LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Mama Bear Syndrome

Hello! I've lurked on this forum for some time and haven't posted before. I've wanted to try my hand at writing ABDL stories, so I finally buckled down and finished one. Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Feedback and critique is welcomed and appreciated!

-----

Mama Bear Syndrome

Scott Dawson crept into his home, not daring to make a sound. He tip-toed across the violet carpet with peak stealth–as much stealth a man his size could muster. He was tall and well-built, which, unfortunately didn’t help much for producing quieter footsteps.   Slowly, he peaked his head pass the door frame to the kitchen. Not a person in sight. That was a good sign…right? his wife–a woman so punctual she made the Sun jealous–was always there to greet when him arrived from work at 5:15 PM on the dot. She had made a point of it every day with one trademark greeting or another prepared. “Welcome home darling!” was most commonly seen in the first few years of their marriage, eventually proceeded by “Oh, your back already?” Before recently, Scott was used to being met with a command or chore as his greeting, reserving all the sweetness for their son Julian. “Did you take out the garbage yet?” was not quite as loving, but compared to today? He wasn’t sure which he preferred.

“That’s weird,” Scott whispered to himself. “I don’t think she’s home yet. M-maybe I can just hide out in the garage or–

“What are you doing?” Minerva asked.

Scott nearly jumped out of his coat. Like a ghost, his wife appeared right before him without a sound. Minerva’s usual distant apathy was absent. Instead, he retained a more wide-eyed and concerned demeaner.

“Wah!” Scott shrieked out. “Jeez mama, don’t sneak up on me like that!” Scott’s wife laughed and moved closer to him. She cupped his cheeks in his hands, not at all minding his personal space.

“Aw, did I make you jump? I’m sorry sweetheart. Did you have a hard day today, dearie?” Minerva asked, still smushing her husband’s cheeks. “I wouldn’t want you stressed on your big day.”

Scott wanted to scoff at the sentiment. He hardly considered his birthday to be ‘big day’ like it was some type of annual promotion. He didn’t see growing old as achievement—it was more of a heads up for all the grey hair he’d be expecting.

Minerva, however, had the most romantic ideas when it came to birthdays. Cake, confetti, those pointy striped hats (a tradition that always confused Scott)—she spared no expense for hers truly. The parties were always private, as the pair both shared a mutual dislike for cleaning up after groups of people, despite to two never doing anything mischievous on those days. Minerva magically managed to make Scott feel younger year after year, and today was no exception.

“C’mon mama,” Scott whined, “Can’t we just skip the party stuff this time?”

Minerva shook her head. “Certainly not. I already have the whole day planned. Today is very special occasion. You only turn two once!”

Scott had room to argue otherwise.

This year, however, was already making him feel a too much younger. With his attempts to escape birthday time foiled, Scott sighed in defeat. “Yes dear,” was all he could say as let himself being led to the bathroom to be cleaned up so the ‘fun’ could begin. He thought about how worried he used to be about growing old to soon. Right now, those thoughts were the farthest thing from his mind.

Minerva’s symptoms were always flaring up during the holidays. Whether it was time to celebrate Saint Paddy or Saint Nick, holidays were the perfect occasion to put Minerva in a motherly mood. Easter time that Scott got his own personal Easter egg hunt around the house, dressed as the cutest little bunny. Just last Halloween Scott wore a black-and-yellow onesie with a fussy headband for his bay-bee (get it?) outfit. New Year’s Eve? Pretty self-explanatory. A birthday like this was just par for the course.

Sitting in the bathroom were the usual suspects. A large changing mat already unfolded on the bathroom floor. A diaper bag fitted to pamper any grown man. And a large package of adult diaper. Calling them adult was more than generous as they decorated with anchors and cartoon fish. It didn’t matter how long they had been married. Scott never got used to diaper changes.

Minerva unzipped the front of Scott’s work jumpsuit, revealing a white t-shirt stained with dirt, and a white diaper stained with urine. Scott had wet himself on the bus ride home, and the padding had gone cold and clammy since then. He was not incontinence, it just felt easier to let go sometimes. “You poor thing. Come on, let’s get up cleaned up.” There was genuine concern in Minerva’s voice. She hated the idea of her baby boy having to squirm in a wet diaper all day.

