LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diaper Sets Off Radiation Sensor

Diaper sets off radiation sensor

By UNION-TRIBUNE

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/nov/23/trash-truck-sets-off-radiation-alarm/

Originally published November 23, 2009 at 3:36 p.m., updated November 23, 2009 at 11:47 p.m.

CARLSBAD — A trash truck pulling into a Coast Waste Management transfer station Monday afternoon triggered a radiation sensor, and officials later determined it was caused by a diaper used by someone who had undergone chemotherapy.

The truck was giving off readings of 12 to 16 rems per hour at the facility on El Camino Real near Orion Road, a North Comm fire dispatcher said. Federal officials consider that a low level of exposure. The sensor was triggered about 1:19 p.m.

A hazardous-materials team from Camp Pendleton and San Diego as well as fire crews from Oceanside and Carlsbad responded.

The sensor was set off by an adult-sized diaper inside the truck, said Carlsbad Fire Battalion Chief Mike Lopez.

I can understand how that can happen. I had to undergo a thyroid test and had to injest radioactive iodine. The radiolgist handed me the canister with the pills and instructed me to open it and consume the pills.

Diaper sets off radiation sensor

By UNION-TRIBUNE

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/nov/23/trash-truck-sets-off-radiation-alarm/

Originally published November 23, 2009 at 3:36 p.m., updated November 23, 2009 at 11:47 p.m.

CARLSBAD — A trash truck pulling into a Coast Waste Management transfer station Monday afternoon triggered a radiation sensor, and officials later determined it was caused by a diaper used by someone who had undergone chemotherapy.

The truck was giving off readings of 12 to 16 rems per hour at the facility on El Camino Real near Orion Road, a North Comm fire dispatcher said. Federal officials consider that a low level of exposure. The sensor was triggered about 1:19 p.m.

A hazardous-materials team from Camp Pendleton and San Diego as well as fire crews from Oceanside and Carlsbad responded.

The sensor was set off by an adult-sized diaper inside the truck, said Carlsbad Fire Battalion Chief Mike Lopez.