trail, which had a hard enough surface for wheel chairs to navigate without any problems. Camp Celebration was an amazing place!

Hotdogs and hamburgers taste better outside, don’t they? So does potato salad. Lunch was wonderful! Then it was time for the 2:00 meeting. We all moved inside.

Mr. Anderson answered questions about medical care at the camp, the camp’s activities, and how much a summer at Camp Celebration cost. He explained that a government program helped pay the costs, so that, really, no child had to be denied a summer at camp because his or her family didn’t have the money to pay for it.

“How many diapers do the campers use every day?” someone asked. “Who changes them? And who washes them all?”

“We have about 120 kids in camp,” Mr. Anderson said. “Usually, 80 or so are in diapers. Assuming an average of six changes a day, with an average of two diapers per change and a third diaper added at night, that’s roughly 1000 diapers each day. We have a very modern laundry, with powerful washers and dryers that can easily handle all those diapers, plus the plastic pants that are always needing washing and all the other laundry 120 kids and a staff of 25 or so generate.”

“As for who changes all those diapers, well, everyone on our staff from the director to the maintenance folks is qualified to change diapers. No child ever has to wait more than a few minutes for a change.”

“Where can we buy those swimsuits?” a man in the back row asked.

“They’re available in the gift shop in all sizes,” Mr. Anderson answered. For men and women as well as boys and girls.

I understand the gift shop sold out of a lot of sizes that afternoon.

The camp season ran from the first of July through the end of August. Two months. Campers were encouraged to attend for the whole summer. If there was room, though, kids could sign up for a month, or even a two week session.

This was the fifth year the camp had been open. My dad, who had been asking himself if the camp was too good a thing to be true, was now convinced it was all legitimate, a wonderful place for “different” kids who needed to feel special in a good way.

Our group gathered at a picnic table outside Big Timbers. “Well, kids, it’s up to you,” Uncle Phil said. Mom, Dad, Aunt Bridget, and Linda’s Mom and Dad all nodded.

“I want to come for the whole summer!” Linda said.

Gloria and I talked about whether we wanted to come for the whole summer or maybe just a month. If we came for just the month of July, we could have August at the farm. On the other hand, if we stayed at camp all summer, we’d be with a group of kids who were more like us than any we’d ever been with before. We’d probably have a chance to learn better swimming skills, get better at sports, and who knows what else.

Dad made his feelings pretty clear. “I think it would be good for both of you to spend the whole summer at camp,” he said. “We’d miss you, sure, but we could come and visit on parents’ visiting days. The real reason I think a summer at camp would be good for you is that it’s time for the two of you to grow out of being the family babies. Being up here without the rest of the family would help you do that.”

“Being here all summer won’t help us be able to stop wearing diapers,” I said, a little puzzled.

“No,” Dad admitted, “but it will help you understand more completely how you can be a person in diapers and still be very much grown up. You’re both doing well in that area, but it’s important you get all the support that’s available. We don’t know, after all, how long you’ll have to keep wearing diapers.”

Everyone was silent for a minute or two. I wondered at what Dad had just said. “Didn’t you and Aunt Bridget manage to get out of daytime diapers when you were in seventh grade?” I asked, obviously concerned.

“Yes, Teddy,” Dad admitted, “but everyone’s different. We can’t know for sure that you and Gloria will be dry like Aunt Bridget and I were.”

Another silence followed, longer than the previous one. Gloria broke the silence, saying “Mom, Dad, I want you to sign me up for the whole summer.”

“Me, too,” I chimed in. Wanting to be near Linda, wanting to be a more kids like myself, and wanting to take part in all the activities the camp had to offer overcame the pool of my grandparents’ farm and a summer with my cousins. Besides, I had to wonder if Dad had been trying to tell me that I might be in diapers for even longer than I now expected to be, and to help me prepare for that possibility.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 26 -- Susan in Diapers

The special swimsuits at Camp Celebration sure were easy to put on. I liked the way the swimsuit made the diaper a little more snug. When I jumped into the lake, I was a little surprised when my butt didn’t get cold right away like it usually did when I went swimming. That was kind of nice, actually. The cold water finally made it through all the padding to my skin. It didn’t bother me nearly so much, though, as it would have if I hadn’t been wearing a diaper. But the cold did make me wet my diaper. That, of course, made it warmer.

I noticed I couldn’t swim as fast wearing diapers as I could without them, but that didn’t bother me. I felt the weight of the water inside my plastic pants as I climbed up the ladder on to the raft. I remem-bered to pull on the leg elastic on both sides of my plastic pants to let the water out, just like Teddy and Gloria always did.

I wet my diaper again while I was swimming to the raft. I liked the warm feeling. I wasn’t sure why I was peeing so much, but I had a diaper on so it didn’t really matter.

As we were walking to the changing rooms, I felt an urge to poop. I stopped and pooped in my diaper without even thinking about it. Mom was a little surprised when she unpinned my diaper and discov-ered I was “carrying cargo.”

“Wow, when did you do that?” she asked.

“Just now, while we were walking up here from the lake,” I answered. I was feeling a little embar-rassed but trying not to show it.

“Okay, I just wanted to be sure you didn’t stay in the lake in a poopy diaper. We never do that,” Mom said.

“I know, Mom,” I said, a little annoyed. I’ve been part of this family for a long time. I know what I’m supposed to do if I poop while I’m in the water.”

Mom smiled in a funny kind of way. I suppose it was quite strange for her to hear me saying some-thing like I’d just said, and to be changing my diaper instead of Teddy’s or Gloria’s. I hoped Mom remembered that putting me in diapers was her idea, not mine.

“I’m sorry, Honey,” Mom said, pinning on a clean set of diapers. She pulled up my plastic pants and helped me into my shorts. I put my socks and sneakers back on and went exploring the camp with eve-ryone else.

I didn’t feel jealous about not being able to go to Camp Celebration. I didn’t want to spend the whole summer there, but I was definitely enjoying today.

I wet my diaper on the nature trail, but hardly noticed I was doing it. I wet again, several times, before we left. When Mom asked if I needed a diaper change before the ride home, I nodded. Mom peed in the toilet first, then changed my diapers. Dad changed Teddy’s diapers, as well as his own, Aunt Bridget changed her own and Gloria’s, and Linda’s Dad changed hers. We said our goodbyes, and then we were on our way home.

The sodas Dad had loaded in the picnic cooler were still cold, and we all took one to drink in the car on the trip home. Teddy and Gloria were excited. They chattered all the way home about what camp would be like and what they planned to do there. No one noticed that I was being pretty quiet. I tried to read my Nancy Drew mystery, but I kept getting distracted by thoughts about wearing diapers. I finished my soda before it got too warm.

Before this morning, I hadn’t thought about wearing diapers in years! Now I was wetting and even pooping in them like I wore them all the time. If that wasn’t enough to surprise me, I had to admit that I LIKED wearing diapers and didn’t especially want to stop after we arrived home. At that last thought, I had a smile on my face, brought there by the tickling sensation I felt as I wet my diaper once again.

Finally, I dozed off. When I woke up, Dad was pulling the car into our driveway. I yawned, rubbed my eyes, and noticed that I didn’t have to pee. Then I became aware of my soaked diaper and realized I must have wet heavily while I was sleeping.

We all piled out of the car. Dad brought the diaper bags and picnic cooler into the house. Uncle Phil headed straight for the first floor bathroom. I wondered why Mom didn’t run to the second floor bath-room. Then I realized she had probably wet her diaper on the way home. I was right. She had. Mom took her time getting to the second floor bathroom. She changed out of her wet diaper and put panties back on. Aunt Bridget used the second floor bathroom after Mom. I think she just changed her diaper. Aunt Bridget often wore diapers during the day when she felt the need. Dad followed Uncle Phil in the downstairs bathroom, where he changed his diapers, too.

Patty changed Gloria’s diaper first, then Teddy’s. Both of them were soaked, but neither had pooped. Changing them was easy work for Patty. When I saw Patty was finished changing Teddy’s diaper, I tugged on her sleeve.

“What’s up Susie Q?” Patty asked.

“Could you change my diaper now?” I asked Patty, trying to sound nonchalant.

“Oh, I didn’t know you were wearing a diaper, Susan. Sure I’ll change it. But wouldn’t you rather have your regular panties back on?”

“No, please. Mom put diapers on me this morning for the trip and I’ve been using them all day. It feels kind of good. I’d rather just have my diaper changed now, if that’s okay.”

“I guess it’s okay,” Patty said. “Just seems a little strange, having you in diapers. You’re one of the family’s potty training stars, after all. The last time you wore a diaper, you weren’t even three years old.”

“Yeah, I know,” I answered. “Feels a little strange to me, too. But it’s a good kind of strange. I hadn’t even thought about wearing diapers until Mom asked me to wear them for the trip today. I was sur-prised at how good they felt. All I can say is I want to keep wearing them. Does that make any sense, Patty?”

“Sort of,” Patty answered. “I wore diapers once or twice on long car trips a few years ago. They did feel nice. I even pooped in one once. I thought it might be fun to wear them for a while, but I didn’t ask. I was kind of embarrassed to. Besides, it wasn’t that big a deal to me.”

“Well, I’m going to ask if it’s okay for me to wear them,” I said. “I really want to, and I don’t see what harm it will do. Mom’s used to changing diapers all the time, and Teddy won’t be around this summer, so maybe she won’t mind changing mine. Oh, by the way, I pooped in my diaper today, too.”

“How did it feel to poop in your diaper?” Patty asked.

“Kind of funny but not really gross,” I answered. “I felt like I had to poop so I just did.”

“That’s the same thing that happened to me,” Patty remembered. By this time she had my shorts and plastic pants off. The back of my shorts was wet on one side. I knew I was wet, but I was surprised at how wet I was.

Patty tossed the wet shorts in the laundry pile. The bottom of my tee shirt was wet, also, so it went into the laundry pile, too. My wet diapers and plastic pants went into the diaper pail. Once again I was naked except for shoes and socks. Patty was amazed that I could have gotten so wet on the ride home.

“The big soda I drank probably helped,” I said. “I fell asleep and didn’t realize I’d wet so much.”