Having to wear a diaper at work was a lot easier than it sounded. Sure, the conversion with his boss was embarrassing, but the diaper was easy to hide under his jumpsuit and no one gave his any flack for it. Boxers and briefs were off the table at this stage of Minerva’s condition, and Scott had made peace with that.

Scott was not in a fighting mood. He let himself be stripped of his ‘big boy clothes’ and laid on the changing mat. Minerva hummed a tune and got to work. He wrinkled his nose involuntarily as Minerva shook the baby powder over him, sweet scent never failing to make him feel small. Lavender and chamomile certainly did not scream ‘man of the house’. Scott lifted his bum and let Minerva slide the oversized padding under him. He always wondered where Minerva bought such big diapers from. Maybe there were specialty store online for people with her condition? Scott was never the most tech-savvy guy. He could barely check his email, let alone find a store where they sell giant baby diapers. While Scott was busy musing, Minerva had already finished taping his up, a few gentle pats on the front grabbing his attention.

Minerva was always so gentle during diaper changes. It was one parenting duty Scott was more than happy to let Minerva take the reins on whenever it came up. She took her time and was never rough when rubbing in the powder or wiping mess away. It was a fact their son Julian was always too young to appreciate as well as something Scott would have a hard time forgetting.

“All done!” Minerva chimed. She pulled Scott upright and gave him a kiss on the forehead. “Arms up now,” Scott lifted his arms and Minerva pulled a white shirt over him. Scott tugged at shirt and saw navy blue collar with a matching anchor on the front. A sailor suit? A small patch of his belly was exposed, showing a patch of baby fat at his midriff. This was no doubt intentional; Scott had not put on weight recently and Minerva knew his measurements by heart.

Scott quickly picked up the maritime theme. Of course, There was always theme with Minerva. He wasn’t sure why she picked a naval theme though. The idea probably just popped into her head, and she stuck with it. “Is my little sailor ready to set sail for birthday fun!?” Minerva asked. Scott nodded, trying his best to fake enthusiasm. Minerva didn’t seem to mind either way.

The living room was decorated to the nines. Blue and white streamers were hung from the ceiling with care. Plush sharks and fish were set up in empty chairs as party guest.  There was a big banner across the wall that read: “HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOTTY!!!” The whole arrangement must have taken hours to set up, But Minerva didn’t look the least bit tired. She must have been working on it since morning. She was still wearing her robe and pajama bottoms.

“I bet my little sailor wants to open his presents now, doesn’t he?” Scott didn’t mind jumping straight into the present. From his ‘Mommy’s’ perspective, he had been tired from playing in the sun all day was excited to get home for his birthday party. Work was tiring more often than not, so she was not too far off. Maybe Mommy was just too tired for playtime today, it was hard to tell.  Scott looked around the room and walked—waddle was more like it, with way his diaper made him walk—toward the pile of wrapped packages.

Scott got on his knees and lifted a rectangular package. He gave to box a few shakes, and it barely made a sound. He squeezed the box, and felt the contents push inwards. Scott wasn’t sure why he did this when it was plainly obvious what was inside. He carefully pulled back the edges of the wrapping paper, because he knew Minerva would want to reuse it next year. Inside was a package of—get this— ‘adult’ diapers.

More specifically, they were a package of Snuggles: Teddy Edition brand diapers. He had become intimately familiar with Snuggles in the past year. A glance at his backside proved that much. The diapers he wore to work were simple and white, designed for people who actually incontinent. Snuggles brand was always decorated with cutesy cartoon animals or baby paraphernalia Snuggles brand was clearly designed for an audience of giant babies. Unfortunately, he had become their prime demographic.

The diapers were comfortable, but Scott didn’t like to think about it. He didn’t like that he could now tell difference between two brands based on feel alone. He didn’t even like how beginning to develop a preference for certain ones. No man this age should a favorite brand of diaper.

As Scott turn around, ready to open the next package, he saw Minerva waving at him and holding a disposable camera. “Don’t worry Scotty. Mommy is just taking a couple pictures for your baby book. Go on now!” Scott sighed. With all the picture Minerva took, his baby book would be a four-part series. He turned around and was on to the next package.

There was a thin yellow gift sitting to the last one. He pulled back the paper to reveal a series of onesie all in his size. Minerva had probably sewn half of them herself.

Minerva snapped some pictures. Next gift.

There was a small green box by his foot. He lifted the top, and inside was a trove of pacifiers. There were enough colors to fill three different rainbows.

