LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Making Your Own

Hey, I'm wanting to make another cloth diaper. I made a good "waddle" one out of some sort of fleece type material, but the stuff does not absorb liquids.

Does anyone know what material I should use for the soaker part in the middle? and what should I use for the waterproof outer barrier?

super thick ftw

Gauze, birdseye or terry cotton.

My wife use to make cotton flannel diapers, for me, but we discovered that we could buy them for less than it cost to make them.

Hey, I'm wanting to make another cloth diaper. I made a good "waddle" one out of some sort of fleece type material, but the stuff does not absorb liquids.

Does anyone know what material I should use for the soaker part in the middle? and what should I use for the waterproof outer barrier?

super thick ftw

Hi Lil,

My wife Angela's baby sister Missy not only is a fellow incontinent AB, she is an award-wining Hollywood movie and TV costume designer. Back in 1990 when Missi told AB would make the diapers they had to wear at least fun. Right away Missi designed them several outfits, based on actual toddler and juvenile garments. Because Angela had a studio apartment and Missi did not have a washer at home, they made do with disposables. Angela and I fell in love in May 1991. I had a few new adult gauze prefolds from DPF. Angela and Missi adored them except the were not the right proportions.

Missi has all the same industrial machines any garment factor owns. It only took her a couple of days to find Los Angeles fabric wholesale places with a gauze similar to Curity diaper weave. Locally and in small quantity diaper gauze is very difficult to sew. In factories the edges are fixed using a multi-needle over-lock machine. Setting all the controls to work on gauze is a frustrating art, and Missi almost gave up.

Home sewing has a similar machine called a serger, usually with 4 needles. The one Missi selected at random was powerful enough to handle gauze and only cost about $500 slightly used. Missy simply took it to an expert serger mechanic along with ayard of gauze and he adjusted it perfectly. Missi only uses that particular serger to make her own prefold gauze diapers.

Gerber uses a synthetic non-woven product call Kodafil as the soaker "sponge" Probably any similar non-woven will do, and most fabric stores sell that. It is used for many things.

The sewing of gauze to hold the soaker in place needs a ziz-zag machine that can make a very narrow zig-zag.

It takes a lot of practice to sew elastic in place. Usually that is done on a zig-zag machine set to "Elastic" with an elastic stretcher foot installed. Any sewing machine stor has those. Factory AIO usually use softer Lycra, which comes to them with the elastic and the cover separate. There are professional Lycra machines for spools of rubber and covering and a special foot to assemble everthing as the neddle does its thing. Missi owns one of those, which was very expensive. She uses it for many costumes. She does not make plastic panties because there are factories doing it at low cost.

Fabric stores sell PUL, which is a supple waterproof material, fabric coated with plastic.

There are several Yahoo groups devoted to home sewing diapers, AIO and baby things. Be careful there because they are all anti-AB. There are a few on-line stores selling everything you need to make diapers.

how do you do the elastic thingies to prevent leaks?

the parts that wrap around the legs