Patty used a lot of lotion on me, because my skin was a little irritated. She put on a fresh tee shirt, a plain white one. Then she pinned on a set of three night diapers and pulled on a fresh pair of Teddy’s old plastic pants.

“All set!” Patty patted my thickly diapered bottom as she helped me off the table. “You can find a clean pair of shorts, can’t you?”

“Sure, but I’m not gonna put shorts on now. I’ll just stay like this,” I said.

“Okay by me,” Patty said. “Dad and Uncle Phil went and got some pizza. Come on down and have some. It’s too late for a regular dinner.”

“I’ll be right down,” I said, as Patty left to go eat.

Before going downstairs, I wanted to have a look at myself in the full length hall mirror. I didn’t really know what I looked like all diapered. I broke into a big smile as I saw the white tee shirt, puffy plastic pants, and a hint of a diaper sticking out the top of the pants. I realized this was exactly the way I wanted to look. I was humming as I went downstairs to get some pizza.

No one said anything strange when I walked into the dining room dressed in just diapers, plastic pants, and tee shirt and grabbed a slice of pizza. Even though no one had seen them on me in a long time, diapers and plastic pants were not an uncommon sight in our house. Teddy and Gloria were dressed just like I was. Their shorts must have been wet, too, I supposed.

“Hey, Sue, you did some good dives today!” Teddy didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to me, usually, and I appreciated the compliment.

“Thanks, Teddy!” I beamed. Then I told him and Gloria that their diving was pretty good, too. We talked about how Linda had enjoyed the day so much, and how nice the camp was.

Patty, Andy, and Chuck had gone to a movie. The theater wasn’t far away. They could walk home after the show. The rest of us sat in the dining room and then the living room, talking until around 9:00. I remember wetting my diaper three times while we were all talking. My diaper was beginning to feel very soggy.

We waved goodbye to Gloria, Uncle Phil, and Aunt Bridget. Mom said it was time for me to go to bed, and asked if I wanted her to take my diapers off so I wouldn’t have to sleep in them. I shook my head. “I want to stay in diapers, I said. I really enjoyed wearing them today and I’m not ready to stop.” I was known in our family for saying exactly what was on my mind, without hemming and hawing.

“Oh!” Mom said. No big lecture, Just “Oh!” Then she added “Ed, would you come in here, please?” Susan is making a request I want you to hear.”

I repeated for my Dad what I’d already said to Mom. Like Mom had, Dad said “Oh!” after I had fin-ished my request. Then there was a little silence, and I wet my diaper again. Now I could really feel the diaper starting to get heavy. Finally, Dad asked “Do you know why you want to wear diapers, Susan?”

“I’m not real sure,” I answered. “Wearing them felt really good today, though, a kind of good I don’t remember feeling before. I still have that good feeling. I don’t want to give it up.”

“What is it you like about wearing diapers, Honey?” Mom asked.

“Well, they feel nice and soft. It tickles when I wet, and that’s fun. It’s nice to just be able to go potty anywhere and not have to worry. And I REALLY like having my diapers changed. I think that’s the best thing of all.”

“Do you want to use your diapers for everything or just to pee?” Dad asked the final question.

“For everything,” I answered. “I don’t want to use the toilet at all for a while. I just want to wear dia-pers.”

Mom and Dad were quiet for a moment. Then they looked at each other. I think they must have thought that wanting to wear diapers might be, at least in part, a bid for more attention. They may have recognized, even more than I did, that I hadn’t been getting much attention in a while. Mom smiled at Dad. Dad smiled at me. They asked me to give them a minute alone together to talk. I went into the living room and spicked up a magazine. Reader’ Digest. I was reading well beyond my grade level.

It wasn’t even five minutes before Mom and Dad came and sat down on the couch across from me. Dad looked at me and smiled. Then he spoke, kind of seriously.

“Okay, Susan, your Mom and I are going to let you wear diapers for as long as you want to. You can use them for everything. You don’t have to use the toilet at all. Mom, Patty, and I will take good care of you. You’re going to have to let your mother, Patty, or me check your diaper whenever we feel it needs checking, and you mustn’t make a fuss when we tell you to come and have your diaper changed, no matter what you might be doing at the time. Can you agree to that?”

I stuck out my hand. Dad shook it, then Mom. “Deal!” I said. “Dad, am I allowed to ask to have my diapers changed?”

“Of course!” Mom and Dad exclaimed in chorus. “You don’t think we’d ever make you wait until we decided to check your diaper, do you?”

“Well, I just wanted to be sure,” I explained. “In that case, would you change my diapers now, please, Dad? They’re pretty wet.”

“Certainly, Susan,” Dad answered quickly. “Are you sure you want me to change you, and not Mom?”

“This time I want you to change me, Dad,” I said. I think Mom understood. A little girl lucky enough to have a good Daddy loves to have him take care of her.

Dad held out his arms. I literally jumped into his open arms and squeezed Dad’s neck. He carried me upstairs to the bathroom, where I brushed my teeth. The he carried me to Teddy’s bedroom, knocked on the door and asked “May we use your changing table, Son, and a few of your diapers?”

Good old Teddy! Whenever I think he didn’t care about me when I was a kid, I need to remember times like that moment. not indicating any surprise at all, Teddy just picked up the comic book he was reading, said “Sure, Dad!” and started to leave the room.

“You don’t have to leave, Teddy!” I said. “I don’t mind if you see me getting changed.”

Teddy stayed on his bed. When Dad had finished changing my diapers, he picked me up again, carried me to my bed, tucked me in, and kissed me good night. In just a minute, Mom came in and kissed me goodnight, too.

Mom was carrying a baby bottle. She asked if I wanted to try it. I smiled and reached for the bottle. It was filled with warm milk. Tentatively, I put the nipple in my mouth and sucked a little. Warm milk. Mmm ... I began sucking more steadily, enjoying the bottle very much.

“Good night Susie Q!” both Mom and Dad said, as Dad turned out the light.

“Good night, Mom. Good night,Dad.” I took the bottle of my mouth long enough to say good night to both of them. I finished the bottle, burped loudly, closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 27 -- Ready For Camp

Hi, Everyone. This is Teddy again. I should have known Susan would want to add her story to Gloria’s and mine. She did, after all, become a “diaper kid” that summer. Both Gloria and I had friends who tried wearing diapers and liked the experience. I’d never seen anyone, though, who got hooked on wearing diapers quite like my little sister did. Susan will tell you more of her diaper stories in later chapters.

As I was drifting off to sleep the night of the open house at Camp Celebration, I thought back over the day and all that had happened. Everyone in the family had enjoy visiting the camp. Linda had been swimming for the first time in her life, and she enjoyed it thoroughly. Linda, Gloria, and I had the opportunity to meet a whole bunch of other kids like ourselves. It was the first time any of us had been in a place where most people were wearing diapers. Unless you wear diapers yourself, I don’t think you can know how good that feels.

The camp was both a comfortable and exciting place to be. I wasn’t sure how I’d like sharing a room with 19 other guys. I would have my own private space, though. Uncle Phil had commented on how ingeniously the individual sleeping areas had been designed. Uncle Phil seemed very impressed by everything at camp Celebration.

For the first time in my life, people I didn’t know would be changing my diapers. They might not fold diapers the way Mom did. I supposed I’d have to get used to that. I’d also have to get used to wearing diapers and plastic pants that lots of different kids had worn. That idea didn’t sound especially appealing. We had seen the laundry, though, and I didn’t think any germs would survive the cleaning clothes got there.

The same design used in the camp swimsuits was part of all the camp uniforms. Tee shirts and sport shirts all had the snap crotch the swimsuits had. There would be no drooping diapers at Camp Celebration.

Snap crotch pants were optional. Kids in wheel chairs, and some of the other kids also, preferred them. We’d have Camp Celebration hats, jackets, and raincoats. I thought it was kind of funny that there were Camp Celebration plastic pants. That, I thought, was a little too much.

Before we’d left camp, our parents had ordered a supply of all those things, and taken one change for each of us with them. We wouldn’t have to pack a lot for camp, since the clothing we needed would be there when we arrived.

Since we’d seen the doctor less than a month ago, we didn’t need new physical exams. The doctor’s nurse simply filled out the forms, had the doctor sign them, and mailed them off to Camp Celebration. Everything was ready. We’d leave for camp a week from Saturday. A bus would stop in Mayfield to pick up Linda, Susan, and me.

I fell asleep, and dreamed about learning to sail a boat. At some point in the dream, the sailboat capsized and I fell in the lake. The lake water felt surprisingly warm, quite a contrast from the cold water earlier in the day. I think I realized I was dreaming.

When I woke up at about 2:00 in the morning, I realized that the “lake” I’d fallen into had been of my own making. My diaper was soaked. My tee shirt was soaked right up to my chest. My sheets were soaked, too. It was an awful feeling! I panicked. Without thinking, I reverted to a behavior I thought I’d grown out of years ago.

“Mom!!!” I yelled.

My mother came running into the room, still tying the belt on her bathrobe. “What’s wrong, Teddy?” she asked, alarmed.

“I’m really, really wet, Mom!” I cried, still feeling panicky. “I don’t remember EVER being this wet!”

Mom hugged me, kissed my forehead, took me by the hand and led me to the bathroom. She stripped off my wet plastic pants, diapers, and tee shirt. I stepped into the bathtub. Mom hosed me down with warm water. Then she washed me gently all over, and dried me with a fluffy towel.

Back in my bedroom, Mom diapered me extra snugly. She put on both a set of night diapers and a set of daytime diapers. Five diapers in all. My plastic pants were quite a bit tighter over all those diapers. I couldn’t quite bring my knees together.

While Mom had been taking care of me, Dad had been wiping down my plastic mattress cover and making my bed up with clean sheets. Mom helped me off the table.

“I’m sorry Mom, Dad,” I said. “I didn’t mean to panic and cause you so much trouble.” I hung my head.

Mom kissed my forehead again, and Dad put his hand on my shoulder. “It’s okay, Teddy, Mom said. “Really! We’re your parents. We like taking care of you. You just wet a whole lot more than you usually do and it scared you. It’s nothing to be ashamed about.”