Minerva snapped some more pictures. Next gift.

There was a giant plush shark with a bow on it. Scott pulled off the bow a gave it a squeeze. It was sufficiently soft. He never cared for stuffed animals though.

More pictures. More gifts.

Pictures. Gifts.

Pictures. Gifts.

“Okay honey, that’s everything.” Minerva chimed. “You had a big haul this year. My little sailor got a lot of treasure this year!” Scott was just glad to be finished.

Scott stood up and stretched. “Welp, that fun. Guess it time for me go beddy-bye, right Mama?”

“Since when you do want to turn in early? Did my little boy get bit by the good-manners bug? We still haven’t had dinner yet.” Minerva walked up to Scott and started rubbing his tummy. “I know you worked an appetite today! You can go to bed after din-din and cake.”

Yup, another attempt to dodge birthday humiliation foiled. Scott was bad when it came to exit strategies. He gave his hand to Mama and was led to kitchen. Birthday time wasn’t over just yet…

The kitchen was much less decorated. The only thing birthday related he could see was cake sitting on the kitchen counter. When he saw the number two candle on top of it, his mind started to drift.

Two years. So much had happened in just two years. Two years, Minerva had been her normal self. It was true that they were growing apart, but it was better than her acting like Mother Goose. Two years ago, they had been a normal family. The have an actual conversation with one another. Two years ago, their son was still—

*click*

Scott snapped back to the present. He looked down and realized he was already settled into his highchair; the tray being locked in place. Scott groaned. The diapers were definitely the worst part of his new lifestyle, but the highchair was a solid runner-up. Even when it was only sitting in kitchen, the giant white chair looked a joke, like it was a lost movie prop. Was that all he was now, a big joke? Some giant manbaby stuck in an unfunny comedy?

The worse part was that it made him feel stuck. As soon the tray was locked into place, he couldn’t get out until Mommy said so. He hated how high up it was, forcing his feet to swing freely midair. The tips of his toes just barely missed the kitchen floor. All he could do was wait like a good little boy. No wonder babies hated those things. He didn’t even try to struggle like real baby would, less he risks breaking something.

“Dinnertime! Eat all up, then when can cut your cake.”

Minerva placed a plate of fish sticks and mac-and-cheese on top of the tray. His silverware was plastic and tinted blue. It wasn’t any special, but it stayed with the theme well enough. Minerva probably would have breaded the fish herself if she had the time or the energy.

As Scott looked down at his tray, he the sound of stomach rumbling. Yet, he didn’t feel anything, and had not been that hungry. He looked over to Minerva—not just as a glance, he gave her a real in-depth onceover.

It was the first time today that he noticed the bags under her eyes. Her face had looked so tired, so worn. He was right about her working on his party since morning. Had she even stopped to eat? She didn’t need to push herself like this for him. He didn’t want to do that, to starve herself, over something so stupid. He was supposed to look after. He wanted to hold her in his arm, forget about all the fighting, and just let her rest.

“Does my special guy want his Mommy to feed him?” Minerva asked, not missing a beat.

No way! Minerva needed to eat something. “No! I can it myself!” Scott hastily picked up the plastic spoon before Minerva could react. He scooped a bite of mac-and-cheese into mouth, “I can do it, see!?” He shoveled down his dinner, leaving crumbs and specks of cheese on his shirt. Pride be damned, his wife needed a break.

Minerva chuckled, “My, someone’s an eager beaver all of sudden! I didn’t even get a chance to tie a bib on you. You’re going straight to the tub after dinner.” It was clear to Minerva that her baby didn’t need help feeding right now. Minerva walked over to the fridge and pulled out a small salad. It was after watching her baby plow through his dinner, Minerva realized how hungry she was. She sat next to Scott, only turning to him to help wipe some of the food stuff off his cheeks. Baby or not, Scott was always such a messy eater.

Soon enough, the two had finished their dinner. Minerva had taken their plates to the kitchen sink to be washed later. Now was the time for cake.

Minerva dimmed the lights and lit the birthday candle.

Happy Birthday to you…

This was it. This was the main event. This is part where the birthday boy gets a big slice of cake and a standing ovation. It was truly a one-of-a-kind experience, watching children with grow and nurturing their limitless potential. Everyone would look on awe of the little one, so excited to see him grow up. What kind of man would he grow up to be?

