LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Going Green- Cloth Instead Of Disposables

Sorry if this has already been a topic but I've been trying to switch from disposables to cloth diapers for environmental reasons but so far it's not going so good. I've tried cloth prefold, cloth pullups, AIO, and those snapEZ snap on diapers.

the cloth diapers just aren't as comfortable to me as disposables. I probably like the snapEZ the best so far except that the insert doesn't seem to stay put....like it just sits inside the outer diaper adn moves all over and bunches up...am I doing something wrong with these? seems like there would be a better way to fasten the inside doubler part to the outter part of hte diaper.

Any other conversion tips? I really want to swtich to cloth but just don't like them so far compared to disposable. Seeing alot of hte posts on how much people like cloth, i get hte impression I'm doing something wrong.

i would just like to point out that there have been some studies done that suggest that disposables are not necessarily less environmentally friendly than cloth when you concider all the energy used by washing them and makeing them.

just thaught id let you know so you dont feel that you have to switch to be green.

I love and wear cloth diapers because they work for me.

As for being "green" , I don't believe there is much difference between cloth and disposables. There is a lot of energy used to wash and dry diapers.

The slight advantage is that cloth leaves less of a landfill footprint.

Sorry if this has already been a topic but I've been trying to switch from disposables to cloth diapers for environmental reasons but so far it's not going so good. I've tried cloth prefold, cloth pullups, AIO, and those snapEZ snap on diapers.

the cloth diapers just aren't as comfortable to me as disposables. I probably like the snapEZ the best so far except that the insert doesn't seem to stay put....like it just sits inside the outer diaper adn moves all over and bunches up...am I doing something wrong with these? seems like there would be a better way to fasten the inside doubler part to the outter part of hte diaper.

Any other conversion tips? I really want to swtich to cloth but just don't like them so far compared to disposable. Seeing alot of hte posts on how much people like cloth, i get hte impression I'm doing something wrong.

Hi Katie

If you google "Diaper folding" you'll find many different approaches to a good fit with prefold cloth diapers. Most of the sites won't be ABDL but the info is good anyway;) The debate about 'greenness' varies according to the criteria you use. IMHO cloth is 'greener' mainly because you use less of the Earth's non-renewable resources, and you add less to the landfills. The downside is that you use a lot more water, and the used water had to be dealt with properly. In the end neither side has an overwhelming argument as proof of it's superior 'greenness' :huh: Apply your own criteria and make your own choice B)

Cloth diapers are quite different, especially for girls since the urine flow is concentrated at the lowest and narrowest part of the diaper. 'Flooding' is an issue better handled with good disposables, but only the best disposables will absorb what a good cloth diaper will :) For a sleeker fit pull a pair of hi-waist briefs over the diaper. This also supports the center better. Alternatately use them over the diaper cover but watch that they don't pull it out of place and cause leakage :o I've never used 'contour' diapers but they would seem to make for a sleeker fit :)

Cloth diapers are only a part of a system, the folding, the pinning, and the cover you use needs equal consideration. If you sleep on your side, snap-on pants will leak, but they make for easier changes. If you use multiple layers of diapers the pants need a fuller cut. Hi-waist is better for sleeping but may be too high for daytime wear. Four pins instead of two can make for a better fit with some folds. I have pins from plain to plastic babyish colors to very big 'horse blanket' pins.

As for me, all of these possibilities are part of the pleasure of cloth diapers :wub: I like feeling the wetness and with a waterproof cover you stay warm long after wetting. I have many covers to suit my mood at the moment from prints to colors to cleap or plain white. Some are rubber, some are plastic, some are noisy and some are not. I can add layers of diapers to lengthen the time between changes, and there's no swelling from SAP's to cause unwanted bulges or waddling. Having said that I still use disposables around half the time. In public they are thinner and more discreet, and there's no comparison for convenience and saving time. I prefer cloth(birdseye but flannel is OK if I'm not sitting a lot)but I choose according to the situation at the moment and if a disposable is the best choice then that's what I wear :D 'Green' matters to me but so do a lot of other things ;)

Bettypooh

I have to agree with you. This "climate change" alarmism is a joke. If Algore really believed in his own rhetoric, he would not be traveling around in a private jet nor would he be living in a house that has 200 times the "carbon footprint" of my home.

The big Democrat (Communist) elitist will only make you and me change our lifestyles.

For everyone who loves disposable diapers, enjoy them! I say the same for the people that love a nice warm cloth diaper right out of the dryer!

Fuck the environment. If you seriously think about it,the Earth as a whole has been through much worse things that we as humans can throw at. Trust me on this one. The Earth laughs at disposable diapers,batteries,mercury and aluminum cans.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a sad day when fear, guilt and obsession dictate your life right down to your underwear choices. I could stand in front of a roomful of environmental "experts," pull any random object out of a bag, and after ten years, the room still wouldn't have reached a consensus on whether the object is good or bad for the earth.

Just relax, live, use healthy moderation, take what you need, and entitle yourself to be happy.

I'm a cloth guy too. Babykins.com makes some really good contoured and fitted cloth diapers. I really like the velcro fasteners as they adjust to my waist size. :) I also use their extra soaker. It fits all the way the length of the diaper. And unless I REALLY soak the whole diaper, it never shifts. You might want to give those a try.