“But I cried like a baby!” I said. “What if I do something like that at camp? Maybe I shouldn’t go.”

“You’ll be fine, Teddy,” Dad said. “I’m sure of it. I don’t think you’ll have any problems. Remember, you’ll be with a lot of other kids who wear diapers and sometimes have big accidents.”

“That’s right, Teddy,” Mom added. Chances are you’ll be able to help other kids if they have problems.”

“I’ll do my best,” I said, feeling better.

“I know you will,” Dad said. “You’re going to have a great summer. I’m sure of it.”

Mom nodded her head in agreement. She pulled the covers up to my chin and kissed my forehead again.

My bed was dry in the morning. My diapers were wet, but they weren’t anywhere close to leaking. I was wearing five of them, remember. I looked at my bedside clock. 6:00. It was Sunday. We’d be going to church today. I got up, went to the kitchen, poured myself a big glass of orange juice and filled a bowl with shredded wheat. I went to the front door, brought in the paper, pulled out the comic section, and brought it to the table.

Susan came into the kitchen just as I started eating. She was yawning and rubbing here eyes. Since she wasn’t wearing anything over her plastic pants, I could see her diapers were very wet. My nose told me she must also be carrying cargo.

“Good morning, Teddy,” Susan said.

“Good morning, Susan ,” I said, not mentioning her obviously messy diaper. “Did you sleep okay?”

“Yeah, but a big noise woke me up. It sounded like you, screaming for Mom.”

“It WAS me, Susan. I had a bad dream and soaked my bed and everything. I’m sorry I made such a fuss.”

Susan got her own cereal and orange juice. She stopped to pat my hand just before she sat down to eat. “Must have been awfully scary,” she said. I’ve never heard you scream like that! Poor Teddy!”

We ate our breakfast. I gave Susan part of the comic section. As I reached a the table to hand the comics to Susan, I felt a familiar urge. No cramps, just an urge, a strong one. I stood up, grunted, and pooped a big load into my diaper. Then I sat down and continued eating and reading. Susan looked at me but didn’t say anything. This wasn’t the first time I had pooped at the breakfast table.

Patty walked in, opened the refrigerator door, closed it again and exclaimed ”Phew! One of you REALLY needs a diaper change!”

“I’d say we both need a change,” Susan said quietly. “I can wait if Teddy wants to be changed first.”

“That’s okay, I said quickly. “I don’t mind waiting. Change Susan first.”

Susan went with Patty to my bedroom for a diaper change. Spreading warmth in my diaper told me I was wetting again.

Susan was back in just a few minutes. She sat down, picked up her spoon, and said “Patty says to come up and get your diaper changed.”

I peed again while Patty was changing my diaper. Patty covered me quickly. “Quick reflexes!” I said.

“You got me in the eye once a long time ago,” Patty said. “I’ve been very careful ever since.”

“Sorry about that,” I said. “I couldn’t ask for a better big sister than you.”

Patty smiled and tickled my bare tummy. “You’re a pretty neat little brother, you know. Stinky diapers and all.”

I smiled as Patty finished diapering me and pulled up my plastic pants. I kissed Patty on the cheek as I climbed off the changing table.

Susan and I finished breakfast and the Sunday comics. Patty joined us. She liked reading comics, too.

Mom and Dad hadn’t stirred. I figured Dad must be tired from all the driving yesterday. Getting up in the middle of the night to take care of me had interrupted their sleep. Dad and Mom didn’t usually sleep in on Sunday mornings. I could understand, though, why they’d be sleeping late this morning.

“Let’s fix them a breakfast tray and take it up!” Susan said. We all looked at each other. It sounded like a great idea.

I made coffee. Patty fried bacon and eggs. Susan made toast, poured orange juice, and put some daisies from the front yard into a small vase. In less than fifteen minutes, we had prepared an attractive tray of hot, appealing food. All of us carried the tray upstairs together.

Mom and Dad were awake when we knocked on their door. “Come in!“ Mom said, then gasped in surprise as we carried in the breakfast tray.

“Ed! Come here! You have to see this!” Mom exclaimed. Then she added “Thank you SO much! You kids are the greatest!”

“What’s up?” Dad said as he came out of a steamy bathroom. He’d been showering. His hair was wet. He was wearing a bathrobe and, I could see, plastic pants. Dad seemed to be wearing diapers more often lately.

Oh, wow!” Dad exclaimed, noticing the breakfast tray. “This is terrific! Thanks, kids!”

“You’re welcome!” Susan said first. “We just wanted to thank you for being such wonderful parents.”

“Yeah,” I said. “We couldn’t ask f better parents than you.”

“Everyone helped make the breakfast,” Patty said. “We’ll leave you alone to enjoy it.” We all left the room and closed the door.

We all helped clean up the kitchen. Patty showered and dressed for church. Then she helped Susan and me get ready. She took our diapers off -- we both were wet -- and waited while we showered. I peed in the shower, like I often did. Not on purpose. It just happened.

When I came out of the bathroom, wrapped in a towel, Susan was already dressed for church. She was wearing a pretty flower print dress and white shoes. Her diapers weren’t obvious under her dress.

After Patty diapered me, I put on a pair of gray slacks and a white, short-sleeved shirt. I wore my black loafers and black socks. Patty said I looked handsome. Susan agreed.

“My diapers don’t show too much under these pants, do they?” I asked.

“If I didn’t know you were wearing diapers, Teddy, i wouldn’t be able to tell,” Susan said.

“Your diapers don’t show under your dress, either,” I said to Susan.

Susan smiled. “I don’t mind if my diapers show,” she said. “I sort of want people to know I’m wearing them.”

Not knowing how to respond to that statement, I didn’t say anything.

We all sat together in church. Gloria and her family sat right behind us. Sunday school was recessed for the summer. the adult service was pretty boring, but all of us behaved. After church, Mom and Dad took us all to a restaurant for lunch. We sat at a big table. Susan sat on one side of Gloria. I sat on Gloria’s other side.

Susan tapped Gloria on the wrist. “Look!” she said, and discreetly lifted her dress to show her plastic pants.

“Oh!” Gloria said. She saw Susan was obviously happy about being diapered. Gloria said “I have some pretty girls’ plastic panties that don’t fit me anymore. Would you like to have them?”

“Sure!” Susan answered. “I’d like some pretty ones. I’ve been wearing Teddy’s old ones. They’re okay, but I’d love to have some just for girls.”

“I’ll bring them over this afternoon.” Gloria said. Then she looked at me, as if to say “This is a big surprise. Susan was always the dry one.”

I shrugged my shoulders.

Gloria had pooped during lunch. Both of us hated doing that, but it happened sometimes. Gloria’s Mom took her to the women’s restroom and changed her diapers.

All of us had eaten in that restaurant many times before. All of the staff there knew about our family situation. They liked having us as customers and did all they could to accommodate our needs.

“Can you wait until we get home to have your diapers changed?” Mom asked Susan and me, as we got up to leave. We both nodded.

After my diaper change, I was in my bedroom, wearing just my diapers, plastic pants, and a tee shirt. Gloria came over, bringing half a dozen pairs of pretty plastic pants, some with ruffles. Gloria also brought some pretty tee shirts, all with diaper tabs. I heard Susan asking Dad if she could try them all on.

“Of course, Honey!” Dad said. “Would you like to show us how you look in them?”

“Oh, yes, Daddy!” Susan said gleefully. “We’ll have a fashion show.

For the next half hour, Susan showed off her unusual new wardrobe. I had to admit, she looked awfully cute in every one of the outfits. Patty helped Susan with each of the changes. Gloria, Mom, Dad, and I all clapped at the sight of each new tee shirt and pair of panties. Susan looked very proud and happy. When the fashion show was over, she chose a pair of ruffled pink plastic pants and pink tee shirt with a butterfly print to wear the rest of the day.

Gloria and I sat on the backyard swing. We talked about what camp would be like. As we talked, we remembered some of the big changes (no pun intended) in our lives over the past year. The biggest, of course, had been giving up any pretense of trying to stay dry and getting permission to wear diapers to school. It had taken Gloria several months to give up her struggle to stay dry. Since the first day she wore diapers to school, though, she’d never regretted her decision. I was certainly happy to have Gloria, my favorite diaper buddy, join me and Linda as the only kids in fourth grade who wore diapers.

Neither of us were thinking anymore about getting dry. Linda had helped us in that respect. “For heaven’s sake,” she said. “Life’s about a whole lot more than peeing and pooping! Why can’t you two just admit you need to wear diapers, stop apologizing for it, and enjoy life?”

When we thought of the extra problems Linda had to deal with all the time, and realized how funny and happy she usually was, we decided to take a lesson from her. Linda had a hilarious sense of humor. She never tried to duck a diaper joke. On the contrary, she enjoyed them.

Linda didn’t go out of her way to poop when other people were around, but sometimes it was unavoidable. Whenever it happened, she’d make a remark like “Eww .. who pooped in their diaper?” Someone in the group would always say “She who smelt it, dealt it.” Then Linda would say “Aw, shucks, ya got me.” Then she’d giggle.

Neither Gloria nor I made a fuss or got embarrassed about wearing diapers anymore. We weren’t quite ready to make jokes about it like Linda did, but we sure weren’t uptight a it anymore.

Fourth grade had, I thought, been our best year yet in school. All three of us had earned great grades, we were all in the school orchestra, and all of us were involved in scouting. Now we’d all be spending the summer at Camp Celebration, getting to know kids like ourselves. How could life get any better than that?

Susan was surprised, too, by her desire to stay in diapers after the trip to the open house at Camp Celebration. You may remember she was lukewarm to the idea when her mother first suggested it. If Mom hadn't had a diaper on herself, Susan might even have balked. She discovered, though, she enjoyed the feeling of wearing diapers and using them, and also the attention she received being changed. It took some courage for Susan to ask to be allowed to wear diapers for a while. Her parents, very open-minded and understanding. "got" that this would be a way for Susan to feel extra special for a while, something she very much wanted and probably deserved. The nighttime bottle and burping were an extra touch they added. Susan hadn't asked for it, but she seems to be enjoying it. Will we hear more about bottles and other baby things?