Happy Birthday to you…

What kind of man had he grown up to be? It was hard for Scott to say. Of course, when he was a baby, an actual baby, he didn’t have think about such grand questions like that. He was kind to other and tried to help when he could. But, when he young, he didn’t have any great ambitions beyond that.  If there was one thing he had to have to life, it probably had to be… a wife. Not just someone to lean on, but someone to care for in turn. Scott like to help and be held. He liked to be needed. He followed that thought, that need, intently and it led him to Minerva.

Happy Birthday sweet baby

Minerva was just like Scott. Whereas Scott always wanted to be needed, Minerva always needed to help. It was almost a tick for her. She would always push herself for others, drive someone to the moon and back, not even expecting a thanks in return. She would have worn herself to the bone a long time ago if things had stayed that way. But she met Scott, and life didn’t have to go that way. When Minerva needed to rest her weary head, Scott was there. Whenever there was too much work, Scott would pitch in. He was like a big teddy bear that you squeeze and make all of life’s problem go away for a while. Were they in love? It sure felt like it. Why not stay that way forever? That was exactly what they did. That feeling was why they would marry each other. That feeling was why they had a son.

Happy Birthday to you.

Julian. Scott had missed a lot of things from the past, from his old life. He missed flirting with Minerva between classes in high school. He missed the long chats the two of them would share at night. He missed stroking Minerva’s hair when she was tired. But most of all, he missed their son Julian. For Scott and Minerva, there had been many mistakes in marriage, many reason for the two to drift apart. Julian was no one of them. Julian was a constant joy in their lives. It was so exciting, watching him grow up and blossom into a strong young man. Every birthday of his truly was a happy one.

Come on now Honey! Blow out the candles!

Julian was different from parents. He lacked their codependent tendencies. Julian loved his folks, but as he got older, he saw that there was something off about his parents’ relationship. There was certain air of neediness that he couldn’t deny. It was practically symbiotic, the way his parents doted over one another. If mom had a smudge on her face dad would wipe it away. They finished each other’s sentences, talked together like twins in a horror movie. It was sickeningly sweet. It was downright disturbing. It was what Julian want to be away from them.

Hurray! Let me cut of a big slice for the birthday boy!

He confronted them about it. His folks just laughed it off. When he yelled and cursed and bawled at them during dinner, they were not laughing. Having mister and misses Rogers as your parents just wasn’t cool when you reach high school. When you lived in a small town like theirs, it made you liable to get your ass kicked. If the fighting had done for Julian’s parents, it had been a wakeup call.

Attaboy! Such a good eater!

The house was a lot quieter after that. Scott and Minerva had lost something after that night as well. Were they doing something wrong? Was there a wrong way to fall in love? Maybe.  Truthfully, Scott and Minerva had never taken the time to work out their own issues. The spark the two had nurtured had been replaced with doubt. Whatever love was it wasn’t supposed to feel this guilty.

Slow down kiddo! We have to get all this on tape!

Julian avoided his all throughout high school. There was no bonding, just short bullet point conversation. Just deflated sighs and rolled eyes. Julian wanted to be away from his parents. He wanted out. He kept to himself and spent most of free time researching place to go after high school. He had lots of options, all far from home. All he had to do was pick one. He didn’t even have a party of his eighteenth birthday. The day after he graduated, he backed his bags and joined the Navy and left his family behind. The gap between Scott and Minerva had widened even more after that.

I bet he can’t wait for next year!

Julian never came home.

“Mother bear syndrome?” Scott asked, “I’m sorry doctor, I’ve never heard of it. It is bad?” Scott almost kicked himself for asking that question. Nothing good had syndrome attached to the end of it. This is why Scott hated hospitals. You can on top of the world one day, then walk into a hospital and leave with a disorder, or a disease, or a syndrome.

“To be honest, I’ve never seen a case myself. “Dr. Lambert explained, “It was first documented only a few years ago. The name comes from the feeling of overprotectiveness some women experience during trauma. I’m sorry to ask this, but how have you two been coping recently?

Scott stiffened up. He knew the question was coming. Scott still hadn’t come terms with what happen to Julian. The wound was still fresh, and it was like there was an invisible knife being twisted in his chest every time he thought about it.

