LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Pacifier Replacement

Codymoogle

50 members have voted

1. 1.

• No, and when I do eventually get a new pacifier, I throw the old one away.
    • No, and when I do eventually get a new pacifier, I don't throw the old one away.
    • Yes, and I throw the old one away.
    • Yes, and I keep the old one.
  2. 2.

• More often than once a month
    • Every month
    • Every 2 to 4 months
    • Every 4 to 6 months
    • Every 6 to 11 months
    • Once a year
    • Once every two years or beyond
    • Only when the pacifier becomes unusable
  3. 3.

• NUK 4 or 5
    • NUK 3 (toddler size)
    • NUK 1 or 2 (baby size)
    • MAM 0+ (newborn size)
    • MAM 0-6 months (baby size)
    • MAM 6-18 months (baby/toddler size)
    • Playtex Ortho-Pro® Newborn
    • Playtex Ortho-Pro® Older Baby
    • Playtex Binky®
    • The First Years pacifiers
    • Dr. Browns PreVent pacifier
    • Dr. Browns Perform pacifier
    • Other (please list)

Lately I have seen some parents with young children sucking on something that looks an aweful lot like the nipple end off of a bottle. Big and round, all rubber it looks like and definately does not look like your standard pacifier.

Lately I have seen some parents with young children sucking on something that looks an aweful lot like the nipple end off of a bottle. Big and round, all rubber it looks like and definately does not look like your standard pacifier.

Like this?

31FFgWn3-7L._SL500_AA300___94127_std.jpg

It's a soothie pacifier. Made by phillips / avent

• 3 weeks later...

yes, exactly that. Just looks like someone was too cheap to buy a real pacifier and ripped the nipple out of a bottle. just doesn't look right to me when i see one of those in someones mouth.

Like this?

31FFgWn3-7L._SL500_AA300___94127_std.jpg

It's a soothie pacifier. Made by phillips / avent

I can see the logic of parents for chosing this instead of a shop bought pacifier. The reason a pacifier soothes an infant is that it sates the suckling urge. This urge was created to allow the infant to be able to feed, so giving the infant the top of a feeding bottle during the time of transfering the child from breast to bottle can help the child with the transition. Also, letting the child use the bottle top instead of a pacifier can also help with the later transition from bottle to solid food, since the pacifier / bottle top is only associated with food intake.

A large proportion of the world still have the suckling urge - and we can see it in the other forms - ciggerate / cigar smoking, pen sucking / chewing etc, which due to their childhood dependency on a pacifier lost the association of food intake with sucking and associated sucking with self soothing.

I am not saying either methodology is correct. There is no proof to state either works, but I admire parents in their thought processes. It may just be genitics that we keep the suckling urge all our lifes, and in some of us compared to others it is more dominant / prominant so that those people have a need to be constantly sucking something.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Nuk 5 and hand make shield extension to make it larger so it covers quite a bit of my face, exactly as baby dummy does it for babies.

You make a shield extension? If you don't mind, could you please make a post or PM me about how to make one? Thanks ^_^

~ moogle