How long will Susan stay in diapers? She hasn't decided yet, but she's enjoying the experience immensely right now. Will she be able to switch back to regular panties when she decides to? Hmm... You may notice she's wetting in her sleep most nights, and that she sometimes wets and occasionally even poops during the day without realizing she's going to. Is that because she's aware she has a diaper on and it's okay to wet? Or is Susan going to need to be potty trained all over again? What sort of summer will she, Mom, Dad, and Patty have with Teddy off to camp? And, what about Patty? Will we learn more about her?

Linda hasn't been a central character up until now. She's going to be having adventures at camp she's never had before. Chapter 30 is written from her perspective, and you'll be hearing more of her point of view as the story continues to unfold. Linda's influence on Teddy and Gloria has been a positive one. She's helped both of them become less stressed, more relaxed about life in diapers. As she says, "there's more to life than peeing and pooping."

Gloria, too, will have more to say in upcoming chapters. Gloria had a rough start to fifth grade when she decided not to ask for permission to be diapered in school. Her relief when she finally admitted she couldn't stay dry and went back to diapers changed her whole experience of school. She didn't suffer any reduction in her social standing, something she'd feared. Becoming more comfortable with her situation allowed Gloria to shine in other areas of her life.

Teddy won't fade into the background. I hope his summer experiences at camp will help him grow up in all the ways he can grow up. It doesn't look like his medical condition is going to change much anytime soon. Will he become the young man he can become, diapers and all?

I started writing the story because I wanted to explore issues I'd had growing up. The story is fiction. I'm not Teddy. This is never going to be a forced diapering/bondage kind of story. Anyone looking for something like that gave up reading it a long time ago. It will always be a story about people trying to live a happy, fulfilling life, when incontinence is something they have to deal with.

I've found that writing the story has been helpful to me, helped me see some things about my own life more clearly than I've seen them before. I plan to continue writing for the foreseeable future. Sometimes chapters almost demand to be written. At other times, there may be a week -- or several -- between chapters.

If you're enjoying the story, I'm happy to know it. If you're not, that's fine, too. I welcome all comments.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 28 -- Pee Flows Free

This is Susan again. As I relaxed in the living room with Mom, Dad, and Patty I felt incredibly good. If you’d told me yesterday morning that I’d be sitting in wet diapers on Sunday night and feeling terrific about it, I would have either laughed or been insulted. Now I was looking forward to a whole summer in diapers. Who knows? Maybe I’d decide to stay in diapers longer than that.

I felt an urge to poop. I got up, went into the kitchen, and started pushing and grunting. Pretty soon I’d loaded up my diaper. I walked -- waddled would be a better word because my full diaper made walking kind of interesting -- back into the living room. Before I sat down, Dad asked “Do you have a present for me, Susan?”

I nodded and stuck my thumb in my mouth, trying to look shy. Dad held out his hand. I took it, and together we went upstairs to Teddy’s room where the changing table was. Dad lifted me onto the table. I lay down. Dad held my ankles, lifted me up, and, with his other hand, expertly slipped off my plastic pants and set them aside. Then he began unpinning my diaper, careful not to stick me with any of the pins.

“You’re quite a pooper!” Dad said. I smiled. Dad slid the poopy diaper out from under me and began cleaning me up with a warm, wet cloth. “That feels nice, Daddy,” I said. It was Dad’s turn to smile.

I think I’ll always remember that diaper change. I can’t count the number of changes followed that one, but the intimacy of that moment was unique. When Dad was finished changing my diaper, I hugged him hard and kissed his cheek. He hugged me back, held me for a long moment, then patted my diapered bottom as he helped me climb down from the table.

I don’t remember much about the rest of the evening, except that I needed to have my diaper changed again before bedtime.

Over the next few days, I settled into my life in diapers naturally and easily. Only once did I wait to pee until my bladder was full. Once I started peeing, of course I coudn’t stop. My diapers ended up soaked. There was a yellow puddle in my plastic pants. Very gingerly, I walked upstairs and found Patty in her bedroom. She took one look at me and couldn’t help laughing. I started to cry.

“I’m sorry, Susie Q,” Patty apologized. “I don’t mean to make fun of you. You just look so funny with that puddle in your pants I couldn’t help laughing.”

In the mirror in Patty’s room, I saw she was right. I DID look pretty funny. I stopped crying.

Patty lifted me into the bathtub. She told me to pull my plastic pants up tight around my bottom, so that maybe the diapers would soak up a little more pee. They wouldn’t. So, carefully, Patty lowered my plastic pants and had me step out of them. Then she unpinned my unbelievably wet diapers. The diapers dropped to the floor of the tub with a splat. Patty went and got the diaper pail from Teddy’s room and dropped the soggy diapers into it. She stripped off my tee shirt and tossed it in the laundry hamper. Then she showered me off with warm, soapy water and dried me with a fluffy towel.

I walked naked to Teddy’s Room -- I was too big for Patty to carry -- and climbed up onto the changing table. Patty diapered me as efficiently as she always did. I thanked her for taking such good care of me.

After that experience, I was careful to wet my diaper a lot more often. “Pee Flows Free” I reminded myself often. My pee did flow free. It wasn’t long before I was wetting at least once every hour without having to think about it. When I started peeing on the changing table while Mom was changing my diaper, she looked at me, a little concerned.

“Couldn’t you hold that until I had your diaper on, Honey?” Mom asked.

“Oh, Mommy, I’m sorry.” I had just felt the warm pee on my leg and realized what I was doing. I tried to stop the flow, but couldn’t. Mom mopped up the pee with a diaper, then went back to diapering me.

“It’s no big deal, Susan.” Mom tried to reassure me. “Teddy pees on the changing table all the time.”

“Yeah, Mom, but he can’t help it!” I said.

“You couldn’t help it either just now,” Mom said. “You wouldn’t do something like that on purpose. It’s okay, really it is.”

I nodded, and lifted up my butt so Mom could slide fresh diapers under me. I was quiet while she finished changing my diaper. What had just happened had me a little concerned. My eight year old mind reflected on how my life had changed in the last few days. Wearing diapers, so far, had mostly been fun. I wondered, though, if I’d be able to stop when I wanted to.

Since I didn’t want to stop wearing diapers, I didn’t worry TOO much about that question just then.

Most days I pooped twice. Once in the morning, shortly after I woke up. Again some time in the late afternoon. Because Teddy couldn’t control his pooping at all, he often pooped right in front of the family. At first, I went off by myself to poop. One time, as I was getting up to go poop during one of the family’s favorite TV programs, Dad said “You don’t have to go hide when you need to poop, Susie Q. You can stay right here. It’s okay.”

“Thanks, Dad,” I said. Since I was already standing, I pooped right where I was. When I was finished pooping, I sat back down.

“I’ll change your diaper as soon as the show is over, honey, unless you can’t wait,” Dad said.

“I can wait, Daddy,” I said. The show was a really funny one. I laughed so hard i wet my diaper. Three times! The load of poop in my diaper wasn’t all that uncomfortable. When the show was over, Dad stood up and held out his hand. I took his hand, and together we walked upstairs to Teddy’s bedroom. Dad was wearing sweat pants. I couldn’t help noticing that his sweat pants were pretty wet in front.

“Guess I should have put a diaper on,” Dad said, a little sheepishly. “I’ll clean myself up right after I change your diaper.”

“I can wait, Daddy. Why don’t you get comfy first?”

“I’m fine, Honey. I’ve been having accidents like this since long before you were born. You’ve had that poopy diaper on too long. If I don’t change you soon, you’ll have a rash.”

Dad lifted me onto the changing table. He cleaned me up and rediapered me with all his usual skill and tenderness. After lifting me off the table, hugging me, and patting my diapered bottom like he always did when he changed my diaper, Dad said “Go back downstairs, Honey. I’ll be down in a minute.”

When he came back into the living room, Dad was wearing clean sweat pants. A telltale bulge told me he had diapered himself. I moved next to him, cuddled close, and laid my head on his chest. Dad put his arm around me. His other arm was around Mom. Tedoy was over at Linda’s. Patty was out with her friends. It was just the three of us in the living room. I loved having both my parents all to myself.

After that first time, I started pooping wherever I happened to be when I felt the need. Soon, I was barely giving it a thought. When I needed to poop, I pooped. I was with Mom in the grocery store when I loaded up my diaper in the produce aisle. We had left the diaper bag in the car. Mom wanted to go get it, but I said I could wait until we got home. We finished our shopping, checked out, and drove home. I helped Mom put the groceries away. Then Mom changed my diaper.

The nightly bottles continued. Knowing that I’d have to burp after finishing the bottle, either Mom or Dad would come and burp me. I really liked beig burped!

One night, I asked Dad if he’d feed me my bottle. Dad climbed into bed with me, held me in his lap, and fed me my bottle. When I had finished the bottle, Dad spread a diaper over his shoulder and burped me. I remember giving an extra loud belch that night. But I didn’t spit up. I never did. The diaper on Dad’s shoulder was just an old custom that Dad saw no reason to discontinue.

Dad didn’t feed me my bottle every night, just every now and then. Every time he did, it felt really special. I loved the way Dad treated me so much like his baby princess. I even thought about staying in town with him and not going to the farm this summer.

Almost from the first night I wore diapers, I began waking up wet. Sometimes my diaper was soaked. I hadn’t yet had a wet bed. Mom had put a plastic mattress cover on my bed, just in case.

Only a few days after I had started wearing diapers, Mom came and checked my diaper while I was sitting in the back yard reading. “You’re wet, Susan. Come inside and let me change your diaper.”

“Aw, Mom, do I have to have my diaper changed right now?” I whined. “Can’t it wait until I finish this chapter?”

“NOW, Susan!” Mom said, so firmly it surprised me. “Don’t you remember the promise you made to me and your Dad?”

Immediately, I followed my mother into the house and let her change my diaper. I took the book inside with me, and continued reading while I was getting changed. I was an assertive kid, but also a very obedient one. Besides, I was very grateful to my parents for letting me wear diapers.

“That must be some book!” Mom said, pinning on fresh diapers. The diapers were still warm from the dryer. Mom had to stop and fold them before putting them on me.