Scott sighed. “I’ve just been taking it one day at time, y’know. I thought Minerva was starting to turn around. When we first got the news, Minerva just…” Scott lost his words, wasn’t sure what to say. Was it right to talk about Minerva like this? She was only a few feet away in the lobby, it felt like his was talking behind her back. What else could he do? She was in no mental state to give her side of the story.

“Mr. Dawson, your wife is experiencing extreme levels of trauma. So far, mother bear syndrome has only been present in patient with a history of psychological abuse. Now, her file says she had issue during her childhood. Was she ever treated for that?

Scott must have not heard the doctor, because he picked up right were he left off. “Minerva just stopped. She stayed in bed all day; she wouldn’t even talk to me. I couldn’t even bring out of bed for the funeral.”

“Mr. Dawson, what happened to you and your wife is perfect understandable.” The doctor actively avoided using words such as natural or normal. There was nothing normal about good men dying so young.

“What should I do doctor? Is there some sort of treatment?” “Scott was ready for facts now. The couple was well off, but they were not wealthy. Still, he was willing to work himself to the bone to make her well again.

The doctor paused for a moment, trying to find the right words. He pulled a leaflet from his desk and handed it to Scott. “At the current stage, there is not much we can do for her. Mrs. Dawson would need to be monitored further until we could we say how to treat her.

Scott looked at the pamphlet. It showed different picture of young adult helping elderly citizens. It was sprinkled his buzz phrases like ‘we are here for you’ and ‘help is closer than you think’. He read the name: “Pleasant Valley Behavioral Health Institute”. It was a brochure for a mental hospital.

Scott felt his blood start to boil. He wanted to leap over Lambert’s desk, slug him right between his glasses. He wasn’t even man enough to tell it to Scott straight. ‘Sorry that your wife is broke, better ship looney bin’, right? He couldn’t take it. He could not take losing his family in such a rapid-fire succession. But he also could not afford to blow up right. He needed to cool down.

Scott stood up, placed the pamphlet on the desk, and began to walk out of the room. “I’m leaving,” was all he said he closed the door behind him. He didn’t know if Lambert called after him, and he did not care. All wanted to do was leave with his wife. He made his way to lobby, took Minerva by hand, and left the hospital.

“Is everything alright honey?” Minerva asked sweetly. “Were you a good by for the doctor.”

Scott simply nodded; he was too drained to talk. He didn’t know how, but

Scott would find a way to help Minerva. Whatever it cost, he would stay beside her. He had too.

“I know you don’t like going to the doctor sweetie, but it’s all over now. Come on, let go home and you can talk a nice long nap. Doesn’t that sound good?”

At the time, it really did.

After dinner, it was bath time. Bath time was okay. It was the only time when didn’t have crinkly padding strapped to his butt, diaper changes notwithstanding. It felt good, just to zone out in tub after a hard day of work.  It was like a spa day, if it wasn’t the troupe of bath toys, he had to share it with. Minerva would coo at him like usual, but he was not expected to do, apart from moving sometimes so she could scrub the hard-to-reach places. It was so close to being normal, being like the old days. It only lasted for half an hour on most days, but Scott cherished bath time none the less.

It was late, and bath time was now over. Minerva dried her baby boy off and changed him into a nighttime diaper. Scott got to wear one his birthday presents to bed, a warm footed sleeper that was blue and decorated with white fluffy clouds.

“Since it’s such a special day, how about you cuddle up with mama for tonight,” said Minerva. Scott did not really have say in matter, but he would not have refused either way.

The couple got into bed and snuggled under the covers together. Minerva squeezed Scott tight, nuzzling her head on his chest. Scott stroked her hair nice and easy, the way she always liked.  It was Scott’s turn to coddle her. Minerva murmured wearily.

“My baby… Mama’s never letting you go again…”

A few seconds later, Minerva was snoring, something she only did when she was exhausted. She really had been working all day. Scott hugged her close, until he himself drifted off.

In the morning, Scott would go to back to work. Minerva would strap Scott in the highchair, make him breakfast and pick out clothes for him. She would walk Scott the bus stop and wave him off for day, business as usual.

Right now, Scott didn’t have to worry about that. Right now, they were sleeping together again.

Right now, it felt good to be Mama’s baby.

• Like 7
  • 1 year later...

While you need to proof read more carefully, this is a really good story.  Love isn't about need, it's about caring and sacrifice, and you score this point in a way that I've never encountered on this site before.  Thank you for sharing this with us.