“It’s just a Bobsey Twins, Mom,” I said, putting the book down. “Gee, these diapers feel extra good. Thanks, Mom!” I helped Mom finish pulling up my plastic pants. Then I gave her a big hug and a kiss on the cheek before I climbed down from the changing table.

I wasn’t wearing anything over my plastic pants. Because I liked the way I looked in just my diapers and plastic pants, I had stopped wearing shorts except when we went out. Even then, I usually put on a sun dress instead of shorts. I liked the idea that the wind might catch my dress and people would see my diapers.

Teddy, Gloria, and Linda would be leaving for Camp Celebration in just two days. I wanted to spend some time with my brother before he left. Teddy and I had some good talks in the time we had left.

“Do you ever get tired of wearing diapers, Teddy?” I asked, the first time we were alone together.

“Sure I do, Sue,” Teddy admitted. Even now that I’ve learned not to be ashamed of it, wearing diapers can still be a nuisance sometimes. Like when you have to get changed in a restroom and people say mean things. You’ll find that out sooner or later.”

“I suppose I will,” I said. “But so far, I’m really enjoying it. I haven’t had to be changed in a restroom since the day of the open house at Camp Celebration. No one said anything mean there, and all the restrooms were family restrooms. I really like it when Daddy changes me, wherever he does it. ”

“Dad’s as good a diaper changer as Mom,” Teddy acknowledged. “And Patty’s almost as good as either of them. Have you had to be changed when you didn’t want to be yet?”

“Yeah, once. Mom reminded me of what I’d promised her and Dad. I’m grateful to them for letting me wear diapers, so I didn’t make too much of a fuss.”

“I make a fuss sometimes,” Teddy said. “It looks like I won’t be able to stop wearing diapers any time soon, and sometimes having to be changed when I don’t want to be really annoys me.”

“I’m sorry, Teddy,” I said. “I know it’s different when you have to wear diapers. I wish you had a choice.”

“If I had a choice,” Teddy said ”I’d probably wear diapers just about all the time. Once in a while I’d like to have some “dry time,” but diapers are more comfortable than regular underwear and you don’t have to worry about wet clothes.”

“I had no idea diapers felt so good,” I said. “I suppose I wouldn’t have believed you if you’d told me.”

“No one who doesn’t wear them could appreciate how good they feel,” Teddy agreed. “I’m not sure why you want to wear them so much. I hope they turn out to be as much fun as you want them to be.”

“Thanks, Teddy,” I said. “Uh, did you know your diaper’s really wet?” Neither of us was wearing anything over our plastic pants.

“Yeah, I could feel myself getting wetter as we’ve been talking,” Teddy said, standing up. “You’re pretty wet, too, you know. Maybe you should come with me and get your diaper changed .”

Teddy held out his hand. I stood up and took it. Together, we found Mom and asked her to change our diapers.

I'm Enjoying this story a whole lot, I got inco late in life but I was always a D/L so the inco was not the big shock to me that it could have been.

I suppose that the big catch for me about the story is having people around the people in the story

who accept inco and the wearing of diapers as just part of life.

I suppose as someone who has been incontinent all of their life some of the story is of how you wished it

could have been when you were growing up.

Anyways you write well and youre story has exellent continuty, I've wrote a few myself on all sorts of subjects and I find it hard work.

Thanks for the time and effort you are putting into this - John.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 29 -- Camp Celebration

This is Teddy again. During the last day or two before we left for camp, I read, reread, and pestered Mom and Dad about making sure we’d done everything we were supposed to do. I suppose, by the time Gloria, Linda, and I waved goodbye from the bus windows, they were happy to be rid of us.

The instructions told us to be sure we had our names printed on all our clothes with indelible laundry markers. A machine at the gift shop had already stenciled all our camp uniforms with our names. We needed to stencil everything else we were bringing, including the diapers and plastic pants we’d be wearing on the bus.

All diapered campers should board the bus diapered sufficiently for at least a five hour period, preferably six. Parents were reminded that campers might be wetting more heavily than usual because of the excitement of the day, and to please take this fact into account. Diaper changing was available on the bus, of course. Diaper changing on a moving on a bus, though, wasn’t especially convenient. If possible, then, campers should plan to make the trip without a change. Soiled diapers would of course, be changed immediately. The diapers and plastic pants campers arrived in would be washed, folded, and packaged to be worn again on the trip home.

Snacks and drinks would be served on the bus, but campers were reminded to eat a good breakfast before boarding. Any special dietary requirement should have been made known to the camp director when the camper was enrolled. The camp staff would make sure that snacks were available for all special diets.

Campers were to be carrying copies of doctor’s certificates, parental permission forms, lists of medications they were taking and any treatment plans they needed to follow. The medications themselves were to be delivered by parents to the camp staff member assigned to each bus. Refrigeration was provided for insulin and other medications requiring temperature control.

Telephone contact information for both parents needed to be on file with the camp office. Any parents who had not provided this information previously could give it to the camp staff member assigned to each bus.

Campers should bring a supply of stamped , addressed postcards and/or envelopes and stationery to be used for writing home. there would, the instructions said, be plenty to write home about!

A waterproof flash light and extra batteries were required for all campers. These could be purchased at camp or brought from home.

A notebook or diary of some kind was recommended but not required. Cameras were permitted, as were binoculars, although the camp provided both cameras and binoculars for nature study. There were photography classes available for everyone. Campers who were interested and mature enough to handle the equipment could learn to develop photographs.

Campers were not allowed to carry cash. When we had registered, our parents had deposited money in our camp account which we could use to buy candy, film, comic books, and other items from the gift shop. Additions to campers’ accounts could be made by mail.

I had memorized the instructions. I was bringing two notebooks, three ball point pens, my binoculars, enough stationery to allow me to write home nearly every day, and the new Brownie camera Mom and Dad had bought for my birthday in May. I was now officially ten years old. I had four rolls of film for the camera, and hoped to be able to buy more. Taped to the inside cover of my larger notebook were photographs of Mom, Dad, Patty, and Susan. Susan had asked that she be photographed wearing diapers, because that was how she wanted all of us to think of her, at least for now.

I suggested that I wear both a set of night diapers AND a set of day diapers for the trip. I’d never been diapered that heavily during the day, and I knew the extra diapers might make walking a little interesting, but I didn’t want to be the only one to have to have his diapers changed on the bus.

“Sometimes, Teddy, you’re a real worry wart!” Linda had said when we were discussing preparations for camp. “If you have to be changed on the bus, it’s no big deal. Why get so concerned about it? I thought I’d taught you better than that!”

My red-haired diaper buddy and sort of sweetheart HAD been a very positive influence on my and Gloria’s attitude toward wearing diapers.

“Okay, I’ll stop worrying,” I said, “but I’m still gonna wear extra diapers.”

Gloria, too, planned to wear extra diapers. If anything, Gloria had been more of a worry wart in the past than I was. She had tried hard to be best at everything. Both Linda and I wondered if Gloria would be uptight about being the dryest diapered camper. Gloria surprised both Linda and me in that regard.

“I’m not going to make any effort to stay dry or to avoid pooping,” Gloria said. “This summer is about having fun, and I’m gonna have fun!” Even if I pass gas or poop my diaper when we’re having church on Sunday, it won’t bother me.

That statement marked quite a change from the Gloria who wouldn’t ask permission to wear diapers to school last September. I hoped I could learn to become as relaxed as Gloria already seemed to be.

I was up before dawn on the day we were to leave for camp. I tried hard to poop so I wouldn’t have to do it on the bus. I succeeded, too. Twice. Two poopy diapers in an hour and a half. The second one was hardly wet when I asked Patty to change it. It was plenty poopy enough, though.

Patty remarked about how easy changing was with me wearing my camp uniform shirt. I wasn’t wearing snap crotch pants, but pulling my shorts up and down was no problem. My diapers were pinned to my tee shirt, like they always were. The snaps in the crotch of my camp tee shirt kept the diapers even more snug than usual. Even wearing the extra diapers, the snaps on the tee shirt closed easily. And the tee shirt would never become untucked.

I was feeling too excited to eat breakfast. Mom reminded me of the instructions, though, and I calmed down enough to eat a bowl of cereal, a cheese omelette, and a piece of toast. Oh, and I had a glass of orange juice, too.

We were all going to Mayfield Center, where the bus was scheduled to leave at 8:00. Everyone was ready, and had eaten breakfast by 7:30. Even Susan had been up on time, had her shower, been dressed and diapered, and finished breakfast on time. Susan had pooped in her night diaper, as she often did, so she probably wouldn’t need to be concerned about a messy diaper for a while.

By the way, Susan was awfully cute in a light green sun dress with white trim. The dress was short enough that her white, ruffled plastic pants sort of played peek-a-boo. I supposed that’s what ruffled plastic pants are for, being noticed. Susan was wearing white ribbons in her light brown hair, hair, and white sandals. She looked adorable! She also looked like she was almost five, instead of nearly eight. Both Susan and I looked quite a bit younger than we were.

“Wow, Sue!” I exclaimed. “You’re going to be the prettiest girl at the bus station!” I said. Susan gave me her prettiest smile.

“I’m having fun, Teddy!” Susan said. “I can’t explain it, really, but everything I’ve been doing since the day of the open house has been making me SO happy! Thanks for not making fun of me for trying to be little again.”

“Aww...” my face turned pink. “It’s been kind of fun for me watching it all, Sue. I can hardly wait to find out what adventures you will have had by the next time I see you.”

“That will be in two weeks,” Susan said, “on visiting day. Maybe I’ll have a surprise for you!”

“You’re not going to the farm?” That was news to me.

“No, not now at least. Maybe Mom and I will go later. Patty can’t go, ‘cause she’s working, and you’re not going. So Mom and me thought we’d see what a summer at home was like. I can go to the playground and the pool, and see my friends.”

“What do your friends think about you being back in diapers?” I had to ask, I was too curious not to.

“Billy Walker has been teasing me, but, funny thing, he comes around a lot more often than he used to, Susan said. “Some of my girlfriends tell me they think it’s weird, but they all still play with me,” she added. “They want to play house a lot, and guess who gets to be the baby? I always had to be a mommy before, and once even a Daddy when we couldn’t get any boys to play. The kids like having a baby who really wets and poops. None of the moms will let them change my diapers, though. An adult has to do that”

“You’re not going potty at all anymore?”

“Not since the morning oi the open house. That was two weeks ago. I’ve only gone in my pants since then. Mom and Dad both said it’s okay, as long as I don’t make a fuss about getting my diaper changed. I like all the attention I get getting changed. One way to get people to notice you for sure is to poop your pants!”

“Yeah, I know!” I said. “I’ve always had more attention than you because I wear diapers. I’ll bet that made you mad sometimes.”

“Not mad, Teddy. I knew it wasn’t your fault. But I did want to know what all that attention felt like.”

“I guess now you do?” I said, a bit of a question in my voice.

“Yeah, I’m starting to,” Susan admitted. “And, Teddy, I REALLY like it!”

In that instant, I saw more clearly than I’d ever seen before how differently Susan and I had been treated. She was the good girl, obedient, rarely giving anyone any trouble, often unnoticed. I had always received special attention all the time because I wore diapers and diapers demanded constant attention. At nearly eight years old, Susan had found a way to get the kind of attention she had always seen me receiving. What Susan was doing might not make sense to a whole lot of people, but I was beginning to understand

I looked at my “baby sister” with new respect -- and admiration. “I’m happy for you, Susan. I really am.”

Dad had the car loaded and it was time to go. We were the first one to arrive at Mayfield Center. Gloria and her parents arrive a few minutes after us. Linda’ family followed a few minutes later. There were also three other families from other towns waiting for the bus. We didn’t know any of them. A girl on crutches had probably had polio. She looked about 9 or 10, close to our age. A boy signing with his Mom and Dad was likely deaf. He looked 8 or 9, but I barely looked 7, so I couldn’t be sure. Another boy, who seemed “normal” except for an obvious diaper bulge looked about my sister Patty’s age. He came over and introduced himself.

“Hi, I’m Larry. I guess this your first time at Camp Celebration?

“Yeah,” we all said, and introduced ourselves.

“You’re gonna love it,” Larry said. “I’ll be a junior counselor this year. I’m 15, and this will be my fourth summer at camp.”

Larry introduced us to Wendy, the girl on crutches, and Stan, who couldn’t hear but could read lips and understand everything we said. Stan could talk, too, although his speech sounded different from most people’s.

The bus rolled up at 7:55. Hugs were shared all around, and I thought I saw both Mom and Dad wiping a little tear. Suitcases, wheelchairs, and crutches were loaded in the lugdage compartment. A big, strong man named Chester came off the bus and carried Linda and Wendy aboard. Gloria sat next to Linda. I sat across the aisle, next to Stan. About 20 kids, including the six of us, were on the bus. We waved to our families as the bus left Mayfield Center. We were on our way to camp!

The trip took longer than it would in a car. We made four more stops. Between four and eight kids got on at every stop, until the bus was full. Chester, the big, strong man who had carried Linda and Wendy aboard, worked at the camp. We would learn that he was a very kind man. Nick and Karen were also aboard the bus. They were camp counselors. it looked like both were wearing diapers. Nick wore a brace on his right leg.

We sang the silly songs all kids sing on camp buses. We had snacks and drinks. Some of us had to have our diapers changed, and all of us dozed off now and then. Gloria pooped. It wasn’t an especially nasty load, but she pushed the call button by her seat and told Nick she needed to have her diaper changed when he came by to see what was up. Nick took her to the back of the bus, changed her diaper, and had her back in her seat in less than five minutes.

“That wasn’t bad at all,” Gloria said, commenting on the experience.

By the time we reached camp, my diapers were pretty well soaked. I suppose most kids’ diapers were soaked. Ours was the first bus to arrive at camp. We gathered at the flag pole to receive our dormitory assignments. Junior counselors showed us where the different dorms were.

Gloria and Linda were bunking together. I was in a dorm where the only guy I knew was Stan. We were still learning to communicate. I was a little scared, and tried not to show it.

As we entered our dorm, we were greeted by a man and woman who were “dorm parents.” They lived in a little suite that was part of our dormitory. They asked us to call them Uncle Pete and Aunt Marie. Nine guys from our bus were assigned to this dorm. Only three were potty trained. The rest of us were in diapers.

The three kids who were potty trained went off to the bathroom. The rest of us lined up for diaper changes. The diapers were a little different from what I was used to wearing, but not bad. The plastic pants were plain white with one blue stripe near the middle. The pants were really soft, easy to wear. I liked them.

“You almost didn’t make it without a leak!” Aunt Marie said as she tossed my diapers into the large diaper pail. “There’s not one dry spot on these diapers. I hope you weren’t afraid to ask for a diaper change on the bus!”

“i did want to see if I could make it without one,” I said. Next time I’ll ask for a change.”

“Better to have a diaper change than to have to change ALL your clothes,” Aunt Marie said. “I know a lot of you kids are tired of having to have your diapers changed. We try to make it a pleasant experience.”

“You’re nice,” I said. You remind me of our school nurse.”

“I AM a school nurse,” Aunt Marie said. “Uncle Pete and I have been working here in the summer since the camp opened.” With the last pin fastened, she pulled up my plastic pants. Finished changing my diaper, Aunt Marie helped me down from the table.

We found our beds and began putting away our things, which had been brought up from the bus. I wrote a few lines about the trip in my notebook. Then Uncle Pete led us to Big Timbers, where chicken soup, grilled cheese sandwches, chocolate chip cookies, apples, and milk were being served for lunch. Each bus load of campers would be fed soon after they arrived. The second bus was pulling up now. I looked at my watch. It was 1:00 PM exactly.

I found Gloria and Linda in Big Timbers. We ate together. Gloria and Linda had been assigned beds next to each other. They were already settled in. Like me, they’d both had their diapers changed in their dorms. Their dorm parents’ names were Uncle Jack and Aunt Sally.

“These diapers are folded differently from what we’re used to,” Gloria said. “But I like them well enough. The plastic pants are really soft.”

“Softer than what I’m used to,” Linda agreed. “My hinee says thanks!”

Gloria and I couldn’t help laughing. Linda could make anything funny.

After lunch, everyone who was physically able helped clear the tables. We were free to do whatever we wanted until 4:00, when we’d have our swimming test.

“I didn’t study,” Linda said. “I’m gonna flunk!” Actually, Linda was looking forward to her first swimming lesson. Until the day of the open house, she’d never been in a lake or pool.

We decided to check out the nature trail. It was a big loop that went about half a mile into the woods. A bridge on the trail crossed a creek where there was an abandoned beaver dam. Some of the trees and plants had signs with their names printed on them. We could see some animal tracks on either side of the trail. We explored until 3:30. Linda’s chair rolled easily over the path, so we had no trouble moving around.

As we were starting to head back to the dormitories, Linda passed some noisy gas. All three of us giggled. Farts, I guess, have always made kids giggle. The noisy gas was just the preliminary, though, as it so often was. Linda scrunched up her face and filled her diaper.

“There, “ she said. “That feels a lot better. Better out than in, I always say.”

“True enough,” I agreed. We were almost back at the dorms before Linda and Gloria realized the poop smell wasn’t all coming from Linda. Without the fanfare that had accompanied Linda’s pooping, I had pooped my diaper, too.

“Sneaky!” Linda said.

“Can’t take you anywhere,” Gloria added.

I smiled. “It’s nice when someone else’s diaper gets noticed more than mine. I appreciate you, Linda.”

The rules said you always had to have your diaper changed before going swimming unless the one you were wearing was absolutely dry. I was soaking wet and messy, so of course I went to be changed. There was no line of kids waiting to be changed, so Uncle Pete changed my diaper right away.

“We have a Super Duper Pooper Club here, Uncle Pete said. You’re going to qualify for membership.” It took me a minute to realize Uncle Pete was only kidding.

Freshly diapered, and wearing my swim suit and beach sandals, I went down to the lakefront to wait for Linda and Gloria.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 30 -- Dolphins, Flying Fish, Rainbow Fish, and Minnows

Hi. I’m Linda Casey, Teddy and Linda’s friend, and maybe Teddy’s sort of sweetheart. I’m not going to tell you how all that worked out or didn’t. Not now, anyway. I was 10 years old when the events this story talks about were happening. just a few weeks older than Teddy. I had red hair, green eyes, and legs that didn’t work. I had never walked without crutches, and the doctors said I never would. I got around okay, though, between my crutches and my wheel chair.

My plumbing didn’t work like other people’s. It never had. I had always worn diapers. Many kids like me wear them. I had no control at all over wetting. As for pooping, well, I not only didn’t have control, sometimes I made a lot of noise about it, like I did in the last chapter. I learned to make jokes about it a long time ago. My dad taught me how to do that. I inherit my sense of humor from him.

I said when I first met them that Teddy and Gloria were different because they were the first kids my age I’d known who wore diapers. Before moving to Mayfield, I went to a school where I was the only diapered kid, and the only one in a wheel chair. I got a lot of attention, but not all of it was the kind I wanted. I’d never been happier than since my family moved to Mayfield. It felt like I was part of Teddy and Gloria’s family. I felt like another cousin, as they put it. Well, Teddy felt like more than a cousin, maybe, but I don’t want to talk about that right now.

I don’t know, but I think I was looking forward to going to Camp Celebration more than either Teddy or Gloria. I wanted to go swimming. I wanted to ride in a pony cart, and maybe even on a pony. I wanted to learn to paddle a canoe and sail a sailboat. I wanted to learn how to handle my wheel chair like a pro. There were lots of things I wanted to do and learn.

The first order of business was to have a swimming test. I was nervous about being tested in a skill I didn’t have at all. Uncle Jack (my dorm parent) told me not to worry. Everyone knew I’d never been swimming. The test for me would be to see how I handled the special harness and whether I was afraid of the water. I had pretty good upper body strength, and I was known as a gutsy kid, so Uncle Jack’s words cheered me up.

So here I was, dressed in my Camp Celebration swimsuit, rolling toward the lake with Teddy and Gloria. Teddy was pushing the chair. I usually let him, even though I could keep the chair moving pretty well on my own. It was one of Teddy’s ways of saying he cared about me. I liked that he cared about me.

We knew that swimmers were organized into four groups. The Minnows were beginners, kids who could not swim a stroke. That, I thought, would be me. Rainbow Fish could float and do a few strokes like maybe a doggy paddle for a distance of 50 yards. I figured I could become a Rainbow Fish before the end of the summer. Flying Fish were kids who had mastered basic strokes like the crawl, backstroke, and breast stroke for 200 yards. It was a big jump from Rainbow Fish to Flying Fish. Dolphins could swim 1000 yards using any or all of the basic strokes. They could hold their breath under water for a full minute, and they knew how to enter the water with a clean jump or dive. Teddy and Gloria might already qualify as Dolphins, I thought. They might be the youngest kids to make it.

Sure enough, Teddy and Gloria jumped into the lake from the dock, swam to the raft and did some dives from it, well enough to qualify. Then they demonstrated all the strokes in the protected area between the raft and the beach. Finally, with a lifeguard in a rowboat following them, they and all the other kids who were trying to qualify as Dolphins swam a 1000 yard course. They had to use each of the strokes for at least 100 yards, and could use the stroke of their choice the rest of the way.

While Teddy and Gloria were swimming the long course, I was helped into a life jacket, then lowered into the water using the special harness they’d used on the day of the open house. The water wasn’t as cold as it had been that day, but it was still cold enough to cause me to wet my diaper. I was asked if I felt safe being released from the harness. I said I’d try it so long as they didn’t leave me there all alone. The lifeguards reassured me they’d never do that. When they released the harness, I floated free in the life jacket. Cool feeling! I liked it right away.

They encouraged me to try to paddle some with my arms, and to kick with my legs if I could. I was surprised that my legs did move some, probably not enough to help me move forward, but they didn’t just hang there either. With my arms, I was able to paddle from one lifeguard to the other, a distance of about 25 feet. That was fun!

The next step was to first lie on my back wearing the life jacket and try to move, then do the same thing facing forward. Success both ways! Then, while one life guard held me, another unfastened the life jacket. I was kind of skinny, and I didn’t think I’d float. At first, I hung on to the lifeguard for dear life. She convinced me to loosen my grip, finally, and held me out at arm’s length. My feet started kicking to hold me up, which the lifeguard said was great. I had followed a natural reflex. Without letting go of my hands, the life guard asked me to hold my breath while she counted. If I could hold my breath to a count of 30, we’d try it under water. I not only made it to 30, I made it to almost 50! So we tried doing it under water.

The first time I let myself sink under the surface, water went up my nose and I came up spluttering, coughing, splashing, and wetting. “Hold my hand with one of yours, and hold your nose with the other hand,” the lifeguard advised me. That time I stayed under the water for 20 seconds. The next time it was 30, then 40 seconds twice. We stopped at 40 seconds for that day.

Finally, with a lifeguard standing on either side of me, I was encouraged to lie back and let the water support me. What a feeling that was when I succeeded! (on only the third try.) As I learned to relax, I found I could float for three full minutes.

As I was lifted out of the water, I felt exhilarated. After being tested, every camper received a badge to pin on his/her swimsuit to let the lifeguards know their skill level. I expected a minnow. Instead they gave me a “Special Rainbow Fish” badge because I had made so much progress in this first lesson. They told me that, within a week, they were sure I’d qualify for a regular Rainbow Fish badge, and that I had a good chance of making Flying Fish by the end of the summer. Wow!

Teddy and Gloria had returned from their swim in time to watch me floating. They applauded loudly, as did some of the others who were watching. They made such a fuss over my Special Rainbow Fish badge that I didn’t notice their own Dolphin badges right away. They’d qualified on the first try.

Gloria pushed my chair back to our dormitory. We all showered, washed our hair, and got re-diapered and dressed for dinner. Dinner that night was meat loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, cole slaw, and watermelon for dessert. Good food and lots of it.

After dinner, when the plates were cleared away, we all went out to a meadow for the season’s first campfire. We’d sung a song or two when, all of a sudden, I noticed a flash of motion from a house above the meadow moving toward us. Then I saw the flash was an incredibly fast moving wheel chair! In the chair was “Captain Roger” McCormick, the owner and senior director of Camp Celebration. Captain Roger had come to celebrate with us, and, boy, did HE make an entrance!

Captain Roger rolled his chair to a position in front of the group, and stopped it short right before the campfire with a fancy 180 degree turn and a little wheelie. Impressive! I couldn’t help seeing that Captain Roger’s legs stopped at the knees. He had a patch over his left eye, and scarring on his face and left arm. Captain Roger didn’t say so, but we learned he had been injured in the Korean War. He’d founded Camp Celebration as a way of doing something good with his life to make up for some of the awful stuff in the world.

Captain Roger didn’t need a microphone to be heard by everyone in the crowd -- except the deaf kids, of course. At every meeting in camp all summer, someone would stand in front of the group and translate what was being said into sign language.

“Hello, campers!” Captain Roger boomed. “Have you been having a good first day at camp?”

A loud chorus of “Yeah’s!” and enthusiastic applause greeted Captain Roger’s question.

“Good!” Captain Roger continued. “You’re here to have a good time. You’re also here to stretch your limits, to do things you might not have thought you could do, and learn about fascinating things you might not have known existed. We hope you’ll also make new friends while you’re here.”

Captain Roger went on to tell us about some of the things we’d be doing. In addition to swimming, canoeing, crafts, and things like that, there would be activities designed to help all of us manage our individual situations. For kids in wheelchairs, (he said there were 27 of us) Captain Roger promised special “Driver Education” lessons, where we’d learn to maneuver our chairs with more skill -- and maybe show off a little, safely of course. We would also learn to strengthen our upper bodies. That would make it easier for us to get in and out of our chairs, swim, paddle canoes,and do other things, even play basketball.

Deaf kids would have lessons in advanced lip reading, advanced sign language and, if they wanted, typing lessons. “It’s important that all of us learn to communicate in as many ways as possible,” Captain Roger said. Kids who weren’t deaf would be allowed to learn sign language and typing, too.

Blind kids would be getting what was called “mobility training” to help them learn to get around more easily without getting lost or bumping into things.

Kids in diapers --86 out of 120 campers -- would have classes in managing incontinence and learning to live free and happy in a world that didn’t easily accept that some older kids and adults needed to wear diapers. “There are things we can do to show other people we’re very normal folks who don’t need to be ridiculed or feared,” Captain Roger said. “I’m still the same person I was before I started wearing diapers,” he continued. “I’m always looking for new ways to help people understand that.”

Toward the end of the summer, Captain Roger told us, we would have a swim meet, canoe race, sailboat race, and softball match with Camp Tall Pines, a camp for so-called “normal” kids that was located across the lake. “Some of the kids at Camp Tall Pines” Captain Roger said ,”have a bad attitude. They make up insulting names for Camp Celebration, names like Camp Stinky Pants or Camp Cripple. We don’t pay much attention to their insults. We just work as hard as we can to win the competition each year. I think this will be one of the years we succeed!”

Captain Roger reminded us that there would be church tomorrow for Protestant and Catholic kids. He suggested that it might be good, someltime tonight or tomorrow, to write home and let our folks know we’d arrived safely at camp.

Captain Roger made one more suggestion. He invited us to dream. He said “Dream of something you’ve been wanting to but you’ve been told you couldn’t. Write about your dream in your journal, and let’s see if we can make those dreams come true before this summer’s over!”

I had a dream, not a huge one, but a dream. I dreamed of swimring to the raft before the end of the summer, and climbing up on it all by myself.

After the campfire, and a cowboy movie, which most of the guys liked better than most of the girls, it was time for 8-12 year olds to go to bed. Teenagers could stay up until 11:00 on Saturday night. Gloria and I said good night to Teddy as we headed toward our dorms. I tried “driving” my chair without help, but it was hard work! Reluctantly, I let Gloria push me half the way.

I was amazed at how Uncle Jack and Aunt Sally made getting 20 girls, 14 of whom wore diapers, ready for bed look like it was no work at all. It felt, while I was being changed, like I was the only person Aunt Sally had to care for. Camp diapers felt different from the diapers I was used to, but they weren’t uncomfortable, and they hadn’t leaked on me yet. I noticed that Chester came by, collected all the used diapers and plastic pants, and dropped off clean ones.

I started a letter to Mom and Dad, but started falling asleep with my pen in my hand before I’d written a line. So I rolled my chair over next to my bed, locked the wheels, and pulled myself out of the chair and into bed. I fell asleep almost instantly, and didn’t wake up until morning.

So far, I thought as I was falling asleep, Camp Celebration is a REALLY cool place.

The Family Babies -- Chapter 31 -- A Very Special Saturday

Hi. Susan again. Watching the bus pull away with Teddy, Gloria, and Linda aboard was a strange feeling. I was happy for them, and not jealous about not going with them. But I had never been away from Teddy overnight before, and now he was going to be away all summer. That was the reason why I felt strange.

I suppose Mom and Dad felt strange, too. They were quiet for a minute, until the bus was out of sight. Then Mom and Dad, Uncle Phil and Aunt Bridget, Patty, and I all exchanged goodbyes and returned to our cars.

We dropped Patty off at the town swimming pool. She hadn’t gotten the job as Assistant Playground Supervisor -- at 15 she wasn’t considered old enough -- but she had been hired to work at the pool, selling tickets, working in the refreshment stand, and helping clean up. Patty would also have the opportunity to earn her Senior Lifesaving Certificate, and qualify as a lifeguard for next season.

Dad and Mom were proud of their oldest child, and told her so as we dropped her off at the front entrance to the pool. “See you later, Honey,” Dad said as Patty shut the car door.

“Remember, Dad, I’m going out with some of the kids after work,” Patty said. “I’ll be home by 11:30, I promise.”

As we drove away from the pool, Mom turned around in her seat and asked if I ‘d like to have an adventure today. I’d already noticed we weren’t heading in the direction of home.

“Sure!” I responded enthusiastically. “I’m always ready for an adventure. Where are we going?”

“To Crawford County Park,” Mom explained. You know, there are huge flower gardens to walk in, a petting zoo, and a lake where we might rent a boat.”

Crawford County Park sounded like a great idea to me. The 40 minute drive passed quickly. As we pulled into the parking lot, Mom asked “Do you need to have your diaper changed, Susan?”

“I think so, but I’m not really sure,” I answered. Could you check and see?” More and more, I was enjoying having my diaper checked.

“It’s been more than three hours,” Mom said, pulling the elastic on my plastic pants and checking my diaper. “Oh, yes, this diaper definitely needs changing. You’re a very wet little girl!”

I followed Mom to the women’s restroom. She carried the diaper bag. No one else was in the restroom when we entered a stall and shut the door behind us. Mom peed first, then flushed the toilet, closed the lid and stood me on it. “Could you pull up your dress?” Mom asked. “That would help me a lot.”

I pulled my dress up and held it. Mom pulled down my plastic pants, unpinned my wet diapers, put them in a plastic bag, then cleaned me up and applied baby lotion. Then she pulled up a fresh set of diapers between my legs and pinned one side to the tab on my tee shirt. Next, she pinned the other side of the diaper to the tee shirt. Then she straightened the diaper, repinned one side for a better fit, fastened the two bottom pins to assure a snug fit around the legs, and pulled my plastic pants up snug around my waist. “All done!” Mom said, helping me to the floor.

Mom washed her hands, then held me up to the restroom sink so I could wash mine. I know my plastic pants were clearly visible as I was washing my hands. I didn’t especially care. A woman at the next sink noticed I was diapered and frowned. But she didn’t say anything.

Mom and I dried our hands and left the restroom. Dad was waiting for us with a neat surprise. He’d rented a stroller! I was small for my age -- I looked about five, and in diapers might have passed for four. When Dad lifted me into the stroller, I was delighted to see it fit me perfectly “A chariot for our princess!” Dad exclaimed.

I smiled, giggled, and wet my diaper. That’s unusual, I thought. I’d just been changed, after all.

I won’t even try to describe all the flowers, birds, or butterflies we saw that day at Crawford County Park. What a day! The last time we had visited these gardens, I’d had to walk all day. Today, I rode everywhere. It was grand. After seeing most of the gardens, we went to the petting zoo. Lambs and baby goats are very cute and fun to pet. They don’t smell so good, though. Hmm.. sometimes, neither did I.

When we stopped for lunch, I stayed right in my stroller and enjoyed a hamburger, French fries, and strawberry milkshake. After lunch, I felt the urge to poop, so I did, right where I was. It was the first time I had pooped in a diaper while sitting down.

“Pooping?” Dad asked, seeing me squirm a little, and grunt the way people sometimes do when they’re pooping.

I nodded, and continued focusing on the task at hand. I had discovered it’s easier to poop while standing up, but I didn’t want to go to the trouble of getting out of the stroller.

“Let us know as soon as you’re finished, Dad said. Okay?” He went back to his hamburger.

It took a few minutes for me to finish pooping. I rested for a minute in the middle of pushing out the load. Like I said, it’s not so easy pooping sitting down in a diaper.

“Okay, Daddy, I’m done” I said finally. A family at the next table had noticed what was going on. It was a Mom, Dad, and a son about my age, maybe younger. The son was wide-eyed, obviously surprised to see someone his age pooping in a diaper.

There was a line outside the ladies’ room. Dad and Mom discussed the situation briefly, then Dad wheeled my stroller into the men’s restroom. It was the first time I’d been in a men’s restroom. No one else was there at the moment. I asked Daddy what the urinals were, and why there were big mints in them. Dad explained that they were for men and boys, so they could pee standing up. The “mints” weren’t mints at all, but deodorant cakes to keep down the pee smell.

“I can pee standing up,” I said proudly.

“Hadn’t thought about it, but I guess you can certainly do that in your diaper!” Dad said, lifting me out of the stroller. I waited in a stall while Dad quickly used one of the urinals Dad peed standing up. So did I while I waited for him to come change my diaper.

Diaper changing this time was a little different because there was poop all over my butt. Cleaning me up took longer, but Dad was an expert. I was comfortably re-diapered in less than five minutes. Dad helped me wash my hands, washed his, sat me back down in the stroller, and we left the men’s room.

The Dad and his son from the next table were coming in as we were leaving. The boy gave me the strangest look! I winked at him. He was holding his crotch, doing the potty dance. I remembered so many times when I had to make a dash to the potty. Diapers were definitely more convenient, when you really had to pee!

I wondered what the boy was thinking. At the same time, I reflected on how, not very long ago, I would have been upset beyond belief at the thought of wetting my pants. Now I was doing it -- sometimes on purpose, sometimes by accident -- many times every day, and pooping in my diapers, too. I realized that I didn’t want to think about the time when I would have to go back to wearing regular panties.

Of course, I didn’t NEED to think about going back to regular panties, at least not anytime soon. So I sat back in the stroller and sighed happily.

“That was a BIG sigh,” Dad remarked. “Want to tell me what it’s about?

“Oh, Daddy, I’m just happy!” I said.

“Would a boat ride on the lake make you any happier?” Dad asked.

“I don’t know if I could POSSIBLY be any happier than I am right now, Daddy,” I answered. “But I’d love a boat ride on the lake!”

“So would your Mom and I,” Dad said. “Let’s go rent a boat!”

We had to wait for Mom to come out of the ladies’ restroom. As I said, the line was a long one. When she finally did come out, she said “It’s not fair! We women always have to wait on lines to pee, and men hardly ever do!”

Dad said “Yeah, I know. It isn’t fair.”

“At least I didn’t have to wait!” I said.

“True enough!” Mom said, smiling a little. “Maybe I should wear diapers and have Daddy change them.”

“I’d do it gladly,” Dad said. “You’ve changed mine often enough.”

Oh, but that has always been my pleasure! Mom said, grinning in a way I didn’t often see.

“My point, exactly,” Dad said, matching Mom’s grin with one of his own.

Then both Mom and Dad remembered I was with them, and began discussing what sort of boat we should rent.

We rented a boat called a runabout. Made of wood, the boat was 16 feet long, with seats for four, an outboard motor, and a steering wheel up front. Daddy drove the boat, Mommy sat next to him, and I sat behind them. I wore a life jacket. Mom and Dad had life jackets, but didn’t put them on.

We drove all around the lake, poking around in coves and sometimes speeding up down the main body of the lake. After a while, Mom drove, I sat next to her, and Dad sat in the back seat. Then, when it was getting close to time to take the boat back, Dad took the wheel again and let me sit on his lap. “How would you like to steer the boat for a little while?” Dad asked nonchalantly.

“Oh, boy!” I answered. “Yes!”

Turning the wheel took more muscle than I thought it would. My first attempt at a turn made the boat lurch so badly I thought we’d turn over! My second attempt was much more successful, with Dad’s gentle guidance.

I steered the boat for about ten minutes. When I got up from Dad’s lap, I noticed a wet spot on his pants leg. I knew he hadn’t made the wet spot himself. My diaper must have leaked. I was mortified! I hadn’t realized how wet I was. In fact, I remembered wetting my diaper only once the whole time we were out in the boat.

“Oh, Daddy, I’m so sorry!” I cried.

Dad responded by hugging me. “No big deal, Princess,” he said. “My pants have been wet before, and this won’t be the last time they’re wet. I felt you wetting the first time you tried to turn the boat. You were busy and you didn’t notice. You were having so much fun you probably wet a few times that you didn’t notice. We’ll get you changed as soon as we dock the boat. Please don’t let a little diaper leak ruin a wonderful day!”

“Okay, Daddy,” I said. “You’re too good to me sometimes.”

“It would be impossible to be too good to you, Susie Q!” Dad said, expertly lining the boat up for a smooth docking.

As soon as we were docked, Mom took me to a ladies’ room at the marina. She changed my diaper and put clean plastic pants on me. The plastic pants I’d been wearing were wet.

“Sorry, Honey, these are plain white ones,” Mom said, pulling the plastic pants up over my diapered bottom. She was teasing me about my emerging “passion for fashion,” and I knew it. So I decided to play along. I pretended to pout.

“Oh, Mommy,” I cried, over-dramatically, “How can I let anyone see me in plain white plastic pants? They’re so ORDINARY!”

The scene was ridiculous, of course. I was not a pouty kid at all. and Mom certainly would not have apologized for putting me in plain plastic pants. Both of us laughed out loud.

A woman came out of one of the stalls-- she must have heard what we were saying -- and gave Mom the strangest look. The woman looked like she was about to say something. It might have been the warning look Mom gave her that made the woman change her mind and keep quiet.

Dad had reclaimed the stroller. He helped me back into it. Then we headed for the parking lot, returned the stroller, and climbed into the car.

We stopped at Villa Roma on the way home. All of us liked Italian food, and Dad thought dinner out would be a nice finishing touch to a terrific day. I’d never been out to dinner with just Mom and Dad before. I really did feel like a Princess. I sat on a booster seat so I’d be more comfortable. I wore a paper bib, so that I wouldn’t get sauce on my dress. Mom and Dad wore bibs, too. Just about everyone did at Villa Roma. Lots of good sauce!

I enjoyed my spaghetti and meatballs. Mom and Dad had lasagna. We all had salad. I remembered to eat like a proper young lady, wiping my mouth and chin and winding the spaghetti around my fork instead of sucking it in one strand at a time. We all had spumoni for dessert, one of my favorite kinds of ice cream.

Not wanting to risk another leak on the way home, I asked Mom to check my diaper. She did, and said I wouldn’t need a change until we got home.

The ride home took less than half an hour, but I dozed off almost as soon as the car started moving. I was tired, but very happy. I woke up as Dad was turning the car into the driveway. My diaper felt soggy. I knew I had wet again, so I asked Dad to change me as soon as we were in the house.

After I was changed, Mom, Dad, and I watched TV in the living room until 9:00. I sat between them, and each one had an arm around me. I was enjoying myself so much I would have asked to stay up longer. But my eyes were closing and I didn’t resist when Dad carried me upstairs, changed my diaper one more time and tucked me into bed. Mom knew I wouldn’t stay awake long enough to drink a bottle, so she didn’t prepare one. She and Dad kissed me goodnight, turned out the light, and closed my bedroom door. I never heard the door close. I was already asleep.